Thread: Which submod? SSHIP, BGR4E or BGR5?

Default Which submod? SSHIP, BGR4E or BGR5?

Hi all,

Gonna reinstall SS tonight but really struggling to decide which of the above submits to play. I've played them all at one time or another over the last decade. Could do with a rundown of what each gives (and lacks compared to others).

It's hard for me to choose because I like both historical accuracy AND realism. I also prefer earlier campaigns to gunpowder era... But have yet to play an early era campaign to a point where it wasn't just spear militia spam.

I like the historical accuracy of SSHIP(early era only), but the true Feudalism-feel of BGR, but BGRV(late era only) was almost too difficult with the whole "plan manppwer 12 turns in advance" mechanic.

Please help me decide!

Default Re: Which submod? SSHIP, BGR4E or BGR5?

I thought SSHIP was better. But it needs more cities though. That's my only concern. Go for SSHIP and the installation and setup was easy.

To be fair...
    Earlier middle ages WAS mostly spear/shield spam.

You know... if you want accuracy.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

I went with BGRV in the end and am having a blast. Got further than I ever have before, so far, and really enjoying the attention to detail and micromanagement required.

Tried SSHIP but found the lack of restrictions on the player was making it easy to blitzkrieg and just not care about my troops or settlements.

SSHIP does not have more historical cities like the ones in Russia, Middle East, and Europe but not a bad submod.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

I like all 3 for different reasons/types of game-play. I actually can lose w/ bgr 5 so i end up playing that alot, but its probably the most micromanage/tedious as well so I never play a campaign straight thru.

If you hate earlier era spam, you can do a self-contained hotseat, sim the early years, then jump in and take control of a faction at a later date. (u get a more random map too that way).
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!