Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 290

Thread: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

  1. #1

    Default Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    https://reason.com/blog/2019/01/20/c...phillips-video
    Partial video footage of students from a Catholic high school allegedly harassing a Native American veteran after the anti-abortion March for Life rally in Washington, D.C., over the weekend quickly went viral, provoking widespread condemnation of the kids on social media. Various media figures and Twitter users called for them to be doxed, shamed, or otherwise punished, and school administrators said they would consider expulsion. But the rest of the video—nearly two hours of additional footage showing what happened before and after the encounter—adds important context that strongly contradicts the media's narrative.
    Far from engaging in racially motivated harassment, the group of mostly white, MAGA-hat-wearing male teenagers remained relatively calm and restrained despite being subjected to incessant racist, homophobic, and bigoted verbal abuse by members of the bizarre religious sect Black Hebrew Israelites, who were lurking nearby. The BHI has existed since the late 19th century, and is best describes as a black nationalist cult movement; its members believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites, and often express condemnation of white people, Christians, and gays. DC-area Black Hebrews are known to spout particularly vile bigotry.

    Phillips put himself between the teens and the black nationalists, chanting and drumming as he marched straight into the middle of the group of young people. What followed was several minutes of confusion: The teens couldn't quite decide whether Phillips was on their side or not, but tentatively joined in his chanting. It's not at all clear this was intended as an act of mockery rather than solidarity.

    One student did not get out of Phillips way as he marched, and gave the man a hard stare and a smile that many have described as creepy. This moment received the most media coverage: The teen has been called the product of a "hate factory" and likened to a school shooter, segregation-era racist, and member of the Ku Klux Klan. I have no idea what he was thinking, but portraying this as an example of obvious, racially-motivated hate is a stretch. Maybe he simply had no idea why this man was drumming in his face, and couldn't quite figure out the best response? It bears repeating that Phillips approached him, not the other way around.
    And that's all there is to it. Phillips walked away after several minutes, the Black Hebrew Israelites continued to insult the crowd, and nothing else happened.
    You can judge for yourself. Here is video footage of the full incident, from the perspective of the black nationalists. Phillips enters the picture around the 1:12 mark, but if you skip to that part, you miss an hour of the Black Hebrew Israelites hurling obscenities at the students. They call them crackers, faggots, and pedophiles. At the 1:20 mark (which comes after the Phillips incident) they call one of the few black students the n-word and tell him that his friends are going to murder him and steal his organs. At the 1:25 mark, they complain that "you give faggots rights," which prompted booing from the students. Throughout the video they threaten the kids with violence, and attempt to goad them into attacking first. The students resisted these taunts admirably: They laughed at the hecklers, and they perform a few of their school's sports cheers.
    It was at this moment that Phillips, who had attended a nearby peace protest led by indigenous peoples, decided to intervene. He would later tell The Detroit Free Press that the teenagers "were in the process of attacking these four black individuals" and he decided to attempt to de-escalate the situation. He seems profoundly mistaken: The video footage taken by the black nationalists shows no evidence the white teenagers had any intention of attacking. Nevertheless, Phillips characterized the kids as "beasts" and the hate-group members as "their prey":
    "There was that moment when I realized I've put myself between beast and prey," Phillips said. "These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that."
    Again, all the evidence suggests that Phillips got it backward.
    He also claimed that he heard chants of "build the wall." While I cannot rule out the possibility that some of the kids indeed chanted this—those who were wearing MAGA hats are presumably Trump supporters—I did not hear a single utterance of the phrase in the nearly two hours of video footage I watched. Admittedly, the kids do a lot of chanting and it's not always possible to tell what they are saying. Their stated explanation is that they engaged in a series of school sports chants: That's what one student told a local news reporter. His account largely tracks with the video.
    "We are an all-male school that loves to get hyped up," said this student. "And as we have done for years prior, we decided to do some cheers to pass time. In the midst of our cheers, we were approached by a group of adults led by Nathan Phillips, with Phillips beating his drum. They forced their way to the center of our group. We initially thought this was a cultural display since he was beating along to our cheers and so we clapped to the beat." According to this student, the smiling student was grinning because he was enjoying the music, but eventually became confused, along with everyone else. (Indeed, multiple people can be heard to shout, "what is going on?")
    It would be impossible to definitively state that none of the young men did anything wrong, offensive, or problematic, at some point, and maybe the smiling student was attempting to intimidate Phillips. But there's shockingly little evidence of wrongdoing, unless donning a Trump hat and standing in a group of other people doing the same is now an act of harassment or violence. Phillips' account, meanwhile, is at best flawed, and arguably deliberately misleading.
    Unless other information emerges, the school's best move would be to have a conversation with the boys about the incident, perhaps discuss some strategies for remaining on perfect behavior at highly charged political rallies—where everybody is recording everything on a cell phone—and let that be the end of it.
    The boys are undoubtedly owed an apology from the numerous people who joined this social media pile-on. This is shaping up to be one of the biggest major media misfires in quite some time.
    Tl;dr:

    Liberal media post a segment of a footage on social media, deliberately misinterpreting what was going on, so long that it fit their narrative ''Orange man supporters bad, evil racists and sexists'', outraged mob of white liberals demands the kids lives to be ruined. After a while it turns out that it was all fake, lying white liberals obviously have moved on to their next outrage about Trump.

    Hammurabi had a nice solution: if you ruin someone's life, then your life should be ruined as well. A fundamental issue in our society is that liberal media and their outraged twitter mob is never held responsible for the damage it causes.

    How can we hold them accountable for ruining innocent people's lives?

  2. #2
    dogukan's Avatar Tribunus
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Middle freaking east
    Posts
    7,483

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    I do agree about the wrong representation. But seperating "librul media" is a dishonest polarizing act.

    I watched fox news from my childhood just to see how bad they lie and polarize society.
    If we got to this partisan media culture, you have to start with fox and its "interpretative" news reporting.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    "Therefore I am not in favour of raising any dogmatic banner. On the contrary, we must try to help the dogmatists to clarify their propositions for themselves. Thus, communism, in particular, is a dogmatic abstraction; in which connection, however, I am not thinking of some imaginary and possible communism, but actually existing communism as taught by Cabet, Dézamy, Weitling, etc. This communism is itself only a special expression of the humanistic principle, an expression which is still infected by its antithesis – the private system. Hence the abolition of private property and communism are by no means identical, and it is not accidental but inevitable that communism has seen other socialist doctrines – such as those of Fourier, Proudhon, etc. – arising to confront it because it is itself only a special, one-sided realisation of the socialist principle."
    Marx to A.Ruge

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    I refuse.

    Some twitter impressions:

    Jessica Valenti, Guardian columnist and popular dumb feminist.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 





    Cheryl Duckworth Phd in education. She teaches your kids that if they are white they are totally Hitler.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 




    Adrian Todd Zuniga, an advocate of white privilege connection, works in entertainment.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 



    The kid is totally Hitler. 100% of the liberal arguments.
    Last edited by Basil II the B.S; January 21, 2019 at 03:25 AM.

  4. #4
    Mithradates's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    As it seems Nathan Phillips is a liar and a racist, he tried to provoke the boys into a confrontation.
    Also bonus points for picking on inexperienced kids, he still failed.

    And lets not talk about those obviously racist blacks, lets focus on the white smiling teenager with the red hat lol

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    I personally find the BHI absolutely hilarious but that's just me.

  6. #6
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,408

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    So the native americans said:

    -this is indigenous land
    -go back to europe you dont belong here
    -and lied that they chanted build that wall, which they didn’t,

    the black supremacists present called the kids:

    -crackers
    -and said faggots shouldnt have rights.

    And its the students at fault. Nice one.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a1d078ce0b90
    Friday’s incident near the Lincoln Memorial in which a group of high school boys taunted and confronted an elderly Native American man sent a ripple of fear and anger across the country. The image of a group of high school boys clad in “Make America Great Again” hats, smirking and laughing as one of their members physically intimidated Nathan Phillips resurfaced tensions that have been simmering since President Trump’s campaign began. At one point, some reportedly chanted, “Build the wall!”
    I hope someone gets sued to hell for this slander.
    Under the patronage of Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals. Amen.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Lmao Washington Post.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Washington compost is a better name.
    This case is rather typical for American corporate liberal media distorting reality and spouting false information to further a certain narrative. At least before they tried to be a bit more subtle, but I guess the salty liberal media owners decided to take off the gloves and go Pravda style after 2016 election. I guess that makes Trump right, and such outlets are enemies of American people.

  9. #9
    Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    12,141

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    At least the Atlantic has the courage to let someone tell the truth.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

    -Ella Hill

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    At least the Atlantic has the courage to let someone tell the truth.
    Literally every news outlet report the same thing. CNN has already reported the full video. They even reported the teenager's side of the story. Who else reported the "full" version of the events once information became available? WaPo, NYT, and USA Today. Know who else reported the wrong version of the events? Fox News.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    So the native americans said:

    -this is indigenous land
    -go back to europe you dont belong here
    -and lied that they chanted build that wall, which they didn’t,

    the black supremacists present called the kids:

    -crackers
    -and said faggots shouldnt have rights.

    And its the students at fault. Nice one.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a1d078ce0b90


    I hope someone gets sued to hell for this slander.
    Goes to hell for this slander? Where is your outrage at the hyperbole and outright lies reported by many "alternative" media outlets? Where is your outrage for constant conspiracy theory crafting, mis-represenation and inaccurate reporting by right-wing outlets? You hold the so-called "mainstream-liberal media" to the highest possible standard while ignoring the fact that very few outlets can be trusted to report the truth as accurately as mainstream media outlets.

    That being said, I do agree that this was a massive guffaw by everyone involved and only highlights that people cannot jump to conclusions. I hope media takes a big lesson from this and redoubles their efforts to verify the truth or stick to neutral coverage until facts can be reasonably confirmed. At the very least, always offer an "out". I expect more outlets to publish corrections and the full story within days. Why? Because that's what respectable publications do.

  11. #11
    Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    12,141

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    @Sukiyama

    Even the first video that caused the firestorm doesn't show the students doing anything particularly offensive, just standing around being a bit noisy. That this was interpreted as some great act of prejudice on the part of these high school students is indicative of, dare I say it, institutional and internalized racism against whites and bigotry against males.
    Last edited by Big War Bird; January 21, 2019 at 03:30 PM.
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

    -Ella Hill

  12. #12
    Praepositus
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,898

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    US media are really really crap, and this is a great example of lazy stereotyping journalism. Some points regained for setting the record straight eventually but why wasn't the fact checking done first? I guess its the social media based "news" that just passes on misleading snippets. Its seems like unfiltered raw news so its very persuasive, but its just as liable to be spun or twisted.

    I despise the lazy and dishonest media establishment of all sides because they let this sort of thing happen so easily. Its easy to bag FOX and Breitbart but they are not Robinson Crusoe here.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

  13. #13

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    @Sukiyama

    Even the first video that caused the firestorm doesn't show the students doing anything particularly offensive, just standing around being a bit noisy.
    Because the initial video that cut out most of the context could certainly be interpreted that way. A smug white kid with a MAGA hat looking down on a Native American on that particular day and at that particular event? Please, the assumption was entirely fair. The issue here is that it was an "assumption" and not the actual, factual, course of events. That's the issue here. That the media failed to fact-check itself.

    The fact that social media ran away with this is simply unavoidable. Social media runs away with anything viral.


    That this was interpreted as some great act of prejudice on the part of these high school students is indicative of, dare I say it, institutional and internalized racism against whites and bigotry against males.
    Dare you say it? To give you my straight answer, yes, it would be a stretch. There are very few people who are "racist" against Whites in the same way that many of these MAGA people are racist against minorities. The "Left" or whatever you wanna call it, is well aware and self-aware that such things exist. This is in stark contrast to MAGA and Trump supporters who to this day deny that the policies and rhetoric they advocate is racist or leads to racist results.

    The reason why that Indian man jumped to conclusions and assumed why the White kid was an instigator speaks volumes about the state of this country. About both sides. I already said I think this was terrible and the media has revealed just how much they prioritize sensationalism over fact-checking. I hope this improves, but I am tired of the Fake News narrative as a magic handwave to dismiss all criticism.

  14. #14
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,408

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    I think the fact that racial abuse coming from the black hebrews and the indian group toward the white kids was completely overlooked doesn’t look well for the media.
    Under the patronage of Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals. Amen.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I think the fact that racial abuse coming from the black hebrews and the indian group toward the white kids was completely overlooked doesn’t look well for the media.
    That's because it wasn't in the original video... Once the full video was revealed, people were quick to pile the blame.

    CNN's article I linked earlier says this.

    A new video that surfaced Sunday shows what happened before and after the encounter Friday in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington.In the new video, another group taunts the students from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky with disparaging and vulgar language. The group of black men, who identify as members of the Hebrew Israelites, also shout racist slurs at participants of the Indigenous Peoples Rally and other passersby.


    The new video adds context to an encounter viewed by many as the latest sign of bigotry infecting the country. Screenshots of a smirking teen staring down Omaha tribe elder Nathan Phillips spread through the internet, sparking widespread outrage.
    But a teen who says he was involved in the encounter said the students' actions have been wrongly interpreted as racist. In a statement, Nick Sandmann said the students decided to raise their voices to drown out the Hebrew Israelites' inflammatory comments -- not to intimidate or mock Phillips. Phillips has said the teen blocked his escape.
    But neither Sandmann's statement or the video will be the last word on the controversy. Here's what the video shows:
    The Hebrew Israelites begin by disparaging the students

    The new video was shot by a member of the adult group.
    The men identify as members of the Hebrew Israelites, a movement that believes some black Americans are the descendants of an ancient Israelite tribe.
    A man in a long black coat does most of the talking and shouting, occasionally banging a walking stick on the concrete for emphasis. Another man dressed in black holds a poster with the names of the 12 tribes of Israel in one column and another described as the corresponding "slave names" of different racial identities.
    Another man with an Afro and a Star of David necklace hanging around his neck occasionally recites scripture while the person filming occasionally adds his own commentary.
    The video opens with a tense encounter involving the men and a woman who challenges their beliefs and calls for peace.
    "Peace to what land?" one of the men responds. "How you gonna have peace to this land ... when you got this madman in the White House?"
    The camera pans past the group, catching the first glimpse of the teenagers, at least one wearing a red Make America Great Again hat.
    "Then you got those pompous bastards over there wearing Make America Great Again hats," one voice says. "Why you not angry at them?"

    It goes on for another page. Things weren't overlooked, but this is an example of why the media shouldn't blindly chase trends, social media, and headlines. The show Newsroom does a good job of emphasizing the issue with the media.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  17. #17
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,408

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    When it first came out, the first dissenting source i found was thehodgetwins twitter account, who showed the man instigated the situation in a video posted on their channel early on, this was 20th Jan at 3am UK time. At 2pm, the wash post was still pushing out critical articles anyway, of the students surrounding and taunting him.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.d4f3a1570713
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...et-march-life/

    Vox, at 4pm same day.

    Guardian, 8pm

    I posted about this on the fake news thread. Why was I able to so easily find out what none of the papers knew before they did?

    The real problem is how the students were doxxed, their families were doxxed, and they were threatened because of this.
    Under the patronage of Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    And on the third day, God created the Remington bolt-action rifle, so that man could fight the dinosaurs. And the homosexuals. Amen.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Examples?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    When it first came out, the first dissenting source i found was thehodgetwins twitter account, who showed the man instigated the situation in a video posted on their channel early on, this was 20th Jan at 3am UK time. At 2pm, the wash post was still pushing out critical articles anyway, of the students surrounding and taunting him.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.d4f3a1570713
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...et-march-life/

    Vox, at 4pm same day.

    Guardian, 8pm

    I posted about this on the fake news thread. Why was I able to so easily find out what none of the papers knew before they did?

    Because you are not a large multi-million dollar enterprise. You really think a reporter on CNN can just inject news the moment they find it on Reddit? CNN pushed a correction fast, as did other liberal media channels. That doesn't fit your narrative.


    The real problem is how the students were doxxed, their families were doxxed, and they were threatened because of this.
    Yes, that's a problem. It is very upsetting that people are going to be hurt, bullied, and demonized for this. Yet the wide-ranging backlash and awareness that the media ed up will also convert many of those people into silence and unuttered apologies. Personally I think the kids and the school and everyone else who was "slandered" deserves an apology from the media, the social media, and everyone else involved. Such empty symbolic gestures will obviously be either very hollow, or not materialize whatsoever, but at the end of the day it's not very relevant. The fact is, there is plenty of evidence showing the kid in a much more objective light, the media will hopefully learn from this, and the turnaround time is still in the matter of days/hours.

    Your demeanor is almost suggesting that the only reason there isn't a wide cover-up is because it's "too late" to try it now. I'd say it's enough that we've realized that the media was wrong on this event, that they're working to rectify this and publish a more accurate story, and we all got yet another reminder to not jump to conclusions.

  20. #20
    NorseThing's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    western usa
    Posts
    2,860

    Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

    Well, Even Rush Limbaugh got in on this. I think CNN has walked back on the initial poor reporting. I hope this and some other recent fake news reporting by CNN will mean a closer look at why this happened and how CNN can prevent it in the future. I can only hope thoug. No sign from CNN that anything is changing.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •