Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The No Good Very Bad Week of Gov. Ralph Northam

Default Re: The No Good Very Bad Week of Gov. Ralph Northam

Except, well, you're wrong.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Except, well, you're wrong.
    What a compelling argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    What a compelling argument.
    You can be compelled?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    You can be compelled?
    Of course, evidence can change my opinions. I'm not so heavily convinced in my beliefs that I won't change my opinions when given evidence to the contrary. In the past ten years I've executed a drastic change in my political positions. I was once an Obama-electing liberal. I'm not so longer. The first actual Presidential campaign I contributed to monetarily was the Bernie Sanders campaign. The democrats then stole the nomination and handed it to Hillary Clinton, who was the single most candidate of all time and guess what? The dems squandered everything on the laughable policy position of Bernie in a post Hillary America.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; February 10, 2019 at 06:47 PM.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It's not like they can ruin his election chances with an October Surprise. He's either investigated or not. Or he's either thrown to the wolves or not. It's a bit late for an October Surprise.

Northam and Herring on the other hand can actually have a chance to handle their correctly anyway. Most of the noise seems to come from out of state white newscasters, bloggers, and democrats trying to sound in touch with the community.

https://twitter.com/Nick_Tripoli/sta...80167882072064

A Virginia poll there. Virginians are somewhat split when you just look at the straight number. Virginia Whites are split. Virginia Blacks say don't resign. Frankly the loud noises coming from outside the state? Especially the National Party? Meh.
    Oh I agree that it's two years too late to turf Fairfax out democratically, although his political career is almost certainly finished unless he's exonerated (and even that may not be enough) - he would have to be the luckiest man in the world to still be able to run for the Democrat candidacy in '21, much less win it. But this issue will still matter in this November's elections, and really, the Virginia GOP will be guilty of political malfeasance if they don't use it to try to win any black voters over there or in the next few years.

Notably that poll has a 10-point margin of error when it comes to the Virginia blacks' opinion on whether Northam should resign, an excessively high margin if I remember my statistics correctly. But really, the Democrats cannot afford more than a tiny drop in the black vote - 87% of blacks voted for Northam in '17 and they consistently contribute the highest number of votes to the Democrats (mattering especially in close races like 2013), so if even just half of the people who said he should resign now (so 15% or so of blacks) sit out the next election the Democrats are sunk.

What I'm really interested in is the number of black voters who also don't think Fairfax should resign, and what they think of this brewing situation where all the pressure is shifting onto Fairfax while Northam & Herring are being increasingly left alone by the party and press. That, along with whether the VA GOP is willing to fight more aggressively and also have their oppo research team grow a brain, will determine whether the Republicans can swipe at least some of the black (at minimum, the black male) voter base away from the Democrats - if they can and it's more than a ridiculously small % of blacks who vote red or sit out the election (like 1 or 2%), they'll crush the November General Assembly elections and 2021's gubernatorial election.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    Oh I agree that it's two years too late to turf Fairfax out democratically, although his political career is almost certainly finished unless he's exonerated (and even that may not be enough) - he would have to be the luckiest man in the world to still be able to run for the Democrat candidacy in '21, much less win it. But this issue will still matter in this November's elections, and really, the Virginia GOP will be guilty of political malfeasance if they don't use it to try to win any black voters over there or in the next few years.
    Dude won't even be a lobbyist unless something is proven horribly wrong for the accusers.

Notably that poll has a 10-point margin of error when it comes to the Virginia blacks' opinion on whether Northam should resign, an excessively high margin if I remember my statistics correctly. But really, the Democrats cannot afford more than a tiny drop in the black vote - 87% of blacks voted for Northam in '17 and they consistently contribute the highest number of votes to the Democrats (mattering especially in close races like 2013), so if even just half of the people who said he should resign now (so 15% or so of blacks) sit out the next election the Democrats are sunk.
    That's what one usually gets when you can only get about 700 people from a state in a poll over three days of randomly generated numbers.

What I'm really interested in is the number of black voters who also don't think Fairfax should resign, and what they think of this brewing situation where all the pressure is shifting onto Fairfax while Northam & Herring are being increasingly left alone by the party and press. That, along with whether the VA GOP is willing to fight more aggressively and also have their oppo research team grow a brain, will determine whether the Republicans can swipe at least some of the black (at minimum, the black male) voter base away from the Democrats - if they can and it's more than a ridiculously small % of blacks who vote red or sit out the election (like 1 or 2%), they'll crush the November General Assembly elections and 2021's gubernatorial election.
    [/quote]Fairfax is a little more interesting given he's got actual potential charges bearing down on him. I've never believed someone should have to give up their position for the potential of an investigation. And mind you, that investigation hasn't even started. Just two people leveling charges at him. Apparently they think he can be impeached for this. Which I don't know. We'll find out if they throw that grenade. But if that happens, then there'll be some sort of investigation to some extent. Employers at some point usually have the option in most states at this point, but who knows. Elected positions are strange like this.

And to cut off Kavanaugh parallels, job interviews where this comes up are hilariously different. In the same sense that if this had blown wide open in October 2017 I'm pretty sure Fairfax wouldn't be where he is today. Which Vanessa Tyson approached the Post in November 2017 after the election, and according to claims the Post couldn't corroborate anything. So...take that as you will.

And yet again, re: Northam/Herring, Virginia can either have him earn his redemption and something changes hopefully, or kick him out the back door and let things stay the same once they pretend he was never there but for the official records. Given one, maybe two nights of stupidity 30 years ago does not Fairfax's definitively illegal actions(if proven) make.
    Last edited by Gaidin; February 10, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567