Thread: Almost 3x longer turns midgame + CTD fixed

Default Almost 3x longer turns midgame + CTD fixed

Hello.

I play SS 6.4 campaign with bugfix compilation installed (i installed everything step by step with installation guide, also it's outside program files). I had my first CTD in turn 81 in the same battle several times in a row after first 2-3 minutes of battle. I read somewhere that making .exe compatibility with XP sp3 and ticking full control in security tab http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...59#post8287059 fixed CTD for some people. I tried that and.. it worked, i replayed the battle w/o that CTD again.

However i noticed new problem now. Almost 3x longer AI turns, it takes 5-6 minutes sometimes! I did a test and if i disable compatibility mode again, it's faster but still not like it was before. Can you guys help and explain what's the case? I guess i can't undo the UAC full control method? It probably already changed something with files idk. I'll appreciate any help, thanks.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Almost 3x longer turns midgame + CTD fixed

compatibility mode does slow it down. But the best way to make it run faster on a single core is assign affinity to a core that isn't running anything else, and/or overclock your core. The game uses only one core to run and its frequency is the most important aspect then. But run the game with resource monitor on and see whats bottlenecking (i.e. one core, ram, video card, etc)
    Last edited by Losthief; January 08, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

I mean i have normally fast turns in this game and mod so if it was a core, ram or gpu bottleneck wouldn't i have this problem all the time, also before? Also i'm not running any apps etc. in the background when i play the game. It obviously started yesterday after i changed folder permissions and compatibility mode. Before this i did play 81 turns and it didn't take longer than 1-2min for AI turn.

Compatibility mode i can disable, but could changing permissions slow the turns aswell or it shouldn't affect that? Pretty lame situation, even if i'd undo this i'll probably get CTDs back, if i keep it i'll have long turns :/

okay lets try some things:

Make kingdoms.exe or medeval.exe or whatever it is set as high priority task. Runs first before anything else.

Try running it with you av disabled and see if its faster (then adjust your settings, the game might be not triggering the 'game' mode most a/v have now and be restricted)

Look at what windows updates installed right as the change happened. Try uninstalling those specific ones, see if it speeds up again, then theres the problem

delete the cfg files for medII and ss, so in the medII folder is medievalpreferences.cfg iirc, and ss its preferences...i don't have that computer on me, so...i think its that. Its the cfg files tho. The game will recreate them at launch.

Turn off follow ai movement...i think that speeds it up sometimes.

As for UAC:

check your virtual store folder: if its empty of medII, and ss folders then your install is fine. Just make sure to run ss_setup with 'right click run as admin' every time so you can overwrite properly
    LOSTHIEF

I tried different priority and affinity, disabled AV etc. it isn't any faster (i was testing it with stopwatch). Didn't install any updates in that time too.
    I have 0 game files in virtual store folder. I have "run as admin" ticked from the beginning for both setup and game launcher.
    Follow AI is definitely making it around 40 sec slower but i always played with that cus i want to see enemy armies. Shame they didn't do the same option but for armies only, ignoring all agents.

Turn times are not that bad with win XP compatibility disabled, but i got first time ever CTD in a small 7 unit custom battle.. and i was using same units as in many 5x bigger battles i played in campaign where i didn't have CTD. So it's not a PC/graphics settings fault, not units fault and not map fault. Sounds like some random CTD for no reason.

thanks for trying all those, they were just general ideas.

did you install g5's battle ai and his fixes. Fixes common ctd occurances from the battlemap. (the settlement one just adds pathfinding for ai on default settlement maps).

Its stickied in the submod section. If you get a battle ctd, you turn it on (via ss_setup) play the battle, then save, run ss_setup and disable it and continue campaign. It also adds some help for the ai, but its all in the description.

Try that to see if you can avoid using the compatability mode. I have no idea why it slowed down from before after you ticked it, but I've never bothered using compatibility mode for anything because i hate microsoft windows scripting, personally feels it adds more problems than it fixes.
    LOSTHIEF

Sorry i forgot to ask you about deleting cfg files you mentioned in your previous post. Is it safe, deleting them won't corrupt my current campaign or something? I also remember about deleting map.rwm but this probably should be done after finishing your campaign and before starting a new one right?

I installed only bugfix compilation v1.27 (i don't like what G5 battle does with unit orders and reaction, it's already slow/delayed imo in vanilla m2tw) but bugfix comp. has 2 things from G5 in ss_setup "G5 emergency battle CTD fix" and "G5 ReallyBadAI Hardcore addon". I guess you're talking about the first one. I never tried that, but does it require you to restart the game everytime you tick and untick the option in ss_setup? If yes then it's pretty much same as changing compatibility mode to XP.

Btw. I could maybe try that G5 ReallyBadAI but in the next campaign, it's even required to restart. I hope it is possible to just disable the orders feature and use the rest.

really i was talking about the ctd fix. Yeah it be the same. G5's thing can be done mid campaign but i'd be the same as using compatibility mode as you pointed out, only difference is if compatibility mode has lasting effects after you disable it, versus the g5's ctd fix does not once unticked. But they would both involve restarts.

So can the cfg files, they just repopulate automatically when you start the game again. It really shouldn't fix it, but sometimes they get corrupted. No harm in deleting them tho. Yeah if you don't like the default settings in g5, don't use hardcore, takes away the ability to micromanage troops. Essentially you give orders and then watch them happen. I don't use that one either.

I've never messed with the map.rwn file myself, so I'd say finish the campaign for sure before you do. If your using the bugfix compliation i'm pretty sure g5's thing is included. At least in part.
    LOSTHIEF

Sucks it needs a restart, was hoping for more permament fix, i had another campaign battle CTD :/ But at least there is any fix so you can replay the battle. Thanks for helping.

sorry wasn't more help. Most of the battle ctd are reinforcement related (not all), so if you avoid those for the most part you should get by fine.
    LOSTHIEF