Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winterfell

Default Re: Winterfell

"Aye, that my father did. I was still in the cradle when he went to the Council."

Lord Ellard had ridden south with almost all of his bannermen to support the Lady Rhaenys, but in the end her claim amounted to very little. Perhaps if she had been chosen, war would not have come. Stark found his curiosity piqued by this dark haired dragon princeling.

"He swore the oath to your mother, too. That one I remember."

A Stark had not ridden south since. Up until now, they had been largely forgotten, and content to be so. Stoically, he continued.

"But my father is long gone. Much has changed. Winter soon comes, and it hits us harder than anyone else."

Viserys sired three sons, all strong and healthy boys, one now sitting on the Iron Throne. The Winter King, they called him, for his coronation had heralded the white raven from Oldtown; the promise of death and darkness whether war came north or not.

"Aye, I can feel it already, Gods"

He trembled.

"The cold. It's inside my bones, pah"

The prince looked at him in return.

"Much has changed, aye, but... doesn't the North remember? They say you have long memory here and you've always been loyal to mother. Why would that change?"

Joffrey scratched his chin.

"It will hit you harder... maybe you need some help, Lord Stark? I bet grandfather wouldn't mind shipping some more grain North, if you wanted. And marching south, fighting, will keep some mouths... occupied elsewhere. Large men eat soooo much, even more than I, or my brother Jace"

The boy said, shrewdly. He smiled, very warmly. The next thing he said, he said with genuine emotion:

"I assure you, we can be good friends, your lordship and I!"
    Last edited by Oznerol; January 23, 2019 at 11:05 AM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

"We have been loyal to they who sit the Iron Throne."

Stark corrected, sharply. Though he smiled, it appeared more like a grimace.

"I won't barter like some fishmonger's wife. I will march renew my oath and march south for your mother, but I have terms of my own."

Cregan beckoned forward the Maester, and commanded him to set down his spoken word.

"I want relief from taxation for ten years, and an oath that our two houses shall be joined by marriage when proper suitors are found. As for grain, I will pay lord Corlys good money for ships to come into White Harbour for winter. Those are my terms."

Joffrey stared at the beam ceiling for a moment, thinking. One could see his gears turning.

"Aye, that's acceptable. It's your support what my mother desires, not coins. One can always ask for a loan, swords are harder to find nowadays, I guess"

He tilted his head.

"I shall write a raven with your demands, my Lord, my mother shall accept every one of your points. I'm sure"

He nodded.

"Maybe she will add something else, I don't know"

Some time later.

To Lord Cregan Stark,

I, Rhaenyra, of House Targaryen, comply to the terms presented to my beloved son, prince Joffrey of House Velaryon, to every one of them. Loyalty is worth more than any tax, moreso in winter, when every coin is needed to feed hungry mouths. And, furthermore, we add a seat in the council for your Lordship or any of your bannermen, to sit and speak in my Small Council, in the cappacity we deem appropriate. We also comply to the demands of a marriage alliance between someone of mine blood and yours, for the marriage with the North has always been something pending, broken by the accidental death of our great-aunt, promised to the then-Lord Manderly. Also, I acknowledge the bravery and prowess in arms of the North, by granting your Lordship the right to send a man of known skill to serve in our Queensguard.

In the light of the Seven,

Rhaenyra, First of Her Name, etc.

(SIGNED AND SEALED)
    I, Lord Corlys Velaryon, promise to mantain the grain supply in the North, with my trading fleet, in exchange of a fair price for every cargo of grain shipped to White Harbor, at a fixed price each year, according to the fluctuations of price in both Westeros and Essos and the availability of the said trade good in the market, for war and weather might ruin the grain production in the Reach and the Riverlands. My agents shall soon arrive to the said harbor to have dealings with the ruling lord and his agents in charge, whoever they might be.

(SIGNED AND SEALED)

"Very well. You are welcome to stay here as long as you like, my prince. I have had quarters prepared for you."

Stark rose from his seat, nodding to the Maester, who scuttled off to send the list by raven.

"War it is, then. I will summon my banners."

"Oh, yes, I'm thankful"

Joffrey then blushed, looked at his feet and still looking downwards asked:

"I'll be glad to get to know your seat, my Lord. You know of someone who could show me the place?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12