Thread: Taxable income

Default Taxable income

So, I want to make sure that castle-fortress-citadel and their barracks/bowyer/stables require money to be maintained. I first tried this with the income_bonus bonus -x but that didn't work out since the settlement will need buildings with income_bonus bonus x in the first place to be detracting it from.

So then I thought....Hey...Why not trade_base_income_bonus bonus -1 and taxable_income_bonus bonus -10.

Well, the trade base income bonus negative works, basically too much to the point trade income is basically negated entirely. Which will need some tweaking to get it more to the point it'll reduce trade but not entirely diminish the trade.

The issue I am coming across though, is the taxable income. It starts in castle with -12%, fortress -25% and citadel -40%. However, there is no change in taxable income when upgrading the castle to the fortress nor is there any change when improved to a citadel. I've tested this with several settlements and it always remained at the same level and the only real change on the income was the amount of population present in the settlement.

Do I need to dive into the descr_settlement_mechanics in order to have a more prominent effect on this or is there simply a cap on how much income bonus you can actually "remove" from a settlement? Cuz as far as I know, descr_settlement_mechanics doesn't differentiate between castles or cities.

Any help would be nice.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Taxable income

You could script it. If only the player gets hit with these costs then it's fairly simple...

Code:
    monitor_event SettlementTurnEnd FactionIsLocal
      and SettlementBuildingExists = castle
      console_command add_money -100
    end_monitor

and SettlementBuildingExists = fortress
      console_command add_money -200
    end_monitor

and SettlementBuildingExists = citadel
      console_command add_money -300
    end_monitor

and SettlementBuildingExists = mustering_hall
      console_command add_money -20
    end_monitor

and SettlementBuildingExists = garrison_quarters
      console_command add_money -30
    end_monitor

;...other buildings...
    You could mention the costs in the building description texts, if you need to see them.

Hmm...That could indeed work but will it show up in the financial statement? Cuz if it doesn't then you'd get to the point where people are seeing an income of 2500 but only getting 1200 or less due to having castles of a certain size.

Gigantus's Avatar Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Negative income bonus will work thus:

Add a bulk amount to the core buildings for every faction (or just the player)
    deduct via event counter at other building trees for whatever faction is the player

The aim being that additional funds available at the start will eventually dry up. This should reflect in the summary screen (haven't tested).

So basically put in the EDB and then use the script to deduct the funds at turn start/end.

Gigantus's Avatar Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea

Blog Entries

Nope, both through EDB - with an event counter condition for the player for the deduction:

Code:
    ;   script monitors
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
    	set_event_counter [your preferred countername] 1
    end_monitor

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart not FactionIsLocal
    	set_event_counter [your preferred countername] 0
    end_monitor

; EDB deduction example
    	capability
    	{
    		income_bonus bonus [negative amount] requires factions { all, } and event_counter [your preferred countername] 1
    	}

Ok, I've input the script monitor into the edb but that lead to a crash, are you certain the script monitor has to be in the edb and not in the campaign_script?

The 2nd part ; deduction example that has to be in the edb behind the capability that I know. Thus far I've been unable to wrap my head around it and simply lowered the taxable and trade income from castles through the descr_settlement_mechanics. But that also impacts the AI unless I give the Ai extra income. Would that be doable?

income_bonus bonus 200 requires factions { all, } requires event_counter is_the_ai 1

I'd figure that'd work a bit easier. Does that also require a line in the campaign_script or does it work without adding a line to it?

Blog Entries

My bad for not being more precise - scripts\monitors obviously belong into the campaign_script file.

The is_the_AI event_counter you are testing for is exactly what the two monitors were enabling (it's not a hard coded event counter). Simply replace the [your preferred counter name] place holders in those monitors with it

In your latest EDB example however that will result in a positive amount (200) to be given to the player. If you intend to give a positive amount to the AI instead then you need to exchange the zero and one values in the script. A deduction for the player requires a negative amount.

Note: the EDB can only test for the true (1) event, hence you will need to adjust either the script or the purpose (deduct or add) in the EDB.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 27, 2019 at 10:11 PM.

Ok, and how can I check in the log that it is actually firing for the AI? Or does it already make an event for the Ai in the log?

Cuz the idea is to basically give the AI extra tradeable and taxable income from castles using this while keeping the tradeable and taxable income from castles for the player lower through the descr_settlement_mechanics.
    Last edited by Tyranno85; February 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Well, it's the monitor in the script that sets the event counter to 1 when it's an AI faction's turn - the event condition in the EDB then takes it from there. You could add a log message line to check in the log later but it won't help you much beyond that the monitor's conditions have been met. Alternatively you could trigger a historic event message in game - which will drive you nuts after one turn as you will have as many messages popping up every turn as you have AI factions.

As long as the 'not FactionIsLocal' monitor sets the counter to 1 and the other one sets it to zero then the EDB event condition will only be true for AI factions.

Ok, well. I've got the following down in the campaign_script

Code:
    script monitors
    monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionIsLocal
        set_event_counter is_the_ai 0
    end_monitor

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart not FactionIsLocal
        set_event_counter is_the_ai 1
    end_monitor
    and I've added the following to the edb

Code:
            citadel castle requires factions { northern_european, mesoamerican, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
            {
                convert_to 2
                capability
                {
                    wall_level 4
                    tower_level 2
                    gate_strength 5
                    law_bonus bonus 5
                    recruitment_slots 8
                    religion_level bonus 3
                    taxable_income_bonus bonus 40 requires factions { all, } and event_counter is_the_ai 1
                    trade_base_income_bonus 20 requires factions { all, } and event_counter is_the_ai 1
    The event messages could work for testing purposes, they'd obviously have to be removed when its confirmed as working.
    Last edited by Tyranno85; February 28, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Blog Entries

The script monitors line needs to be removed in the campaign_script file - it was comment (hence the semi-colon that prevents a line from being processed). Otherwise this will now take effect for the AI only in that particular castle level. However:

Quote Originally Posted by King Philip II View Post
    I know that taxable_income_bonus does not work, but does anyone know for certain if "income_bonus" has no effect?
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 28, 2019 at 07:45 PM.

Hmm...Well, in the testing I did with introducing taxable_income_bonus bonus (negative) I did see a reduction in the amount of income from taxes but it was negligible to say the least. I'll go and see if I can confirm what King Philip says. And it is indeed as per that particular castle level. The AI bonus starts of small with 5% increase in tax and reaches 40% when on citadel. So as long as the line
    Code:
     and event_counter is_the_ai 1
    Is present (I don't know why it stays red, I've clicked black a dozen times now) it should fire for the AI. I just picked the citadel level because it is the highest gain for the AI.

Ok, I've tested the taxable_income_bonus bonus and from what I've gathered, is that the taxable income bonus is applied the moment the building becomes available, not when the building is build. Which means adding an extra line behind that says
    Code:
     and building_present_min_level core_building wooden_pallisade
    or whichever level of wall/castle you want.
    Last edited by Tyranno85; March 01, 2019 at 04:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Font colour - don't colour all the way to the end of your typing because most of the time the end tag is after your last letter and adding more letters simply get enclosed in the tag. So see it, click the left most symbol on the edit list (those two As) - it will display the code. Move your cursor after the last code, in this case [/COLOR] and then type.
    Easiest way to avoid this issue is to apply colour after you have typed further.

Do let us know your findings regarding the bonus.

Well, I can't say anything conclusive. When I increased the population growth to reach pallisade wall I saw a high increase in tax income (normal tax rate), basically doubling it (I put it on +100%) but I can't verify if that was from the growth itself or the bonus from the building.

I will test again this time with and building_present_min_level core_building wooden_pallisade and incrementally increase the population growth. That way I can see clearer, I hope, where the increase in tax income comes from. I'll also increase and decrease tax rates to see if that has an impact.

Ok, it seems to be from population growth and not the extra taxable income line.
    Last edited by Tyranno85; March 02, 2019 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

I just read through the thread again: you applied the bonus to a core building level, which means the moment you have upgraded your settlement\castle the bonus becomes available. A bonus will never become available if the associated building level does not exist. You also added another monetary bonus which may have skewed the results of your testing.

Best way to check if the income tax bonus works: start a game and check the income (tax and total) in a settlement, then give that settlement level (or an existing building level) the bonus and check again.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 02, 2019 at 09:16 PM.

Ok, I've made a non hinterland non core building we're not using into a test building; town required, bonusses as per edb; happiness +5, taxable income 100, trade increase +10, income bonus 1500, population growth 2.
    I'll make screenshot prior to building it and when it is build.

Ok, it seems King Philip is correct. I've made a screenshot of every move that I made.

Base population and income of village Azgad

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Added 1100 population in order to grow it to a village

This saw an increase in the tax rate. I quickly checked the edb, no taxable income bonus bonus was to be found on the walls. So the logical conclusion would be the population growth.

I then just went through 2 turns so pallisade wall could be build. This was the town before I started building the next building;

The building that I quickly assigned to the task;

The game showing the effects of when the building is placed in the queue;

The next turn

I'll also go and put the population back 400 to see what happens with the tax rate. Nevermind...I put the minimum amount of people in villages on 1400 -.- so I'll need to edit the settlement mechanics first. Which makes the save crash.

But I think I've shown that the population growth was the major factor in showing the increase in taxable income and that King Philips is correct in stating that it doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Yeah, increasing the base of the calculation (tax income = pop * tax rate * bonus rate) will hardly yield a conclusive result whether the bonus works. Hence my suggestion about first checking, then adding to an existing building without changing other parameters.

Ok, added it to a building, left population alone.

If taxable income bonus works the income from taxes would've doubled and it would've shown the change in tax income when the building was put in the queue. It didn't and thus the conclusion that it doesn't work can be drawn.

Blog Entries