Thread: CTD during AI Turn

Default CTD during AI Turn

I'm running Stainless Steel 6.4 on the Steam version of Total War: Medieval II - Definitive Edition on Mac.

It's turn number 290 and after ending the turn the game crashes to desktop during the Byzantine Empire's turn. I've turned off fog of war and tried to locate the exact cause of the crash and it isn't a consistent cause. It typically happens once a byzantine army finishes it's movement, but the exact time and army that it crashes on changes.

Here's the latest crash report.

Medieval II Total War 13.crash.zip

Any help would be appreciated!

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: CTD during AI Turn

Okay make a copy of the save. (so you don't mess with your current save)

Then use the kill_faction command to kill the byz's on your new copy. See if you can continue then.

If so, then its most likely a byz character/agent. We just gotta figure out with one.

Let me know if the kill faction command lets you bypass the error. Then we'll work on ways to identify the culprit.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

So I'm running into a slight issue with the kill faction command.

Entering: kill_faction byzantium
    Isn't working, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong unless I have the name of the faction wrong.

the actual command is:
    surrender_regions <faction_name>

Be warned that simply typing in surrender_regions with no parameters will kill your faction.
    LOSTHIEF

Oh okay, tried that, faction got destroyed and now it crashes instantly once I hit end turn.

I think I may have stumbled on what the actual issue is though.
    I think it has something to do with the Definitive Edition update, which apparently requires MacOS 10.14 to run all of a sudden.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 12.47.48 AM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	356971

So I'm going to upgrade to Mojave and hopefully that resolves the issue.
    Looks like others were running into problems too: https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...8693705113031/

After also upgrading to macOS 10.14, the issue is persisting. The Byzantine faction gets destroyed and then it crashes as soon as I end the turn.

That is weird. the surrender faction should of bypassed that if its always byz's. And its not the same army/character (so we can move that one)? Whose after the byz's? try to surrender them.
    LOSTHIEF

The Republic of Novgorod, destroyed their faction and ended the turn, it didn't crash until on the byzantine's turn this time.

So just for fun, I tried destroying both Novgorod and the Byzantine's and it didn't crash and successfully made it to turn 291.
    Any thoughts on what's going wrong?

did the byz's or the novogrod have princesses? See if one of them is trying to marry the other faction. Then maybe they have a trait reference or something causing the crash. If they do, move princesses farther away. Gotta be an interaction between the two, it be SOOOOOO rare that it would be two seperate things same turn.

Let me know.
    LOSTHIEF

I am dealing with a similar CTD issue. Playing as Venice, crash occurs during Lithuania's turn, or sometimes as it goes from Lithuania to Kievan Rus' turn, on turn 169. I have attempted to use the surrender_region command to troubleshoot which faction it is, but I must be screwing up the syntax.

Using surrender_regions <kievan_rus> or surrender_regions "kievan_rus" both result in my own regions surrendering. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, sorry was out of town.

I believe I've located all the Byzantine & Novgorodian princesses on the map. I found 3 from Byzantine and 1 from Novgorod.
    2 of the Byzantine ones have names that are giving me issues with the move_character command, Georgia the Affectionate and Eflogia the Affectionate.

I'm not sure how to find out their last names.

I moved the ones I could but it still crashed.

Nimitz when using the surrender_region command try: surrender_regions kievan_rus

No "" or <>

Hello JonBlaze. Your advice worked and I determined which faction was causing a problem, Lithuania. Now I'm wondering if I should just nuke them and continue on, or if I should try to figure out what specific character could be causing the problem. How did you take control of and move characters from other factions in your game?

For example, I had to move Efsevia Sevastopoulos to the position, 126,247 I entered: move_character "Efsevia Sevastopoulos" 126,147

Quote Originally Posted by JonBlaze View Post
    Okay, sorry was out of town.

I believe I've located all the Byzantine & Novgorodian princesses on the map. I found 3 from Byzantine and 1 from Novgorod.
    2 of the Byzantine ones have names that are giving me issues with the move_character command, Georgia the Affectionate and Eflogia the Affectionate.

I'm not sure how to find out their last names.

I moved the ones I could but it still crashed.
    Same last name as the dad. Ignore nickname, the game files do.

Also post your save and your ss_setup selctions and submods installed if the other two princess don't fix it either. I'm at a lost at this point, so maybe i can see something if i load up the save.

---------
    @nimtz: up to u, if lithuania was small enough it might not be worth it. but usually its a general traits or a agents traits triggers getting messed up (usually trying to reference more than one thing). Or if you have too many heirs in a row die in the same city causes it too (like king, heir, and next few in line in same city end of seige) can cause the game to ctd. Hard to pin down. If its always the same action before the crash (same army or agent moving) thats the one you need to move_character, or kill_character.
    Last edited by Losthief; February 01, 2019 at 03:38 AM.
    LOSTHIEF

After way too much time spent, trying to guess the princesses last names, it occurred to me that they were all sisters and shared the name Sevastopoulos...

So I moved them all but it still crashes so here's my saves.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qi...irKIdyrpRqv9Mg

I included the main one on turn 290 before the crash, a second one with the princesses moved (Byzantines near London, Novgorod near Dublin), and one on the following turn after having destroyed Byzantium and Novgorod.

This was an Early Era Campaign using the Savage AI and no submods.
    Thanks for taking a look at it!