Thread: Game AI comments

Default Game AI comments

I wasn't un-impressed by Medieval II stock AI (so far), as provided by 'the complete' version, but one of its short comings reminded me of what I would consider an un-noticed design flaw with regard to city gates. simply approaching city gates from the interior shouldn't open them as it appears to confuse occasionally, and repeatedly with the AI's intention to reinforce them. perhaps it is a bad tactical call by leadership, but it occurs to me that on more than one occasion i had the same problem where i opened city gates without the intention of doing so. perhaps there can be a better method for opening gates, including for engaging other constructs such as siege, like a pop-up command window with open, close, open a little-bit, options etc.

Azorica's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Game AI comments

Well first of all welcome to TWC.

Secondly, the AI was always a few chromosomes short of full intelligence and considering it is a "oldish" game, some dumbfkery moments are to be expected, such as the automatic opening gates (which i'm not aware of any mod to "fix" it), although to be completely fair it was a decent AI back in the day. Some mods do make it somewhat smarter and more challenging (also highly recommend you try some!).
    Diplomacy is almost pointless as they back stab you constantly in vanilla but still has uses such as trade deals and the AI cheats in higher difficulties with more shinies and morale.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The gate opening can be prevented by stationing at least one unit right inside of it in the deployment phase. It opens if you move too close\closer to it, as it is supposed to do, ergo do not move that unit forward once you have stationed it and play has started. Any additional, supporting units should never be ordered to move closer then the initial unit once play has started for the same reason - unless the gate has been breached already.

Unfortunately there is no 'lock the gates' button that would make this easier - but then it would disable exiting the settlement\castle through other gates. Nothing more embarrassing if you would forget 'unlocking' the gates if you intend to make a counter attack from the side\back or if doing so opening the attacked gate.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I did not know that about initial deployment. But then, I usually have cavalry charging out to disrupt the attacker with the ladders and rams being positioned and then returning. Or I just hold back and wait and hope.... Thanks for this great clue on defending the front gate!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Letting the cavalry out through that gate will disrupt the proper closing set up - that's why I mentioned the side gates. I have my cavalry set up at the side gates and start moving them out in a normal speed as soon as the battle begins so as not to tire them.

Once they are in position I let them charge, retreat, repeat. The effect is nearly an exploit as it messes up the AI long enough to have it's forces heavily decimated by arrow fire from the walls. When the gate is breached retreat your cavalry opposite that gate and rest them - they'll come handy at a later stage when everything is happening around the plaza, should it come to that.