Thread: Steam's Medieval 2 Total War Definitive edition, ctd on loadup screen

Default Steam's Medieval 2 Total War Definitive edition, ctd on loadup screen

I recently installed the Definitive edition via steam, I can get into the original, the Kingdoms campaigns, but there's no Kingdoms.exe or Launcher.exe in the file system. I've tried all that I can from this thread, http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?745692, but everything CTDs on the SS 6.4 loadup screen, after at least 3 seconds.
    I also note that the SS_launcher.exe gives errors when I click Translations and set English as default, it tells me 2-dozen .txt and other assorted files are missing.
    The download I used was the all-in-one installer listed in the Downloads thread.
    Any help would be rocking.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Steam's Medieval 2 Total War Definitive edition, ctd on loadup screen

Hi Don in the North,

You will want to check out a thread in the Main SS Forum page by Gigantus, follow his instructions for a successful install.

Cheers

NJ

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Gigantus's Avatar When all is lost, ask the I.R.S. - they'll find something
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Steam's Medieval 2 Total War Definitive edition, ctd on loadup screen

The guide describes how to tackle the kingdoms.exe issue in Steam - permanently. On a side note - often setting the executable to win7 compatibility and admin rights as described here helps in a large number of cases like this.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks for your help, I've had mixed success.

I've deleted the ss6 folder, started install again, starting with 6.3, then 6.4, then I've set the medieval2.exe to admin compatibility with Win7, added the /text files recommended, which contain the .bin versions of the .txt, overwritten what's in there. I've also installed the Bugfix compilation 2.7, and I've run the clean-old-fix.bat and the soundfix.bat I can now get to the menu of SS, but when I start a campaign I CTD when the load screen completes.

Steam sure knows how to make mods hard Any further ideas?

Gigantus's Avatar When all is lost, ask the I.R.S. - they'll find something
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

In my tutorial I never mentioned or used the two fix.bat files - if you have run them after Meloo's fix you may actually have created a mess. Simply don't run them, it's not required for 6.4 afaik.

SS uses the kingdoms.exe file - that's the one to make compatible, sorry for not being specific, you can also set both exe - no harm done.

The crash at the end of the loading screen indicates some file problem which might have been caused by the above 'fixing' if not done correctly.

While it might be annoying I would recommend to start again - delete the ss6.3 folder in the mods directory and then follow the guide word for word. Take your time, heed the advice - especially the launcher settings. I wrote the guide and took the screen shots while installing it myself to make sure it works.
    Immediately after the installation apply Meloo's fix - use the installer version I made, it automates the process. Link is at the bottom of the guide.
    And it's the same for disk and steam with the exception of the copy\rename of the executable which is steam specific only because of the merge of the executable files in steam as medieval2.exe
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM.