Thread: Questions and Answers - January Update LIVE

Default Questions and Answers - January Update LIVE

These will inevitably appear in one form or another, hence this early attempt at providing some clarity.

Q: Will I need to restart my campaign after the January Update (launched on the 20th)?
    A: Yes, most likely

Q: Does a patch always require me to restart my campaign?
    A: No, only when explicitly stated so

Q: Will there be patches shortly after the 20th? Will I have to restart my campaign again? Is it better to wait until you guys have ironed things out?
    A: There will be smaller patches focusing on bug fixes and quality of life improvements. These will be save game compatible, meaning you can continue your ongoing campaigns. If a certain update will require a restart, it will be offered as an add-on, to be patched into the main mod after a certain time (e.g. a month)

Q: Is this version 4 turns per year by default?
    A: Yes. You can (and should!) unsubscribe to the 4TPY submod

Q: What about the other submods? Are they still compatible?
    A: As far as we know, yes.

Q: Are the end turn CTDs resolved in this patch?
    A: We believe so. Most rebel factions were cut out of this version. Extensive testing has seen promising results. If you still receive a crash, report it.

Q: Why are icons/descriptions missing? Is my file broken?
    A: Missing items will be patched in

Q: Are barbarians playable?
    A: In theory, yes. But mind that this large faction group is still in its infancy in terms of features and degree of polish. They will be much more fleshed out in updates to come, hence a richer experience is to be expected from other factions like Rome.

Q: Why wasn't bug X fixed?
    A: The work on this patch has been demanding for our small team, and there isn't always time to look at everything. Keep posting bug reports and they will be ironed out in time

Q: Why wasn't feature Y implemented?
    A: As above

Q: When will the next update be released?
    A: More information when the time comes

Q: What is planned for future updates?
    A: More units, event chains (and if we find a scripter, scripted events/invasions), overhauled naval garrisons and recruitment, content updates to all factions, to name a few

Q: What can I do to help the mod?
    A: Join our Discord! You can help us by beta testing, modding, in a public relations role and more!
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Questions and Answers - January Update LIVE

Was there much done to battles in this update? The AI seems to be keeping back some units as reserves and using them wisely in the way Petellius got them to way back but then lost (if I remember correctly). I almost lost at Zama through arrogance.

Since this is january update live Q&A, i have one question. Why are all units invisible? Generals on world map and all units (except horses) on battle map can't be seen. So far nobody reported to have this problem, so i am wondering what am i doing wrong.

Did you subscribe to part 2? If so maybe try verifying the cache?
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

@Petellius I have non-steam version. And because of that, i made user.script and placed it in game script folder. then i have extracted 1st part using winrar and second uzing 7zip(couldn't use winrar). than i have placed that in data folder. so, that did not work, as described. what i did is to download total war mod manager, delete user.scrip, reextract 1st part using 7zip, and for 2nd part i selected all 3 parts and than extracted using 7zip. after that i started game using mod manager (ticked on this mod), and game was fine then. which step helped i do not know, it is important that i play game now. but thank you for your help

When will you add spies?

I'm getting very bad FPS with this mod at max settings and it keeps saying it will turn down settings in battle because im running out of VRAM.

In the options it only shows 3gb, but I should have 11gb. I found a fix to bring it up to 4gb, but it wont allow me to go any higher and I still get the same messages. Any way to increase this number or is it not possible to play this mod at high settings? I got 2080ti

Quote Originally Posted by hegga View Post
    I'm getting very bad FPS with this mod at max settings and it keeps saying it will turn down settings in battle because im running out of VRAM.

In the options it only shows 3gb, but I should have 11gb. I found a fix to bring it up to 4gb, but it wont allow me to go any higher and I still get the same messages. Any way to increase this number or is it not possible to play this mod at high settings? I got 2080ti
    Have you selected 'unlimited video memory' in the graphics settings? That should help. It's definitely possible to run the mod with maxed out graphics.
    This is a good mod to use too https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1493472759

I will try it thanks. I also tried the benchmark which I believe the mod changes nothing in? Where I got under 50 fps which is less than in battlefield V with everything fully maxed including ray tracing. So am I doing something wrong or is the game poorly optimized for the for the new nvidia cards?

Also I get spikes in the benchmark so it feels a lot less than 50fps

Quote Originally Posted by hegga View Post
    I will try it thanks. I also tried the benchmark which I believe the mod changes nothing in? Where I got under 50 fps which is less than in battlefield V with everything fully maxed including ray tracing. So am I doing something wrong or is the game poorly optimized for the for the new nvidia cards?
    It is very poorly optimised. One of the many unnecessary problems with attila. Perhaps one day they might condescend to update the game. Seems unlikely though.

I have gtx 660 though and 15gb ram, only setting I have below the highest is shadows and I run the mod with minimal lag 90% of the time. Idk about the benchmark as the game has crashed every time I've tried to use that.

It being a 32bit application apparently has something to do with it. https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...jyj/?context=3

https://steamcommunity.com/app/32561...3594764752203/

Maybe try that too, does seem to help
    Last edited by Julio-Claudian; February 18, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

Civis

How come the mod is 4 turns per year again? The benefits of a 2 turn per year game as stated in the "Ancient Empires Gameplay Guide" seem to outweigh those of the 4 turn per year.

Quote Originally Posted by frotxy View Post
    How come the mod is 4 turns per year again? The benefits of a 2 turn per year game as stated in the "Ancient Empires Gameplay Guide" seem to outweigh those of the 4 turn per year.
    People seem to massively prefer 4tpy. It was at the stage where many bug reports and issues were reported with the 4TPY mod on. Ultimately when everyone is going to install that 4tpy mod and then complain that things aren't working, they might as well make the main mod 4tpy.
    Last edited by Causeless; March 01, 2019 at 04:13 AM.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    People seem to massively prefer 4tpy. It was at the stage where many bug reports and issues were reported with the 4TPY mod on. Ultimately when everyone is going to install that 4tpy mod and then complain that things aren't working, they might as well make the main mod 4tpy.
    Thank you, I appreciate the answer.

hey guys, hope you had a nice christmas break.. is there no patch change list for the 20 january update?

hey guys. didnt know where else to post it. can i reduce the height to which campaign map camera zooms out? its way too far out atm for my liking and once zoomed out campaign map looks way too small as a result. it has an effect of trivializing the campaign map and making it look as well as feel too small. i would like to maybe restrict that by half, to begin with. thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    hey guys. didnt know where else to post it. can i reduce the height to which campaign map camera zooms out? its way too far out atm for my liking and once zoomed out campaign map looks way too small as a result. it has an effect of trivializing the campaign map and making it look as well as feel too small. i would like to maybe restrict that by half, to begin with. thanks in advance.
    You can change camera stuff in in campaign_variables. I think its camera_maximum_distance. Have a look with pfm