Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Default Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

BBC | NPR | NYT | MKD.mk | Ekathimerini

Macedonian parliament has ratified constitutional changes that will change the name of the country to the "Republic of North Macedonia." This is the most significant part of the Prespa Agreement with Greece, which will enable Macedonia to apply for and join NATO and the EU without a Greek veto.

The legislation will take effect once Greek parliament in turn ratifies the Prespa Agreement. If Greece approves, this will effectively end the Macedonia name dispute as an active political topic.

The Greek side in this name dispute has been historically unfaithful to international agreements, so it remains to be seen if Greek parliament will ratify the agreement and end the dispute.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

...Did Greece really have enough power to veto a country just because they don't like the name?

Seems absolutely beyond petty.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Macedonia approves constitutional amendment to change country's name to Republic of North Macedonia

And so ends the pettiest dispute in the history of Europe.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

^ This. Good to see. From the outside looking in I find it enormously funny that a country calling itself Greece, Speaking a derivative of Koine Greek with a Capital in Athens and that put an Owl on their EU coin tossed such a hissy fit about a name Demosthenes would have seen buried - is like I said amusing.
    Last edited by conon394; January 12, 2019 at 11:51 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Hopefully this can end the most pressing issue in Greece and they can work on small, insignificant things like fixing their economy.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

After joining the EU and NATO they should totally change the name back to Macedonia hehhehe...

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Let's hope Greece approves this in parliment so the is pretty dispute can finally end.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Akrotatos's Avatar Vicarius

Congratulations in order for the Greek PM Tsipras who will either succeed in alienating millions of Greek Macedonians and also cause who knows how many future conflicts with our neighbors (if it is ratified from Greece) or give the world another reason to hate us and marginalise us if it does not pass in our parliament.

Stellar results as with our economy
    Gems of TWC:

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    News flash but groups like al-Qaeda or Taliban are not Islamist.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Greek Macedonians
    Again the long view historical irony is funny.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I thought raising the incredibly low Greek retirement age would be a good step for the economy, but Tsipras knows this is better i guess
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I thought raising the incredibly low Greek retirement age would be a good step for the economy, but Tsipras knows this is better i guess
    had you not been posting from the interior of your you would have known that the retirement age in Greece is 67, which is greater than the retirement age in Northern Ireland

regarding the topic: Let's get done with this affair for good

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    had you not been posting from the interior of your you would have known that the retirement age in Greece is 67, which is greater than the retirement age in Northern Ireland

regarding the topic: Let's get done with this affair for good
    75% of pensioners retire before 61, retirement at 45 through 65 is allowed. http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014...ly-retirement/
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

If i was Bulgarian president, i would veto Macedonia joining EU&NATO until they change their name back. Or Turkish president can do it for NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by Odenat View Post
    If i was Bulgarian president, i would veto Macedonia joining EU&NATO until they change their name back. Or Turkish president can do it for NATO.
    For what reason and on what basis?

Glad to see that the bilateral diplomatic compromise will come into fruition. To be sincere, I suspect that the people of the Republic of Macedonia grossly overestimate the potential benefits of the country's integration to various international institutions, but what matters the most is that the solving of one of the most absurd geopolitical disputes will deprive the notoriously efficient chauvinist populists of the Balkans of one of their most lucrative pretext: The childish fight over who is the true heir to Macedonia and enjoys the privileged monopoly of exploiting Alexander's III fame. As I had argued in the previous discussion, he conflict may have been totally comical, in economic and territorial terms, but it provided a great opportunity for charlatans to manipulate xenophobic feelings and gradually transform them into political power for themselves. Gruevsky's "Antiquisation" campaign functioned as an invaluable propaganda narrative for his authoritarian and corrupted government, while it allowed many ruthless officials to loot the public treasury, by purchasing with state-funds over-priced statues of Macedonian kings of rather dubious quality and utility. Meanwhile, in Greece, it helped extremist politicians (from retired army officers to the obscurantist Orthodox clergy) to promote their personal careers and even legitimised otherwise marginal far-right formations, including the Neo-Nazis of the Golden Dawn. In any case, there is a nice, informative article from a Greek university professor clarifying the details of Greece's non-conciliatory position, as well as a booklet (by the same author) enumerating and addressing the arguments of the tribalist camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    The Greek side in this name dispute has been historically unfaithful to international agreements, so it remains to be seen if Greek parliament will ratify the agreement and end the dispute.
    Apparently, the ruling coalition disintegrated, as the minor participant, the far-right party of the Independent Greeks, is afraid of the prospect of siding with the controversial, from a national perspective, negotiations. The Minister of the Military resigned from his post and threatened to support neither the vote of confidence for the government nor the Prespes agreement. Fortunately, many lawmakers, including politicians from his party, actually maintained their administrative positions and even promised to defend the "treasonous" deal. Initially, the contradictory behaviour of the Independent Greeks seems quite incomprehensible, but I guess that the conflict of interests explains it. The MPs are anxious to protect their lucrative seats in the Parliament and perhaps even to jump away from the sinking ship of the Independent Greeks, whose chances to succeed in reentering the Parliament are flimsy. On the other hand, their leader probably hopes that the abandonment of his erstwhile allies will increase the fragile popularity of his group, which is mainly based on ultra-conservatives and ardent believers of the chemtrail conspiracy theory. Of course, I am not sure whether my analysis is accurate or not, because the first image of the Minister of the Military I happened to come across depicts him respectfully bowing in front of a dirty beach, while standing on a red carpet, so I have my doubts about the rationality of him and his followers.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    To summarize, the successful conclusion of the dispute is reinforcing the stability of the peninsula, by not only improving the relationship between the two countries, but also by reducing the power of jingoists and undermining the narrative of the far-right, thanks to interrupting polarisation and weakening the influence of "rally against the common enemy" rhetoric.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 14, 2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Last sentence added.

Perhaps now Greece can focus on the real issues plaguing their country, instead of the mythical FYROM threat. If you ask me, Greece is only increasing the chance of actual conflict by constantly badgering FYROM about something so petty. In FYROM's eyes, Greek meddling is actively restraining their economic potential, which is an actual reason to hold resentment for another country. Less mature countries might've reacted to such badgering with much more hostility.

Tangentially off-topic, but why do North Macedonians downplay so much they Bulgar ascendance (at least to outsiders and in the international theater)? Like, Bulgaria was a "great nation" for militaristic types, of course not grand as Alexander, but not small either. Is it simply a continuation of past practices aimed to distance the country from Bulgaria?
    Or is it that the name dispute with Greece had them strengthen their claim to Macedonian continuation in lieu of Bulgar culture?

So, is Greece changing the Macedonian province name to South Macedonia? The NATO and EU card being on the table is extra petty as Greece was allowed back into NATO without a Turkish veto.
    The Armenian Issue

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Tangentially off-topic, but why do North Macedonians downplay so much they Bulgar ascendance (at least to outsiders and in the international theater)? Like, Bulgaria was a "great nation" for militaristic types, of course not grand as Alexander, but not small either. Is it simply a continuation of past practices aimed to distance the country from Bulgaria?
    Or is it that the name dispute with Greece had them strengthen their claim to Macedonian continuation in lieu of Bulgar culture?
    You would've thought Thrakian might be attractive too (imagine the traditional dress for their monument guards, rhomphaioi for the win), but Big Al is one sexy mofo.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Why not renamed itself "Paeonia"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast