Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech guys, Laptop help

I, Claudius's Avatar Foederatus

Default Tech guys, Laptop help

Hello guys. I’m about to buy a laptop and am pretty far from tech savvy. I fully understand the desktop advantage but circumstances require that I get a laptop. However, I’m a DEI snob and REALLY want to be able to enjoy the game in Ultra settings. I’m looking at the Asus Rog Zephyrus and I’m hoping some of you gentlemen can provide some guidance. Specs are:
    I7-8750 2.2 GHz
    GTX 1080
    16 GB DDR4 Ram @2666
    512 GB SSD
    screnn is 15” and runs at 1920 X 1080

Thank you very much for your help!

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Tech guys, Laptop help

That CPU will not cut as game relies heavily on it rather than GPU. I woukd rather look for something with GTX 1070 and much better CPU.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    That CPU will not cut as game relies heavily on it rather than GPU. I woukd rather look for something with GTX 1070 and much better CPU.
    Thanks for the reply...what CPU would you suggest?

Gaming Laptops are not worth it. Pc always if you wanna get serious.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Hello Claudius I would suggest you to visit our Basement for a complete guide and various purchase-upgrade suggestions.
    Just give me a comment and I'll make sure you'll get a detailed answer

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Hello Claudius I would suggest you to visit our Basement for a complete guide and various purchase-upgrade suggestions.
    Just give me a comment and I'll make sure you'll get a detailed answer
    Thanks very much! Not only is DEI the greatest mod ever but this forum never disappoints!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by I, Claudius View Post
    Thanks very much! Not only is DEI the greatest mod ever but this forum never disappoints!

Cheers!
    We're here to support you as much as we can Sir

Be sure that the laptop has proper cooling. Many if not most laptops with strong CPUs overheat so they throttle quickly to keep their temps low and making them slower than some weaker CPUs which wont overheat.

CPU like i9 9900 is no go for laptop in my opinion

Yeah, if you're going to game with a laptop, I'd advice you to atleast get a decent cooling pad as well, I use both a cooling pad and an exhaust cooling fan, which decreases my temp on average by about 30-35 ° C.

Quote Originally Posted by I, Claudius View Post
    Hello guys. I’m about to buy a laptop and am pretty far from tech savvy. I fully understand the desktop advantage but circumstances require that I get a laptop. However, I’m a DEI snob and REALLY want to be able to enjoy the game in Ultra settings. I’m looking at the Asus Rog Zephyrus and I’m hoping some of you gentlemen can provide some guidance. Specs are:
    I7-8750 2.2 GHz
    GTX 1080
    16 GB DDR4 Ram @2666
    512 GB SSD
    screnn is 15” and runs at 1920 X 1080

Thank you very much for your help!

I bought a gaming machine in 2017 and it works wonders with DEI maxed out:

HP LAPTOP OMEN

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
    8GB Samsung 2400MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6,063 MB
    Screen 1920 x 1080 - 17''
    SSD 128 GB
    HD 1000 GB

Your spec should surpass the above Perhaps bump up CPU
    Last edited by jegui; January 18, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Hadrian

Foederatus

You should be fine there, on all accounts. The thing with the i7-8xxx series is they actually increase their CPU speeds depending on the demand. So in the case of the 8750 it starts at 2.20, but can run up to a maximum of 4.10Ghz per core.

I've got the budget level Acer 5 Nitro:
    i5-8300 (2.3Ghz - 3.9Ghz)
    12GB Ram
    GTX 1050 (4GB)

And while I can't run games in 4K, it powers through Rome 2 and DeI - the Warhammer games as well.

All that in a 6lb package, which is quite nice if you require the portability.

Thank you everyone for your replies, cheers!

It's just after the holidays, don't forget about Ebay and stuff. You can probably find some good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post
    Be sure that the laptop has proper cooling. Many if not most laptops with strong CPUs overheat so they throttle quickly to keep their temps low and making them slower than some weaker CPUs which wont overheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Yeah, if you're going to game with a laptop, I'd advice you to atleast get a decent cooling pad as well, I use both a cooling pad and an exhaust cooling fan, which decreases my temp on average by about 30-35 ° C.
    Surely a no go since 9900 is hot as hell and plus one for the extra cooling solutions. They'll be long term investments for the overall laptop's performance and health.

Quote Originally Posted by jegui View Post
    I bought a gaming machine in 2017 and it works wonders with DEI maxed out:

HP LAPTOP OMEN

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
    8GB Samsung 2400MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - 6,063 MB
    Screen 1920 x 1080 - 17''
    SSD 128 GB
    HD 1000 GB

Your spec should surpass the above Perhaps bump up CPU
    Solid! Plus another 8 gigs of RAM will help you with loading times

Quote Originally Posted by Jin- View Post

My college laptop has an i7 7700HQ and overheated, which led to system crashes a lot. Managed to fix it mostly by undervolting, it still gets hot but doesn't crash and if it starts to throttle I just alt-tab out of the game and let it cool somewhat and I'm good to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by Driesmann View Post
    My college laptop has an i7 7700HQ and overheated, which led to system crashes a lot. Managed to fix it mostly by undervolting, it still gets hot but doesn't crash and if it starts to throttle I just alt-tab out of the game and let it cool somewhat and I'm good to go again.
    Laptops are prone to overheating due to lack of exhausts and bad airflow. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the CPU's capabilities and such.
    Changing thermal paste will do wonders (I would suggest Thermal Grizzly) and for more hardcore users delid but that's another story ofc.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 22, 2019 at 12:18 PM.

Hi,
    regarding good deals, I just got myself the MSI GS65 8RF. It has some nice discounts since they have announced the follow up version at the CES, and I can confirm that the laptop is running TW games smoothly!

If you can go for a desktop then i would recommend the 8th or 9th gen i7's (if you can go for a K edition with a Z motherboard then all the better, but keep in mind that you will need a beefy cooler or AIO cooler). All new games greatly bennefit from fast ram so go for 3000MHz. As for the GPU segment a 1080ti , 2070 or 2080 will be more than enough. And if you MUST have a laptop than the Rog Zephyrus is great but keep in mind that its big bulky and will hurt your back plus it will throttle down to keep it from overheating. If you need anything else feel free to contact me I can make a custom system config according to your budget (My previous job was a PC system builder for gamer's, companies etc etc [No i wasnt fired ] )

Quote Originally Posted by AncientMind View Post
    If you can go for a desktop then i would recommend the 8th or 9th gen i7's (if you can go for a K edition with a Z motherboard then all the better, but keep in mind that you will need a beefy cooler or AIO cooler). All new games greatly bennefit from fast ram so go for 3000MHz. As for the GPU segment a 1080ti , 2070 or 2080 will be more than enough. And if you MUST have a laptop than the Rog Zephyrus is great but keep in mind that its big bulky and will hurt your back plus it will throttle down to keep it from overheating. If you need anything else feel free to contact me I can make a custom system config according to your budget (My previous job was a PC system builder for gamer's, companies etc etc [No i wasnt fired ] )
    Yeah, he would prefer a laptop (at least for now) and he mentioned a future desktop built at some point. He is more interested to DEI and Rome 2 so I would suggest a powerful CPU, since TW tittles are CPU and less GPU heavy and a quick SSD for loading times during AI faction turns.
    Off the top of my head I would say: MSI GS65 Stealth, MSI GT75 Titan, Asus ROG Strix GL502, Asus ROG G703GI, Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501, Razer Blade, Acer Predator Helios 300, Gigabyte Aero 15X v8, are all excellent choices.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 22, 2019 at 06:28 PM.

Thanks again to everyone for your help. Despite my stated “need” for a laptop I ended up buying a desktop from Cyberpower on Monday. I just couldn’t stand the idea of a battery lasting maybe 3 hours, pretty much defeated my idea of mobile. So if anyone is interested here is what my build was and it’s cost:

cyberpower Onyxia mid tower W USB 3.0
    8th Gen I7 8700K 3.7 OC @ 10%
    ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming MB
    16GB DDR4/3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM
    1 TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6GB SSD plus 32 GB Intel Optane Acceleration 4X faster
    GeForce RTX 2080

included gaming mouse, keyboard, headphones mouse pad.

also included COD BO4 & Battlefield 5, plus $150 in AMEX gift cards. I found 5% off coupon code so grand total with shipping was $2008. But minus the gift cards, real cost $1858.

for a monitor I got the Alienware curved 34” 3440 X1440 Gsync at Amazon for $829.

hopefully this will be my dream system for DEI but if anybody ne has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help.

thanks again everybody!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast