Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Default Re: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator_Maximus View Post
    I have been using Duke of Serbia's guide to make a new faction. Unfortunately after I did all the steps, my faction did not appear the list of playable factions at the Grand Campaign menu. Than when I try to play any of the other factions, it just goes back to the Single Player Menu. When I restore the files I changed to their originals, it goes back to normal. :hmmm:

I have gone through the steps and have found no mistakes. If you have any idea how to fix I would love to hear it, especially from Duke being his tutorial. Thanks.

Here are the files that I changed. My faction is called romans with The Roman Empire being its campaign name. Hope this helps.

And here is some more...

And the rest.

Merged quadruple post. Please use the edit button next time. - Trajan
    If you reupload the files I can take a look at them and find the mistake. But without that I can't really diagnose the problem. The only advise I can give you, is that the going back to the single player menu is usually caused by a mistake in the world folder (most likely descr_strat).

Tsar Stefan Dusan IV's Avatar Loonatic on the loose!!

As I said 7 posts earlier, descr_strat.txt is the problem...
    Once You upload the files again, I'll check them, too...

Thanks Trajan, I had actually tried to get a reply in for this thread but some reason couldn't type it.

Anyways here again are the files I changed. Hope it helps. Oh and don't mind the numbers in the titles, thats just how I origanize my modded files from the original. And when your looking in the export_descr_buildings.txt and export_descr_unit.txt I only tweaked the Italian Militia unit for my test.

And here are some more...

And here is the rest.
    Last edited by Archaon; August 21, 2009 at 05:31 AM. Reason: triple posts
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

Creator of the Byzantine Enhancment Mod
    Version: 1.4

Sweet already made the Norwegians.

Works Perfectly on Custom Battles? My computer just crashed
    Last edited by Trajan; February 16, 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

Okay I have made in an interesting discovery. Duke suggests deleting the map.rwm file in data/base. I did this and to my suprise it is still there. I do it again and its still there only its size is smaller!!! My dad (he works with computers) tells me that the computer recreates the file when I delete it. This could what my problem is, so perhaps take it into consideration.
    I speak Latin to God, English to my friends, French to girls, German to my enemies, and Japanese to my PS2.

I took at look at your descr_strat and noticed a couple things:
    1. The coordinates placing your leader are wrong. Florence is located at (142,100). I am not sure where (131,92) is, but if that position is invalid, that could be causing problems.
    2. The faction creator of Florence is set to spain. I am not sure if that causes a conflict, it actually might not, but whenever I assign a province to a faction I set it as the faction creator.
    3. You are creating a rebel army on top of where you placed your leader (131,92).
    4. You are creating a rebel army on top of Florence (142,100).

Then in descr_model_strat:
    • You link the roman priests and cardinals to tga's that don't exist in vanilla. If you made the tga's yourself make sure they are in data/models_strat/textures in your root data folder not the modfolder data folder.

The error is descr models is a biggy. Also the last two errors in descr_strat are huge. If you fix those it should work and I strongly recommend fixing the first two descr_strat errors I mentioned.

It would be very helpful if you posted your error log if those fixes don't correct the problem.

Works Perfectly on Custom Battles? My computer just crashed
    You can only have 21 factions enabled for custom battle. If you want to use a new faction in custom battles you must first disable a vanilla faction from custom.

Okay I have made in an interesting discovery. Duke suggests deleting the map.rwm file in data/base. I did this and to my suprise it is still there. I do it again and its still there only its size is smaller!!! My dad (he works with computers) tells me that the computer recreates the file when I delete it. This could what my problem is, so perhaps take it into consideration.
    The .rwm file regenerates itself when the .exe is launched. The game engine compiles all of the information contained in the tga's in the base folder into the .rwm file. If you change any of those tga's you must delete the .rwm and let the game regenerate a new one (thats why he said to delete it, although there is no need for anyone following the guide to do so as the guide doesn't change the map). It is like how you have to delete the strings.bin files then the game regenerates the strings.bin files from the txt files.

Thank you DarkKnight but unfortunately I still have the problem. I changed the coor of my character to the location of Florence and deleted the rebel army that was there. I'm pretty sure I did the texture file right, I just simply copied the tga file I need and renamed it fit my faction.

Heres the system log, set at when I try to start a campaign.

Expected start date of campaign or battle.
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_timurids.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_timurids.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_normans.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_normans.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_saxons.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_saxons.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_slave.tga is missing
    21:40:10.328 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    21:40:10.390 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing

Sounds like I'm missing some files and maybe I have to add the Normans and the Saxons to the game? Thanks for your hard work.

This looks like it actually may be an easy fix. According to the log you didn't copy over the entire contents of the imperial_campaign and base folders. If you use a modswitch it is mandatory to copy over the entire base and imperial_campaign folders. Copy them over and try.

If you already have those files copied over... then its back to the drawing board.

And you don't need to add Norman/Saxons. I just made 5 factions today for my Mercantilism TW mod (see sig) and you don't need them. The guide covers all (well...most) of the scripting things. I know how to get all the symbols and everything in. I plan on making a complete guide soon but I have just been to busy with my mod along with school, work, and college admissions.
    Last edited by DarkKnight; February 14, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Its strange that my computer would be having that problem. Its been working fine when I left the original desr_strat file with its tweaked version (they had different names however so that my tweak would work). So I removed the the originals out of the imperial_campaign file which I left. The base I haven't done anything in minus the map.rwm so considering you said it doesn't what I do with that file I restored the original. However after all of this its still doing it...

But I made an intersting discovery from the system log. Apparently the only thing its reporting wrong is this.

15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_timurids.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_timurids.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_normans.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_normans.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_saxons.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_saxons.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_slave.tga is missing
    15:28:20.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    15:28:20.312 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing

When I try to start the game I just select England to see if it works. Perhaps it can't find the tga files? I will look into it till you answer back.

Its been working fine when I left the original desr_strat file with its tweaked version (they had different names however so that my tweak would work).
    You cant rename the files

Right click the file, select properties, uncheck "read only", save the file, re-check "read only".

Do all the files have to be like that or just the ones I change? I checked the Read-Only to all the files I changed and the problem is still there. The system log hasn't changed either.

Do all the files have to be like that or just the ones I change? I checked the Read-Only to all the files I changed and the problem is still there. The system log hasn't changed either.
    If I understood you correctly, you were not able to figure out how to save the read only files such as descr_strat without doing a save as. So to get around this you saved the files as a different name. Then you tried to run the mod with the files named differently.

If you uncheck read only then you can save files like descr_strat without having to do a save as. Then recheck read only after you save. If the file does not have read only checked in vanilla, then there is no need to check read only. I think it is just the text files in the world folder that have read only checked.

But the key underlining point is that you cannot rename the files. The files must keep their original names.

I'm a real noob at modding so I'm going to try to understand this read only thing.

So I should just uncheck read only, change the file, save over the original, and than check read only? I at least know in the world of modding you should keep the original files somewhere. So should I keep the originals somehow? Thats what I was doing with the modding, saving the files as say descr_strat 2 showing it had been changed, so than I would name the original to descr_strat 1 and the #2 to descr_strat. So if this is causing the problem should I just simply erase over the original files?

Boy do I say noobish...

I'm a real noob at modding so I'm going to try to understand this read only thing.

So I should just uncheck read only, change the file, save over the original, and than check read only? I at least know in the world of modding you should keep the original files somewhere. So should I keep the originals somehow? Thats what I was doing with the modding, saving the files as say descr_strat 2 showing it had been changed, so than I would name the original to descr_strat 1 and the #2 to descr_strat. So if this is causing the problem should I just simply erase over the original files?

Boy do I say noobish...
    So I should just uncheck read only, change the file, save over the original, and than check read only?
    Correct
    I at least know in the world of modding you should keep the original files somewhere. So should I keep the originals somehow?
    The game engine is told to look for a file exactly called descr_strat.txt. If you call it descr_strat2.txt, then you might as well call it asdfkljasdlfjasdil.txt, it means the same thing to the game engine. In order for the game engine to recognize the file existing the file must be named the same.

You should also always back up the originals. But don't do this in the same folder that you are modding in. Each person has their own methods but this is how I set up my MTW folder.

1. Inside my MTW folder I made a folder called Backup. I unpacked all of the files to that folder, then also copied over the 5 originally unpacked folders to it. So in that folder I have each and every original file.
    2. I like to use modswitches for my mods. So then when I create my modfolder I copy the files that I want to mod from Backup to the mod folder.
    3. If I do any IO switch mods I create a mod folder for it anyways. When I want to use the mod I copy the files from that mod folder into the root data folder. When I am done with the mod, I delete the files from the root data folder.

Thats what I was doing with the modding, saving the files as say descr_strat 2 showing it had been changed, so than I would name the original to descr_strat 1 and the #2 to descr_strat. So if this is causing the problem should I just simply erase over the original files?
    Just save the file. Go to file save. Press "control"+"s". Simply save the file. Don't save as or rename the files.

Let me first say how grateful I am for all the help you have been giving me, considering what I'm sure takes some time out of your busy life. Many thanks.

Okay, I believe I have this system down. Whenever I mod a file, I should just simply erase over it and have the originals when I need them. Got it. I put all the originals files that I tweaked into folder called Backups (I hope plagerism isn't on your mind ) so now all thats in there is the modded files.

Now the problem is still occuring. One thing I found was that all my files have the Read Only checked off (except of course those files that I had modded), which could be a side effect of my file renaming project. Is it possibly that the computer is having a hard time reading these files and so thats why its been a hassel for a week?

If that read only thing isn't anything, I might just start from scratch and with this knowledge you have given me I might make it work this time.

Okay I looked back at some of the previous messages and you had said that a reason for the problem could be that the files in base and imperial_campaign hadn't been completely erased over. Well doing the Read Only thing I put back in the originals, than erased over those with the new ones. Well that didn't work...

The only file I hadn't looked at was the base file. So I went in there and looked at some of the files. One thing was my faction wasn't in the descr_sounds_music_types file. So I added my faction to the southern european section. desr_regions file I found that my romans were also not in there, so tweaked the Florence_Province to say it was owned by the romans. And that still didn't work...

Heres what the system log said, which apparently it has new problems. I'm guessing those are my doing or perhaps what I did revealed the real problems?

10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_timurids.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_timurids.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_normans.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_FE.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_normans.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_saxons.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_saxons.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/map_slave.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/base/map_slave.tga is missing
    10:35:53.250 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    10:35:53.312 [system.io] [warning] open: data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/leader_pic_england.tga is missing
    10:36:04.500 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/text_border.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    10:36:05.484 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing

PXZyan's Avatar Ducenarius

WOW WOW WOW and a bit more WOW

I actualy got it to work..I am for ever in your death

I have compleatly started from scratch to make Ireland an actual faction..and I have done it...the campaign works and I am Ireland

I had very little problems which is odd..this is my first time modding the game so iam very glad I actualy done it.

I have also made the Galloglaich unit available to buy for the irish but cant get the Irish Kerns to work because it says Irish Kerns are not reconised as a unit?? any help here would be great.

Also..the units only appear as peasants but in battle they are the proper unit " thankfully " I did know this would happen but I have no idea how to give the units there actual pictures..how do I do this??

Thanks in advance, excelent tutorial man.

Good job and boy how lucky you are...

Anyways you may want to consult a adding units guide, since Irish Kerns I think are only a Scotish unit which means you need to do some extensive tweaking. Theres a tutorial for that here in Tools, Tutorials, and Resources.

Yea sorry to hear about your unlucky adventures..most of my problems I faced were in descr_strat..as a matter of fact..every error was based in there...I had 1 error that did not allow me start up M2TW....heh..I forgot to put a " , " at the end of ireland for recruiting archers....1 little thing like that messed up the game lol.

I still have much to do..I actualy just tryed a battle...go figure ..a problem shows its self..well..not really..the units are invisable :hmmm:

I know its easy enough to sort this out..but ive got no idea how to deal with this yet..firstly..I must figure this out..then figure out how to add the irish kerns to ireland..then I must figure out how to use the actual unit pictures...then finaly learn how to make compleatly new units..I am not going to give up on this..I will make a fully working and perfect faction by the time iam finished

Good luck with your faction.

hmm ive just run into a problem...when the campaign starts..the hungarians are gone..it comes up telling me that this faction is no longer around..I did not even touch them..thats very weird..