Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Default Re: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Ok, I'll have a look into that. Am I looking for game textures or unit ones? I've not done much with unit textures for the new faction yet, so I'm inclined to the former. I've left unit textures until later for the other factions I've added and other than being invisible, they've worked okay.

EDIT: since I have a working mod, and a non-working mod, both of which use the same base game folder, logically, all the files in there should be working correctly, right? Presumably, then, it's only the files in the mod folder that are actually wrong in some way

Update:
    I've got error logging working now (yay), and the main error it's giving me for this is 15:12:26.031 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

Looks like you were right, though I've yet to work out which textures and where they are.
    Last edited by Differently Sane; May 23, 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: adding more, didn't want to double post

got problem, im getting the same screenshots as no the tutorial at the bottom, byzantine general and french flag :O
    help!

btw great tut

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Hi,
    I tried to add 2 new factions (flanders and jerusalem) at once and respecting this turtorial and any other tipps to add factions. I get no ctds or error in my log, but I cant see my new factions in custom or campain (Im aware only 21 factions can be displayed in custom battles, so I made mongols and timurids inactive)
    Maybe looking at the log gives you an idea.

I have the same problem when I try to start Factions Template, just cant see any new factions.

Thanks for helping

[EDIT]

actually they work only the symbosl are invisible. I took it from flanders mod there are only 24 tag files, he forgot the 48 files. Now I have "Could not open UI! Vid mem 224837376" when opening a battle, doesnt matter which faction or which unit.
    Last edited by Rammstein; May 30, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

fixed it again the Could not open UI! Vid mem 224837376 was because I had no modpage1.tga. Why is this so important?

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    fixed it again the Could not open UI! Vid mem 224837376 was because I had no modpage1.tga. Why is this so important?
    cause if you add a symbol that is in a file, and don't put this file... how do you expect the game to find it?
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Differently Sane View Post
    Update:
    I've got error logging working now (yay), and the main error it's giving me for this is 15:12:26.031 [data.invalid] [error] Insufficient video memory to load requested texture set.

Looks like you were right, though I've yet to work out which textures and where they are.
    it's usually strat map textures....these don't work from a mod folder as of yet so make sure if you've made new strat textures for generals, captains and such you have them in the data/models_strat/textures folder or something like that

@Ralendil
    thanks,
    yes your write I added factions for the first time and it was all kind of new makes sense. do you know any tool to edit .sd files?

@Ralendil
    thanks,
    yes your write I added factions for the first time and it was all kind of new makes sense. do you know any tool to edit .sd files?
    The one of Alpaca

You can get it here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1248

The tutorial is here:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=81326

But, I am pretty certain it is what you used
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Quote Originally Posted by bdotward View Post
    it's usually strat map textures....these don't work from a mod folder as of yet so make sure if you've made new strat textures for generals, captains and such you have them in the data/models_strat/textures folder or something like that
    I've not added any new textures, I'm just using the ones for poland at the moment. I'll double check my references though
    Last edited by Differently Sane; June 01, 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Hi,
    Im searching for the error but the log isnt helping me much maybe someone knows what this could mean. I think it has something to do with model_strat.txt but I cant find the error there, since he takes 2 seconds before crashing it seems its the file he loads after model_strat.txt. This happens when Im loading campain.

20:24:04.252 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_dhow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.252 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.252 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    20:24:04.252 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.252 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    20:24:04.268 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    20:24:04.268 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.268 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.268 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    20:24:04.268 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    20:24:04.284 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    20:24:04.284 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.284 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    20:24:04.284 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/character_pontus.rum is missing
    20:24:04.284 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/general_pontus.rum is missing
    20:24:06.705 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War hat einen unbestimmten Fehler entdeckt und wird jetzt beendet.
    Last edited by Rammstein; June 03, 2007 at 02:05 PM.

Hi,
    Im searching the error but the log isnt helping me much maybe someone knows what this could mean. I think it has something to do with model_strat.txt but I cant find the error there, since he takes 2 seconds before crashing it seems its the file he loads after model_strat.txt
    2 questions
    1/ Did you modified model_strat.txt?
    2/ Do you really use these lines?
    [log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error
    cause your log is long...
    Jean Rostand

1)
    yes I did modify:

texture flanders, models_strat/textures/ambasador_flanders.tga
    texture jerusalem, models_strat/textures/ambasador_france.tga

texture flanders, models_strat/textures/Spy_flanders.tga
    texture jerusalem, models_strat/textures/Spy_france.tga

etc...

the file ends with:
    "
    type pontus_named
    skeleton strat_named_with_army
    scale 0.7
    indiv_range 40
    model_flexi models_strat/character_pontus.cas, max

type pontus_general
    skeleton strat_named_with_army
    scale 0.7
    indiv_range 40
    model_flexi models_strat/general_pontus.cas, max
    "

so the pontus general is at the end no crash because of this file I think.

2)yes, the other warnings and errors are normal. They are from other working mods I interagted. The game worked also with all those errors before
    Last edited by Rammstein; June 03, 2007 at 02:17 PM.

Hello everybody, I tried to use this tutorial to add a faction, I followed the steps correctly but when I start the game, all I can see is the MIITW presentation, just before the introduction videos, and then the screen becomes black, how to solve the problem? Thanks for reply.

P.S: I'm french, sorry for my bad english.

a systemlog.txt could help to see whats wrong

Nothing on the systemlog. It took me ages to do that new faction and now it doesn't work .

I saw somewhere on the forum that the problem might be a text file, maybe expanded.txt, but I can't see the problem.
    Last edited by Trajan; June 12, 2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Merged double

Ok, I've not been able to figure out what the problem I'm having with textures is; is there some way I could upload all the files I'm using for someone more experienced than me to have a look at?
    I've done enough computer programming to know how hard it can be to find errors in your own code, but for someone else to spot them straight away.

Would this be a good tutorial for adding the Saxons?

A very usefull thing would be a zip file containg all the files needed for adding new factions of this turtorial. Inserting a test faction that can be easily changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitas View Post
    I saw somewhere on the forum that the problem might be a text file, maybe expanded.txt, but I can't see the problem.
    not really

it depends of the type of the error...

actually, I have no idea (like for Rammstein) what could be this error... but I don't think it could be expanded (for expanded.txt the errors provocate crashes when you have the campaiagn map, it means that you can start a new campaign...)

Maybe the log file could help... maybe..
    Jean Rostand

could someone be so friendly and insert in these vanilla files:

descr_character.txt
    descr_lbc_db.txt
    descr_model_strat.txt
    descr_names.txt
    descr_offmap_models.txt
    descr_sm_factions.txt
    expanded.txt

2 test faction maybe flanders and jerusalem

I think most error could be made there cause for all other files the error log shows what you have done wrong.

That would really be amazong but only if someone has time of course