Thread: Starpike, Dustonbury, Yelshire, the domains of House Peake

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Starpike, Dustonbury, Yelshire, the domains of House Peake

Starpike

Old, old enough for its foundations to have been replaced numerous times, Starpike enjoys a storied history many noble families cannot resist but envy. The Peakes, one of the founding families of the Reach's noble chivalry, are no strangers to the heavy gaze of envy. They are still counted among the greatest of noble houses, known for their skill and loyalty in equal measure.

Buildings
    T1:
    T2:
    T3:
    T4:
    Economy
    Stripend: 10,000
    Lands: 62,800 (50,000 * 0.98 (1 (base) + -0.02 (sociable)) + 30,000 * 0.23 (0.25 (base) + -0.02 (sociable)) + 30,000 * 0.23 (0.25 (base) + -0.02 (sociable)))
    Military Strength
    Levy of Starpike - 3,000 men
    300 - Heavy Cavalry
    300 - Light Cavalry
    600 - Archers
    600 - Heavy Infantry
    1,200 - Light Infantry

Levy of Dustonbury - 1,000 men
    100 - Heavy Cavalry
    100 - Light Cavalry
    200 - Archers
    200 - Heavy Infantry
    400 - Light Infantry

Levy of Yelshire - 1,000 men
    100 - Heavy Cavalry
    100 - Light Cavalry
    200 - Archers
    200 - Heavy Infantry
    400 - Light Infantry

Levy of Ashford - 1,000 men
    100 - Heavy Cavalry
    100 - Light Cavalry
    200 - Archers
    200 - Heavy Infantry
    400 - Light Infantry

Levy of Graceford - 1,000 men
    100 - Heavy Cavalry
    100 - Light Cavalry
    200 - Archers
    200 - Heavy Infantry
    400 - Light Infantry
    House Peake
    Unwin Peake
    Temperament: Sociable
    Traits: Battle 2, Wealth 2, Charisma 2

Gedmund Peake
    Temperament: Pessimistic
    Traits: Battle 1, Personal Combat 3, Survival 2

Lorimar Peake
    Temperament: Reserved
    Traits: Battle 2, Personal Combat 2, Scout 2

EDDISON PEAKE, Lord of STARPIKE
    - his lady wife, SHELLA GRACEFORD
    - - their children
    - - - ARMEN PEAKE, Lord of STARPIKE
    - - - - his lady wife, OLENNA BUSHY
    - - - - - their children
    - - - - - - UNWIN PEAKE, Lord of STARPIKE, b.87
    - - - - - - - his first wife, JOY ORME, died in childbirth
    - - - - - - - - their children
    - - - - - - - - - EDDISON PEAKE, died in infancy
    - - - - - - - - - YRMA PEAKE, died in childbirth at the age of twelve
    - - - - - - - - - UTHER PEAKE, squired for Lord Redwyne, died in a sailing accident at the age of twelve
    - - - - - - - his second wife, SHIREEN LEYGOOD, died of a winter's chill
    - - - - - - - - - CERYSE PEAKE, died in infancy
    - - - - - - - - - PATRICE PEAKE, died in infancy
    - - - - - - - his third wife, RHAE ASHFORD
    - - - - - - - - - TITUS PEAKE, the heir to Starpike, a squire, b.114
    - - - - - - - - - MYRIELLE PEAKE, a lovely girl, b.119
    - - - - - - LORIMAR PEAKE, b.90
    - - - - - - - his lady wife, MYRANDA APPLETON
    - - - - - - - - - AMAURY PEAKE, a knight, b.108
    - - - - - - - - - ROHANNE PEAKE, an ugly girl, b.116
    - - - - - his bastard son, MERVYN FLOWERS
    - - - GEDMUND PEAKE, known as BATTLE-AXE, b.77
    - - - - his lady wife, ANNARA PEAKE, b.75
    - - - - - their children
    - - - - - - AMBROSE PEAKE, a sworn sword, b.94
    - - - - - - URRATHON PEAKE, a hedge knight, b.100
    - - - - - - LASWELL PEAKE, a sellsword, b.103

Dustonbury

Dustonbury has enjoyed a long history, a history which rivals even venerable Starpike in age and pages of the maesters' histories. However where Starpike's history is of pride and success, Dustonbury bears the taint of treachery and deceit. The stain of its former residents, the fiendish Manderlys, still lingers in the older foundations of the castle's walls. Yet it is this same reminder which drives the Peakes towards future glories.

Yelshire
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; January 17, 2019 at 11:19 AM.

Default Re: Starpike, Dustonbury, Yelshire, the domains of House Peake

Accompanied solely by two men, Domeric Hightower reached Starpike at night. Being instructed by his father, Ser Hobert, the Hightower son knew that the mission sounded more easy than it actually was. Talk to the Lord, ask for a marriage agreement, ensure their allegiance. That was all he got told, but why exactly he didn't knew. Only that it was of importance, as Hobert himself was on his way to Highgarden the next day on. Although somewhat waiting before he rode out himself, Domeric eventually reached the property of House Peake, once claimants to the title of Kings within the Reach before the Gardeners established their rulership until they all perished within the fields of fire and Tyrell overtook.
    Arriving at the gates, he and his company requested entrance, as they wished to speak with Lord Unwin Peake, the Lord of Starpike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dread View Post
    Arriving at the gates, he and his company requested entrance, as they wished to speak with Lord Unwin Peake, the Lord of Starpike.
    Unwin was awake when his steward announced the arrival of his noble guests. He was often one to boast of his devotion to his oathbound duties, outlasting the flame of any candle, but this night had proved a hard one indeed. The air had been cooler, the fires of his heath less bright. He hoped that it was because of an approaching winter, and not the first marker which would see him turned captive of his own failing mind.

"Lord Hightower," he declared with wide arms, though the Lord of Peake made no effort to approach his nightly guest whose face seemed passingly familiar and yet the name, spoken by his steward only passing moments before, he had already forgotten. "Have we the honour of offering you food and rest for your journey to Kingslanding?"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Aquilifer View Post
    Unwin was awake when his steward announced the arrival of his noble guests. He was often one to boast of his devotion to his oathbound duties, outlasting the flame of any candle, but this night had proved a hard one indeed. The air had been cooler, the fires of his heath less bright. He hoped that it was because of an approaching winter, and not the first marker which would see him turned captive of his own failing mind.

"Lord Hightower," he declared with wide arms, though the Lord of Peake made no effort to approach his nightly guest whose face seemed passingly familiar and yet the name, spoken by his steward only passing moments before, he had already forgotten. "Have we the honour of offering you food and rest for your journey to Kingslanding?"
    Somewhat nervous, Domeric bowed, assuming that Lord Peake was more or less tired.
    "Lord Peake, it is an honor to meet you", he started, hoping that he made so far no mistakes, "I came on behalf of my uncle, Lord Ormund Hightower, as he wished me to travel to Starpike for potential talks about marriages and politics. I hope I haven't disturbed you and your household too much and hope that I can stay for the night under your roof."
    In worst case he probably had to find a tavern down the road, but so far Domeric prayed that the Peakes would honor the son of an ancient, noble house as much as his Lord uncle would, when guests were to arrive at Oldtown.

I came on behalf of my uncle, Lord Ormund Hightower, as he wished me to travel to Starpike for potential talks about marriages and politics
    Unwin arched an eye at his visitor's words. It was an unexpected announcement, though one that could not surprise him. The blood of his family was one which carried great prestige to all who married into it. The Hightowers, whose blood now flowed in the dragon princes, were of a worthy standing for such a union. That said, who knew where anyone stood in the years to come.

"Of course, my lord Hightower. We shall retire to my solar. I keep a fire lit at all hours, so it shall be of sufficient warmth." He turned to his steward. "And we shall have your chambers prepared at all haste. A long journey should not be ended on the side of the road."

More than thankful, Domeric would follow the lord, as he was glad that Peake seemed to understand.
    "Thanks, mylord, you don't know how grateful I am", he replied honest, as they went along, slightly shivering as it had been indeed cold outside, "I also bring some news from the capital, so it's best we discuss things in private."

"I also bring some news from the capital, so it's best we discuss things in private."
    Though Starpike was old, older than any stone laid by the dragons in Kingslanding or Dragonstone, it was not dated. The solar Unwin Peake spent his days was no spartan hall that called forth images of northmen huddled close in their warbands for warmth. Instead it bore a roaring flame feasting on the very best of Reach timber, the tongues of yellow gold illuminating tapestries spun by Lysene slaves. And upon the heavy oak table was presented a heavy bounty of meat and fruit, with wine resting in chalices as gaudy as a westerman.

"Marriage and politics then," the lord smiled as he took for himself a thick cut of gammon. "What is it that the Lord of Starpike could do for Oldtown?"

More than amazed Domeric eyed the scenery of the solar, even though within the Hightower itself he had seen similiar property, which his Lord uncle had inherited from his ancestors. It wouldn't surprise him if some of these were aquired by Lord Peake over the Oldtown trade route.
    "Well, Lord Hightower has proposed a potential betrothal between your House and one of of our family members.", he began with the more happier topic, while feeling the wealth within this room, "Your daughter Myrielle would be around a similiar age as his secondborn son Martyn. Though his daughter Bethany would be also a good option for your heir."
    He paused briefly before continiueing nervously.
    "However, I wish to adress the lion within the room, before we continiue on with more joyful topics", he brought out, hoping that it wouldn't darken Lord Unwin's mood, "Viserys I. Targaryen, our King, has perished. There was already a coronation at King's Landing, where Aegon II was crowned. We fear that it might in a conflict between him and Rhaenyra, but so far the fronts are calm.My Lord uncle in Oldtown hopes for a peaceful solution but knows that he would aid the King's call, if it is necessary - after all he and Aegon are family due to the Queen Dowager."

[QUOTE=Lord Dread;15728873]"Your daughter Myrielle would be around a similiar age as his secondborn son Martyn. Though his daughter Bethany would be also a good option for your heir."
    /QUOTE]

In an effort to mask his reaction, and to buy himself a moment of thought, Unwin flung a hefty wedge of his gammon into his mouth. Around his chewing, he offered a raised eyebrow. Marriage. Potential war. It was no great leap to unify the two.

“Dark times when a king dies. Dangerous times. Few places can be safer than the Hightower during such periods.” Maybe that was true, though Peake had never heard it he said. “My Myrielle would be safe there, should war descend. I could agree to that match.”

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Aquilifer View Post

In an effort to mask his reaction, and to buy himself a moment of thought, Unwin flung a hefty wedge of his gammon into his mouth. Around his chewing, he offered a raised eyebrow. Marriage. Potential war. It was no great leap to unify the two.

“Dark times when a king dies. Dangerous times. Few places can be safer than the Hightower during such periods.” Maybe that was true, though Peake had never heard it he said. “My Myrielle would be safe there, should war descend. I could agree to that match.”
    Domeric nodded, seeing the reason behind the Lord of Starpike's thoughts. Oldtown was indeed a safe city, while the Hightower itself stood since ancient times within the middle of the city, build on black-oiled stone, a bulwark, nearly inpenetrable to anyone, who dared to take it. Or so they said - many castles in Westeros claimed to be untakeable until they were conquered at least once in history.
    Yet Domeric would agree that the safety of Oldtown was more preferable than the one of the open castles and fortresses in the middle of the Reach.
    "We all hope that we can negotiate peace between the two factions, but aye, it is one of the safer locations in Westeros, should it come to this", the Hightower agreed friendly, assuming also, that Peake must be very worried about his offspring as it was rumored that the ones of his previous wifes sadly hadn't survived for long - thus making such a choice more reasonable, "We offer in those troublesome times anyone hospitality, as where dragons breathe fire, we have to live with the mess they create. Thus a betrothal between the two can be arranged, while we would care for her as a ward as if she is part of the Hightower family. It's the same trust we put into other Reach houses like Tyrell and Redwyne when it comes to the Lord's sons, so there is no reason why we shouldn't see it the same way."

"We all hope that we can negotiate peace between the two factions, but aye, it is one of the safer locations in Westeros, should it come to this"
    The lord of Starpike offered a broad smile as the tentative betrothal was agreed to. Friends so close to the iron throne were always welcome. Though it was obvious that his benefit of any future agreement would come at a cost sooner rather than later.

“As for the issue of Viserys’ heir,” Unwin began, allowing for another mouthful of salty meat to give him a moment of thought. “I am of the belief, as any true noble of this land should be, that tradition must be upheld. Viserys understood this on his deathbed. He understood that a women, no less one with a bastard for an heir and a villain for a husband, cannot be allowed to sit where the Conqueror and Conciliator sat before.” He raised his eyes to his guest. “Or am I mistaken?”

Domeric nodded, having so far heard that this was the argument of this sudden decision.
    "Indeed it seems so, mylord", he replied, "I have heard that the Princess wished to declare one of her sons heir of Driftmark, which got some of the Velaryons dire punishments as they protested in front of his grace, claiming that this would be the case. Definitly it is an insult, thus worth the punishment one would recieve when those accusations are to be made about one potential heir to the Iron Throne,
    but if it is the truth that Rhaenyra's children have another father... it would be an affront to the kingdom by certain, no doubt!"

Definitly it is an insult, thus worth the punishment one would recieve when those accusations are to be made about one potential heir to the Iron Throne, but if it is the truth that Rhaenyra's children have another father... it would be an affront to the kingdom by certain, no doubt!"
    He nodded in agreement with the response to his answer. It was oft the Reach, center of chivalric virtue and the line of the Greenhand, which was called upon to act as exemplar for the rest of the realm. That a woman who desired the throne could be so brazen as to ignore and spit on the traditions of her subjects was beyond the pale. It was with good reason that it was Viserys' son who inherited his kingdom, and not the daughter who was as like to rule as Maegor before.

"Then I will be so brazen as to command you to inform your family of what we have discussed, and my thoughts on them." Unwin was all smiles. "Should Hightower have need of Starpike's voice, Lord Ormund will have it." At a price, he did not say. Would not say. It was unbecoming of a nobleman of the Reach to haggle and barter like a fishwife. "And my daughter will be with you at a time as befits the custom of betrothal." He glanced down at his finished plate. "But now I must admit that the need for sleep overcomes my hospitality. If you will forgive me, I will have my steward see you to your chambers."

Domeric solely nodded and followed the steward, as he felt like he made progress today indeed. Maybe that might earn him some respect within his family as well.