Thread: Empire Maintenance

Default Empire Maintenance

Hey guys. So I've been playing the mod for several months, already completed a campaign with Pergamon, and with a Baktria campaign on the way. I conquered all of Baktria, India, almost all the Middle East, Armenia, and I'm starting to invade Asia Minor. The thing that's been bothering me the most is the empire maintenance. It's currently on 118% and it's eating my income. So my question is: how does it work? Is it the abundance of temples/libraries/other "public" buildings that raise the percentage?
    I'm trying to counteract the effect by raising taxes and trade tariffs through buildings, and raising the number of slaves (without compromising public order). Is it a good idea?
    Thanks! I want to say aswell that I love the mod. It's the best thing that happened to Rome II in my opinion.

Nordling's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Empire Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by cachulfaian View Post
    Hey guys. So I've been playing the mod for several months, already completed a campaign with Pergamon, and with a Baktria campaign on the way. I conquered all of Baktria, India, almost all the Middle East, Armenia, and I'm starting to invade Asia Minor. The thing that's been bothering me the most is the empire maintenance. It's currently on 118% and it's eating my income. So my question is: how does it work? Is it the abundance of temples/libraries/other "public" buildings that raise the percentage?
    I'm trying to counteract the effect by raising taxes and trade tariffs through buildings, and raising the number of slaves (without compromising public order). Is it a good idea?
    Thanks! I want to say aswell that I love the mod. It's the best thing that happened to Rome II in my opinion.
    Libraries actually lower EM so just spam them in every non-income oriented provinces. Also, water tanks reduce EM (at least for civilised factions). Generals & governor traits lower EM aswell and they are very worthwhile in later stages of the game. There are no other ways to reduce EM iirc, apart from technoligies ofc. In my Massalia campaign i have like 5-7 libraiers and 3 water tanks, reducing EM by quite a hefty amount. Also, I dedicated a lot of trait points in the EM reducing trait for majority of my generals and governors.

Interesting way to lower EM as well - max a military akademia building in one of your provinces, recruit generals with high exp in that province (very important step), allocate trait points in EM reducing trait in governor traits tree and then disband them. Repeat & profit. Although it is cheesy.
    Last edited by Nordling; January 16, 2019 at 08:27 AM.

I had the same problem playing as Rome, was sitting at over 100% em, until I noticed you could marry all the politicians/generals off and promote their wives. At the highest level they reduce empire maintenance. Sitting at 0% em now and have more money than I know what to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by yoho1234 View Post
    I had the same problem playing as Rome, was sitting at over 100% em, until I noticed you could marry all the politicians/generals off and promote their wives. At the highest level they reduce empire maintenance. Sitting at 0% em now and have more money than I know what to do with.
    That's much, much harder now - are you on the latest version? And, if so, then is your base still fairly low?
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

I'm on 1.2.4, just saw they released 1.2.4a, I'll have to update it. I'm just mopping up now, one region away from military or cultural victory.