Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Thread: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    If the worst thing that comes to your mind is a racial slur that's a sign of racism. People who are not racists do not think of the n-word in such a moment. We're merely making logical conclusions the same way we do every day. Somehow just because common sense provides a conclusion that you don't like doesn't suddenly make it a bad thing.
    1) How does knowing that racism is a bad thing make it common sense that one's a racist?!
    2) Why is this speculation over people's opinions necessary in the first place? Do you honestly expect positive results from accusing as many people as possible of being racist, even if you cannot know that for sure (to put it mildly)?
    A conclusion made on the basis of very shaky, not really common sense speculation can be a very bad thing. As is evidenced time and again. E.g. with the Covington kids. Do you think that was handled swell by so called "progressives"?
    Why would people be racist because they thought someone was telling the truth? They would be so if they didn't believe when a white man made the same claim.
    Well, they quite literally refused to believe the white men/children, didn't they? They insisted on believing one side, in spite of all sound judgement, and even resisting video evidence for a long time. Doesn't the "we have to believe everything POC's say without question" mentality indicate a underlying racist belief in the noble savage trope?

Default Re: Lying Liberal Media, episode 1: the kid with the MAGA hat and the native American

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    1) How does knowing that racism is a bad thing make it common sense that one's a racist?!
    2) Why is this speculation over people's opinions necessary in the first place? Do you honestly expect positive results from accusing as many people as possible of being racist, even if you cannot know that for sure (to put it mildly)?
    A conclusion made on the basis of very shaky, not really common sense speculation can be a very bad thing. As is evidenced time and again. E.g. with the Covington kids. Do you think that was handled swell by so called "progressives"?
    It's not "knowing that racism is a bad thing" as I didn't argued that. Strange that you needed to alter reality. Knowing that a word has a negative connotation and using that word for that negativity is two different things. This is not really speculation.

Well, they quite literally refused to believe the white men/children, didn't they? They insisted on believing one side, in spite of all sound judgement, and even resisting video evidence for a long time. Doesn't the "we have to believe everything POC's say without question" mentality indicate a underlying racist belief in the noble savage trope?
    Not really. The public doesn't exist as a singular mind. Some didn't really refute to believe the white men/children, some did. Sure, many bigoted people sticked to one side or the other. Just like many people believed the assault story in the first place. There is no one-sided discrimination story here for you.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

"We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

Oh my god.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

It's not "knowing that racism is a bad thing" as I didn't argued that. Strange that you needed to alter reality. Knowing that a word has a negative connotation and using that word for that negativity is two different things. This is not really speculation.
    Which, as Aexodus already has pointed out, must mean most of the English speakers have a deep-rooted hatred for children born out of wedlock and female dogs.
    But skipping the part that context apparently does not mean anything anymore, you still haven't answered the rest of my questions that you quoted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod
    I have asked you that before as well. What do you expect to get out of accusing people of thought crime?
    Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Everyone's a little bit nutsi apparently.

Is it racist for me to wish for a meteorite to eradicate all human life asap? Because I kinda do.

Which, as Aexodus already has pointed out, must mean most of the English speakers have a deep-rooted hatred for children born out of wedlock and female dogs.
    The example Aexodus gave actually supports my position. You use the slur "bastard" because you see being a bastard as a bad thing.

But skipping the part that context apparently does not mean anything anymore, you still haven't answered the rest of my questions that you quoted:
    I have asked you that before as well. What do you expect to get out of accusing people of thought crime?
    I didn't really skip it. My response could have not satisfied you but I didn't skip it.
    Knowing that a word has a negative connotation and using that word for that negativity is two different things. This is not really speculation.
    I'm not really expecting to gain anything by pointing out that people have discriminatory tendencies. However, people's choice of words do have consequences. What do you expect to gain anything by denying it?
    The Armenian Issue

The example Aexodus gave actually supports my position. You use the slur "bastard" because you see being a bastard as a bad thing.
    I have news for you. It's the 21st century. No one cares what the marital status of your parents during your conception was. But according to your logic, and there's no two ways about it, the use of the word "bastard" proves one hates children born out of wedlock.
    I didn't really skip it. My response could have not satisfied you but I didn't skip it.
    Knowing that a word has a negative connotation and using that word for that negativity is two different things. This is not really speculation.
    That quote wasn't answering the question. The following one does. But before we move on: Language is a living thing. It's ambiguous, and heavily based on context.
    That's what common sense should tell you. And if it does not, I refer you to e.g. Wittgenstein.

Trying to infer the speakers thoughts is most of the time nothing but speculation. Except here I could agree with you that given that you didn't even check the context it wasn't so much speculation, and more a blind guess.
    I'm not really expecting to gain anything by pointing out that people have discriminatory tendencies. However, people's choice of words do have consequences.
    It's the wife beater mentality: "See what you made me do to you?!"
    No! Just no! Only what a person says is in his control. He has no control over what you make of those, and no control over how you react. I'll point out once more that you didn't even care what the context was. You immediately decided that he was racist for using the N-word here.
    Quick question that comes to mind: What if the speaker of the n-word was black? Is he a racist then as well?

What do you expect to gain anything by denying it?
    Quite many things actually:

1) I love languages. I learned 7 of them. It's a living, ambiguous, changing thing. Just because you attribute one meaning into it, doesn't mean others do it as well.
    That love is reason enough to hate those presumptuous enough to think they have a right to police it.
    2) I hate unfounded accusations, especially false ones. Note that you didn't even ask what the circumstances were in the case that I referred to earlier.
    You immediately jumped to the conclusion that he must be racist. Context matters. If it doesn't to you, it does to others. Neither you nor anyone else have any way of knowing what the intent of the speaker was, if you don't even care about the context in which it was said.
    I hate this virtue signalling call-out culture with every fiber of my body. It's hollow. It's fake. It's totalitarian. And very often it's the result of psychological projection.
    It's the same phenomenon as with vigorously anti-gay people. Those are often facing with their own their own repressed sexuality. There's no reason to obsess over something and see it everywhere, except if you have it in you.
    3) I prefer racists to be out in the open, I'm absolutely sure that ostracising people radicalises them even more, and I know that they'll never run out of words to express their racism anyway. Banning words is therefore stupid from the get go. The proper response to racists is to ridicule them when it's appropriate and take words away from them, not gift them to them. The only realistic way to remove negative words from your language is by giving them a positive meaning. That's what'd happen anyway if it wasn't for speech police.
    4) I love humour. Especially the offensive type. And I'm personally from a multicultural background. The fact that I make jokes about Swedes, Swiss, Germans etc. on an almost daily basis doesn't mean I hate them. It means I deal with them very frequently, and our bantering is a form of appreciation.
    Here in Denmark we have a politically incorrect term for people from MENA background: Perker. When I moved to Denmark I obviously didn't know that term yet. I quickly became close friends with lots of people of that background, and they cheekishly did their best to hide it's racist origins and make me say it as often as possible. I suspected it quickly but played along, since it was fun. To this day we use this word very frequently. It's only ever white people who get upset and say: "That's a bad word! You're not allowed to say that!" I always laugh at them. In the US it's the very same thing with the N-word and the black communities. According to you that must mean black people are the ones hating black people the most.
    Except that again, context matters to most people.
    5) Racism is a very serious thing and should be taken seriously. I therefore do not like what you and Spartan are doing by inflationing it so much that it loses all meaning. By saying that everyone's a racist you make that term meaningless. It's quite ironic given that this postmodernist take is in stark contrast to your absolute resolute take on the n-word.
    By what term do you want to determine actual racists, now that the term itself apparently is just a synonym for human?
    Do you think there should be consequences for racists? Yes or no? If so, don't you think unfounded accusations are an irresponsible thing to do?
    What do you think should be the consequences for people making these accusations
    , e.g. against the Covington kids?
    If you were to accuse someone falsely of being racist and thereby have a severe negative impact on his life. Should you face consequences or not?
    Do you disagree with my opinion that accusations of racism are serious and should thus only be voiced with caution?
    6) I have had family members in the GULAG, in Nazi concentration camps and in underground resistances. Speech and thought policing is always how it starts.

Are those 6 reasons enough for you? I made it easy for you and underlined my questions to you. Please do respond.

Sigh... So many words to say so little... We do live in the 21st century but our biases and prejudices do persist. You'd probably report a post that would call you a bastard, but not because its false and someone name-calls you, but because you find it offensive. If you use it against someone else you equally use it for that offensiveness value that the word is associated with in your brain. It's a not world breaking issue but it still exist. When the word in question is "n-word" people will obviously point that out. There is no reason to whine about that.

I see that speculation is fine when it suits and not fine when it doesn't. That's fine. I'm not really sure what kind of sick logic you're using there to equate what I said to a wife beater's mentality. People and languages do not exist in a vacuum. There is no speculation or inference here. There is context. The guy did not use the word "n-word" randomly out of a random set of words. He used it because the negative connotation already existed. Sure, racism applies to people's own race as well. A black person could be a racist against blacks, an Arab could be a racist against other Arabs, same with white people, Asians, etc. They do exist in abundance.

You seem to miss the point of denial. If you're denying something then you're already acknowledging the failure of your position. I'm not really gonna entertain your tangents in order for you to blur logic so that you can fit your position in a defensible place. They don't seem to fall in line with what I asked either. So, nice rant.
    The Armenian Issue

Sigh... So many words to say so little... We do live in the 21st century but our biases and prejudices do persist. You'd probably report a post that would call you a bastard, but not because its false and someone name-calls you, but because you find it offensive. If you use it against someone else you equally use it for that offensiveness value that the word is associated with in your brain. It's a not world breaking issue but it still exist. When the word in question is "n-word" people will obviously point that out. There is no reason to whine about that.
    You said before that even if one said the n-word to a table that'd still mean he'd be racist against black people. Hence if you say bastard that means you hate people born out of wedlock.
    I take your response here as a yes. So even though I thought I didn't care and never ask anyone about the circumstances of their birth I still hate those people.
    Come to think of it, you did say the b-word. You really do hate them.

I see that speculation is fine when it suits and not fine when it doesn't. That's fine. I'm not really sure what kind of sick logic you're using there to equate what I said to a wife beater's mentality. People and languages do not exist in a vacuum. There is no speculation or inference here. There is context. The guy did not use the word "n-word" randomly out of a random set of words. He used it because the negative connotation already existed. Sure, racism applies to people's own race as well. A black person could be a racist against blacks, an Arab could be a racist against other Arabs, same with white people, Asians, etc. They do exist in abundance.
    I don't argue that all people can be racist against all ethnicities including their own. What I don't agree with is that context doesn't matter apparently.
    Chris Rock is apparently one of the worst racists out there. He just kept saying the word again and again and again:

And those laughing and clapping in the audience hate black people too. Do I get that right?

You say people are responsible for the reactions of other people. I say no, not necessarily, not beyond what's reasonable. Racism to me is a serious issue. Wildly accusing people of being that without any care whatsoever is the sick thing in my opinion. Doing so when there's no grounds for it and then blaming others for it is the wife beater's mentality.
    You seem to miss the point of denial. If you're denying something then you're already acknowledging the failure of your position. I'm not really gonna entertain your tangents in order for you to blur logic so that you can fit your position in a defensible place. They don't seem to fall in line with what I asked either. So, nice rant.
    lfmao. Just because I was overbearing and answered your question doesn't mean I accept your premise. But nice exit there man.

You're the one in the indefensible position. Other people are supposed to be responsible for the consequences of their words, yet you have not one care for the consequences of wild accusations. You argue in favour of inquisition and thought criming, yet if one were to return the favour, he'd be very perplexed by how little racism seems to mean to you, given the fact that you're ready to call people racist without any consideration.

Everyone's a little bit nutsi apparently.
    Is it really so crazy that racism isn't a binary? Like, no single attribute makes one a racist or not, you can just have racial prejudices to varying degrees. Most people only have minor racial prejudices, some are incredibly racist.
    Is it racist for me to wish for a meteorite to eradicate all human life asap? Because I kinda do.
    That sounds more misanthropic to me.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Is it really so crazy that racism isn't a binary? Like, no single attribute makes one a racist or not, you can just have racial prejudices to varying degrees. Most people only have minor racial prejudices, some are incredibly racist.
    I don't disagree with you that there are many degrees of racial prejudice. But when you slap the label racism on everything the result is that essentially nothing is racist anymore, as the word becomes meaningless.
    Because there is real racism in the world and this speech & thought police attitude does nothing but make it worse.
    If everyone's being called a Nazi, it's becomes far less bad to be one. Which to me is a horrible, horrible idea.

Furthermore, the calling-out culture isn't just trying to give some nuanced criticism. I'm not saying you or PointOfViewGun are doing it, but the mindset today not just in the US but across our Western world for so called "progressives" has become to not just call out people for their racism, but actively do everything in their power to destroy them for minor perceived infractions. For which the Covington kids are a comparatively harmless example (though still disturbing).

And like you said yourself: There's a difference between arguing and pontificating. Lecturing people on what they should and shouldn't say instead of pointing out where they are wrong is clearly the latter. It is by debate, not by censorship that people are won over.

Fair enough that we all have some prejudices we need to work on. But do you truly believe you get people to do that by insulting them? I expect people to dig their heels in if they're attacked that way.

That's why I asked PointOfViewGun what he was trying to achieve by calling people that. His answer: Nothing. But he isn't doing nothing. He's making it worse.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15