Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Praeses

Default Re: US Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Well my wife pushed the send (CV) button on several high dollar corporate suit science jobs. If the government won't let her do research she is starting to think maybe its time to cash in and stop caring about public service. This kind of thing is extremely hard on scientists - were so much work is collaborative. At least two papers will be pushed back if not lost which be even more really hard on post doc and graduate students who need a solid publication record out of just a one or two year appointment. And of course the lost of work impacts collaborators in industry and academia. But hard core Republican trump supporters don't care about science anyway.
    Good luck to her and you.

I recently re-read that weird Atwood's "Oryx and Crake", hell of a scifi novel with a dystopian corporate future (much better than Handmaid's Tale, which is OK). There's a few offhand comments about the early 21st century backstory the government failing by making itself irrelevant, and corporations stepping in to fill the void. I occurs to me that if you wanted billionaires to rule the US directly without the impediment of sham democracy a good first step would be to put a bozo in the Oval Office and let him play with the controls until he broke the state.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Of course you can break any system by simply inserting 'if we put a bozo in charge' into the scenario. Is Trump that bozo for you? Fine. Not really about the partial shutdown though. Trump is not even the cause of the shutdown. We elect individuals to Congress. They collectively have not done their constitutional duties. Individuals can point fingers all day at Trump to no effect regarding budgets and appropriation. Congress is the cause and Congress can cure the problem.

Great job by Trump. Hopefully this will escalate so that we can finally solve the liberal problem.

I think you mean "Liberal Question".
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

It's not a question anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    Great job by Trump. Hopefully this will escalate so that we can finally solve the liberal problem.
    First, what are are insinuating when you talk about escalation?

Second, what are talking about when you mention the liberal problem? Is there some permeating force that is united in some agenda to take down the United States? An evil collective who is motivated to destroy happiness and human progress perhaps?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    PBS poll shows Trump approval up to 50% with Latino adults:
    Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/another_narrative_falling_apart_trump_surges_19_points_in_poll_with__latinos.html

Your really did not read the whole poll did you?

Answer from Race = Latino [Jan 10-13th]

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as president?

Approve 50%
    Disapprove 46%
    Unsure 4%
    There is point from your article – first question page 1, But you could should have read the rest

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Donald Trump is doing as president? [And, would you say you strongly
    approve/disapprove of the job he is doing or just approve/disapprove?]

Strongly Approve 29%
    Approve 22%
    Disapprove 4%
    Strongly Disapprove 41%
    Unsure 4%

Thinking about the 2020 election, do you definitely plan to vote for
    Donald Trump for reelection as president or do you definitely plan to
    vote against him?

Definitely for 27%
    Definitely Against 58%
    Unsure 15%

What I find interesting is in the Break out question in the second poll the the movement looks like this [previous poll number]

Strongly Approve 29% [12%]
    Approve 22%[19%]
    Disapprove 4%[22%]
    Strongly Disapprove 41%[41%]
    Unsure 4%[5%}

Personally I find it odd that disapproval would nearly vanish while the vote for Trump 2020 number tracks with the previous poll results for overall disapprove not sudden collapse in the disapproval number.

Its frustrating because the overall survey changes most of the questions I'm not sure you use it a time series. A different question set will almost certainly color the answers you get. At this point since vote against Trump numbers did not alter for Latino adults I see an anomalous data point. That you can't really analyze until the next poll in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by conon394; January 19, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Personally I find it odd that disapproval would nearly vanish while the vote for Trump 2020 number tracks with the previous poll results for overall disapprove not sudden collapse in the disapproval number.

Its frustrating because the overall survey changes most of the questions I'm not sure you use it a time series. A different question set will almost certainly color the answers you get. At this point since vote against Trump numbers did not alter for Latino adults I see an anomalous data point. That you can't really analyze until the next poll in 2 weeks.
    This is why I find this more interesting. I look for a trend instead of a number out of a bunch of polls:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Trump proposed DACA+ an extension for another thing, Dems didn't even listen. Great. It proves my point that discussion is futile. Trump should just call them traitors to the nation and tell his voters to prepare for war because the other side is evil.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Trump proposed DACA+ an extension for another thing, Dems didn't even listen. Great. It proves my point that discussion is futile. Trump should just call them traitors to the nation and tell his voters to prepare for war because the other side is evil.
    Which he could have had 1/2 years ago you know when the republicans ran the whole government. You really don't get the environmental and E Domain issues involved in Trumps pointless venture. The Other side is evil wait that sounds like Mitch McConnell not having a hearing on Garland. About time the democrats grew a pair and stooped pretending there was a happy pink pony land of centrism that includes a racist like steve king because I know we all need to take his views seriously.
    Last edited by conon394; January 19, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Let them negotiate when the government is open.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Anyway Trump had offered an extension of the legal status of Temporary Protected Status holders, it was rejected. Good. It was stupid to compromise to begin with.
    Last edited by alhoon; January 19, 2019 at 09:16 PM. Reason: continuity

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

So after previously voting in favour of a southern barrier, the Dems now don’t want Trump’s compromise on Daca because he wants a wall, which they don’t want anymore.

Nice.

You gave Israel under an Obama approved deal $40 billion, $5 billion for your own country (Israel actually has a southern wall) should be feasible.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Of course you can break any system by simply inserting 'if we put a bozo in charge' into the scenario. Is Trump that bozo for you? Fine. Not really about the partial shutdown though. Trump is not even the cause of the shutdown. We elect individuals to Congress. They collectively have not done their constitutional duties. Individuals can point fingers all day at Trump to no effect regarding budgets and appropriation. Congress is the cause and Congress can cure the problem.
    My post was silly I agree, I was upping the ante on an already silly situation. You are quite right there is a systemic problem and Congress is a big part if it.

The US has a robust system that can stand incompetence and poor performance, even deliberate ill willed obstruction. Both sides indulge in it, generally the Dems get a better run from most media: FOX Breitbart etc never manage to come across as quite sane whereas Obamas poor foreign policy was largely given a pass and few paid attention a the time.

This particular logjam is Trumps doing though, he even said so in the run up.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    I think something went wrong in your post.

Anyway Trump had offered an extension of the legal status of Temporary Protected Status holders, it was rejected. Good. It was stupid to compromise to begin with.
    You're saying Trump did something stupid? Has someone hacked your account dude?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

What he offered wasn't even what Dems were asking for (path to citizenship for Dreamers), just a 3-year extension to their protection - which from what I gather is being enforced by courts anyway because Trump didn't realise the US is a nation of laws and not his kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    What he offered wasn't even what Dems were asking for (path to citizenship for Dreamers), just a 3-year extension to their protection - which from what I gather is being enforced by courts anyway because Trump didn't realise the US is a nation of laws and not his kingdom.
    Legislation is the better route. Courts are not a good means to end political disagreements. This is why the Obama executive orders such as DACA are a real poor substitute for legislation (which even Obama could not get, thus the Executive Orders).

Congress needs to put on their collective big boy pants and get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

You're saying Trump did something stupid? Has someone hacked your account dude?
    ''You are sayin...?'' No.

By refusing to compromise, Democrats just shot themselves in the foot. It is interesting to see that Trump actually is willing to compromise and come up with bipartisan solutions, which comes in sharp contrast with his predecessor, who prioritized partisanship over his actual job.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    By refusing to compromise, Democrats just shot themselves in the foot. It is interesting to see that Trump actually is willing to compromise and come up with bipartisan solutions, which comes in sharp contrast with his predecessor, who prioritized partisanship over his actual job.
    To be fair, this is more a fudge than a compromise. Extending the Obama era executive order does not really change the dynamics of the DACA mess. If I were in Congress, I would insist on resolving the DACA mess completely and fund the dang wall.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    To be fair, this is more a fudge than a compromise. Extending the Obama era executive order does not really change the dynamics of the DACA mess. If I were in Congress, I would insist on resolving the DACA mess completely and fund the dang wall.
    Open the government.

Once open then put wall and permanent DACA in same bill. Permanent DACA. Not this three year BS. If DACA is only extended for three years then have the law written such that demo companies are sent in after three years and the wall is removed. Make the Wall just as temporary.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 19, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson