Thread: POTF 3 - Winner and Runner-Up

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default POTF 3 - Winner and Runner-Up

The winner of POTF 3 was Cyclops, earning 1 competition point and 5 rep points. Well done!

Winning Post
    Why was flanking so effective?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Thank you for the long and detailed answer!
    No worries I'm mostly typing for the pleasure of seeing my own brain mashed on the screen, and very happy for you and others to correct me when I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    ...As I said before, I'm not talking about the musket/guns era, but rather the sword and shield battles. I understand the morale shock in later engagements, but when you can clearly see your enemy coming you have time to prepare.
    The musket and gun era are relevant though as a lot of the work done is the same.

Getting men onto a field to kill one another is no mean feat. You do it by bonding them socially, emotionally and militarily. Less centralized ("civilised") societies bring warriors to the field when each individual decides to come. Complex societies have conscription and other forms of coercion, material rewards, intangible rewards , religion and so on that allows masses to be mobilised and moved. Part of these systems is practicing in formation, and the line of battle is a very old and successful institution.

The systems that bring men (and occasionally women) to fight makes them want to fight. if one army melts, doesn't turn up etc then obviously there's no battle. This can result in a lost war (not always) but the net result is warriors want to fight. So the leader's line em up and go.

Getting units of men to obey once in battle is another hurdle. They better have practiced drill because battle is too stressful to make stuff up on the spot effectively. The drill tends to be "all face this way, when they get close stab them", because thats what works. Once a unti knows how to fight and wants top fight, the next trick is making them not fight the moment they see an enemy.

Its a very well trained force that can march around not fighting and keep morale high enough to keep the army together. Hannibal did it, Fabius Cunctator did it. By the 18th century a lot of armies could do it, there was the third Silesian war where close to 10% of casualties were outside battle because the whole thing was a walkfest ("war of manouevre").

On the actual battlefield units can rush at a hated foe, or refuse to move away from their neighboring units cause its dangerous out there man. Once in a melee (or later a firefiught) units tend to get bogged down and ignore orders to stop and withdraw: they face the nearest enemy and go at them and ignore the rest. Other units can get imaginative 'is that our cavalry in the rear, or is it the enemy? Holy ..."

War is hard. Leaders try to keep their forces well positioned, not bogged down, one step ahead of the other guy. A flank attack (ie a part of your army attacking an army's wing, perhaps from an oblique, perpendicular or best of all rear angle) is a normal battle option. getting a force around a flank though exposes it, all other things being equal. By definition you detach a part of your force and send it off into the blue. It is at risk of being caught, perhaps by the enemies whole force if it is in turn out-manouevred.

Fredrick the great overcame this problem by flanking with his entire force: he'd rapid march his boys to an oblique angle and approach his center against the opposition wing: still risky but he had a manouevre advantage and he exploited it. i think he was copying (in part) Alexander's superb (risky) battle plan from Gaugemela: here again the whole army rapid marched and approached on an oblique angle, disrupting the larger enemy line and throwing prior plans into some dissarray although the main attack was against the centre and the Makedonian line was doubled to protect the rear of the first line. Gaugemela was finished with a sharp cavalry charge at the centre, another Frederickan trick.

That battle gives me cold sweats when I think about it. March the whole force diagonally, trust the weak second line to defend the rear of the incredibly short front line, "don't worry guys, I'll catch the enemy cavalry with the tribesmen we have hanging off our bridles of our massively ounumbered cavalry, then we'll dart back toward the centre (no way the elephants will have moved across to cover it by then) and i will personally kill the opposition king before the rest of you are trampled by the largest army anyone has yet assembled". He was a genius to make it work, did not attempt a flank attack or outflank (he did feint toward the flank though) and Darius' attempted double envelopment failed because he was too slow, didn't deal with the second line and couldn't blunt the Companion Cavalry charge before it reached his own position.

At Austerlitz the Russians attempted a massive outflank, marching over half their force south to sweep up the French from the right to left. It was bold and well planned: Napoleon's right was weak, the Russian centre was protected by the Pratzen heights (which were thought to obscure sight of the move and to hinder any French spoiling attack) and they could smell victory. Sadly things went wrong.

Davout had force marched all night and arrived to block the Russian left. French scouts spotted the Russians in marching columns heading south. Soult counterattacked across Pratzen heights (Napleon's infantry had developed uncanny speed and now high morale as well allowing rapid movement and return to formation beyond other army's capabilities at the time: the Russians had not seen this yet) and took the Russian regiments heading south in flank, scattering them piecemeal. French left held the Austrians at bay. The Russian move to outflank led to the near destruction of their force (the remnants were saved by repeated reckless charges by the guard cavalry led by the Emperor's brother) and the Austrians wisely bugged out to fight another day.

Against a skilled nimble opponent a gamble like an outflank was possibly suicidal. In the right circumstances it could bag a smaller opponent with less loss of life. Art Agincourt the English line held (because of superb terrain choices by Henry V, and because the French knights only wanted to fight the English knights, and caused a pedestrian crush trying to all get at them while ignoring all other English, who beat them to death with hammers-true story) and the only serious threat was a tiny outflank attempt made against orders by a stray local noble.

At Agincourt the French wanted a face to face battle because their superiority in chevaliers vs knights (which they considered the only important fighting element ) was colossal, at least ten to one. They wanted a knight vs knight battle because that satisfied honour. The English, more intent on surviving fought a battle we would recognise as more "military" in character: they aimed to defeat the attack with all arms playing a part. French tactics were to advance on foot, so their horses would not be shot from under them (cunning plan!), wear heavier armour to neutralise English archery (well it worked) but once on the field the French began falling over one another to get to the handful on English knights in the line.

Soldiers do not always behave intelligently in battle. They are not trained too, they are trained to carry out a set of tactics, and how they do that is influenced by a dizzying array of other factors: education (the French infantry in the Napoleonic wars was more literate than other armies, and it showed), social position, specialcirumstances relating to pay, supply, the character of the commander etc etc.

The variety of systems that get men to battle do not always prepare them to respond effectively to what really happens. The French in the Battles of the Frontiers in 1914, the British force at the Somme in 1916, the Romans at Cannae, all these seem stupid wastes but they were actually well thought out plans that seemed to their commanders would work.

Sometimes an outflank works. Sometimes a stab at the flank works. Sometimes it does not.

Joint runners up this week are Gaidin and Coughdrop addict. A special appreciation this week must be given for the amount of engagement we got. See you next time!

Runner Up Posts
    US Government Shutdown
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Trump owned the shutdown from the beginning, even since the initial televised WH meeting with Pelosi, Schumer, and the P and VP. I don't see this at all as being a blame game battle, Trump already owned it (even if he's trying to disclaim now.) What matters is if the American people care. The dems are at a severe back foot here because while Pelosi and Schumer claimed to be pro border security, the dems have proposed nothing to increase security in light of POTUS' remarks. Why hasn't a dem bill included additional funding for 2nd or 3rd tier immigration enforcement? I wrote a paper on this for law school which explored efficacy in immigration enforcement. At the time of my research, it actually favored non-border related enforcement. This involved employing more agents to work on cases of illegal immigrants that posed threats and deporting them. I think the landscape has changed since even 2015 in significant ways:

1. Since Trump's election, key states and municipalities have severed relationships with the federal government with the establishment of sanctuary cities.

2. This has rendered those previously effective strategies moot

3. Now our best efforts lie in a border wall.
    I view border security and border wall as two separate issues. Border security can and must be done without a border wall largely and ironically due to one of the most bipartisan issues out there. Eminent Domain.

Maps. Maps are good. Here are maps of federally owned land both in the country and on the border:

One must ask the question on this map: why does the government own this much land in the western united states? Answer: because the land is largely useless and highly difficult to maintain. No private citizen wants the red highlighted land, and no state wants it. Back when this land became territory, the government really couldn't shove it off on people to save its life. So it still belongs to the Federal government. You dig deep down there are parts of it that just look awesome, so much of it has become National Parks and National Reserves as new technologies have been researched(say, oil drilling would've made certain nice looking lands useful). See next picture.

This separates most if not all the relevant federal lands on the border into the agencies that maintain them. You see a lot of National Parks and National Wildlife Reserves. More importantly in New Mexico, Arizona, and California, you just see a lot of federal land on the border. They could just build that damn wall on the border in those states. Most of Texas's border is not owned by the Federal Government. And when you dig down into Texas's people, either via local commentary or via the GOP House Rep that represents the longest stretch of the border than any other representative in the house, THEY JUST OPPOSE THE WALL.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/s...152402734.html

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10...border-mexico/

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...ps-wall-2019-1

They will vote for Border Security. But seguing the concept of good border security into a wall is pure nonsense.

What's really wrong with the wall? Nearly everything Trump rants about, from smuggling drugs to illegal aliens, mostly cross the border in ports of entry. Smuggled drugs come in through ports and have to be found through detection methods that Democrats are perfectly willing to spend 10 god damn billion dollars on. Illegal aliens, by the numbers, mostly come in legally and overstay their visas.

This is not an argument you will win. This is only an argument you will only bluster on about how Trump wants a wall.

That said, if Trump wants a wall, he'd better be ready to give a very nice quo in return for the quid. He has not yet. So screw him and the horse he rode in on. The most he gets is basic government reopening.

The Putin - Trump Controversy: Here to Stay - Links between Trump and Russia are being officially investigated by the FBI
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Were theories of the MIC and deep state not already there before Trump, originated from CIA coups and political corruption?
    CIA coups and things like MKULTRA are true, but there is quite a distance between acknowledging past wrongdoing on behalf of the US government and assuming anyone who criticizes Trump is being ordered to do by Obama/Clinton/Soros.

To put it another way, it's good to be a little suspicious of government. That's your job as a citizen, to keep your government honest. But some people are paranoid about government. There is a massive difference between the two. One is realizing the government is not always 100% honest and wanting to look deeper, the other is assuming the government is 100% dishonest all the time and then looking only for information that confirms your original hypothesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    It's evolved over time, I imagine.

The problem is that these morons (and good god there are even books!) are trying to say that any criticism of the Trump government must either be deepstate or treasonous in origin. Clintons are in on it, the Obamas are in on it, some people think the ENTIRE democratic party is in on it. And if you go further you find the Qultists believe that the deep state needs to be dismantled and everyone against the president thrown into camps, all for the simple fact that they oppose a constitutionally and morally questionable President. We are talking about nearly 70 million people, here. Trump himself has even retweeted 'shopped images of his opposition in prison, which stokes the fire even more.

The ironic thing is that they are so deep into this that they don't see the actual investigation into a conspiracy that is turning up results. They don't see the several Trump associates being indicted and thrown into prison as maybe something is going on. They don't see the fact that Russians and Russian companies are being indicted as maybe something is going on. They don't see his behavior, the collapse of the executive branch, the alienation of our allies and the cozying up to our enemies as...MAYBE SOMETHING IS GOING ON.
    I mean jesus christ I have heard Republicans legitimately say they would rather have Putin playing puppetmaster to Trump than Clinton as president.

Think about that...They would rather have our government compromised by a foreign power than have Clinton in charge.

The Q/Deep State has warped their reality so much and Trump and Fox and everyone have stoked the fears so deep that they just cannot see anything beyond that.
    An author named Michael Barkun wrote what I think is a good description of the psychology of conspiracy theories. It certainly fits the whole Qanon/deep state thing:

"The appeal of conspiracism is threefold. First, conspiracy theories claim to explain what others can’t. They appear to make sense out of a world that is otherwise confusing. Second, they do so in an appealingly simple way, by dividing the world sharply between the forces of light and the forces of darkness. They trace all evil back to a single source, the conspirators and their agents. Finally, conspiracy theories are often presented as special, secret knowledge unknown or unappreciated by others. For conspiracists, the masses are a brainwashed herd, while the conspiracists in the know can congratulate themselves on penetrating the plotters’ deceptions."

For point one Qanon is a way that some Trump supporters can rationalize the fact that none of their boogeymen are in jail. Go back and look at any right-wing page from election night 2016 and read the comments. Trump supporters were ecstatically assuring each other that Clinton, Obama, Soros, and anyone else they don't like would be jailed/executed within a week of the inauguration. But as time went on and no arrests were made they started to get confused. Surely with the mountains of evidence the right claimed exists for crimes including bribery, cannibalism, child rape, murder, and treason at least one or two indictments would have been issued? With all three branches of government under his control, why was Trump allowing the world's most despicable criminal masterminds to walk free?

Around the time of the billionaire tax cut some of the smarter Trump voters started to realize the GOP and Trump had lied through their teeth to get into power and had no intention of doing anything beyond funneling money to the mega-rich. Others started to look around desperately for something, anything, to tell them that Trump hadn't really lied to them. The comforting lies of Qanon attracted these people like flies to honey.

For point two, conservative media has spent nearly ten years now demonizing Obama and nearly thirty years demonizing Clinton, and the same amount of time demonizing whoever the latest 'other' happens to be. They regularly accuse anyone they don't like of the most ridiculous things and the conservative viewers, having long since lost the ability to think critically, accept what they are told without question. They truly believe they are in a war against evil, where evil is defined as "anytime something happens I don't like or when I don't get my way".

For point three, people who believe in conspiracy theories tend to be at least a little narcissistic. They believe themselves so much smarter than everyone else that the possibility they are mistaken or being lied to is unthinkable. Surely with their genius they would easily see through it if anyone lied to them? It's much more emotionally satisfying to think they are part of a select group that sees through all the lies told by "the man", it appeals to their ego and allows them to look down upon the 'sheeple'.
    Last edited by Aexodus; March 11, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: POTF 3 - Winner and Runner Up

Congrats Cyclops, well deserved

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)