Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If America is an evil country, why doesn't the world stop it?

Default If America is an evil country, why doesn't the world stop it?

Now, before you call me a troll, I have come across probably every anti-American thing the internet has thrown out there; I'm pretty sure you know what these are so I won't be going through them anymore and I just got tired of it one day and this question popped into my mind.

If America is such a terrible country and the world feels so wronged and so hateful, why doesn't the world put aside its differences, unite and stop it like what the allies did with Germany and Japan? Or, just to be sure that it cannot harm the world again, destroy it, carve up its lands and redistribute them equally?

It is only one country after all and I've read numerous times that not even the most powerful nation can take on the world.

Why does the world let itself get pushed around and then complain about it?

If Europe, Asia, Africa and all the rest united against it, everything people complain about it would probably end.....

And if the world doesn't want to do this, why does it bother complaining then?

Default Re: If America is an evil country, why doesn't the world stop it?

Anti-Americanism is fundamentally rooted in envy. America is simply the scapegoat of nations. People look at America and see the greatest and freest country in world history. They want their country to be like that. They want to live as Americans do. They want to be as rich and important. They want every major invention to be made in their country. They want every country in the world to look to their country for leadership. They want everyone in the world to imitate their culture, their movies, their music, their literature. They want every person to follow their politics. They are dripping with envy and resentment. That's why America-haters spend an inordinate amount of effort dissing America. When these people rant about American poverty, crime, imperialism, consumerism, immorality or some other nonsense, they are merely trying to convince themselves that America isn't great. That's also why they spend all day "advocating" for America to imitate the world. They wish America were as atrocious as their own countries. Misery loves company. But of course they're just lying to themselves. If you offered them a green card, they would take it in a heartbeat.

America is here to stay. If all the armies in the world massed at the border, God himself would strike them down.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

That is precisely why the slimy concern trolling of America-haters should be completely disregarded.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

And if the world doesn't want to do this, why does it bother complaining then?
    I whinge about the weather - I don't think its going to change...

Of course the US is going to attract complaints it simply is the richest and most powerful nation alone and it holds (at least until tRump) its closest allies who are powerful in there own right close. The post WW2 international institutions designed by the US and UK benefit them (and the West more broadly). Thus on balance the US has had since the end of WW2 the US has had as a nation the greatest range of freedom of action in the world, the strongest military and generally the freedom from any physical threat at home. Of course other nations are going to complain . Dr Legend is sugar coating how great the US is. Many of its deep flaws be it the legacy of slavery, increasing wealth inequality, high poverty, and a political system that needs several types of reforms are not always visible to other nations or they don't care because it is just the fact of US power that is their problem. If the USSR had won the cold war or survived and reformed, If China supplants the US nations will rail about them as well. Don't worry Noam Chomsky will pull himself out of his grave if he has to rant about China exporting its police state system, corruption and bribery and environmental destruction to Africa etc. in the future.
    Last edited by conon394; January 05, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Man gets triggered by some troll created nonsense he's read on the internet, and obviously the next leap in logic is to assume the rest of the planet thinks the US is evil.

Right. No flaws in that thinking at all...

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Don't worry Noam Chomsky will pull himself out of his grave if he has to rant about China exporting its police state system, corruption and bribery and environmental destruction to Africa etc. in the future.
    I wonder why Washington does not simply label China as a fascist state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I whinge about the weather - I don't think its going to change...
    Yeah but there is nothing you can do about the weather, there is something you can do about them...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post

That is precisely why the slimy concern trolling of America-haters should be completely disregarded.
    Yeah but some of them do have serious allegations though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Man gets triggered by some troll created nonsense he's read on the internet, and obviously the next leap in logic is to assume the rest of the planet thinks the US is evil.
    Well I do come across it often on YouTube and I've come across it for years so....

It's like a wife complaining that his husband is abusive everyday, of course you'll get tired of listening to it and you'll ask her why she doesn't leave him?
    Last edited by NorseThing; January 08, 2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: consecutive posts by member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    Anti-Americanism is fundamentally rooted in envy. America is simply the scapegoat of nations. People look at America and see the greatest and freest country in world history. They want their country to be like that. They want to live as Americans do. They want to be as rich and important. They want every major invention to be made in their country. They want every country in the world to look to their country for leadership. They want everyone in the world to imitate their culture, their movies, their music, their literature. They want every person to follow their politics. They are dripping with envy and resentment. That's why America-haters spend an inordinate amount of effort dissing America. When these people rant about American poverty, crime, imperialism, consumerism, immorality or some other nonsense, they are merely trying to convince themselves that America isn't great. That's also why they spend all day "advocating" for America to imitate the world. They wish America were as atrocious as their own countries. Misery loves company. But of course they're just lying to themselves. If you offered them a green card, they would take it in a heartbeat.

America is here to stay. If all the armies in the world massed at the border, God himself would strike them down.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

America is neither the greatest nor the most free in world history. With several thousand years of world history and catergories as vague as "greatness" and "freedom" it's not hard to find counter arguments and mire that discussion.

Also America's current position of power is a recent post-WW2 event and American "freedoms" are within living memory and still hotly contested such as gay marriage. In the UK a gay or transexal soldier has the right to marry, recieve a married quarter and have the same benefits of a heterosexual couple in any part of the UK. A right not so universal in America.

Within the last 50 years it was ilegal for a black person to marry a white person in America and don't get me started on historical American atrocities.

Anti-American sentiment is based not on envy but as a reaction to American arrogance and their unfounded belief that they are the best and that their social/political models are the best. This view has taken a real beating with failures in Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

America is one of the most powerful and arrogant nations at the moment and takes the same flak the British, French and Spainish did at the height of thier power.

Also be careful of claiming that every major invention is American, I am tempted to make a list to deflate that ego of yours.
    Last edited by 95thrifleman; January 13, 2019 at 05:37 AM.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@95thrifleman

Come no do be nice you are going to hurt feelings if question American exceptionalism and sense that we are a gift from god, do no wrong, everyone was asking for it etc and Americans get a bit testy about loosing in Vietnam (you are going to make somebody invariably point out the we won all the battles etc. Many Americans are bad at dealing with small colonial wars that simply stopped being worth it and were never really worth it unless you e get an easy win. I wonder how the west would have looked if the UK or France or Prussia had decided to aid the locals not being so cool with manifest destiny)

America is one of the most powerful and arrogant nations at the moment and takes the same flak the British, French and Spainish did at the height of thier power.
    Don't forget the Dutch, China, Rome, The Caliphate, A whole list great river Empires before...

I would say that America does deserve credit after WW2. In that instance with unparalleled power and wealth and not being battered by the war its actions were a historical outlier. Add in the residual of FDR one off good neighbor policy to step away from bullying central america and I think we can earn better than worse in the eyes of a fair judge of Great Powers. Now the cold war marred that. And the (Forever) War of Global Terror has marred much more.

But at the end of the day the US is power - so it gets it way on many occasions. That is obviously annoyed so people will complain. The people or nations it really shafts will really complain. But the US is not so bad such to unite people in unified opposition and remove it. Because at the minimum most people can't really agree who should on top instead.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

@95thrifleman

Come no do be nice you are going to hurt feelings if question American exceptionalism and sense that we are a gift from god, do no wrong, everyone was asking for it etc and Americans get a bit testy about loosing in Vietnam (you are going to make somebody invariably point out the we won all the battles etc. Many Americans are bad at dealing with small colonial wars that simply stopped being worth it and were never really worth it unless you e get an easy win. I wonder how the west would have looked if the UK or France or Prussia had decided to aid the locals not being so cool with manifest destiny)

Don't forget the Dutch, China, Rome, The Caliphate, A whole list great river Empires before...

I would say that America does deserve credit after WW2. In that instance with unparalleled power and wealth and not being battered by the war its actions were a historical outlier. Add in the residual of FDR one off good neighbor policy to step away from bullying central america and I think we can earn better than worse in the eyes of a fair judge of Great Powers. Now the cold war marred that. And the (Forever) War of Global Terror has marred much more.

But at the end of the day the US is power - so it gets it way on many occasions. That is obviously annoyed so people will complain. The people or nations it really shafts will really complain. But the US is not so bad such to unite people in unified opposition and remove it. Because at the minimum most people can't really agree who should on top instead.
    America does deserve credit for WW2, but even then most Americans quickly erode that with arrogant and unfounded claims that they pretty much won it on their own. This pisses off the Russians and British as it completely ignores the fact that no one nation could of won WW2, it took all three main allied nations to work together.

Two of my "heroes" are George Washington and John Adams, great men with great ideas. Sadly America has devolved into factionalism and military aggression that makes it an inheritor of Europe's flaws rather than the promise of a nation that could learn from them.

America does deserve credit for WW2, but even then most Americans quickly erode that with arrogant and unfounded claims that they pretty much won it on their own. This pisses off the Russians and British as it completely ignores the fact that no one nation could of won WW2, it took all three main allied nations to work together.
    I meant in organizing after, no claim of some solo victory.

I meant in organizing after, no claim of some solo victory.
    Oh aye. The Marshal plan was America's greatest legacy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 95thrifleman View Post
    Oh aye. The Marshal plan was America's greatest legacy I think.
    I would also say the more broadly the post war world order. Given the state of every other power, the atomic advantage, etc it would not have been unexpected (world history wise) for the US to have opted for a far more heavy handed parasitic world order. That does not get anywhere justifying Dr Legend type posting. I as an American find that kind of uncritical American Exceptionalism annoying at best and dangerous at worst.

I would also say the more broadly the post war world order. Given the state of every other power, the atomic advantage, etc it would not have been unexpected (world history wise) for the US to have opted for a far more heavy handed parasitic world order. That does not get anywhere justifying Dr Legend type posting. I as an American find that kind of uncritical American Exceptionalism annoying at best and dangerous at worst.
    I'm incline to agree. Military misadventures aside, America has done a good job at trying to lead by example as opposed to enforcing a world order.

The times when America has used it's military it has tended to end in failure and America needs to stop seeing regime change as a solution, Iran is a perfect example of this.

However America has been a force for good in many ways.

Without a doubt, American influence in the world post-1991 was mostly negative. Of course, most should be done to erode the "world order" US tried to establish over these years, and hopefully it would come to fruition very soon. At the same time, we see positive change coming from within (election of Trump, who managed to stabilize situation in Korea and bravely sending troops home from unwinable illegal wars in Middle East), however the problem of American alliance to Israel and Gulf theocracies still exist.

Unilaterally assured destruction.

election of Trump, who managed to stabilize situation in Korea and bravely sending troops home from unwinable illegal wars in Middle East), however the problem of American alliance to Israel and Gulf theocracies still exist.
    Except for the one in Yemen and general backing of the house of Saud. Except for the war his man Bolton wants in Iran, Except for all the ones in Africa and hey double the rate of drone strikes. How long is the great love fest going to last when Bolton manages to get Trump to notice Kim has done basically nothing toward the goals all the hawks he appointed want?

Unfortunately, the world doesn't align with your black and white simplicity. This is not star wars, where the emperor is pure evil and the rebellion pure good. No country is "evil". Moral judgements are subjective; it's OK to be a porn"star" in the west but not OK to wear a burkha, whereas in the middle east it's OK to be a subjugated and chatellised female but not OK to wear a bikini. Nations are complex amalgams created across time and space, with history and technology and culture and war and everything else strung out through (in some cases) millennia. There is no list of "evil" nations, whatever your rather juvenile worldview might be (hey don't despair, George W. had the same viewpoint at a ripe old age). Yes, many things the US does might be considered "evil"; so would many things every other nation does, indeed every individual does. But there is tremendous "good" which also emanates from the US, and even a cursory glance at US history shows the eternal conflict between these two forces being played out. The progressive thing to do is to support the rational progress being made at every level,be it personal/familial, regional/local, national, or international/global. Hopefully, you'll understand that no matter how much all of us love this forum's eponymous games, the real world isn't a round of Total War.

Globalists are evil. I agree.

Except for the one in Yemen and general backing of the house of Saud. Except for the war his man Bolton wants in Iran, Except for all the ones in Africa and hey double the rate of drone strikes. How long is the great love fest going to last when Bolton manages to get Trump to notice Kim has done basically nothing toward the goals all the hawks he appointed want?
    I agree that US should stop backing Saudi Arabia and house of Saud should be removed from power. It is quite clear that best thing to do geopolitically is leave it to Iran to maintain stability in the region. Korean situation is far from resolved, but only fanatical Democrat cultists would think that Trump did tremendous progress compared to his less competent predecessors.

the anti americans in the west are just a few leftists, but the governments are pre-american, even the leftist ones, because everyone realises the futility of seriously opposing the USA. In third world, south america, china, russia and such, people also hate USA and so does their governments, but their problem is that they're weaker/poorer so they can't do much anyways. But most important reason is that there simply is no "world" that can do anything, there's just countries, each with their own interest. and high on the list of every country is "don't start a war with the USA because they are the richest and mightest country and also has nukes". yes, this applies even to countries like russia and china, because killing yourself along with everyone else isn't that much better than just dying alone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast