Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Eyrie

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: The Eyrie

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    Some weeks later, with news coming from King's Landing about the new monarch that was installed, Lady Arryn once again called Royce and Corbray to the Eyrie. They had much to discuss, considering the Kingdoms appeared to be on the verge of war. The banners had been called, but it would take some time still before the levies were gathered. Time that could be used to deliberate. Rhaenyra had not yet let her intentions be known, but for those who knew her, or even of her, it was clear that she would not take defeat so easily. As much as she was controversial, the Arryn blood in her veins and the choice of the old King made her the only person who should hold the Iron Throne in Jeyne's eyes.
    Lord Corbray comes to the Eyrie within a few days, taking the main road right up to the castle that loomed over the valleys. He had read the very same news that Lady Jeyne spoke of. His bones shuddered at the thought of a violent war, unseen, since the days of Aegon's Conquests and the three great dragons the descended upon the Seven Kingdoms nor the cruel reign of Maegor that saw rivers run with blood from the Faith Militant. Jaehaerys and Viserys had avoided such wars, but it sounded like this confrontation was unavoidable.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Lord Royce would soon make the journey up to meet with the Lady Arryn. Ander thought he knew what was to come now the news from the capital being what it is.

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

The men were seated at an impromtu war council together with some of the more experienced knights and commanders of the Vale. The Lady Arryn was the last to enter, and took her seat at the head of the long table. "Thank you for coming at such short notice, my Lords and Sers," she began. "I assume you all have read the letter from the capital, and understand its implications. Rhaenyra's crown was stolen by her brother, undoubtedly fuelled by Hightower greed. The realm will soon see a clash of Dragons, the likes of which we haven't seen in a hundred years, and as much as peace has been beneficial for our beautiful Vale, it now seems that the time for diplomacy is over. Honor demands that we support Rhaenyra as she retakes what has been stolen from her in such cowardly fashion. I have sent out riders to inform the vassals that they must raise their banners, but have so far held off on openly declaring for the Queen. However, I am sure that the Greens that now hold King's Landing will understand who we fight for. We must formulate a plan to both defend our own lands, and strike at the Pretender."
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

The Lady raised an eyebrow. She would not deign to pick up the parchment, but she remembered the letter quite well. "You will behave yourself in these halls, Ser," she said sternly. "You will remember your place and regain your composure, or I will have you removed from my presence. Now, my good Ser, this piece of that you have so elegantly returned to me confers High Lordship to House Waxley. I understand, from your heated arrival, that you do not agree with this decision. However, it is not one that is yours to make." She paused for a moment, turning to a map of the Vale that was laid out on the Solar's desk. "As the Knight of Ninestars is valued greatly, however, I shall give you some of my time to explain my decision. As you must know, the Eyrie has the allegiance of many a noble. I have decided to instate House Waxley as your direct Lord, as they are the single most powerful vassal in your High Lordship, and in the interest of alleviating some strain on the administrative system of the Vale, it was in my best interests to centralise some of the considerable power that the southern Vale holds." She turned around again, facing Templeton. "Now, normally I would ask you to consult with your High Lord before turning to me, but since the situation is exceptional, I will allow you to speak your piece on the matter. Why do you seem to be so adverse to the idea of serving under House Waxley? They have proven to be honorable and loyal, and I believe they will be excellent High Lords."
    Harrold struggles to contain his anger but manages to, for the sake of courtesy.

"I apologize milady, but you have to understand that this is insulting to me and my family." He breathes and continues "I understand little of administrative issues and I care even less about'em. But there is something I do understand: I swore an oath to you and to House Arryn, as did my father and 'is father before 'im. I did not kneel in front of Waxley and I sincerely rather rot than do that."

The Knight of Ninestars looks directly into his liege's eyes

"I propose a compromise. I am one of the finest swords of the Realm, I am of no use to the Eyre under Waxley's command. I ask to serve under you, directly. Bloody Waxley can still keep his bloody High Lordship, but I will pay my tax and raise my levy only for you and the Arryns".

Jeyne mulled Templeton's words over for a moment. He was right, she supposed. Good swords would be of great use to her in the coming months, and having her personal attack dog didn't seem like a bad idea. As long as she could keep him facing the right way. "Very well, Ser. I see that you are truly committed to my House. Commendable. Ninestars shall remain my direct vassal, and I am honored to have your oath. It would seem that war is on our doorstep, and your skill with a blade is well-known throughout the Vale. You may consider yourself a part of my war council, Ser Templeton."

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Ander considers the Arryn's words, "My Lady I notice none of the great houses of the Vale are present. To you intend to call on the full might of the Vale or just that of the Eyrie?" He suspected some of the Lords of the Vale would not be happy with the choice to get involved on Rhenyra's side, but none were present to voice their concerns.

Jeyne nodded to Ander. "I fully intend to call on every Valeman with a sword, and have instructed riders to visit every High Lord. However, travel and muster takes time, and so far we have not seen any turn up. I understand that not all of my subjects will honor my call to arms, but I expect the majority of my host to assemble within the month. Those who refuse to lend me their strength, or worse, declare for Aegon, we will deal with later. With news of winter approaching, we have only little time to cross the Mountains of the Moon in strength."

Jeyne mulled Templeton's words over for a moment. He was right, she supposed. Good swords would be of great use to her in the coming months, and having her personal attack dog didn't seem like a bad idea. As long as she could keep him facing the right way. "Very well, Ser. I see that you are truly committed to my House. Commendable. Ninestars shall remain my direct vassal, and I am honored to have your oath. It would seem that war is on our doorstep, and your skill with a blade is well-known throughout the Vale. You may consider yourself a part of my war council, Ser Templeton."
    The Knight of Ninestars bows his head in respect.

"I thank ye milady. I shall now return to Ninestars and gather my levy, if that is your command."

War was coming and now that the matter of whom he served was concluded successfully, Harrold could really focus on incoming conflict.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Jeyne nodded to Ander. "I fully intend to call on every Valeman with a sword, and have instructed riders to visit every High Lord. However, travel and muster takes time, and so far we have not seen any turn up. I understand that not all of my subjects will honor my call to arms, but I expect the majority of my host to assemble within the month. Those who refuse to lend me their strength, or worse, declare for Aegon, we will deal with later. With news of winter approaching, we have only little time to cross the Mountains of the Moon in strength."
    It would wise to see what the Riverlands plan to do, Lady Paramount.

Lord Corbray speaks up, looking at Jeyne.

If the Riverlands turns to support the usurper, then we will be walking straight into a battlefield that awaits us. It would be wiser that we see if Lord Velaryon can transport the army from Gulltown to the Crackclaw Point. The Bloody Gate is easier to defend than to issue forth a host from if the Riverlords side with the pretender upon the throne.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

A raven arrives to the Eyrie.

Cousin mine,

Lady Arryn, I wish to personally address you on the matter of succession. We are women, we know which challenges do we face. My father always supported your rule, we were always close, in kindred and spirit. My Lady, if the Vale does stand with me, you shall be properly rewarded, or if you have some demand, be free to ask as much from me. I am not a fool to take loyalty for granted, thus, my Lady, I send this short letter, hoping your heart will stay true to my cause.

In the Light of the Seven,

Rhaenyra, First of Her Name, etc

(signed and sealed. The seal is the traditional Targaryen heraldry quartered with that of Arryn and Velaryon)

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    It would wise to see what the Riverlands plan to do, Lady Paramount.

Lord Corbray speaks up, looking at Jeyne.

If the Riverlands turns to support the usurper, then we will be walking straight into a battlefield that awaits us. It would be wiser that we see if Lord Velaryon can transport the army from Gulltown to the Crackclaw Point. The Bloody Gate is easier to defend than to issue forth a host from if the Riverlords side with the pretender upon the throne.
    "A wise notion, my Lord. It shall be so; we shall march our banners to Gulltown in force, leaving the Bloody Gate with a garrison as strong as it can muster. The Master of Ships will surely have the capability to transport our men at arms, as long as we are not beset by dragons while at sea."

Lady Arryn:

The Seven indeed know he is but an usurper, unfitting to wear the crown of my forebear and sit in my throne. The Velaryons sails will arrive to Gulltown in little time. I hope your swords will be ready by the time they reach your ladyship's lands, for the Gullet must remain closed as long as possible. It's a sensible choice to cross the Narrow Sea, instead of traversing the potentially hostile lands of the Riverlands, which haven't still declared for our rightful cause. I will happily look forward our joyful reunion, as sisters in arms.

In the Light of the Seven,

Rhaenyra, First of Her Name, etc

A shriek breaks morning atop the Eyrie and the beat of leathern wings can be heard before a roost could even awake itself. A shadow crossed the fortress from side to side and circled it seven times, as to make its presence known. Finally, the beast landed on the garden, near a statue of weeping Alyssa. It was a thriving lizard, a young and nimble dragon, a reddish, copper-like mount. Atop the tall saddle, still chained, was sitting a young boy, of three-and-ten, wrapped in a teal cloak lined with ermine and wearing half armor and leathern robes. Prince Lucerys, secondborn son to Rhaenyra and Laenor Velaryon. He unchained himself and unmounted gracefully.

The dragon, watched apprehensively by the guardsmen on the Eyrie's defenses, allowed it to land. When it did, however, it was faced with tens of archers, arrows notched in their bows. As the Prince dismounted, the Lady Jeyne stepped forward from her contingent of would-be dragonslayers. "Prince Lucerys, blood of my blood," she declared. "Be welcome in my halls. You will forgive my caution, but the last time a dragonrider gained entry to the Eyrie without going through the Gates of the Moon, it was to deliver a threat." She took some steps closer, admiring the dragon. "I can understand why the creature inspired such awe in the last King of Mountain and Vale," she noted. "If it requires any special care, please instruct my guard about how to approach it. We will have refreshments ready for you in my solar, afterwards."

"No offense taken, my lady cousin. I didn't know if you'd be already at the Gates of the Moon, but I guess winter hasn't still reached this south"

Said Luke. He was a young boy with a mop of brown hair and sharp features, thin like a stick, but nimble.

"Just leave a recently sacrified sheep nearby, he will likely enjoy the meal"

He felt sorry about the garden, for surely the dragon would lay waste some part of it to coil and sleep.

"You probably guessed I come on behalf of my mother, to act as liason between both of you, Lady Arryn"

Jeyne nodded. A sheep was doable, if that was what it took to save the Eyrie from burning down from the inside. "We are still waiting for some of our host to assemble here, but will be marching on Gulltown shortly," she informed the young royal. "You and your mount are of course quite welcome to accompany us," she continued, glancing at the dragon again. It wasn't quite as mighty as some of the older beasts, if the tales had to be believed, but it would certainly instil some fear in all but the most hardened veterans. Being boiled alive in your armor sounds like a terrible way to leave this world, after all. "Whether you fancy yourself to be a soldier or a messenger, I do not know, but you are welcome to attend my war council either way."

"My grandsire has assamlbled his sails, he will be at Gulltown in little time, or so he hopes"

Lord Corlys would have to set sail to war once more, despite his truly advanced age.

"I will attend, it won't do any harm if I do, anyway"

He blushed slightly.

"Thanks, my lady"

(Technically the troops haven't arrived yet, but I won't be able to RP when they actually get here, so I'll just post now).

The Knight of Ninestars and his levy arrive at the Eyre, as commanded. Templeton goes to meet with Lady Arryn and to ask to join her war council.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12