Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should hate be a crime?

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Should hate be a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    What's the argument for hate crimes in the cases of something that's illegal? Why does it matter if a murderer kills someone for being black vs them killing someone for having something they wanted? It always struck me as concerning, because it means the government is making statements about what people are thinking.
    Crimes always have differing degrees of penalty. This is all about motivation, opportunity, and other related factors. Just as we punish a murderer more severely when he or she carefully plans out and then completes the act than we do for a murder committed in an 'act of passion'. When the 'hate crime' is an aggravating and not the sole reason for the punishment, I am fine with it.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Should hate be a crime?
    Hate is a human emotion, of course it's not a crime. Acting based on hate and encouraging others to act based on your hate can be crimes depending on what those actions are.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Army Cheese View Post
    Here's the thing. The "keyboard warrior" in question didn't write the comment in question that got him ticked-off (and even if he HAD written the comment and HAD gotten arrested, that would be nothing new and not really news worthy). What happened was that he liked the limerick in question, causing the police to check him out.

Getting up in arms about poms arresting people for writing dirty limericks online is so last year.
    I suggest you read the police press report.Whether it's newsworthy is irrelevent as is the keyboard warrior's choice of lulz. It's the impact on the victim that is the issue.
    Last edited by mongrel; February 12, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

What victim
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    What victim
    It's called deadnaming, trolling a trans person just for the lulz. There is a point at which it gets beyond creepy. Just leave the poor guy alone, his bits are his own business, I say. I now await your complaint about the new anti-upskirting law.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Kyffhäuser's Avatar Libertus

If we can declare war on terror, why not hate?

Notice apathy isn't a crime. Apathy is too useful to criminalize, its the stupor that keeps people voting and buying trash. I can't imagine loving without hating. This is inhuman.

“It is not hatred that is wrong, it is hating the wrong thing that is wrong. It is not anger that is wrong, it is being angry at the wrong thing that is wrong. Tell me your enemy, and I will tell you what you are. Tell me your hatred, and I will tell you your character. Do you hate religion? Then your conscience bothers you. Do you hate the wealthy? Then you are avaricious, and you want to be wealthy. Do you hate sin? Then you love God. Do you hate your hate, your selfishness, your quick temper, your wickedness? Then you are a good soul, for ‘if any man come to me… and hate not his own life, he cannot be my disciple’ Luke 14:26” - Fulton Sheen (Victory over Vice)
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

I wouldn't count my worst enemy's hatred for me against him.

Well you know what Spurgeon says, "If any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him; for you are worse than he thinks you to be."
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Well you know what Spurgeon says, "If any man thinks ill of you, do not be angry with him; for you are worse than he thinks you to be."
    I was thinking more along the line, if a man hates that which I love, then I'll give him good reason to hate me. I don't think pastor Spurgeon would approve.

Mayer's Avatar Domesticus

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth...
    HATE SPEECH ISN'T REAL

Azorica's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth...
    And soon enough we would be mostly blind people eating porridge.

Still, hate, like any human emotion, cannot be criminalized, only acts derived of it. If I act on my hatred and kill, it's murder. If I insult someone fueled by hate, it's defamation. If I dump the radioactive waste I'm holding on for a rainy day on my neighbors because they are better looking than me it's attempted murder, ecological crime and probably terrorism. All of those constitute a hate crime or crimes motivated by hate. Same way if I commit a crime on impulse, it is a crime of passion.

It's not rocket science, really.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Azorica View Post
    And soon enough we would be mostly blind people eating porridge.

Still, hate, like any human emotion, cannot be criminalized, only acts derived of it. If I act on my hatred and kill, it's murder. If I insult someone fueled by hate, it's defamation. If I dump the radioactive waste I'm holding on for a rainy day on my neighbors because they are better looking than me it's attempted murder, ecological crime and probably terrorism. All of those constitute a hate crime or crimes motivated by hate. Same way if I commit a crime on impulse, it is a crime of passion.

It's not rocket science, really.
    You are right of course, but consider please that this leftist idiots, this mondilist brainless pseudo politicians don't care about hate and hate-crimes, what actually they are interested about it's compressing the citizens' rights, their free speech and the influence that free speech can exercise on voters. British governemt doesn't care about hate, they are just interested in controlling people's mind, preventing as much as they can the free exchange of opinions between citizens.

If the leftists were really leftists and liberals were really liberals, they would be the first ones on the barricades to fight against this public obscurantism, this obscene (because stupid) tyranny, sadly for a long time now the left has nothing to do with the left, today's liberalism is just an abortion; abortion of good intentions, dreams, hopes and ancient instances of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    You are right of course, but consider please that this leftist idiots, this mondilist brainless pseudo politicians don't care about hate and hate-crimes, what actually they are interested about it's compressing the citizens' rights, their free speech and the influence that free speech can exercise on voters. British governemt doesn't care about hate, they are just interested in controlling people's mind, preventing as much as they can the free exchange of opinions between citizens.

If the leftists were really leftists and liberals were really liberals, they would be the first ones on the barricades to fight against this public obscurantism, this obscene (because stupid) tyranny, sadly for a long time now the left has nothing to do with the left, today's liberalism is just an abortion; abortion of good intentions, dreams, hopes and ancient instances of freedom.
    I can't see how bullying a poor trans man could influence any government or voter. Acts of petty cruelty are not political statements.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    I can't see how bullying a poor trans man could influence any government or voter. Acts of petty cruelty are not political statements.
    In my opinion, you didn't get the actual meaning of my post, for I wasn't talking of trans (about whom I couldn't care less!), I was talking of the crap known as "Hate speech" or "Hate crimes" (in UK).

My suggestion is:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A) First of all: Try to read the message I quoted in my reply, for it's the basis on which I've tried to build my post.
    B) Secondly, try to read carefully (with some attention at least) the answer I have given to the message I quoted.
    C) Thirdly: write your reply to my post, maybe trying to comment the contents I've tried to expose.

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    In my opinion, you didn't get the actual meaning of my post, for I wasn't talking of trans (about whom I couldn't care less!), I was talking of the crap known as "Hate speech" or "Hate crimes" (in UK).

My suggestion is:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A) First of all: Try to read the message I quoted in my reply, for it's the basis on which I've tried to build my post.
    B) Secondly, try to read carefully (with some attention at least) the answer I have given to the message I quoted.
    C) Thirdly: write your reply to my post, maybe trying to comment the contents I've tried to expose.
    My suggestion is that you should not whinge about people falling foul of the law. Where I come from criminals get what's coming to them. We call it justice. I am not accommodating for the views of people or countries with different standards as regards lawlessness. Petty assault and harassment is not free speech.
    Last edited by mongrel; February 18, 2019 at 02:23 AM.

I don't think hate should be a crime, however it should be a factor when it comes to sentence.

I hate christians, should I be put in prison for that? I have no real problem with private prejudice, I don't believe in this wishy washy social engineering that seems popular these days. You can't legislate morality and correct thought.

However if I went out and killed a christian BECAUSE he was christian, because my hatred of them motivated the murder of an innocent then I would like to think the court would hand down a more severe sentence than if I had killed a man in a heated brawl.

Same for any kind of hatred in relation to other crimes. Hate in itself should never be a crime but crimes motivated by hatred deserve more severe punishments.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    I don't think hate should be a crime, however it should be a factor when it comes to sentence.

I hate christians, should I be put in prison for that? I have no real problem with private prejudice, I don't believe in this wishy washy social engineering that seems popular these days. You can't legislate morality and correct thought.

However if I went out and killed a christian BECAUSE he was christian, because my hatred of them motivated the murder of an innocent then I would like to think the court would hand down a more severe sentence than if I had killed a man in a heated brawl.

Same for any kind of hatred in relation to other crimes. Hate in itself should never be a crime but crimes motivated by hatred deserve more severe punishments.
    Indeed. And that is how Britain's laws are crafted with the exception of views likely to aid terrorism. The reason why Islam4UK and National Action are banned is not because of 'hate speech', it's because they have supported or committed terrorist acts and may continue to support or commit deeds of terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Indeed. And that is how Britain's laws are crafted with the exception of views likely to aid terrorism. The reason why Islam4UK and National Action are banned is not because of 'hate speech', it's because they have supported or committed terrorist acts and may continue to support or commit deeds of terrorism.
    Aye, can't say we get it right all the time but our system works better than many others.

When people from other countries criticise us, especialy Americans, I find myself thinking "what makes them better?". I can't wear my "Jesus is a Charlie Uniform November Tango" T-shirt, shame as the Nun with a crucifix on the back is really cool but on the flipside I send my little girl to school knowing she won't be shot by a class mate.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hate is an opinion.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast