Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is your favorite flexible medium infantry unit?

Default Re: What is your favorite flexible medium infantry unit?

Its the Athenian Picked Thureophoi. They're light spear infantry with the armor and combat stats of medium ones. I find it difficult to justify the thorax ones once those are available due to cost and far worse stamina.

Phrygians recruited in central Anatolia are wonderful armor-breakers. They are certainly the most reliable axe-and-shield AoR unit in the game, and they are core roster for Pontus.

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaSon21 View Post
    Its the Athenian Picked Thureophoi. They're light spear infantry with the armor and combat stats of medium ones. I find it difficult to justify the thorax ones once those are available due to cost and far worse stamina.
    Pergamon has a similar elite light spear unit.

Velico's Avatar Biarchus

I've always liked the medium spear unit for the Belgae, they get javelins, have decent armor, (probably have speed 3 but I haven't played with them since the update) good flexibility, and later on can be great protecting flanks. I think they have expert charge defense and a better charge bonus than most spears too. Really good unit for the price point.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired.
    RS II - Beta Tester, VVV:TW Historical Researcher

Technically, Lusitania Ambakaro are medium infantry. They have 3 speed, excellent stamina, and javelins anyway. Never mind their good armor, elite weapons, and exceptional stats which would otherwise characterize them as heavy infantry. (Carthage’s version is still powerful, but much weaker mostly because of the drastically reduced stamina).

I’m cheating though and picking two, because I already picked Thesprotian and I wouldn’t back down from them either.
    Last edited by Ptolemaios Soter; January 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM.

Foederatus

Do they toss javelins prior to their charge? Do they wield Axes, or a similar armour-piercing weapon? If so, I'll take 'em! Not really that picky

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    Maedi Peltasts. Great armor for the price, big enough shields, speed advantage over line infantry, javelins.
    SO MUCH THIS! Aaaaand Basilikou Peltasti (Royal Peltasts) - particularly before the nerf when they were skirmishers with great combat stats. These boys were what nightmares were made of, even Romans had to change their loincloths. Needless to say, I was a Seleukid fanboi just because...come on, the stomp potential...

- Have a line of Hypaspistai holding the front and then 2 legions of Royal Peltasts each side
    - Use their skirmisher amount of javelins to kill off any cavalry in concert with archers and skirmisher cav
    - Creep them around once the inevitable pack engagement began
    - Rather than charge have them unload the remainder of their ammo into the back of the main line then charge with elite level combat stats
    - Melt anything your army touches
    - Profit

This equation used to be uncounterable and melt even Rome's mighty armies. The only thing it took longer to kill were actually desert raiders that were lighter, faster and liked to skirmish. Thankfully it was simply a puzzle, snipe the cav then use yours to corral and shepherd.

Those were the days~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12