Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Eyrie

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

Default The Eyrie

The impregnable Eyrie is the seat of House Arryn. Rumored to have never once fallen, it was once the seat of kings. During Aegon's Conquest, however, Queen Visenya Targaryen circumvented all of the Eyrie's defenses on her dragon Vhagar. Although she came in peace, it was clear that the threat she posed was real. Young Ronnel Arryn bent the knee, in awe of the Dragon that had arrived.

Court
    Main characters
    Lady Jeyne Arryn
    The Maiden of the Vale
    Full Name: Jeyne Arryn
    Marital Status: Unwed
    Children: None
    Traits (6 points): +2 charisma, +2 assassin, +1 survival, +1 personal combat. After temperament: +3 charisma, +2 assassin, +1 survival
    Temperament:
    Amiable: This character is a pleasant person who tries very hard to get along with everyone s/he meets. Indeed, perhaps too hard, at that...they also tend to excessively seek validation from others, and at worst can be described as clingy ticks. +1 Charisma, -1 to duel rolls.

Jeyne Arryn is the Lady of the Vale at the dawn of the Dance. At three years old, she ascended to Ladyship when her father and brothers were captured and subsequently murdered by Clansmen from the mountains. Knowledge of the event was largely kept from her through her youth, instead enjoying a normal maiden's education where she learned the way of manners and words. She was introduced to the art of killing when she took up hunting at fifteen, but found that her proficiency in diplomacy overshadowed her ability with a blade. On her sixteenth nameday, her regent was formally dismissed and the young Lady of the Eyrie assumed control of her lands. It did not take long before the Vale became host to a bloody feud, instigated by Jeyne's cousin Arnold Arryn. Arnold, claiming that a woman was unfit to lead the Vale, sought to depose the young Lady Jeyne. A short but intense war left Arnold captured, and several Vale houses mourning for their sons. Arnold was released on the condition that he relinquish his claim. He would break his promise years later, pressing his claim once more. Through diplomacy, Arnold and his closest companions were captured rather quickly. Having run out of patience with her cousin, Jeyne had him imprisoned in a sky cell to live out his days. A period of peace followed in the Vale, until rumors of Viserys I's death reached the Mountains of the Moon.

Her refusal to marry even the most noble of suitors has led some to believe her to be a sexual deviant, but accusations have never been brought to her, her courtiers and vassals remaining mute on the situation. However, the issue of inheritance is becoming more pressing as she approaches the end of her fertile years.

Ser Joffrey Arryn
    Knight of the Bloody Gate
    Full Name: Joffrey Arryn
    Marital Status: Married to Polianne Corbray (23, b. 106 AC)
    Children: Jorah Arryn (8, b. 121 AC), Theon Arryn (6, b. 123 AC), Catelyn Arryn (4, b. 125 AC)
    Traits (6 points): +2 battles, +2 survival, +2 personal combat. After temperament: +3 battles, +2 survival, +2 personal combat
    Temperament:
    Confident: This character is very self-assured, brimming with confidence and difficult to shake even under pressure. However, taken to an extreme, they can show a suicidal disregard for their life and the lives of others, and fail to take...well, failure into account when planning. +1 battle rolls, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

Ser Joffrey was named Knight of the Bloody Gate at the tender age of twenty. Having shown promise as a commander, he was entrusted with perhaps the single most important defense the Vale has. His loyalty to the House Arryn has made him a trusted advisor of the Lady of the Vale, especially concerning martial matters. Whereas his Lady is elegant and well-spoken, Joffrey is rather less interested in observing etiquette and politics. He excels when matters are more black and white, and as such is quick to judge and make decisions.

Aemma Rivers
    The Bastard
    Full Name: Aemma Stone
    Marital Status: Unwed
    Children: None
    Traits (6 points): +2 charisma, +2 survival, +1 personal combat, +1 battles.
    Temperament:
    Upbeat: Nothing seems to get this character down. They're perpetually smiling and looking on the bright side of even the darkest developments, truly the kind of optimism that can be infectious...or delusional, if the situation is bad enough. +1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding).

The cheery bastard of the Vale claims to be the illegitimate daughter of a Riverlander lord, but has never been very interested in proving her claim. That she has some noble blood seems clear to the court of the Eyrie, however, as common peasants cannot posess such considerable beauty. She does not appear to have any formal education, but her demeanor makes her well liked. She is a close friend and advisor to Lady Arryn, and some rumors suggest they are lovers.

Council, retainers, notables
    Polianne Corbray, b. 206 AC
    Jorah Arryn, b. 121 AC
    Theon Arryn, b. 123 AC
    Catelyn Arryn, b. 125 AC
    Ander Royce, High Steward of the Vale and Keeper of the Gates of the Moon

Buildings
    Tier I

Tier II

Tier III

Tier IV

Military
    Demesne
    Retinue of House Arryn
    200 Knights of the Vale

The Eyrie
    1200 Light Infantry
    600 Archers
    600 Men-at-arms
    300 Light Cavalry
    300 Knights

The Bloody Gate
    100 Light Infantry
    50 Archers
    50 Men-at-arms
    25 Light Cavalry
    25 Knights

High Lordships
    Grafton of Gulltown
    Upcliff of Witch Isle
    Royce of Runestone (PC)
    Redfort of Redfort
    Blackholm of the Bite
    Egen of the Fingers
    Sunderland of the Sisters
    Hunter of Eastweald
    Waynwood of Ironoaks
    Belmore of Strongsong
    Lynderly of Northweald
    Waxley of Wickenden

Lordships

Corbray of Heart's Home (PC)

Stone of Stone Keep - 500 men
    200 Light Infantry
    100 Archers
    100 Men-at-arms
    50 Light Cavalry
    50 Knights

Royce of Gates of the Moon (PC) (Non-hereditary)
    Last edited by Adamat; January 10, 2019 at 07:28 PM.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: The Eyrie

It does not take long for Ander Royce the Keeper of the Gates to travel up the path to Eyrie. The man presents himself at the top of the Eyrie and waits to be ushered inside to Lady Jeyne's presence.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Benedict Corbray, Lord of Heart's Home, accepts the invitation from the Maiden of the Vale and proceeds to the Eyrie a couple days later. His eyes catch sight of the sparring area, remembering the letter's mention of Qyle's spar with a young cousin of Lady Jeyne. Once a strongly built man himself, age had weathered Lord Corbray, the former wielder of Lady Forlorn. The sword had been passed to his second son, Corwyn, who lived on Dragonstone, in the service of Rhaenyra, with his wife. Qyle was much like his uncle, Corwyn, and may one day be destined to wield Lady Forlorn as his grandfather had. He walks up towards the solar of the Eyrie, suspecting that was where Lady Arryn was.

As he heads towards the solar, he spies Ander Royce, father of his daughter-in-law and commander of the Gates of the Moon.

Lord Royce, haven't seen you since the wedding. Good to see you in fine health as always.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 10, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Lord Royce smiles as he turns to the Lord of Hearts Home.

"It is good to see you Lord Corbay,"
    He says thinking back to the wedding day. The marriage had been a fairly nice ceromny the wine had been flowing freely. "Do you know what this is about?" Rumor had it that two claimants had both crowned themselves." Perhaps Arryn was going to decide which way they were going to go.

Citizen

I haven't the faintest idea. Her Ladyship spoke of the time Qyle sparred with one of her younger relatives... then mentioned my duty to give advice when advice is needed.

The older Corbray looks at the closed doors of the solar, hearing nothing within. At the same time, Benedict was aware of an ambitious Arryn cousin that lingered within Jeyne's court.

My daughter hasn't mentioned anything either. Unless her letters are being watched.

A bright-eyed girl, too old to be a lady-in-waiting but too well-dressed to be a servant, soon shows up to receive the gentlemen with a modest bow. "Right this way my Lords, the Lady will see you now," she announces, apparently not too fazed by arguably two of the most important men in all of the Kingdom of Mountains and Vale. They quickly traverse the last hallway up to the solar, where the girl swings the heavy wooden door open wide for the men, and closing it behind them before retreating to a corner of the room. The Maiden of the Vale is peering over a multitude of scrolls which she quickly abandons as her guests approach. Rising from her seat to formally welcome her vassals, she gives a glimpse of a smile to Corbray. "My Lords, I trust your travels went well," she began the pleasantries. "One journey, of course, a bit farther than the other. Thank you for joining me, Lord Benedict." She gestures to some seats at a long table, before taking her place at its head. "Please, help yourselves," she proceeds as she pours herself a modest cup of wine from one of the many carafes on the table.

At that moment, the door opens once again. "My Lady," the newcomer said, bowing, before dipping his head to the men at the table. "My Lords." He proceeds to sit next to Royce. "Ah, Ser Joffrey, I trust the High Road from the Gate was safe as ever. It would appear that this period of relative peace has weakened the mountain clans," she explained to no-one in particular. "Now that we are complete, I shall begin. The reason why I called you here, my most trusted of men, is of great importance to the future of the Vale, and the preservation of the peace I mentioned. As you know, it is now nigh six years ago that my cousin, Arnold, was imprisoned in the Sky Cells for his repeated treason. Now, last week, it would seem that the mad falcon finally took flight, and his cell is now vacant." She paused for a moment, if only to feign the tiniest shred of sorrow she could muster for her rival. "Alas, these things happen, but with his death, I am afraid the issue of claimants is far from resolved. I would imagine you remember poor Eldric, Arnold's son. We sent him away shortly after, but he must have had an inkling of what had transpired. He was always headstrong, and before he left my court he had made clear to me that his heart burns with ambition and zeal. Truly, a model knight in the making." She emptied her glass. "Alas, while I am still young, Ser Joffrey is younger still, and as you may know, he stands to inherit the Vale. To safeguard that, we believe that Eldric must be convinced to let go of his feud. As we have seen from his father, however, a mere renounciation of claims holds no power to those of Arnold's blood. They care not for vows, but for power."

Joffrey then took the word. "Now, if it were my call, I'd track him down and lock him up or make him disappear, but Lady Jeyne must have her honor preserved. She will not be known as a tyrant or a kinslayer, but we agree that as long as Lady Arryn does not bear children, I am the sole claimant to the Vale. We would like to hear your thoughts on the matter."

Citizen

Lord Corbray bows his head to the Lady Jeyne. Last time he ventured here, the male was able to bow at the waist, but his bones grew stiff as his girth grew too. Benedict's thick beard had been recently trimmed for this meeting, lest he looks like some sort of mountain man that ever lived in the most isolated of peaks, valleys, and forests of the Vale. The Corbrays had always been loyal vassals and Benedict sought to continue that streak.

Lady Paramount, it is always a pleasure to venture from my home and offer my services.

Good and honorable as ever.

Benedict's gaze ventured to the wine, taking up a cup himself with a nod of thanks. Then his eyes gazed at who ventured in next, his son-in-law, Ser Joffrey Arryn, husband to his only daughter. A good connection for his family, given the uncertain succession surrounding Jeyne. The two spoke of the brewing political situation within the Vale. There were whispers that the Lady Paramount never once looked at a man fondly, but rather enjoyed the company of women. As a result, she never took a husband and thus never mothered children. It came to her various cousin branches to one day rule the Vale. However, one branch sought to see this come sooner than later...

Lady Arryn, Eldric may not be as honorable as you are. You must not be lenient with him, lest his son, just as his father before him, will cause trouble for you as well.

A war of falcons, thought Benedict. A great fear of his was that Eldric may seek the aid of the mountain clans...
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 11, 2019 at 08:07 AM.

Ander frowns thoughtful at this thinking hard on the implications of this choice. Corbat would of course support it for it would make his grand child Lord Paramount of the Vale as it looked increasingly unlikely lady Jeyne would ever have children. Still as Ander saw it his fortunes were tied to Jeyne and stability in the Eyrie.

"My lady Ser Joffery is a wise choice for successor, but as long as Edric is out there and alive he will be a threat. There are plenty who will support the claim of a man such as him in hope of garnering some small favor."

The Maiden sat in silence for a moment, pondering what her men had suggested. "Perhaps you are right, and I should be more apprehensive. If I were to imprison my nephew, it would legitimise supposed fears of my less leal vassals. If I were to have him executed, it would make me a tyrant and a kinslayer. In any case, I am afraid we would have to locate him first, as at the moment we have no clue of his whereabouts. Lord Royce, what capabilities do we have to track him down at the moment? And Lord Corbray, are you aware of any dissent in the ranks of my vassals? It might give us some clues about where we stand in terms of our allies and enemies, should Eldric rise sooner than we expect."

Ander frowns thoughtful, "I believe he will go to one of the great houses of the Vale if he wishes to press a claim." Royce pauses again thinking, "Redfort, Hunter, Waynewood, or my kin in Runestone are the likely choices. They stand among your most powerful vassals and if one grants him guest right you would be unable to touch him without provoking a civil war." Several of the Lords listed could almost match Arryn for strength of arms. "If he were to leave the vale and seek shelter he would be effectively giving up his claim no Vale Lord would follow him if he came at the head of a foreign army. He needs local support."

Citizen

There is one other area I could think of, Lord Royce. The Three Sisters.

The Sisters were long known for their rebellious nature. Though no major revolt had happened since the days of the Conqueror, the Sistermen did tend to ignore the orders and laws of the Vale, set down by House Arryn.

The Sisters are known for their piracy. Eldric gains favor from them, earns a crew, and utilizes money gained from raiding to fund his cause.

Eldric seemed ambitious enough to gain what he desired after all. His personality would certainly gain allies here and there.

I have not heard much in terms of rumors though. Whoever has aided Eldric in his flight has certainly been able to keep his location a secret... this will make things difficult.

Jeyne nodded. "It would seem we have to bide our time, then. My Lord Royce," she turned to Ander. "If we were to find him at your family, and if we were to find that they are fully aware of their situation, you understand we must move against them. If your loyalty to them would outweigh your loyalty to me, I would at that point ask of you to abandon the Eyrie and the Gates of the Moon, and no further harm would come to you." She paused for a moment, looking deep into his eyes. "However, I believe you to be a man of great honor and skill. If you would work for me, and only me, I would gladly retain your service." She then looked over to Joffrey, her tone becoming more friendly. "Ah, I am getting ahead of myself. For now, let us not be so quick to assume the worst. Ser Joffrey, you will raise some men and seek out battle or parlay with the mountain clans. You shall offer them generous rewards or cold steel at your leisure, in order to establish what they know of this situation." The knight of the Bloody Gate nodded, and Jeyne turned to Benedict. "Finally, Lord Corbray. I would ask of you that you inquire, discreetly, if any of the houses named have ties to, or know of the whereabouts of my nephew. The respect you enjoy in the Vale will surely aid you in this task."

Having said her piece, Jeyne relaxed a bit, sitting further back in her chair. "Now, if any of you have questions, whether related to the subject we just discussed or not, I would hear them now. If not, I believe this meeting can be concluded."

"I may be kin to the Royce's in Runestone, but it has been 10 years at least since I talked to my cousin." Royce says a touch of anger in his voice at the accusation. "My loyalties remain as they always were."

Citizen

Benedict rubs his chin slightly, pondering of the names of houses spoken by Ander Royce.

Redfort, Hunter, Waynewood, and Royce of Runestone...

Some powerful houses were named there. Houses that had enough levies to put the Gates of the Moon under siege. Certainly, not enough now to stand against the might of the Arryns, but in time, it would become a threat.

I will try my best, Lady Paramount, to ensure that the truth is uncovered. Perhaps Lord Royce here could go about securing the loyalty of those houses who loyalties are obvious. Ensure they are ready at a moments notice to raise their banners.​

Benedict nods confidently to his colleague. Yet his gaze did not turn away afterward.

Is there anything I should know about your cousins though, Lord Royce? Anything that could be of help?

"Gunthor is a stubborn man and he will not be dissuaded easily." Ander says thinking back to his meeting with that branch of the family. "That's all I really know." He turns to Lady Arryn, "I would advise against preparing the Lords for war though. It would make you look to be an aggressive tyrant and force a rebellion where none was before." Eldric was in the wind but it would take time to find any support. "Besides Lady Arryn's claim is secure as long as her kin remain strong on the Iron Throne. Aggressive action now would ruin the position she has secured for herself."

The Maiden nodded thoughtfully. "Thank you for your time, my Lords. I will now take some time to consider the options that lay before us. Your advice has been most helpful, but for now we shall part ways. May we meet in peace next time, as well."

--------

Some weeks later, with news coming from King's Landing about the new monarch that was installed, Lady Arryn once again called Royce and Corbray to the Eyrie. They had much to discuss, considering the Kingdoms appeared to be on the verge of war. The banners had been called, but it would take some time still before the levies were gathered. Time that could be used to deliberate. Rhaenyra had not yet let her intentions be known, but for those who knew her, or even of her, it was clear that she would not take defeat so easily. As much as she was controversial, the Arryn blood in her veins and the choice of the old King made her the only person who should hold the Iron Throne in Jeyne's eyes.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Harrold Templeton, Knight of Ninestars, arrives at the Eyre, visibly upset.

The man is allowed to enter by the heavy contingent of soldiers that was gathering by the Gates of the Moon. The fields had been transformed into mustering grounds where knights taught the gathered peasants how to wield their farming equipment, the stables were brimming with warhorses already, and yet the forces here were but a fraction of the host that the Lady Jeyne was expecting to see within a few weeks.

Within the Eyrie's main hall was a cacophony of merchants, lesser knights and servants, all waiting to bring their advice, grievances and reports to the Maiden. They would have to wait, however, as the Knight of Ninestars outranked all of them. He was ushered past the masses into the solar, where he was soon joined by Jeyne Arryn. "Ser Templeton," she spoke. "I assume you've an important matter for me to consider, if you rode here without your sworn men fully gathered. Please, speak."

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Adamat View Post
    The man is allowed to enter by the heavy contingent of soldiers that was gathering by the Gates of the Moon. The fields had been transformed into mustering grounds where knights taught the gathered peasants how to wield their farming equipment, the stables were brimming with warhorses already, and yet the forces here were but a fraction of the host that the Lady Jeyne was expecting to see within a few weeks.

Within the Eyrie's main hall was a cacophony of merchants, lesser knights and servants, all waiting to bring their advice, grievances and reports to the Maiden. They would have to wait, however, as the Knight of Ninestars outranked all of them. He was ushered past the masses into the solar, where he was soon joined by Jeyne Arryn. "Ser Templeton," she spoke. "I assume you've an important matter for me to consider, if you rode here without your sworn men fully gathered. Please, speak."
    "Oh, of course milady, very important indeed" Harrold says in a raspy and unpleasant voice. "I just wanted to ask you what in the seven hells does this piece of mean."

He throws a piece of parchment to the ground in front of Lady Arryn.

News from the Vale: House Blackholm of the Scorched Vale is elevated to High Lordship of the Bite. House Waxley of Wickenden and Crab's Shore is elevated to High Lordship of Wickenden. Furthermore, House Egen are created Lords of Midlor Point and appointed High Lordship of the Fingers.

The Lady raised an eyebrow. She would not deign to pick up the parchment, but she remembered the letter quite well. "You will behave yourself in these halls, Ser," she said sternly. "You will remember your place and regain your composure, or I will have you removed from my presence. Now, my good Ser, this piece of that you have so elegantly returned to me confers High Lordship to House Waxley. I understand, from your heated arrival, that you do not agree with this decision. However, it is not one that is yours to make." She paused for a moment, turning to a map of the Vale that was laid out on the Solar's desk. "As the Knight of Ninestars is valued greatly, however, I shall give you some of my time to explain my decision. As you must know, the Eyrie has the allegiance of many a noble. I have decided to instate House Waxley as your direct Lord, as they are the single most powerful vassal in your High Lordship, and in the interest of alleviating some strain on the administrative system of the Vale, it was in my best interests to centralise some of the considerable power that the southern Vale holds." She turned around again, facing Templeton. "Now, normally I would ask you to consult with your High Lord before turning to me, but since the situation is exceptional, I will allow you to speak your piece on the matter. Why do you seem to be so adverse to the idea of serving under House Waxley? They have proven to be honorable and loyal, and I believe they will be excellent High Lords."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast