Thread: Anyone else finding missile units uselesS?

Default Anyone else finding missile units uselesS?

They deal no damage at all, especially against higher tier units, that is pretty easy to aqquire. Even the javalins are pretty useless.
    I find battles much easier if i don't recruit any missile infantry at all, and just get some shock units instead.

Default Re: Anyone else finding missile units uselesS?

Quote Originally Posted by Topkeks View Post
    They deal no damage at all, especially against higher tier units, that is pretty easy to aqquire. Even the javalins are pretty useless.
    I find battles much easier if i don't recruit any missile infantry at all, and just get some shock units instead.

Well lets take a look why you might consider otherwise:

1)They are very cheap units
    2)They aren't really there to deal high amount of damage, they are there for breaking morale of other troops
    3) I use them mostly when they are out of amunition for chasing down after battle was won or for flanking followed by a calvary unit
    4)They are also great choice vs elephant and phalanx (speed of which they can flank)
    5) all in all you shouldn't really look at them as primary a ranged damaged dealers. Hope it helps

It really depends on the faction. For greeks You may be right, but definately not for easterners.
    The difference between greek archer unit and one of the eastern factions (definately Armenia and Media, I would assume Parthia (haven't played it yet)) is immence. Just range increase from 120>160 is extremely helpfull, the damage is better too. It feels very much like Rome 1 and it produces results.
    Cheap results too. Previous commenter mentioned how cheap archers are often used to boast numbers, fill your stack.

Thats Attila for You. It works that way.
    If You've played Alani then You shouldn't be surprised.
    Basically they have no foot skirmishers and horse archers. Horse javs are mostly , also expensive.
    That leaves you with cheap and well armoured shock infantry with precursors. ... And catapharacts...
    A deadly combo indeed.

Think you might be right Plush. I'am playing as the greek states, and their missile infantry is utter garbage haha, like really ... I just do 4 pike, 4 shock, 8 spears and 4cav, and so far its pretty steamroll up through Germania at H/H. Don't even need siege engines, ladders and the extra melee makes siege battles easy.

I've actually got an idea that might help missile troops be a bit more interesting
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Pray tell, Petellius!

I got a defensive general with the mercenary creatin archers, they are actually good once they get some XP, they're good for shooting retreating units.. But slingers and javalins are pretty 'meh' in skirmish all around, unless you walk em all around to shoot enemy in the back. But even then, having shock troops flanking is way better and and result in less casualties for you and higher casualties for the enemy.

And regarding the germanic tribes and their archers, they actually have the WORST archers lol. 2-3 missile damage at rank 1... Where as creatin archers got a standard of 6 missile damage.

Eladryel's Avatar Foederatus

If I can, I use the better archers, like cretan mercenaries, and I find them really useful. They are great for breaking the moral, deal with light infantry and light cavalry. Against elephants, I find the javelinmans really helpful, furthermore, they are devestating, if they can manage to attack from behind. I think, ranged units are balanced now, buffing them would be an overkill, arrows shouldn't massacre frontally heavy units with good armor and/or shields.

If you play as Arascids, you can go to east Iran/Afghanistan and hire mercenary indian archers who have 220 range and can get hundreds of kills per fight. the mercenary indian warriors have a powerful charge and excellent stamina.