Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: Deteriorating Situation in Venezuela

Default Re: Deteriorating Situation in Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    I see a quote but no source. Why do you always leave put sources? Doesn't matter, it only measured public opinion in January.

http://www.pewresearch.org/2008/03/1...iraq-20032008/

According to polls conducted in March 2003 72% of Americans supported military action in Iraq.
    With diplomatic approach in mind, which never happened.
    Quote me then please. You just want keep making claims without evidence.
    "Financial elites don't have the power to start wars and they aren't the ones in Congress votingnor advocating for intervention."
    I need a source for your first claim and your second claim that US laws and policies only benefit the elites. You love making unsubstantiated claims don't you?
    None of the claims I made are unsubstantiated. US public gained nothing out of invading Iraq and other countries. And of course financial elites exert huge influence on politics, from owning mass media which spreads political propaganda to sponsoring candidates in elections. This stuff is common knowledge.

Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

Default Re: Deteriorating Situation in Venezuela

Quote Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
    Which is funny, i always view F.D.R. as the champion of US moral imperialism.
    More than "yes" or "no": Why FDR still matters today,in my opinion,
    America Intervenes
    Inside Every Foreigner
    Jackson Lears

Read the full paper. Excerpt,

By 1910... In a speech that year at Troy in New York State, FDR announced a ‘new theory’ of politics, one that would enhance ‘the liberty of the community’ rather than simply protect the liberty of the individual. The anodyne language concealed his growing distrust of free market mythology...

Like many of his contemporaries in the 1910s, FDR slowly came to accept the Progressive view that government could restrain private gain in the service of public good.

His New Deal created an American version of the welfare state – a remarkable achievement in a country committed (at least rhetorically) to rugged individualism. Yet congressional opposition ... war also created the foundations of the national security state, and the Cold War accelerated its growth into a behemoth that all FDR’s successors had to learn to live with. The welfare state became the warfare state – an outcome Roosevelt neither foresaw nor desired.

... Still, he was a working-class hero – ‘the only man we ever had in the White House who would understand that my boss is a sonofabitch’, as one respondent told a pollster.
    FDR’s attacks on the bosses peaked in the 1936 presidential campaign. In Madison Square Garden on 31 October, he inveighed against ‘economic royalists’.

..The postwar world may well have been a better place had FDR lived.
    The New Deal’s welfare state survived without him, despite constant challenges from the right; Truman tried to extend it and Johnson succeeded in doing so. New Deal assumptions even became part of the Washington consensus for several decades, until the resurgence of austerity in the 1970s and since.

... Unrestrained by FDR’s diplomacy, Cold War hysteria accelerated the growth of the national security state into a mammoth institutional presence that no successful politician has been able to challenge. Even Trump, sworn enemy of the Washington consensus, remains its captive. FDR’s capacious style of leadership has vanished from the scene. In the shadow of the Pentagon, no one dares to reassert a sceptical perspective.

This is a major loss. Despite his attraction to missionary diplomacy, FDR remained committed to a traditional notion of international law, which allowed nations to respond militarily only if their own or others’ territorial boundaries had been violated. Not even his most expansive formulations included ‘regime change’. How he would have responded to the militarist posturing that passes for foreign policy debate in Washington today, who can say? I imagine he would be appalled
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16