Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound Modification Tutorial (Not finished)

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: Sound Modification Tutorial (WiP)

Xenophonia already adds in a few more languages in addition to replacing some of the original ones. There is no hard-coded limit, as far as I know, and this is the reply I got from the devs when asking the same thing. You can, for example (I think), have more langauges than factions and then have a bunch of mercenary units with various languages that none of the actual factions use.

No, the game reads its original files first, and only looks for custom samples if none with the specified filenames can be found in the original data (this only applies to actual sound files (.wav, .mp3) though, not the text files). This is why I had to rename samples in Xenophonia from French to xFrench, for example, otherwise the game would keep reading the French files from the original data instead of from the custom library.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

hi Beiss

I'm busy trying to understand how I can change the Russian sounds in the Call of Warhammer mod into an English one. I downloaded the Russian voice mod, deleted the voice, SFX and the events.dat and events.idx files. I started the game and let it create new voice, events files but I didn't quit game in menu once if finished loading, but started playing right away (I didn't read your entire manual, silly me) and now I don't see any new events.dat files etc only the music files. So i cant delete it if I add english sounds and look if they work (the repacking part if I'm correct).

So, could you help me a little bit with my thoughts about this:

I guess I have to reinstall the old sounds (original cow sounds, which are basic kingdom sounds), install Russian sounds, speeches etc. delete the voice, events files, start the game and let it create a new one, quit from the menu and look if it created new events, voices.

If so,
    should I then insert the English voices, which I name the same as the Russian ones but with English spoken characters: for example Ork_enemy_player_reaches_gate_1.mp3 (in russian) I replace with Ork_enemy_player_reaches_gate_1.mp3 (in english) in sounds/voice/human/localised/battle_events. Delete voice, events.dat etc restart game, let it create new files, quit menu restart en look if it works?

I apologize if this sounds like complete idiot cravings. English is not my first language and this is my 2nd day of experience with sound modifications. Hope you can help me out with this. I just want to check if it is easy to swap the Russian implemented sounds with English mp3's or wav's. If so it's only copy pasting and then we have a little start at an English speaking mod for CoW.

You're help would be much appreciated.

Shuttle

Did you get the sound text files? Without them, the came can't create new dat and idx files.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Yes the Russian team already made the sound text file. I'm just copy pasting others wav. songs into the data/sounds map.

The game created new events, and voices a couple of days later when i played some games because all the voices/events reappeared . So I deleted them, replaced some Russian ork sounds with English ones, but i keep hearing the orks speak Russian when i try to test in a custom battle. That is teh right order right? delete events and voices en then insert new sounds , restart game quit menu and restart and test?

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. The sound text files are already premade they direct the event player attack ram tot he song Ork_player_attack_ram.wav

All I do is change the sounds with another Ork_player_attack_ram.wav and let the game build new events and voices files..
    Last edited by Shuttle; November 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

Ok. Do any of your new, English sounds work in any situation? Can you send me one of the sound text files, and one of the sound files that you know does not work?
    Last edited by Beiss; November 17, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12