Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Milos98's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

I think it doesent matter...
    Regards, Milos98

After completely starting over I found a problem when I first put on the mymod folders and I ran the bat. file(Not moddified) I found that I couldn't start a grand campaign and next to the faction name it says 1AD

I followed the tutorial, and I thought I was successful, until I tried to fight a battle in campaign mode. Auto resolve works fine, but when I try to actually fight a battle, the battle loads, the field is shown (but the textures aren't loaded), and then MTWII just exits afterward...

My log just shows this:

Code:
    20:05:05.269 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:05:05.269 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec  5 2006 version development ===
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:09:24.761 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by soccernut View Post
    I followed the tutorial, and I thought I was successful, until I tried to fight a battle in campaign mode. Auto resolve works fine, but when I try to actually fight a battle, the battle loads, the field is shown (but the textures aren't loaded), and then MTWII just exits afterward...

My log just shows this:

Code:
    20:05:05.269 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    20:05:05.269 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec  5 2006 version development ===
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    20:05:05.269 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    20:09:24.761 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Does anyone know what the problem might be?
    If I had to guess, I would say there is a problem with your textures. Check to see that they are located in the proper places.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Ahh, I figured it out!

After using the unpacker, I hadn't deleted data\descr_geography_new.txt and data\descr_geography_new.db . My battles don't crash mysteriously anymore.

thanks!

Great tutorial!

I have a question (not sure if it has been asked before, but this thread is sooo long).

Is it possible to add even more factions and simply choose not to use the old ones? If I add 30 factions, can use them all instead of the old ones?

The reason I'm asking is when you're working with a total conversion mod such as The Gathering Storm it would be far easier to be able to use the tag name "huns" for the Huns, instead of "mongols", for instance. Otherwise you'd have to learn which faction is which, so to speak.

Or is it possible to actually change the tag name, without adding a new faction?

Thanks
    Visit the Gathering Storm forums!

The Gathering Storm Project Co-director

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Bφhmen) (CZE)

Hi..

i have problem with descr_model_strat.txt and symbol at banner in game... my models (strat) dont work - game jist crash and symbol at banner in campaign have english - its bad.. how to change it?

thanks
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenskι fσrum o hrαch ze sιrie Total War

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I added a faction using this nice tutorial and with the help of lionskin's nice template
    However my game crashes before it even reaches the intro video.
    I just see the Medieval 2 total war opening screen and then it dies on me.
    There is nothing in the system.log either.

I may be wrong, but that sounds like a modelsdb file error. Have you made any changes to that file?
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    I may be wrong, but that sounds like a modelsdb file error. Have you made any changes to that file?
    Me or Methoz ??
    If me then no, I haven't touched that file(yet )

Methoz's Avatar Senator
    Bohemia (Czech: Čechy; German: Bφhmen) (CZE)

me? no... i want to some "graphic" changes...
    TotalWarForum.cz
    Česko-Slovenskι fσrum o hrαch ze sιrie Total War

well I tried putting Lionskin's template and my faction in 2 different folders.
    Using his template, the game starts however can't play the campaign(says something about unspecific error bla bla bla) and system log shows nothing either.
    However using my folder, the game crashes right when the opening screen pops up(no error message or anything).
    Now the strange part is that my folder isn't that much different from his.
    All I did was change the name inside the files from "factiona" to the name I want my faction to have.
    Also incluedes the files that the tutorial used but wasn't in his template.
    So I have no idea what is causing my game to crash.
    As I said, I followed the tutorial, it should work.

Default trouble with creating new faction

hi this is my first post but ive been trying to use a tutorial at this forum for a while now. the tutorial ive been trying to use is DukeofSerbia's Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step at

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79274

ive tried about ten times over. i go through the fourteen steps and then every time i try to play a campaign either the game crashes or my new faction doesnt appear on the faction select screen and if i try to play another faction it just goes back to the menu. once this happens i reinstall medieval II and try the tutorial from the beginning again but every time i end up with the same results. i think ive done everything thing right so i have no idea where i went wrong. if somebody could help me it would be a big help. i have the files that the tutorial says to alter in a .zip file. if somebody could take a look at them to help me get it right would be cool. if you can help post it here or you can email me at
    karbumky@msu.edu

also in the folder i added system.log and a file "read_this_first" that explains what how i changed the files

thanks

Default Re: trouble with creating new faction

Try moving finland from playable to unlockable in the descr_strat.

-John G. Hartung

I haven't had time to go that deeply into your files, but I think you are having a problem with your relatives. The game seems to have problems with an unmarried faction leader in the descr_strat. Try adding that code and see if you have better luck. It would look something like this:

character_record Adela, female, age 17, alive, never_a_leader

relative Kyle Karbum, Adela, end

(Copy and paste from one of the other faction entries, not from here, since the formatting will be wrong)
    Last edited by Gundug; May 16, 2007 at 07:26 AM.

thanks for the help guys but i tried it and it still didnt work so i changed all the files back to how they are after the original installation and installation of patch 1.2. I also used the unpacker. im guessing that it would be easier to alter another faction than to add a new one. i still have the files i altered in my first post so i can change it back to that if anyone has been looking at the files and knows how to fix them. if not i was wondering if it is possible to alter denmark so i dont have to make a new faction just change an existing faction. if you can i want to change the name from Denmark to Finland, i want to change the main color red to blue, and i want to change the names of the characters in the faction. since there are only a few things i want to change im guessing that this would be a much easier way to get the faction that i want to play. If anyone can give me directions on what files i need to alter to do this and how i need to alter the files that would be great.

thanks

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hi Guys

Great I have added Ireland, and this is working on about my 10th go!

Has anyone worked out why when a character is adopted they die straight away?

thanks
    BR

Ralendil's Avatar Semisalis

Notice:

Update I

RTR Fan wrote this:
    Quote:
    About banners, to see them, just place descr_banners_new.XML in your main MTWII folder. It will not work from a mod folder.
    NOTICE AGAIN:
    Put descr_banners_new.XML in your main MTWII folder!
    This is no longer true with the patch 1.2

EDIT:
    Something I have discovered :p
    If you want to add a strat model, you can use the old ones of BI and RTW
    As I don't have a CAS editor, this is really helpfull at least for me.
    I really hate when things look like half done.

For the ones that don't understand what I speak about, it is this line in descr_sm_factions.txt
    Code:
    symbol						models_strat/symbol_portugal.CAS
    This line commands the game the picture that will be displayed when there's no unit in a town, or when you are far away of the town to see if there's an army in it.
    Last edited by Ralendil; May 21, 2007 at 07:39 PM.
    Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god.
    Jean Rostand

Current Mod for S2TW: Sengoku Unit Cards

I've been trying to add a new faction based on this tutorial, and unsurprisingly run into a few problems. I'm trying to add a Bohemian faction from scratch. Currently, when I start up the game, I can select them on the Grand Campaign menu (I've even got campaign maps for them), I then get the video of the monk chappie, and then the loading screen. However, when the loading bar fills, the game pauses for half a minute and then crashes without a word.

As for the mod itself, I started with DeZzErX's Lion of Flanders mod (which works fine by itself), and then added factions for Burgundy and Aragon based on the Normans and Saxons slots. I have a working mod including all three of these. I have then tried to add Bohemia to the mix, following the steps in this thread and a few others for adding units, and it doesn't work.

I'd post an error log but for some reason, it's not creating one. I've added

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt level = * error

to the .cfg i'm using to run to the mod, but my medievalII\logs folder is empty. There is a system.log.txt file in the medeivelII folder itself, but that hasn't been updated for nearly a month, so it claims. I even added a system.log.txt file in the empty folder, but it mysteriously disappeared. Once I can fix that, I can get a proper error log, and see if that helps.

I've tried everything I can think of and I'm stumped. Has anyone had similar problems, or have any suggestions for things to try?
    I've gone through the .txt files repeatedly for typos and the like, so I'm fairly confident it's not that (although I can't rule it out).

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Sounds like you've specified a incorrect path for a texture.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.