Thread: Identity

Default Identity

"Don't worry, it won't be as bad as you imagine"

The older boy reassured the younger, who was a tad shorter and looked still more a child than a man.

"But... they breathe fire. And those claws... I heard they can open plate and mail like they were parchment and..."

"Listen to me"

"And they..."

"Alyn, just listen to me"

"Alright, aye, I'm listening"

The elder, Addam, grabbed the younger's shoulders.

"You have nothing to fear. We were born in Hull, goddammit, haven't you seen them? At grandfather's castle lived three at once!"

Corlys had taken care of both, he had visited them periodically, albeit not always in Hull itself, sometimes in Driftmark, and often, under secrecy.

"You know who our father was"

Addam's mother forbid them to ever tell anything, and for many years they didn't even know the man's name, nor Corlys' identity or relation to them both.

"He rode a dragon. Our aunt did as well. Our grandmother still does"

"Aye, that's true"

Alyn's liliac eyes seemed to be less filled with fear, the boy looked more confident.

"Now, forget about fear. Dragons do smell fear, you hear me?"

"Do they?"

"Like any animal. You know that horses do! Think about them as very large and fire-breathing horses"

"That comparison sucks, Addy"

"Seven hells"

Addam laughed and punched, softly, his brother's shoulder.

"Oh, shut up. You know what I mean!"

"Aye, I do"

"Now, let's go"

In the meanwhile, the ship had approached land and the boat was readied. A woman in leathern robes appeared. The ship had a figurehead in the shape of a brown mouse, carved in wood. The woman was small and comely, even if middle aged and somewhat unremarkable.

"You know I can't go with you or step into the island. Least so climb the Dragonmount"

She looked somewhat worried, but she tried to conceal it.

"Both of you have supplies for a week, ropes and all you need. Corlys... Lord Velaryon, said he would take care of you both..."

A group of riders appeared on the beach, they wore Velaryon's livery and rode under the seahorse's banner. An elderly man was at the head of such a retinue, clad in riding leathers and with a teal cloak.

"Thank you, mother. We'll be back, I swear"

"Seven guide you both"

Marilda kissed and hugged both boys. Moments later they were in the beach, welcomed by an armored man, clad in silvery mail and a helmet with a horsetail crest.

"Welcome you both, take the reins, we leave, now"

Lord Velaryon was smiling slightly, seeing the boys always comforted his heart, shame he could rarely visit them.

"Thanks, grandfather"

Addam duly said.

"We're heading North, I know whose dragon has made a lair there"

"Oh"

"Close your mouth, boy. The lair is not that far, that's why I told Marilda... ahemmm, you mother, to sail here. Now, mount"

Both boys mounted their horses, the reins handed to them by the armored retainer. They started riding towards the point indicated by Corlys. Dragonstone wasn'ta fertile island, rocky and ragged, scarcely covered in any vegetation, solely some twisted trees and small, ashen bushes. The landscape was impresive, tho, with the volcano raising over their heads, the peak covered with the smoke of several small fumes. The path soon ended and they had to follow poorly mantained trails, but the horses seemed sure-footed, probably belonged to the isle's garrison and were used to such terrain. They made a short stop, to drink and eat something, for the sun was high in the sky. Some time later, they stopped entirely, when Corlys raised a hand. He curled his silvery moustache twice.

"You heard that?"

Leathern wings. He nodded, to himself.

"He's here"

"Who, grandfather... if I may ask?"

"Seasmoke. Your father's darling"

One could say Corlys was smiling mischevously, but none could see, he was at the head of the group. The boys were speechless, stunned. They had been lectured along the way and for days they had thought about it, but they were not entirely prepared, at least young Alyn.

"We can't go any further. I provided you with instructions, I've seen this many, many different times in my quite long life. Try to follow them, but remember, instinct is more important. And remember, as well, that dragons are noble, proud and fickle. Be cautious"

I beg you.

But he didn't say that. He was Lord Velaryon, the first peer of the realm could not beg. At least, not aloud.

"Seven guard you"

"You as well, Seven light you!"

Said Alyn, followed by Addam. They tied the horse's reins to a trunk and set both tents while Lord Corlys and retainers returned to wherever they were housed, probably Dragonstone itself. The boys now were on their own...
    Last edited by Oznerol; January 15, 2019 at 03:02 PM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Default Re: Identity

What awakened Alyn wasn't Addam's attempt at cooking at breakfast, or the sunlight or even a dragon's roar. Surprisingly was a modest insect, a dragonfly, who had entered the tent. Alyn rubs his eyes, noticing the four-winged insect, flying around his head.

"Why are they called dragonflies?"

"What were you saying?"

Said Addam from the fireplace.

"Nothing"

Alyn replied, stretching his limbs. Addam was frying some eggs in a pan, he looked very focused, like doing something challenging. He handed Alyn a bit of bread and a slice of cheese.

"Eat. We're bound for a walk today"

The young bastard took seat on a middle-sized rock, while his brother served both eggs on a slice of bread that he handed to Alyn, who in the meanwhile had eaten his share of cheese.

"Do you see that?"

Addam pointed a crag nearby. The top was unnaturally devoid of any vegetation, even considering Dragonstone's standards, and some rocks, even from that distance, looked charred, blackened. A small pillar of smoke added the last detail to the picture provided by such a sight.

"Oh, I do, that's where...?"

"Aye. The smoke is probably the dragon's breath. I ventured in that direction before you were up, and it did smell of... rotten eggs, sulfur"

Nothing weird in a volcanic isle, though, but still, it was a sign.

"That's Seasmoke's lair. At least grandfather swears as much, he says he comes from time to time wishing to have a look at the mount"

"Why?"

"He doesn't know"

Probably because it reminded him of a dead son, Addam said to himself.

"Let's go. Come on"

Alyn wrapped his cloak and took his backpack, Addam wore no cloak, but did as much and took the needed supplies. They left both horses at the small camp. Unknowingly, Corlys had placed guardsmen at a distance. Watchers. Some fast horsemen too, in case they were needed. Good retainers, all of them. But Corlys knew the boys need to do what they must alone, on their own. The path to the crag wasn't demanding, just a gentle slope for a long while. Both boys were walking at a good pace and they got closer by the minute. The stony crag towered over them and a serpentine path lead to the top.

"Oh, let's wrap a rope around our waists now, just in case one of us misses a step"

"Aye"

They did as much and started the climb, more of a hike than an actual climbing, though. But this was now more demanding and both were sweating by the time the reached the top, which was dish like and way bigger than they had thought. The Dragonmount towered over them, like an immense natural fortress, peak upon peak, formidable and fearsome, almost a living being, covered in smoke. Barren, naked black stone. Addam takes something from the floor and hands it to Alyn.

"Dragonglass"

"Oh. You can't see this on Driftmark"

"No, you don't. Now, hush, let's hide behind these rocks"

The top was indeed blackened, almost eroded, burned. A lot of bones littered the place, chewed, burned and charred. A cave could be seen nearby, with a very wide mouth, and the small pillar of smoke originated there. It strongly smell of sulfur, smoke, blood and something beastly, very hard to describe. But this was undoubtedly a lair.

"Alyn"

"Ye-e-es?"

Addam took his hand.

"It's my turn, you know that, right?"

They talked in a hushed tone. Addam removed his backpack and untied the ropes uniting them.

"Aye"

"You know I love you, right?"

"A-a-ye?"

"Yes, you know. I might not be back from this, Alyn"

"Don't say that! Don't you ever dare saying that, again, Addam, don't, just don't"

"Hush. Dragons are fickle. I could die, Alyn. If I do. No, listen to me"

Alyn was moving with unease.

"If I do, run. Run. Tell grandfather what happened. And if you're still willing to make an attempt, do it. But if you want to go back with mom, it'll be fine. I won't blame you, you won't disappoint anybody. Better alive than dying being a hero, you understand?"

Alyn nodded, but he looked slightly distressed. Worried.

"Oh well, Seven guide me. Warrior give me strenght"

Addam made the sign of the Seven over the chest, a seven pointed start. He stood and moved towards the lair, very slowly, but with confidence. Or so Alyn thought as he watched his brother get closer to his fate, step by step.

A low rumble resonated from the darkness, the source unseen by the Velaryon bastard. An intense heat burned deep within, dry as bone, like the funeral pyres reserved for the Targaryen kings. A dragon did indeed live here - but was it Seasmoke? It was impossible for Addam to know whether it had yet sensed his presence, but as he crept ever closer to the cavernous entrance nothing seemed to stir. Then, there was another rumble, lower and quieter than the last. Whatever it was moved very quickly in the darkness, and the young keen eyes of Addam of Hull would be able to make out the writhing beast that made its way into the light. A pair of large grey, serpentine eyes stared back at him, and the heat would only grow more unbearable as it drew closer. Then, a short distance from the exit, barely visible, it stopped. Nostrils flared as the beast took in the air. Though largely obscured by shadow, the long body and leathery wings were unmistakable. Unmoving, like a viper waiting to strike, the gaze of this wyrm remained fixed upon he who would dare to disturb its lair upon the Dragonmont.

It was worse than expected, but noneless, he didn't let fear to have control over his actions. The heat seemed somewhat... it was like a long-lost memory, reminded of home. The heat was comforting. Those with Valyrian blood seemed quite used to high temperatures. Addam removed his gloves.

"You know my scent"

He said, not knowing if he was going to be understood or not. But he presented a hand, without doubts, and advanced without hesitation, confidently. The dragon was magnificent.

"I'm Addam"

Introducing oneself to a dragon seemed entirely pointless, but still, he did. It was a show of respect. He kept eye contact with the beast, almost drowning in the viperous gaze, which was almost hypnotic.

"I was born in Hull. I have seen dragons for my whole life"

He advanced a step a time, hand raised, presented as for the dragon to smell it. He was sweating, even if heat wrapped him like a heavy cloak.

"I'm Addam"

The boy repeated, trying to control his underlying anxiety. He would either be maimed, killed or... could succeed. But at that time, it didn't matter, he was fascinated by the beast, he wanted to feel it, to touch it. It felt familiar. He felt a sudden urge, born in the guts. An inner fire.

"We can be one"

A step closer. Time was seemingly slow like honey falling down, thick and heavy.

"You know my scent"

His voice was firm, undeniably so. He felt no fear now, that close to the dragon that he could see it, that he could feel its breath, see his pond-like eyes. If the dragon let him touch him, sense him, maybe...

Meanwhile, Alyn was looking from behind two rocks, biting his nails to the bone. Anxious. Nervous. Scared. He had never felt so much anxiety, but it wasn't for himself, but for his brother. Addam's death would be devastating. Alyn prayed to all the gods he knew, from R'hllor to the Butterfly God of Naath, the Lord of Armony. He could see the dark hole his brother had entered and could only wonder what was happening inside. So far, only distant echoes of the young man's voice reached him and the low, rumbling breath of the beast.

Gods, please. Gods. Any of you will listen to me?

It didn't move, but remained staring. Like a dog, it bared its teeth a little, though whether this was a smile or a warning was unknown. It took a step back into the darkness, as if unsure. Addam could now see - the beast was definitely Seasmoke, for though it was obscured in the darkness the faint blue-grey colouring was unmistakable. It was a long, lithe beast, smaller than Caraxes or Meleys but slimmer, and more serpentine. There was a low rumble, once more. Perhaps it was scared, or even hungry. Addam could sense that it required something, at least, to bridge the gap between them.

"Oh, right"

Alyn took something from a bag, pending from his belt.

"Take, it's good"

It was a lamb's calf. He offered it humbly, nicely, leaving it near the dragon. He stood up again, slowly.

"It's not much, I know. I have more outside, if you want"

Addam smiled, even if he didn't even know a dragon could see a smile.

"I know you. You're Seasmoke. As you know me, the scent is familiar, yes? I've seen you before, perched in High Tide. My father was Laenor"

He felt like a fool for talking to a dragon, but it was said they were intelligent. And he lost nothing for trying to be nice, the opposite could end with him dead.

"Can I get closer?"

Both hands bared, forwards.

"We could be friends, you know. Like my father was, you remember him, Laenor?"

The lamb was gone, as quickly as it had been placed, snatched away by the whippet-like serpent. It regarded him curiously; perhaps it did recognise his scent, or else Addam would have found himself in the place of the lamb meat. An unbearable heat filled the cave as fire leapt from the Dragon’s jaws, a lick of flame to singe the meat before it was gobbled down. After the gift, it allowed him to approach, though it was by no means relaxed; the tension in the air was thick enough to cut through with a blade.

"You're magnificent, no wonder my father loved you. Remember flying with him? I would love to fly... cross the sky with you, wouldn't it be nice?"

Said the young man.

I sound utterly stupid, but whatever.

"I will touch you, I have to. Allow me, please"

His right hand, without glove, approache the beast's scaly, armored skin, he didn't hesitate, as if one was going to touch an old friend. He was utterly fascinated, eyes fixed on the dragon.

So be it, if I have to die, I will.

The Dragon remained perfectly still, allowing Addam’s hand to run across the scales. They were hard like metal, but as warm as the feel of sand upon a beach. He was close enough now to notice that each one varied in colour, a spectrum of blues and greys that would blend in either with the ocean or the night sky. It turned its head round to regard him, two large, ocean blue eyes meeting his own. It made a low, rumbling sound, perhaps akin to the purr of a cat.

Addam caresses the scales very gently.

"I now understand your name, Seasmoke"

The changing colors of its hue were hypnotising, like fumes, coiling in whimsical ways. Ever changing, fickle, playful. Just like the dragon seemed to be. Addam didn't break eye contact as he caressed the scales, the rumbling was like a lullaby.

"You're beautiful. I've never seen something like this. Never"

His young hand stopped on a spot for a second.

"You're like a misty-covered sea at dusk. Like the morning breaking on the horizon, over a thousand waves"

He resumed his caress. He drowned himself in the blue eyes, like two small and deep ponds. He used the rumbling as a guide to caress the dragon where it liked it the most.

"Great Seasmoke, may I mount you?"

Addam asked, again without hesitation.

"May we dance in the skies?"

His fingers draw the shape of the scales, following their contour.

"Will you let me?"

Addam could see the spot where the saddle would be, when the neck joined the powerful shoulders. Nature itself, be the Seven or the Many Gods of Valyria, had shaped dragons with many purposes in mind, one of them to be ridden.

Seasmoke responded gently to Addam’s touch. This was no wild dragon, but one previously tamed and ridden; like a domesticated pet, it would never truly be comfortable again alone in the wilderness. It needed a rider. The blood of old Valyria ran through Addam’s veins, and perhaps his kinship with Laenor - though ambiguous in origin - comforted the riderless beast. Slowly, she bent its head to the Velaryon bastard, proving her assent to his wish. They would ride, and through that crucible it would be decided whether he had the will to control the most magnificent of beasts.

"Ah. I thank you"

Addam proceeded with confidence, but cautiously. He climbed the dragon's side, using the natural support points provided by its particular anatomy. He sat there, both legs around the powerful neck, bent backwards, tightly against the dragon's side. The heat was everywhere, he could feel it through leather and cloth, like a brazier, but it was natural, like a small sun between the legs. Addam smell the beasts, a strong scent, ash, fire, blood and even a hint of death. He was now atop the most fearsome creature of creation.

"Seasmoke"

Addam whispered, leaning forwards, as an old friend or an old lover. Caressing the skin between the scales.

"Fly!"

He said, strongly, in Valyrian.

"Let's mount the world! For it's ours to seize!"

He pressed heels against the dragon's scales.

"Fly! Let's fly you and I! Onwards, my friend, onwards, Seasmoke!"

Addam abandoned himself to the dragon, trying to melt with him, to become one, shedding his thoughts like a skin. He grabs a silvery horn before him, and readied himself. When atop the dragon Valyrian feel like a mother tongue, words flowing to his mouth by mere inspiration.

----

Alyn, in the meanwhile, continued praying all gods he knew, hiding behind the rock... but, he heard some noise and peered from behind his hideout, bold and worried.

"Oh gods, Addam, please"

Fair weather was a good friend to Dragon and rider, with Addam and Seamsoke circling the Dragonmont high above the skies. Seasmoke was a strong willed beast, and the struggle for dominance between dragon and rider left Addam clinging on to her for dear life. Nearly twice he was thrown from her back as they soared amidst the clouds, but he held on, grazing his palms upon the rough scales. Fortunately, none other sought to disturb them, the infamous Cannibal perhaps out hunting for smaller wyrms rather than risking a battle with a fully grown drake. After some time amidst the heavens, both dragon and rider descended, bond now sealed between them. Addam of Hull had followed in the footsteps of the conqueror, and become a dragon rider.

Alyn had almost fallen to his arse when a roar erupted from the cave. Soon, he was standing before the rocks, watching as the pale and beautiful dragon left the lair, almost crawling like a worm, with the help of claws and wings. The boy was shocked when he saw none other but Addam riding the large beast, his elder brother didn't even see him, standing there in the charred rocks that covered the entrace to the lair, he just pressed onwards. Seasmoke openned both wings and soon, he was raising higher and higher... Alyn took both backpacks and ran downhill, tripping twice and scratching his knees, almost to the bone. Soon, a company of riders arrived, Corlys' watchers and retainers, and offered him a mount, to follow Addam as he soared the skies. In the meanwhile, the distant shape of Seasmoke flied towards Dragonstone.

It was exhilarating, ecstatic. Addam felt alive, brimming with an inner fire he had never known before. He roared with the dragon, tightly grabbing its horn, trying to not fall to his death; but even if he died, Addam would haven't cared. The world was small under his mount, he could glance some sheperds below and even some knights in mail and armor, riding, but they were like ants, insignificant. His head was literally in the clouds. Certainly, there were two dangerous moments, he almost fell twice, but he endured. After few minutes, Addam went further and tried to guide and lead his mount. The longer he was atop Seasmoke, the more she seemed to follow commands, and finally, he managed to make the dragon turn towards Dragonstone... not a bastard anymore, but a dragonrider...