Thread: I've read the installation instructions but still have some issues and questions [Steam on Linux]

Default I've read the installation instructions but still have some issues and questions [Steam on Linux]

Hi I was hoping one good soul could help me with few issues/questions.

I have MTWII+Kingdoms freshly installed on Linux (Steam -Feral porting).

1- I'm supposed to "copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder)".
    Problem is : I don't have a 'banners' folder in share/data/data. Should I create it and put the file?

2-'Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data. You play with vanilla settlements' . Why is there such big limitation on Linux? There's really no way around it?

3-2GB memory application limitation. Does this limitation apply to Linux 64bit too (and feral porting)?
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Default Re: I've read the installation instructions but still have some issues and questions [Steam on Linux]

Quote Originally Posted by invicta View Post
    Hi I was hoping one good soul could help me with few issues/questions.

I have MTWII+Kingdoms freshly installed on Linux (Steam -Feral porting).

1- I'm supposed to "copy no_banner.mesh from share/data/mods/ebii/data/banners to share/data/data/banners (yes outside of the mod's folder)".
    Problem is : I don't have a 'banners' folder in share/data/data. Should I create it and put the file?

2-'Delete your settlements folder in share/data/mods/ebii/data. You play with vanilla settlements' . Why is there such big limitation on Linux? There's really no way around it?

3-2GB memory application limitation. Does this limitation apply to Linux 64bit too (and feral porting)?
    Have you found answer to your questions (especially point 2 and 3)?

Default Re: I've read the installation instructions but still have some issues and questions [Steam on Linux]

Quote Originally Posted by M3m3nt0 View Post
    Have you found answer to your questions (especially point 2 and 3)?
    For anyone who is interested, regarding point 2, I found a tutorial to make custom settlements work (disabling some custom animations, so graphics will not be perfect), but I've not tried to follow it personally. I periodically regain interest in EB2, though the fact that I have to play with medieval settlements since when I switched to Linux bugs me a little. I'm currently re-downloading EB2 (and perhaps this time I'll stick to it for a bit longer) so I can't test this tutorial right now, and I can't even access EB2 folders to have a look at its files.

Here is the tutorial, with a list of custom settlements for TATW: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...buntu)-and-Mac

The process is pretty long (it has to be done for every non-working settlement), so it would be useful to be able to test it with a single, specific, custom settlement if possible. Is there any way to start a custom battle while being sure of which custom settlement is being loaded? This way, I could test the tutorial instructions with a single settlement, before embarking in such a cumbersome process.
    After that, is there a way to find out which custom settlements actually crash the game, and if some of them work without modifications?

Since the tutorial actually changes some files, it would be possible (if everything works as intended) to modify the non-working EB2 settlements and release them as a "Linux patch". I've not touched EB2 or M2TW modding for years, but I'm willing to look into it and I'd be happy if someone wished to help.

Quick update: I'm trying to edit settlement files as explained in the tutorial. It's quicker than I thought and it seems to work, although I've still to test everything thoroughly.

As of now, I'm able to start custom siege battles with a Western Greek town or large town (which previously crashed). The Western Greek village works out of the box. I'l go on with city etc., then change culture.
    I've not played a battle yet so I haven't checked if any other errors come up, but I expect to only have a few missing animations on walls and towers. I'll let you know.

To edit the files I'm referring to the "settlement ownership information.txt" file found in the settlements/documentation folder. It would be useful, however, to know two things:
    1. is there any custom settlement that I can't test in custom battle? If so, how could I test it and which files would I have to edit?
    2. what's the difference in the "defence level" of huge cities in custom battles? If I select level 1, 2 or 3, does the game access different files? Which files are accessed in each case?

If anyone is able to help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Of course, if everything will work as expected, I'll release the file as a "linux patch" on this forum asking anyone to test it, if possible!
    Last edited by SunShadow; April 03, 2021 at 10:05 AM.

I've shared an incomplete version of the fix that should be working with some settlements. Whoever would like to help, please head to this new thread: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...0#post16011630