Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Harbor, Seat of House Manderly

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default White Harbor, Seat of House Manderly

White Harbor
    Seat of house Manderly

WIPZ

Default Re: White Harbor, Seat of House Manderly

Lord Manderly is summoned to Winterfell by Lord Cregan Stark.

It took a dozens stops to even get there. The seat of house Hardying, Harvale, The Corbray's keep of Heart's Home, Hersy's New Keep and finally a rest in the Sisters, where he had to feast with the Lord's webbed-fingered daughters, which was pretty weird to start with, but got weirder when he only complained about Lord Sunderland and one served him some strange sea centipede for the prince to eat. All in all, pretty disgusting. Joffrey hoped that White Harbor had some kind of baths, because he wanted to remove the smell of fish and worse from his skin. Fortunately, the shape of Manderly's seat was already at hand. As a salute, the prince pressed heels and Tyraxes shrieked, probably awaking all the guardsmen in the Wolf's Den and the New Castle both.

Oh gods, I seriously hope they have a bath.

He had heard much about Northmen, not all good, but at least Manderly worshipped the right gods, had knights and some semblance of civilization. And the maester had lectured him about how the Conciliator wished to marry a daughter of his to a Lord Manderly; he didn't remember how that ended. Anyway, let's do what mother commanded... He cracked the whip and flew closer to the New Castle.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

The men stationed on the old fort atop Seal Rock were the first to spot the dragon on the horizon. They loaded their ballista and spitfires, aimed their crossbows and took a collective gasp. Their commander began ringing the emergency bells located on Seal Rock and bellow “DRAGON!” as powerfully as his lungs would allow. The city watch (at least those who were on duty and prepared for such an eventuality) rushed for the walls, and other defensive positions, they would not allow 50,000 souls to burn on some Targaryens whim.

From his vantage point Joffrey could see the city quite starkly as he approached, thick curtain walls surrounded the place, with perfectly white buildings filling the streets. The entire city flowed upward from the harbor, culminating with the New Castle, which sat atop the hill. Manderly took the time to dress himself, in a comfortable mix of chain mail and padding, he wouldn’t dawn his old plate for anything less than the black dread himself busting down his gates. His knightly personal guard however were more properly outfitted.

Guards lined the walls of the New Castle as the dragon approached, the pale merman of Manderly hanging proudly from each of the keep’s white towers, a few men directing the beast to land on the large white stone pathway leading up toward the New Castle. To an architect’s eye the New Castle seemed out of place here, whereas both the Wolf’s Den and Seal Rock were clearly stout designs of Firstmen make the New Castle was.. well it looked like someone had taken a castle from the reach and dropped it in the bleak expanse of the North. A truly trained and expiernced eye would notice the castle bore many similarities to the seat Dustonbury in the south, from where the Manderly house once fled.

The Wolf’s Den was filled with life as well, Torrhen Manderly had been granted control of the “keep” after he’d wed, and had begun the long and difficult process of turning a keep turned prison, back into a keep. They did still keep prisoners in the bowels of the place, but the top levels had become living accommodations for Torrhen and his last wife. The keep was an ancient and honestly ugly thing, clearly of firstmen design, whereas the New Castle had been designed after Manderly’s old seat in the south, this one was made for practicality rather than form. Instead of preparing for war, Torrhen and his young Karstark wife sat in the godswood. The tree there was massive, gnarled from years of neglect. The face the weirwood bore was nothing less than a twisted grimace, blood red sap dripped from its eyes as if the Old Gods themselves wept for what came next.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 22, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

"Alright"

Said Joffrey to himself.

"They look a bit alarmed"

He chuckled and cracked the whip, leading Tyraxes downwards. He looked at the city from above, it wasn't that bad. It looked like a nice city. They would definetely have some baths. The boy wrapped himself in his fur-lined teal cloak, the fabric adorned with embroidered scales, like those on the tail of the Velaryon's seahorse. He wore a black doublet and long riding boots. All that was only apparent to the guardsmen when he landed on the indicated spot and unmounted. He had a mop of brown hair and a pug-like nose, he looked amiable and the prince smiles to the Manderly men nearby. He places both hands around his mouth, as to make himself be heard.

"Hey! Ho! I'm Joffrey Velaryon, I come on behalf of my mother, Queen Rhaenyra, may I see Lord Manderly? And I need a bath!"

His dragon, Tyraxes, coiled on the ground, a wing over the prince, protective. The boy looked nervous, one never knows what could happen and he was but a boy.

A number of men stood nearby, giving the dragon a wide enough birth, surly the men they had here could take the dragon.. but no man wanted to be the first to die in such an attempt. They gestured for the Targaryen to follow them up the path toward Lord Manderly’s keep. “Lord Manderly ain’t coming out here, but you’re welcome to enter my lord’s keep, as honored guest.” The guardsmen replies, keeping a tight grip on his weapon in this tense situation.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 22, 2019 at 07:35 AM.

"Oh"

Said the prince.

"Can you have a stable emptied for Tyraxes? I don't wanna have him flying around..."

He would eat someone's cattle and they would later complain to Manderly and...

"Once he's tied up and fed I will see Lord Manderly, don't worry"

The prince smiled kindly.

The man nodded wordlessly and disappeared for some time. When he returned a large barrel of pickled fish was brought forward with him, and a goat terrified by the scent and sight of the scaled beast. Space was cleared out in a nearby stable outside new castle but before the inhabited part of the city, the individual pens were far too small for a dragon of any size, but the common space provided enough room for a youth like Tyraxes. “I can’t rightfully say I know what dragons eat.” The guardsmen said, scratching his head. “But, even with Winter coming we can spare some of our stockpiles.” The prince had the impression that White Harbor would have been more generous if the Maester’s weren’t calling for such a long and bitter winter. “The creature best stay behaved, anything foul it gets up to will be reported to my Lord.” The last thing the guard needed was a rampage on their hands, even if they killed the thing they’d have to contend with some angry Targaryens ever after.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 22, 2019 at 08:28 AM.

"Oh, they eat meat. Charred meat, actually"

The prince himself placed an iron fetter around Tyraxes' hind leg.

"Hush, hush, my friend"

Joff whispered to the dragon.

"I will be back soon. Don't do anything bad, behave, will you?"

The prince caressed the dragon in a prefered spot, behind one of the head's horns. It rumbled with pleasure.

"Eat this goat, will you?"

Joff ordered the goat to be sacrificed and the dragon seemed content eating the animal, once it burned it with his yellow flames.

"Alright. We're done. But seriously, I need a bath before seeing Lord Manderly"

“Follow me, my lord.” The guard said, as he led the prince up the broad pathway toward the New Castle. The keep was large, quite spacious actually, though it seemed more visually appealing than defensible. The guard led the young Targaryen under the main gateway, and then took a sharp left, guiding the boy into a rotund tower and down a narrow stairwell. Eventually they reached their destination, a shallow white stone room illuminated by torchlight. There was a ring of dry ground around the edges of the room, but the rest of the floor was taken up by a relatively large pool. A beautifully wrought statue of the merman of manderly sitting proudly in the center, wielding its mighty trident, and tail half submerged beneath the water. “You can wash up here, when you’re done it’ll take you to Lord Manderly.” The guard left, standing just outside the bath’s door, allowing the boy to tend to his bussiness.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; January 22, 2019 at 08:47 AM.

He spent an hour scrubbing his skin. Joff still remembered one of the Lord's half-fish daughters stole a kiss from him; she smelled of codfish. It was utterly disgusting. But, now the water was washing away the dirt, the smell and the memories. He did need a bath, too many days at the dragon's back, uncomfortable as it was. Finally, he emerged from the bathroom, wearing the second doublet he brought in the saddlebag, a cut-through black velvet robe, revealing the white linen shirt below. His belt was golden and he wore soft leather shoes, tied at the ankle so the long point wouldn't disturb him. He had combed his brown hair and looked every inch a prince, even if a singularly good-natured and boyish one. Still, he took his task very seriously. Once led before Lord Manderly he bows slightly.

"Lord Manderly"

The Prince is brought into the Merman’s court once prepared, he finds it a cavernous space, large and constructed of expertly crafted wooden panels seamlessly pieced together despite their age. The floor is paint to appear as dark northern seaweed with crabs and starfish moving about them, and the quality of the craft gives the impression that the floor was in motion. The walls depicted life like sharks and dolphins as if suspended in the water, andtoward the ceiling the surface, one half ravaged by storm and the other calm. The room was filled with knights and courtiers, curious as to how their lord would react.

For his part, Lord Manderly sat on a large, cushioned throne. The seat was large enough to fit two people abreast. The arms of the chair were wooden and decorated in many carefully carved sea creatures. The back of the throne was outlined by a wooden carved merman and a merwoman, meeting for a kiss over the center of the throne. The lord pulled on his grey fleck beard of gold deep in thought, beside him stood a younger man that would appear his spitting image if Desmond were a couple decades younger.

The lord waved and bread and salt were brought to the Prince. “Prince Joffrey, as long as you are beneath this roof you have my protection.” He inhaled deeply, and leaned back in his throne, finger tracing one of the carved figures on the armrest of his throne. “What has brought a dragonrider and a Prince of Dragonstone to the edge of the world?” He hesitates to call him a Velaryon. “I hope you haven’t brought your southron war with you?”

Joffrey took bread and salt, as it was customary. Manderly had such an impresive hall. He would tell mom to redecorate the Stone Drum to something like that. But, High Tide was more splendid, so his grandfather must be far great than this Merman, or so did the young prince think while looking at the ostentatious decor.

"Thanks, my Lord"

He sounds juvenile, but looked very determined, bold. He produced a letter from the doublet, that he handed to a retainer. The message was clear, to join the Blacks, to march for Rhaenyra and claim her birthright, while appealing to the Northerners' honor and their oaths to her while Princess of Dragonstone.

"Alas, I have. As you can see with your own eyes. I wished to make a necessary stop before proceeding to Winterfell. My mother, the Queen, has sent me forth to tell the North, and its lords, that it's time oaths are fulfilled. Your lordship and your own liege, Stark, once swore fealty to her, and now, she wishes to call your banners. There is only one rightful ruler in the Seven Kingdoms, and her name is Rhaenyra"

“My grandfather Theomore was to marry a Targaryen once, Vissera was the girl’s name, but she died drunk having fallen from her horse.” Lord Manderly mused, as his retainer brought the letter to him, that mishap had put an end to Manderly ambition in acquiring royal blood. “And my father once supported Rhaenys at the great Council of one hundred and one, as well. So I would be ill served in saying a woman cannot inherit the Iron Throne.” He exhaled deeply. “Oaths are a sacred bond, and I do not take my oath to your mother lightly.” Desmond could at least be certain she was that, a queen in time perhaps, but these were her children whoever else might have sired them. “But, the King claims his father had a last minute change of heart, or so rumors hold.” He almost said that his oaths to Starks were beyond those to any other individual, but the loyalty of house Manderly likely went without saying, even in the south.

"Pah. And if it's a marriage you want... well, I'm unwed"

Said Joffrey.

"My grandfather would never do that. I'm his grandson, I should know, better than anyone!"

The prince shrugs.

"I know what he wanted, he was my blood, and I spent twice as many days with him than any other among my siblings. He doted us, oft than not we were lavished by gifts and titles. My grandfather wanted my mother as his sole heiress and her children to rule after her"

He placed both hands on hips.

"His change of heart... well, that's just a forgery, my half-uncle is a little full of , for all I care. Their grandfather is a too, always bossing around like he was Aegon the Conqueror. Alicent is even worse, always wearing those green gowns, she should change her wardrobe, Seven's sakes"

Joffrey chuckled.

"What matters here, my Lord, is that you swore to follow my mother, and I believe you are a smart man: your lordship cannot fall for those baseborn lies Egg---I mean 'Aegon' is spreading from his spikey chair. My mother's chair, anyway"

He was certainly bold of tongue and rather uncouth.
    Last edited by Oznerol; January 22, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

The boys outburst illicited mumurs and chuckles from the merman’s court, even Desmond’s heir seemed to be holding back a chuckle behind a stoic facade. But a single raised hand from Manderly ended that. “Yes.. well.. you are quite young to think of marriage, but surly this is something I can discuss with your mother, or good King Daemon.” This illicited a glare from his eldest daughter in the crowd of courtiers, a slender blonde, with a gaudy line of dyed green hair. “As to the King’s words I find it highly dubious that our late sovereign would change his mind at the last moment, after.. all the effort he went to in order to ensure your mother took the throne.” The elder lord shuffled in his seat uncomfortable, despite the apparent comfort the throne seemed to offer. “As to the Hightowers, I assure you they are far from “baseborn”, they’ve an ancient pedigree with blood of the Gardener Kings of old.. the same blood my own house claims.” He allowed the last words to linger in the air, the crowd silent. “But, Alicent and her father have marred that lineage, they’ve clearly put aside honor for a chance to grasp at the throne.” He made a tent of his fingers before his own face. “But, all the same many men will fight for Aegon, believing him the rightful King..” Lannisters, Hightowers, and rumors held that a Baratheon was to be wed to Aegon’s brother.

"Prince-consort Daemon!"

Yelled Joffrey.

"He's no king, just happens to be my mother's husband. That's it"

He seemed slightly surly over the fact.

"She would gladly consent to this match, you know, my lord?"

Joff was again cocky and happy, from the looks of it. He even winked at Manderly's daughter.

"By the way, I'm glad you can see my point, Lord Manderly. It seems your fame wasn't for naught!"

Joff scratched his chin.

"And... hummm... eh, right, maesters say you come from the Reach. I forgot that"

He frowns.

"Anyway. I don't think Northmen are ever scared of a fight, aren't they? And what's a knight good for but fighting? Aren't you Manderlys the only annointed knights of the North? I expect much from you!"

Once again the Merman’s court were set to whispering, until the lord once again silenced them with raised hand. Manderly thought a moment, eyeing the young boy, it was surly a slight to send a child to speak to the Northmen if she needed their forces she could have gone to the trouble of sending her eldest at the very least. “Your offer of ties by marriage is flattering.” Even if he couldn’t place his trust in such a matter solely with a boy. “An oath is an oath, when the Stranger takes us our honor is all we have left, I hope your father taught you that before his untimely passing.” He admitted with a sigh. “Nor can I deny that Aegon’s plots are thinly veiled, at best.” He waved his hand dismissively. “But, my oath to Lord Stark must come first, I will not march against him in this war.” Desmond stood, still strong still able, despite his age “You have my roof for the night, I will send a raven to Lord Stark immediately informing him that you will be heading north. It is still a long journey to Winterfell and you will want your strength.” Such a boy should not be journeying like this alone.

"I will swear to marry your daughter over iron, in your sept, before the goods, if you need any assurance"

Said Joffrey.

"A full-blown betrothal before the Gods, shouldn't that be good enough?"

Mother will just be glad I found a wife. And a pretty one, byt the looks of it. He didn't quite know what he should do with a wife, he had only heard tales and rumors, but he guessed it would be better to have one than not.

"My father taught me many things! Honor among them!"

It was a lie, but hiding the truth like that never hurt anyone.

"I thank you for everything, Lord Manderly. Your hospitality is worth the North's reputation"

He bows again.

Manderly nodded, stepping down from the dias in which his throne sat. “You may swear such an oath in the snowy sept, if you desire the gods to witness you. It is not so large as the Starry sept in oldtown, but I dare say it is the second most magnificent sept in all the kingdoms.” Perhaps that was a stretch, but it certainly had few rivals. Manderly looked toward the crowd for his daughter, but it seemed that she had slipped out at some point. “You need not wed unless your mother’s throne is secured, of course.” If her throne wasn’t secured Joffrey would be dead.. or worse, a bastard that Manderly would never see taint his house’s line. Manderly looked down on the boy with kind eyes, the first he’d given Joff in their dealings. “It’s good that Laenor imparted something to you. A boy should have a father to teach him such things, so one day he can become a man.” His words were honest, for though he’d heard rumors of their suspected.. origin, it would be good if words if not blood tied them to the Velaryon. “Never let it be said that the house manderly would close it’s door on those in need. The north remembers little prince.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast