Thread: Halberd units on a hill

Foederatus

Default Halberd units on a hill

Do Halberd units suffer from sloped surfaces like pikes units?

Azorica's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Halberd units on a hill

Could you elaborate, please? What do you mean by suffer?

Foederatus

Just don't perform as well, I think the pike animation misses more and it's easier for enemies to bypass the formation, but I'm not completely sure.

Azorica's Avatar Foederatus

Major issue here is that pikes are not as overwhelming as they were in RTW, in which a phalanx could stop a legion dead on its tracks, whereas in M2TW some units have always a tendency to get through (except maybe for cavalry because of the +8 bonus attack against them).

Still ran some tests and keeping in mind these are personal experiences on vanilla, pikes arguably performed worse in slopes, particularly with guard mode off as they didn't keep formation. Under these conditions they performed poorly even on flat ground (always keep guard mode on for some serious spearwalling! )

In halberds case, i would argue that it was slighty worse but they otherwise did ok due to being more versatile, being classed heavy infantry. There wasn't a great difference on being on flat terrain or sloped, maybe a couple more casualties. Guard mode still applies, they try to keep formation with it on.

I would say that its due to the fact that they don't point their polearms downwards . I'll forgive this oversight by acknowledging that historically broken terrain was hazardous to spear-based formations.

Foederatus

Thanks. I heard couple to times that pikes don't work well on an uneven ground and it seemed to be the case, never bothered to actually check and compare it.