Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Iron Throne, Red Keep

Default Re: The Iron Throne, Red Keep

Aemond nodded.

"See, grandfather? If Baratheon does refuse, I will do visit him, but to melt his petty castle over his foolish head"

He smiled.

"With Vhagar here they can't do anything, they aren't as daring as to face her in battle with the support of several other dragons"

Aemond looked at Daeron.

"Maybe Daeron could go, a dragon is a dragon, and Tessarion is big enough"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

"I will go wherever the family needs me the most." Daeron said dutifully, unsmiling, arms folded over his chest. "Be it Highgarden or Storm's End or Casterly Rock, or all of them."

Hightower was about to respond, but the look of his daughter told him everything. Stoic as she was, her gaze was answer enough of what would happen, if he disagreed now.
    Given that Aegon was technically the king and Ser Otto only the Lord Hand, he didn't want to intercept more than necessary. Both Aegon and Aemond were old enough to decide on their own what they wished to do and Daeron... Daeron was by some point as well, but without a finished education, thus making the whole situation more troublesome.
    Especially when considering that Alicent would definitly disagree on sending the boy with his dragon to Storm's End, when anyone could intercept him there, no matter the size of Tessarion. It was the lack of actual expierience of the boy, which worried his grandfather even more. One more reason, why Otto wished to avoid a war at all costs, even if it seems unavoidable.

"Regarding the negotiations at Highgarden, House Hightower will gladly act with your permission, mylord, while sending Daeron is a mere suggestion as I have faith in him, that is all", the Lord Hand briefly stated, admitting defeat at this point, "If his grace decides to disagree with my counsel, it is within the right of every king to do so. I'm your advisor and regent within your absence, but in the end the making of decisions falls to you, my grandson. I will send in time another letter to Oldtown in order to send an envoy, so that we can see what we have to expect from House Tyrell for the future."
    "While I disagree on sending Daeron alone on a dragon to this bloody stone on a cliff, which Baratheon calls a keep!", Alicent intervened, making clear, that she wasn't amused at all about Aemond's proposal, "Send a courtier, if you must, father, but as long as this wretched Daemon Targaryen and his beast are within close proximity between us and Storm's End, I don't let you allow to risk my own flesh and blood's life, just because you think a dragon will scare the stag enough to run away from the Queen who never will be - and Rhaenys, of course."
    Always a sharp tongue, haven't we, my daughter?, the old man merely thought to himself.
    "As well I leave this decision to his grace, Queen Dowager", he only added diplomatic in hopes that the King would take the initiative once more, now that the debate regarding the coronation was as good as over.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Aegon glances at his mother, ever protective of young Daeron. He scoffs slightly at the motherly protection, their youngest brother was almost a man after all.

I hear the Lord Baratheon has some beautiful daughters available. Sending Daeron, with his charm and suave, will enchant the Lord of Storm's End and maybe bring him a bride.

Aegon grins at Daeron, tying the Baratheons to his side through marriage. He pats his younger brother on the shoulder.

Taming a dragon makes you a Targaryen, little brother. But gaining a woman, a Baratheon beauty at that, will surely make you a man.

Aegon had already bedded many a woman already, fathering three legitimate heirs and two bastards as proof of his... prowess. That left Aemond to find a bride too. The Tyrells had too young of blood. No, Aemond needed someone good that's for sure. Vhagar matched him in ferocity and a hardened woman would be needed, a heart as hard as steel. Perhaps another house could provide for that in the future to secure the Iron Throne further.

Now, let's get this on with, Lord Hand! Bring forth the Septon and the Conqueror's crown! Bring me Blackfyre! Its time I ought to be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms!

=========================

There was a task at hand now for Larys. However, such a journey would not be good for the man. His clubfoot made it hard for him to ride upon horseback.

Lord Hand, I shall send word to my cousin at Harrenhal, Ser Robin. He will handle the Tullys in my stead.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 12, 2019 at 05:35 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Daeron reddened with embarassment at his brother's coarse suggestion. Scratching his head, he nevertheless tried to sound dignified when he answered, "Well...Storm's End first it is, then, I suppose. I'll depart as soon as you are crowned, brother mine." It would be strange at first to call Aegon 'Your Grace' like he used to call their father, but the younger Targaryen brother figured he'd get used to it eventually. "If you require me to fly to win support elsewhere afterwards, simply say the word."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Aegon glances at his mother, ever protective of young Daeron. He scoffs slightly at the motherly protection, their youngest brother was almost a man after all.

I hear the Lord Baratheon has some beautiful daughters available. Sending Daeron, with his charm and suave, will enchant the Lord of Storm's End and maybe bring him a bride.

Aegon grins at Daeron, tying the Baratheons to his side through marriage. He pats his younger brother on the shoulder.

Taming a dragon makes you a Targaryen, little brother. But gaining a woman, a Baratheon beauty at that, will surely make you a man.

Aegon had already bedded many a woman already, fathering three legitimate heirs and two bastards as proof of his... prowess. That left Aemond to find a bride too. The Tyrells had too young of blood. No, Aemond needed someone good that's for sure. Vhagar matched him in ferocity and a hardened woman would be needed, a heart as hard as steel. Perhaps another house could provide for that in the future to secure the Iron Throne further.

Now, let's get this on with, Lord Hand! Bring forth the Septon and the Conqueror's crown! Bring me Blackfyre! Its time I ought to be Lord of the Seven Kingdoms!

There was a task at hand now for Larys. However, such a journey would not be good for the man. His clubfoot made it hard for him to ride upon horseback.

Lord Hand, I shall send word to my cousin at Harrenhal, Ser Robin. He will handle the Tullys in my stead.
    "At once, your grace", the Lord Hand replied swiftly, lowering his head before heading outside to do as he was tasked.

Ser Gwayne Hightower secretly placed himself in the meanwhile next to the Master of Coin, making clear that he wanted to talk with him, once the whole debate was done, as eyecontact and brief "The Lord Hand has given me a task involving your expertise" was made.

Somewhat in disbelief, Alicent Hightower eyed both Aegon and afterwards Daeron at first. True... he wouldn't be a boy by the laws anymore, but yet... she still feared for him. Unable to speak, as it was the will of her eldest son and she thought that it was for now for the better, she only touched Daeron's shoulder in order to get more comfortable with the idea. It was for her already hard to let him leave to Oldtown the first time, but back then she was certain that he would be safe with his family. And yet... she had no good feelings about it, but she tried to calm herself down. It's just the regular worries of a mother.
    They had grown up so fast - they are able to stand on their own legs.
    While she would ensure their safety as best as she could.

As Ser Otto was about to leave the hall and Lord Larys Strong informed him of what he intended to do, Hightower solely nodded.
    "If you can trust him within this task, he earns my trust as well", he merely commented somewhat thankful, "It has time until after the coronation though, regarding the Riverlands we're not necessarily in a hurry for now."

Ser Criston Cole nodded approvingly, having thus far concluded that his input was not necessary. If he had learned anything in his decades long experience in service, it was when to remain silent and let courses play out without undue influence. It was better to allow these royally minded, high handed individuals believe they had decided their own fate independently. The story was ages old, and had been the lesson of many a minor house in playing a more high handed affair in the dealings of the Realm. "Hail, Aegon, King!" He bellowed upon the King's declaration

Lord Rosby arrives at King;s Landing with a small retinue, and waits among the other petitioners and courtiers in the Red Keep to be summoned before the Iron Throne.

Citizen

Eventually the petitioners and sorts are eliminated by the Lord Hand doing most of the work as Aegon sits rather unattentively on the Iron Throne. A kingsguard brings Lord Rosby forth to the Iron Throne where His Grace sat, the crown of the Conqueror upon his head. His attention upon a passing serving girl before he hears the kingsguard coughs. He turns abruptly back.

"What?!"

He shouts before seeing Lord Rosby... And no other petitioner behind him. Thank the Seven, thought the King.

"My Lord Rosby, we are pleased to see you. What brings you to my presence and the Iron Throne?"

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

A raven arrives to Kings Landing
    King Aegon II

The Westerlands stand behind you in this time of turmoil. My your enemies be dispatched quickly, and may all the seven kingdoms give you allegiance. Preparations are well under way for call to arms to be sent out and for the Lords of the Westerlands to assemble. They need only know where they will be marching to. I am confident of the loyalty of my banners and you can rest assured in their ability.

May this war be swift and decisive
    Lord Jason Lannister

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Rosby kneels before the Iron Throne after being led by the Kingsguard forward. "Hail, your grace. I have come to swear fealty to you, as the overlord of the Crownlands and King of the Seven Kingdoms."

Citizen

If only others were as simple and forward with their loyalties as you are, Lord Rosby.

Aegon wondered how easy this transition would have been if all others had sworn to him and Rhaenyra kept herself locked upon Dragonstone. No matter, he would see it done and opposition silenced.

You will serve as one of my commanders then, Lord Rosby. The dragons grow anxious and restless... perhaps their primordial senses can smell the coming battle. Gather your banners and bring them to King's Landing.

The Targaryen glances as a servant approaches with some wine, nervous steps taken to ensure the goblet was placed in his hands.

When this is all over, expect a good reward, my Lord.

On one of the last truly warm days of the year, the Goldcloaks on the capital's walls spy something in the sky, fast approaching the city: Tessarion, the Blue Queen, whose cobalt and copper scales made her appear as a sculpture of lapis lazuli against the backdrop of the lighter-blue sky. Daeron Targaryen had returned to meet his brothers, and he wasn't alone: riding with arms around his waist was the tall and dark-haired Lady Brienne Baratheon, his new bride-to-be, and one half of what he was bringing from the Stormlands. The other half, of course, were the various other requests and alternative arrangements he had spent most of his time in Storm's End talking over with her father, the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    On one of the last truly warm days of the year, the Goldcloaks on the capital's walls spy something in the sky, fast approaching the city: Tessarion, the Blue Queen, whose cobalt and copper scales made her appear as a sculpture of lapis lazuli against the backdrop of the lighter-blue sky. Daeron Targaryen had returned to meet his brothers, and he wasn't alone: riding with arms around his waist was the tall and dark-haired Lady Brienne Baratheon, his new bride-to-be, and one half of what he was bringing from the Stormlands. The other half, of course, were the various other requests and alternative arrangements he had spent most of his time in Storm's End talking over with her father, the Lord Paramount of the Stormlands.
    Tessarion's arrival was greeted by a booming roar as Sunfyre was seen with the King outside. The golden dragon had been brought out to enjoy the rays of the sky and fly around King's Landing. Aegon knew his mount would need to be in prime shape in the coming days. He had heard rumors that Velaryon's fleet had vanished from the Blackwater Bay for places unknown. Who knew where he would land or what he carried within his hulls. It made the Targaryen wonder where Rhaenyra would dare to land... however, his eyes were once more distracted by the appearance of the maiden servant girl passing by a few windows just beyond the courtyard. The landing of Tessarion brought him to turn and see Daeron... with a pretty Baratheon with him.

Left as a boy and came back as a man.

Aegon says as he pats Sunfyre's nose, the dragon stretching its wings slightly as it turned to look at Daeron, Tessarion, and Brienne.

What news from the Stormlands and Lord Baratheon, Daeron?

"Good news for the most part, brother!" Daeron replied cheerfully as he dismounted, then helped his fiancée do the same. "Lord Baratheon has agreed to marry his eldest daughter to me. Might I present my lovely lady-wife-to-be, Brienne Baratheon? He and I are both of the same mind, that she and I should marry in the royal sept as soon as possible to reinforce ties between our houses."

Once the introductions between Brienne and the King were concluded, Daeron continued to explain, "Alas, he's still hesitant to commit fully to our cause, despite soon having me for his good-son. He requires more gentle persuasion to risk facing the flames of our sister's dragons, I suppose." The younger brother paused to collect his thoughts and recall exactly what Baratheon had told him, and what he had told Baratheon in turn. "He first told me he wants land from the Reach, but unless Tyrell has declared for the pretender already, I can't imagine that that'd be a good promise to make. As far as a viable alternative goes, maybe a match between Jaehaera and his heir would suffice? Lady Brienne here informed me she has a brother around your twins' age on the way here, so..." He nodded at his betrothed. "Most men should be hard-pressed already to not march to the aid of his kin by one marriage. Not fighting for a family to which he's been bound by two? That's unimaginable." At least it was to the idealistic Daeron.

"And speaking of the Reach! Any news from there? I know it was decided that one of our Hightower cousins would have to go visit Highgarden the last time we all sat in the throne room, but I've heard nothing of any movements or proclamations from Highgarden even after reaching Storm's End." Though Daeron wasn't exactly a seasoned politician, he had enough instincts to know that angering one of the largest and most fertile of the southern kingdoms when unnecessary was not something to be done. And that that was exactly what Storm's End's hunger for fertile Reach territory would cause.

Citizen

Aegon clicks his teeth in an irritated way. Baratheon refused to commit, yet married his brother to one of his daughters? Not to mention the high demand for lands in the Reach... the Reach, along with the Westerlands, was where his support was most concentrated after all. Hightowers held great power and influence, certainly enough to bring plenty of Reachlords to his cause. If the King and the Lord Hand agreed to such a demand, both would lose face and risk Reach nobility joining Rhaenyra... which would severely tip the balance in his bastard half-sister's favor. The King's sullen expression deepens at the thought process in his mind. His hand lightly patting the side of Sunfyre's head.

We need the Reach and their lords to support the Iron Throne and my reign. I would be disgraced, and so would the Lord Hand, if we signed such an agreement. It would only ensure that my half-sister gains more than just carrion birds and commoners to her banners.

He would have to find another means to compensate the Lord Baratheon and Daeron's suggestion sounded like the ticket.

That... or my own son, Jaehaerys. A Baratheon Queen might interest him enough, Daeron. Tell the Lord Hand to send a missive to Lord Baratheon, suggesting a union between Crown Prince Jaehaerys and one of his daughters. Otherwise, Jaehaera and his son would do.

That ought to satisfy the ambitious Lord Baratheon. If his banners folded to his cause, Aegon would certainly have the upper hand in this ordeal. Onto the matter of the Reach.

No word from the Reach. They are either cowards or plotting something... the only banners I know that have risen, though, are that of Oldtown and her vassals.

"I could visit the Reach first then, brother, once I and Brienne have sealed our wedding vows. If Lady Tyrell has any daughters, it might be both wiser and fairer to offer a betrothal to Jaehaerys to her ahead of Lord Baratheon, who's already bound to us by my marriage to his daughter." Daeron replied thoughtfully. The Baratheons already had one strong marriage tie to the royal house through himself, and could very well pick up another through his niece. If the Tyrells were to receive the promise of just one royal marriage, better for it to be one that could plant a Tyrell Queen beside the future King on the Iron Throne. "What do you think?"

"And the twins remind me...have you decided whether your children should stay here or move to the safety of Oldtown, brother mine?" Daeron's concern for his nephews and niece was genuine. "Dragonstone is just across the sea from here, while Oldtown is on the other side of the continent. I know it might pain Mother's and Helaena's hearts and yours too, but surely the latter would be a safer place for the children to play at least until the fighting's over, if you ask me. If I am to go to the Reach anyway, I could easily escort Jaehaerys, Jaehaera, Maelor and their dragons to Oldtown first, before turning north to visit Highgarden and then east to Storm's End. And if I can bring Tyrell onto our side, that's another layer of protection they'll have, including the defenses of Oldtown and the Hightower itself."

Citizen

I need you and your dragon here, Daeron. Rumors abound that the Velaryon fleet has vanished from the Blackwater Bay... Rhaenyra is on the move if that is the case.

Daeron was steadily becoming a renowned knight too. His skills in battle would be needed and necessary to fight against the dragons at the disposal of his half-sister. Named Caraxes, a vicious dragon that matched the ferocity of its rider, Daemon.

I do not think Helaena would object to heading south with the children to Oldtown. She has been nagging me lately about what is to be done about the children...

Helaena was a kinder soul than her brother-husband, just like Jaehaera, her daughter too. She was not concerned about anything but the safety of the heirs to the Iron Throne. The three were but children after all and their dragons, save Maelor's unhatched egg, were hatchlings themselves. Though they were starting to attempt at breathing fire and their appetites were only growing more and more with each passing day. Aegon knew that his sister would seek any advantage over him, including taking his offspring hostage. He would not let her have the chance to enjoy such an advantage.

I will have Helaena ride, upon Dreamfyre, south with my children, escorted by two-hundred and fifty cavalry. If you desire to send Brienne that way too, the choice is yours, Daeron. But I need you and your dragon here more than ever. Helaena is no warrior, you are.

See Mace Rowan, after making his way to the capital following his disagreement with his father, finds his way to the Red Keep, and requests an audience with Lady Hightower and the royal family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    I need you and your dragon here, Daeron. Rumors abound that the Velaryon fleet has vanished from the Blackwater Bay... Rhaenyra is on the move if that is the case.

Daeron was steadily becoming a renowned knight too. His skills in battle would be needed and necessary to fight against the dragons at the disposal of his half-sister. Named Caraxes, a vicious dragon that matched the ferocity of its rider, Daemon.

I do not think Helaena would object to heading south with the children to Oldtown. She has been nagging me lately about what is to be done about the children...

Helaena was a kinder soul than her brother-husband, just like Jaehaera, her daughter too. She was not concerned about anything but the safety of the heirs to the Iron Throne. The three were but children after all and their dragons, save Maelor's unhatched egg, were hatchlings themselves. Though they were starting to attempt at breathing fire and their appetites were only growing more and more with each passing day. Aegon knew that his sister would seek any advantage over him, including taking his offspring hostage. He would not let her have the chance to enjoy such an advantage.

I will have Helaena ride, upon Dreamfyre, south with my children, escorted by two-hundred and fifty cavalry. If you desire to send Brienne that way too, the choice is yours, Daeron. But I need you and your dragon here more than ever. Helaena is no warrior, you are.
    "If you say so." Daeron looked pleased that he'd be included in the fighting. His head was still full of notions about how battles were glorious and chivalric contests of honor, as opposed to the bloody and gruesome maelstroms they tended to be in reality. "I suppose then it'd be prudent to let Grandfather know, then, so that he can send a letter to Highgarden with the offer of Jaehaerys' hand in marriage and whatever else you think fitting to woo Lady Tyrell with. Oh, and something to Storm's End about Jaehaera's hand too." He had to admit, not having to play messenger-boy anymore was kind of liberating. No more having to listen to and then recite great lords' demands, when they should have been eager to do the right thing and join his brother immediately!

"An excellent idea on top of another excellent idea, brother." Daeron nodded sagely at the proposal of sending his bride south to Oldtown with their sister and the young Targaryen children. "We'll have to be wed first, of course, but as soon as all that has been sorted out, I agree that Brienne here should head for Oldtown with the Queen and your children as soon as possible." Particularly if the bedding went well and she ended up bearing his child - for despite his guilelessness, Daeron was still a boy in the throes of puberty, and knew how children were made. "I'm sure we can all rest easier at night knowing they've found safety far away from here, and are leaving the war to us men."
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; January 20, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast