Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Redesign of Curial Awards

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default [Discussion] Redesign of Curial Awards

Divus, Opifex, Novus and Phalera are all awarded for 'distinguished' and 'exceptional' contributions to the site, but looking over the awards recently I personally felt that the designs, while good, just didn't seem to match the extraordinary achievements of these awards. I decided I'd have a crack at coming up with some new ones so with the help of the Content Artists, I've come up with a few redesigns.

Below on the left are the old designs with my proposed designs on the right. I am obviously very open to suggestions and feedback, especially regarding the Opifex design as I just didn't know what to do with it, which is why it seems a bit plain compared to the others. Obviously if you're happy with the current designs that's fine too. Thanks in advance!

"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE

Default Re: [Discussion] Redesign of Curial Awards

Thanks for your initiative mate
    The new Divus is exceptional, Novus too. I'm not much into the other two though. I kinda like the old Opifex and Phalera designs.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

Is the massively increased size of Phalera & Novus supposed to suggest they are more important than Divus & Opifex?

1) Opifex is downsized
    2) There's an arrow in it
    3) Novus & Phalera looks gigantic now
    4) A bird for Novus?

I prefer the old Opifex, I don't mind the new Divus (but it's tiny, just like Opifex in comparison to the new Phalera). I prefer the old Phalera. The new novus isn't bad but it's gigantic (almost as big as new Phalera)
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Not an art critic so I can't add any constructive comments like z3n, but I enjoy your visual work greatly Katsumoto. Quite frankly, I'd pay good money to have you redesign the whole site

I really like your designs but I would keep Python's God and Phalera but your beautiful designs could be put to good use somewhere.
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Is the massively increased size of Phalera & Novus supposed to suggest they are more important than Divus & Opifex?
    No, the sizes aren't final.

1) Opifex is downsized
    2) There's an arrow in it
    3) Novus & Phalera looks gigantic now
    4) A bird for Novus?

I prefer the old Opifex, I don't mind the new Divus (but it's tiny, just like Opifex in comparison to the new Phalera). I prefer the old Phalera. The new novus isn't bad but it's gigantic (almost as big as new Phalera)
    1) Just seems smaller due to the arrow taking up the limited space, as I said I'm open to suggestions here. I can use the current Opifex award as well but it could use a touch up in any case as it's a bit jagged in places
    2) Seemed like a nice touch
    3) Again can be adjusted
    4) It's an eagle, which the TWC logo also uses - as the award is for service as a staff member the eagle and chevron motif seemed appropriate
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

For Opifex, I'd go for something more "classic", like below f.e.

For the Phalera, have you considered to use a bust instead of an icon?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Yeah I like that Lifth. If people want to keep some of the current designs I made a couple of versions of Phalera and Opifex based on those:

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Why not keep the Divus and the Novus you made as both are unique and like you said I also like what Lifth did.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Both Lifth's and Katsumot's latest versions looking good

z3n's Avatar State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Yeah I like that Lifth. If people want to keep some of the current designs I made a couple of versions of Phalera and Opifex based on those:

I hate to be that guy, but the yellow is too gaudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    For Opifex, I'd go for something more "classic", like below f.e.

For the Phalera, have you considered to use a bust instead of an icon?

Interesting take on it.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

I reckon I'll propose the awards separately, as Divus and Novus generally seem to have received positive responses but Opifex and Phalera could use more discussion. That way people can vote for the ones they like individually.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Separate proposals would be best.

My opinion:

Divus looks good though it does not convey it's purpose when looking at it. Maybe an image of the statue of Zeus

Novus looks like the Allied logo from Red Alert or something out of Starship Troopers. Horrible, scrap it.

Opifex should not be changed imho. The current one is perfect. Gold Opifex is too unclear and hard to make out.

Phalera looks very good, especially the Vitruvian Man Phalera, but would become impossible to make out when shrunk to its actual size. Maybe an increase in contour thickness or intensity inside the medal so it doesn't become a blank yellow shield when implemented.

Where is the Loincloth, that's by far the worst looking of the current medals
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; January 12, 2019 at 06:07 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I reckon I'll propose the awards separately, as Divus and Novus generally seem to have received positive responses but Opifex and Phalera could use more discussion. That way people can vote for the ones they like individually.
    That'd be better

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

The Novus doesn't necessary need to be scrapped. By just using another symbol for the bird, that could do the trick. Kats, have you tried to use another one such as below for example (simple and so, shouldn't create any issue when reduced)?

For the Opifex, try to give a kind of bronze colour/texture to the actual one, not too dark but not to bright either. The idea would be to make it more shiny while keeping its general and current aspect, like it has been polished if you like (hope I'm clear).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 13, 2019 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typos
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I like the Divus and Phalera. I'm not a fan of astrolabes for Opifex in general though.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post

Novus looks like the Allied logo from Red Alert or something out of Starship Troopers. Horrible, scrap it.
    same here

as above
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I'll echo Flinn and Settra here. I like the Phalera but not much a fan of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    as above
    So below

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I like the new designs.

It would be hard to improve on the current Opifex design, in my view, but it looks like you're on track to improve it nevetheless.

It's helpful to hear that the sizes aren't final. Making the new Novus smaller, as suggested above, sounds good to me.

For the Novus, I wonder if the eagle (either the red one or one of the designs Lifthrasir suggested) could be smaller, inside an inner circle. This would be quite similar to the new Divus design, or an image embossed on a shield.

I agree that a new Loincloth design would be good, if possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast