Thread: [Ask for help] Buildings

Default [Ask for help] Buildings

Well, as the title of the thread says, I would like to know if there is any kind of tutorial or something that teach me how to introduce new buildings into the game, and I would like to know if it is possible to reproduce the Attila building system, you know, the one you have two or more options you have to choose
    Thank you!!!

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: [Ask for help] Buildings

options: I don't think so.

Modding building can be simple... to difficult, depending on what you want to do. If it's only introduce Attila style with forked options, I don't think it's possible. Do you want to mod something else?

Trully I want to introduce more buildings, but I would like to introduce the Attila system because I think is the most accurate one to the slots number.
    And I would like to make different buildings for the capital cities, and for the small cities, I mean, dont have the same buildings in the capital and in a minor city. is because I would like to known if there is any kind of tutorial.
    The final idea is create a most complex city micromanagement that will give more background to certain factions like Empire, Bretonnia, high elves...

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk

Patrician Artifex

It is possible, but not with "options".

I'm already doing it in my mod SWO-RD if you want to see an example.

To sum up:
    - In the startpos, you can assign "slot templates" to cities. Most have a generic slot (secondary, primary, port), and some have a specific slot template (mostly region with a landmark). You can in theory have specific slot template for each region for maximum flexibility. For this, you ned to use the assembly kit to add slot templates.

- Then you have building_superchain, which can be associated to a slot template. Tha't how you can say that the building are different: you can have a superchain "capital" and another "minor city", and then say the "capital" one is possible in every slot_template of a capitabl region.

- Then you have building_chain, which are linked to building_superchain

- And last the different building levels.

Exemple from my mod to get specific barracks for Eataine in Ulthuan

Slot templates:
    - wh2_main_secondary_eataine_angerrial- wh2_main_secondary_eataine_tower_of_lysean

Slot templates to superchain: I can have barracks, stables or warmachines in this secondary slot_templates
    wh2_main_sch_military1_barracks_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_angerrial
    wh2_main_sch_military2_stables_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_angerrial
    wh2_main_sch_military3_warmachines_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_angerrial
    wh2_main_sch_military1_barracks_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_tower_of_lysean
    wh2_main_sch_military2_stables_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_tower_of_lysean
    wh2_main_sch_military3_warmachines_HE_Eataine wh2_main_secondary_eataine_tower_of_lysean

Building chains linked to my superchains:
    wh2_main_hef_barracks_Eataine military false wh2_main_sch_military1_barracks_HE_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_hunters_Eataine military false wh2_main_sch_military3_warmachines_HE_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_stables_Eataine military false wh2_main_sch_military2_stables_HE_Eataine

And the levels:
    wh2_main_hef_barracks_1_Eataine wh2_main_hef_barracks_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_barracks_2_Eataine wh2_main_hef_barracks_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_barracks_3_Eataine wh2_main_hef_barracks_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_barracks_4_Eataine wh2_main_hef_barracks_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_stables_1_Eataine wh2_main_hef_stables_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_stables_2_Eataine wh2_main_hef_stables_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_stables_3_Eataine wh2_main_hef_stables_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_stables_4_Eataine wh2_main_hef_stables_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_hunters_1_Eataine wh2_main_hef_hunters_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_hunters_2_Eataine wh2_main_hef_hunters_Eataine
    wh2_main_hef_hunters_3_Eataine wh2_main_hef_hunters_Eataine

Aham, thanks a lot mate, I will try to make something and see what happens hehehe. Thanks again!!!!

Patrician Artifex

One thing about the options: you cannot have bulding "fork" when upgrading.
    But you can have as many possible building as you want in a slot. And so simulate it.

For example, you can have
    "Archer barracks" chain. level 1 named "barracks" give basic spearmen, level 2 also gives archers
    "Melee barracks" chain. level 1 named "barracks" give basic spearmen, level 2 also gives spearmen + shields

So
    - The first level actually gives the same unit (similar to the initial building from Attila)
    - Second level is a specialized version

The difference is you choose your "path" immediately, and not when upgrading.

However, I think the AI or player may be consuded a bit, I think it is better to have
    - Infantry barracks
    - Archer barracks

as two independant buildings

Aham, I will take a look as soon as possible. Thanks for your help mate!!