Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was Germany and Japan stopped from doing evil but not America?

Default Why was Germany and Japan stopped from doing evil but not America?

Germany during WW2:

Invaded countries,
    Bombed countries,
    Committed genocide against the Jews,
    Colonized countries,
    Murdered millions of people

And Japan pretty much did the same.

America over the years:

Invaded countries,
    Bombed countries,
    Committed genocide against the Natives Americans,
    Colonized countries,
    Murdered millions of people

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But how come America is able to get away with it but Germany and Japan didn't?

Is the world really that afraid? Is the US really that powerful? If the world destroyed America, would that really create more problems than solve it?

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Default Re: Why was Germany and Japan stopped from doing evil but not America?

The answer is similar, while not explicitly given by anyone in the previous thread you've posted, is American power.

Germany, Japan, Italy and all of their allies combined didn't have much, or any, advantage when it came to natural resources compared to the US, they did have circa 100 million people more and that's about it. Meanwhile, their targets besides the US, included the British Empire, Soviet Union and the Chinese, among many others.

The resources and the population of the British Empire was far greater than of the Axis powers combined, SU, on the other had almost as many people as the the Axis. It would have been a tough fight, as evidenced by Soviet casualties, but add the US into the fray and the Axis chances of victory, which were at 1st December 1941 somewhat unrealistic, become nigh impossible.

Also there is a difference in pursuing, in my opinion at least, an ineffective, never ending interventionist foreign policy, with considerable undesired civilian casualties, and deliberately targeting civilians with biological weapons, which the Japanese did, or in Germany's case, implementing special plans to exterminate Slavs by starvation, slave labor, deportation to special reservations, or outright extermination, in order to create a "living space", and secure more arable land and natural resources.

Also there was the extermination not driven by economic factors, but out of a purely ideological belief that some peoples, such as the Jews and Romanis, who were considered innately inferior deserved it.

I'm not sure how many unarmed civilians did the US kill since achieving independence, however I think that the Axis powers achieved all those casualties in the span of less than a decade, where as the US needed more than 200 years.

In short, very oversimplified way, disregarding whose more evil, Germany and Co. were stopped because they weren't strong enough, whereas the US has no equal, and if the whole World would band together to destroy it which would only be possible if nuclear weapons didn't exist, it would still be difficult to cross the oceans to invade it, especially if Canada and Central America were to be occupied by the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Just answer the question View Post
    Is the world really that afraid?
    I'm quite certain that the majority of the World doesn't really care, as long as the US doesn't bomb them they're fine with it.

Is the US really that powerful?
    Yes.

If the world destroyed America, would that really create more problems than solve it?
    We won't be able to find that out in the near future, due to mutually assured destruction. Perhaps one day, when there's a distant colony on one of the Jupiter's or Saturn's moons, Humanity will no longer fear of Earth being annihilated and then we'll see what happens... outside Earth of course, no one will want to live in that America-Free Planet.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω January 26, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

But how come America is able to get away with it but Germany and Japan didn't?
    The British Empire tried to stop the (proto-)US from expanding into territories held by its Native American allies, but was defeated, as you probably remember. After that, other powers didn't really care, particlarly as most of them (including African and Asian ones, BTW) were/are busy conducting their own genocides, ethnic cleansings, colonization efforts, etc. Apart from that, people tend to be fairly apathetic towards things that don't ostensibly concern them, which is understandable because you only have so much capacity for empathy, attention, and inquiry.

While I agree that there is a huge double standard, and our American friends have been very adept at inventing and asserting a kind of moral superiority, you also have to remember that US crimes have been, on the whole, less dramatic than those of the WWII Axis powers who killed a staggering amount of people in a very short time period, and were driven by highly aggressive cults. They are more comparable to the Soviet Union (pre-Chrushchev mostly) and Maoist China, and a number of smaller but very nasty totalitarian states.

Is the world really that afraid? Is the US really that powerful? If the world destroyed America, would that really create more problems than solve it?
    The thing is, what would you replace them with? Current contenders range from the rather authoritarian and bureaucratic EU to even more authoritarian and proto-Borg China, to some quasi-fascist regimes in Eurasia/South America, to radical Islamic death cults. Not to mention the zombie show that is Marxism and its degenerate modern variants. And all these are highly expansionist as well, one one sense or another. At least the US have free speech and democracy, so as far as potential hegemonic powers go, they're currently the least evil as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    The answer is similar, while not explicitly given by anyone in the previous thread you've posted, is American power.
    Thank You.

I wish more people would respond like you, civilized and actually answers the question instead of ranting off to other topics.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    At least the US have free speech
    Yeah but they hate it when I call America evil, they hate it when I asks why the world hasn't stopped their evils, they call me a troll and then ban me.

It's free except for some things.

America has never invaded a nation that the other powerful nations cared about.

Nobody gave a damn about Japan when they invaded China, they only became a threat to America when they hit American territories. Same with Hitler nobody really cared about Austria or Czechoslovakia but when he hit Poland, the British and French saw it as a threat and it all kicked off.

America really isn't as powerful as people think due to the fact that they can not engage the other powerful nations in a conventional war due to MAD turning it into an extinction level event. That's why the last 70 years has been proxy wars with America, Russia and China using other nations to fight their conflicts.

The Vietnam war and the Soviet invasion of afghanistan showed the weakness of these "super powers".

Simply put, the US and Russia have these massive, powerful armies they can't actualy use.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    America has never invaded a nation that the other powerful nations cared about.
    And this is why it continues to do evil.

And again, if nobody wants to do anything, why do so many protest against it? It doesn't make any sense......

Do we really need to get into the concept of "scale" when it comes to cruelties?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

And this is why it continues to do evil.

And again, if nobody wants to do anything, why do so many protest against it? It doesn't make any sense......
    Have you ever complained about something, and not done something about it? It's human nature, and it happens all the time. For a lot of countries, they benefit too much from the US to hurt the relationship. Have you ever had a friend who did something that you felt was unethical, but you covered for them anyways? What about a person that did things that benefited you personally?

Another reason is that state (when I say state, I mean country) leaders do not personify the state as some unchanging thing that has consistent values, memories, and behavior. Do you feel that Mongolia should pay for the attrocities that they preformed in the past? Do you feel it's inherently an "evil" country, and that there is something inherent to the people of Mongolia that should be punished?

You really shouldn't conceptualize that actions of a state to be indicative of the country as a whole. The United States did not commit attrocities because it is more nuanced than that. The administration might have committed attrocities. There are segments of the population that have committed attrocities. But the state itself is concept constructed by political scientists to roughly denote some collection of a population, territory, and government that has some recognition and independence. States can't act; only governments or people within the country can.

Those governments change, and those people die over time. New governments with new ideals arrive, and new people with a vast spectrum of morals and behaviors replace them. State leaders understand this, and they realize that the people and government that have ruled and lived the United States in the past are dead or not in power. The United States government of now will transition and act differently. The population will change and continue to hold a very diverse specturm of morals (and act differently).

Attacking the US government and it's people changes nothing; another power will replace it in the future. Name me one dominant power in the world whose governments were objectively moral and the people universally good. I'll wait...
    Last edited by ♔The Black Knight♔; January 27, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

Because Might is Right.
    Germany and Japan didn't "learn from their mistakes", they were invaded and occupied. In the former (government and constitution of which were pretty much specifically written by countries that invaded and occupied it) it is illegal to question anything related to the subject, in combination with Marshall plan to make them "fat, but weak", as one of the Allied officials said.
    America, on the other hand, has not been invaded or occupied. Although that doesn't mean that Pax Americana is permanent - we will probably see America disintegrating within our lifetimes, both economically and politically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ View Post
    We won't be able to find that out in the near future, due to mutually assured destruction. Perhaps one day, when there's a distant colony on one of the Jupiter's or Saturn's moons, Humanity will no longer fear of Earth being annihilated and then we'll see what happens... outside Earth of course, no one will want to live in that America-Free Planet.
    This is sort of an odd thing to say because even if we manage to colonize the Solar System in any usable fashion, and even if we manage to grow food elsewhere. That food will depend on very technologically stable farms. Pull the wrong stick out and it collapses. The Earth is the only natural breadbasket of the system. We may no longer have to deal with America. But we will always fear Earth being annihilated.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

The opening post is a bit wrong since neither Germany nor the USA was stopped due to committing genocide. Same holds true for the other vague examples involving Invaded countries, Bombed countries, Colonized countries, and of course whatever you mean by murdered millions of people. Countries are stopped from doing things when opposed by other countries and then only when the opposition to such activities is successful. Sorry, but the opening post is lacking in any specifics that can be discussed.

Anti-Americanism has always been around, but it is really obnoxious how popular this trashiness has become in recent years, especially online.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Anti-Americanism has always been around, but it is really obnoxious how popular this trashiness has become in recent years, especially online.
    We all have our crosses to bear. No different from any nation, allot of times the yanks bring it on themselves. I've had to listen to self-righteous, ignorant yanks try to explain to me that they "saved my ass" in two world wars enough to develop a certain amount of animosity to America over the years.

We all have our crosses to bear. No different from any nation, allot of times the yanks bring it on themselves. I've had to listen to self-righteous, ignorant yanks try to explain to me that they "saved my ass" in two world wars enough to develop a certain amount of animosity to America over the years.
    It's cool, man.

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    This is sort of an odd thing to say because even if we manage to colonize the Solar System in any usable fashion, and even if we manage to grow food elsewhere. That food will depend on very technologically stable farms. Pull the wrong stick out and it collapses. The Earth is the only natural breadbasket of the system. We may no longer have to deal with America. But we will always fear Earth being annihilated.
    I wasn't actually serious, obviously the people living there would, realistically be against Earth being destroyed, and most importantly, people on Earth would most likely not feel the desire to perform self-sacrifice in order to destroy the US, even if all Non-Americans hated it with burning passion, nor would they feel much consolation that Humanity continued to exist after they'd been destroyed.

That said, I believe it feasible. In spoiler to because it's off topic:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Food production requires mineral-rich soil, water and light. Those are abundant in the universe. As for growing space and light source one can utilize indoors, horizontal farming, with electricity providing light. This type of food growth does require a lot of power, but in turn consumes much less water, by means of recycling via circulation in closed environment.

Engineering - it can solve, nearly, anything, obviously humanity would need to establish significant infrastructure and industry around Jupiter's and Saturn's satellites, before being able to achieve autarky from Earth. Striving to achieve such autarky wouldn't make much sense from an economic standpoint, it would be a massive waste of fuel and money needed to bring pre-fabricated buildings and industrial components, alongside starting resources, all, or most of this, would originally be derived from Earth, however it would be theoretically possible, with future technology.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

I've had to listen to self-righteous, ignorant yanks try to explain to me that they "saved my ass" in two world wars enough to develop a certain amount of animosity to America over the years.
    Here's an idea, tell your government to reject Americans, all Americans even just in case. No immigrants nor tourists coming in from the US to your country. As for the ones who are living in your country, give them 30 or so days to leave or else.

There you go, problem solved.

The US has a pretty severe case of geographical self-focus. Most Americans I know don't care one bit what is happening outside of the Continental US. You guys could be having a mass famine going on and many here would wonder why that should be any of their concern.

Here's an idea, tell your government to reject Americans, all Americans even just in case. No immigrants nor tourists coming in from the US to your country. As for the ones who are living in your country, give them 30 or so days to leave or else.

Americans are by no means perfect, but you seem like you have a very specific and intense ax to grind with Americans at large. Which, I may add, is often times unfair as the US isn't really comparable to any single nation in Europe. It is much larger and diverse than that.
    Last edited by The spartan; January 28, 2019 at 11:06 PM.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Why? Firstly not all Americans are gits and secondly America is good for our economy, the amount of colonial tourists with a hard on for our royal family is fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    It is much larger and diverse than that.
    Yeah, it has far more climate zones and rodent species.

Why? Firstly not all Americans are gits and secondly America is good for our economy, the amount of colonial tourists with a hard on for our royal family is fascinating.
    They are coming to marvel at cultures that managed to preserve particularly primitive social structures

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast