Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Default Re: US Government Shutdown

Shameful.

Explain it any time you wish.

The point is Ponti, don't enter into the debate as someone with Law knowledge unless you want to explain this crap. Back it or concede.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 16, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Your demand that the burden of proof rests with the non-moving party (of which your argument has absolutely no understanding), your insulting demands that those who do not reach your arguments in any case advance your arguments which the opposing party's arguments are "lazy" and [should] "go away."

It's like you're the super villain trying to brainwash the moderate moderates of the middle class to poison them against their own interests.

Lol. Prove your point and we'll stop denouncing it as absolutely bad and against the interests of everyone but the super rich.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; January 16, 2019 at 10:04 PM.

Not a peep about impeachment rules, despite being several posts in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Your demand that the burden of proof rests with the non-moving party (of which your argument has absolutely no understanding), your insulting demands that those who do not reach your arguments in any case advance your arguments which the opposing party's arguments are "lazy" and [should] "go away." It's like you're the super villain trying to brainwash the moderate moderates of the middle class to poison them against their own interests.
    You entered legally interpreting my post nevermind a post before mine at least 30 posts ago. You've been legally dicking with this thread for quite a while. Are you saying the burden of proof only applies to you when you want it to? Because you made a very whack claim about me but you still won't explain it. Which I find very hilarious. Because usually you're very willing to explain it. Fine. Ponti is a lawyer only when he wants to be. He's gonna dick with posters when he wants to. It's official. Most importantly, the lesson we learn. His knowledge is his own and he won't explain anything to anybody.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 17, 2019 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Insulting.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Not a peep about impeachment rules, despite being several posts in.
    Because it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    You entered legally interpreting my post nevermind a post before mine at least 30 posts ago. You've been legally dicking with this thread for quite a while. Are you saying the burden of proof only applies to you when you want it to? Because you made a very whack claim about me but you still won't explain it. Which I find very hilarious. Because usually you're very willing to explain it. Fine. Ponti is a lawyer only when he wants to be. He's gonna dick with posters when he wants to. It's official. His knowledge is his own and he won't explain anything to anybody.
    Base insults aren't worth replying to.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 17, 2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Because it doesn't matter.
    Then don't respond to it. You've responded to it and curiously avoided commenting on actual impeachment procedures, despite being asked to. We are probably at post #20 at this point, so again, what can we or can we not impeach President Trump for? Theoretically speaking.

Meanwhile you edited your posts in a pathetic attempt to remedy your positions lol.
    I followed this exchange from beginning to end, the edits are either so minimal as to elicit no change to the content of the discourse, or they simply aren't there. Why don't you answer the questions that you seem to be so knowledgeable about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Then don't respond to it. You've responded to it and curiously avoided commenting on actual impeachment procedures, despite being asked to. We are probably at post #20 at this point, so again, what can we or can we not impeach President Trump for? Theoretically speaking.
    Impeachment procedures? What impeachment procedures?

I followed this exchange from beginning to end, the edits are either so minimal as to elicit no change to the content of the discourse, or they simply aren't there. Why don't you answer the questions that you seem to be so knowledgeable about?

Because your argument has no idea what it is arguing about.
    Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; January 16, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

Do you even know what you are arguing about? Please, enlighten us.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

From the Mudpit rules: 1) Debate in good faith and respect other members.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

More casualties of the shutdown. Government executives are not getting a free military jet ride to whop it up at Davos.

The White House has canceled the planned delegation's trip to Davos, Switzerland, for the World Economic Forum, press secretary Sarah Sanders announced Thursday, the 27th day of government shutdown.

"Out of consideration for the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay and to ensure his team can assist as needed, President Trump has canceled his Delegation's trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland," Sanders said in a statement.
    President Donald Trump previously canceled his own trip to Davos. The Trump-less trip would have been led by Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, United States Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and deputy chief of staff for policy coordination Chris Liddell were also scheduled to travel to Switzerland for the annual economic confab.
    "Because of the Democrats intransigence on Border Security and the great importance of Safety for our Nation, I am respectfully cancelling my very important trip to Davos, Switzerland for the World Economic Forum," Trump tweeted earlier this month. "My warmest regards and apologies to the @WEF!"
    The annual conference brings together powerful executives, finance ministers and other members of the global elite.
    The announcement came hours after the President denied House Speaker Nancy Pelosi the use of a military aircraft for a trip to Afghanistan with a congressional delegation, raising criticism of the administration's forthcoming overseas travel, which had been scheduled for January 22 to 25.
    An overseas trip for Cabinet-level officials can be difficult to organize in the midst of a government shutdown. Some members of the advance teams are furloughed, making planning and logistics difficult.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/17/polit...cel/index.html

Probably a fallout from the related tiff with Pelosi getting grounded. For what it is worth, I hear there are commercial flights to Davos from many places that even includes flights from Washington DC and New York City. Ending these expensive group junkets may be a good side effect of the partial government shut down. Btw - Pelosi should be going to the war zones. Trump was wrong to cancel it.

I hear insulin is expensive. What a vacation!
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    \ Ending these expensive group junkets may be a good side effect of the partial government shut down. Btw - Pelosi should be going to the war zones. Trump was wrong to cancel it.
    Didn't stop Trump from using government funds to send Melania to Mar a Lago for the weekend for reasons.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Senator

I`ve recently read a study, that 40% of the US- Citizens don`t have 400$ sparemoney for emercencys... Can`t believe that, can our Americans verify this?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    I`ve recently read a study, that 40% of the US- Citizens don`t have 400$ sparemoney for emercencys... Can`t believe that, can our Americans verify this?
    Few Americans have enough savings for even a $1,000 emergency For context, if I only had a thousand dollars that would cover my rent and I would have five dollars remaining. Woo!

I remember recently reading an idiot Dotard supporter saying that all federal workers (especially ATC) should have enough for six months worth of savings, so any suffering they have while the manbaby further destabilizes the country is "their fault". This sentient piece of excrement, of course, does not care about the reality of life, nor do they realize that some of these federal workers are brand new and likely have very, VERY little saved up due to loans, moving expenses, etc...So how the hell are they supposed to survive this? And furthermore...the Republicans do not care at all that even their own constituents are suffering. They also are apparently gleeful over the federal government getting hamstrung and may not recover for decades from the brain drain into the private sector. Then again...I suppose the ones who claim they will weather this storm "fer da wall" all kind of deserve what happens to them in the interim.

These morons, who think that Trump is "for the people", are just as much out of touch with reality as the Hamberdler himself.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; January 18, 2019 at 12:10 AM.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Senator

Thanks TheDarkKnight.... never trust anyone that claims to be "for the people".
    I pity those federals.... and I salute those that are going to work nontheless. The creditscores of all those people will be screwed for years, that some good way to lift the motivation of your employees.

Six months worth of saving??? Even for me, as a typical German, this would be hard to take.

Blog Entries

Indeed.

Living at my current location in California my current situation would require me to have "six months savings" in excess of 10-12 thousand dollars. You could shave off a few hundred a month if I were to put loan repayments on hold due to the situation.

Rent is just about a thousand, car loan is 300, car insurance is already covered for the next few months, health insurance is 350 a month (yay...thanks end of ACA) food budget is about 100 every two weeks, gas is about sixty dollars a week, bills can vary...You get the idea. And this is assuming that nothing came up

Now, I work for the state government so I'm fine, but I DO understand the struggle a lot.

Edit: Speaking of which, Gavin Newsom has extended state unemployment benefits to TSA workers, meaning that California is now paying for Trump's shutdown directly.

I'm ing tired of California having to prop up and fix the mistakes that the yokel states make, directly or indirectly. We pay far more in taxes than we get back in benefits while the "taker" states complain about "takers" and their own up every year.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; January 18, 2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Thanks TheDarkKnight.... never trust anyone that claims to be "for the people".
    I pity those federals.... and I salute those that are going to work nontheless. The creditscores of all those people will be screwed for years, that some good way to lift the motivation of your employees.

Six months worth of saving??? Even for me, as a typical German, this would be hard to take.
    People get a lot of help from the parts of the government currently shut down. Nevermind the employees now not working or working for free. People both in and out of the government are hurting.

Here's the interesting thing about the high level arguments between the House and the President. The House's argument is roughly two public positions: "1) Let's open the government, 2) People who work should be paid for their work." Where Trump's position is roughly "1) Ok...we get that you want to open the government...but...butbutbut.... 2) And we understand that people should be paid...but...yea...but...really...there's this other thing...other factors....."

If you pick a big political fight, and you pick the terms in so doing that one of the main arguments of your enemy is "People who work should be paid" and you have to fight against that then...you're doing something losing.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 18, 2019 at 09:06 AM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

and may not recover for decades from the brain drain into the private sector
    Well my wife pushed the send (CV) button on several high dollar corporate suit science jobs. If the government won't let her do research she is starting to think maybe its time to cash in and stop caring about public service. This kind of thing is extremely hard on scientists - were so much work is collaborative. At least two papers will be pushed back if not lost which be even more really hard on post doc and graduate students who need a solid publication record out of just a one or two year appointment. And of course the lost of work impacts collaborators in industry and academia. But hard core Republican trump supporters don't care about science anyway.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

PBS poll shows Trump approval up to 50% with Latino adults:

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...__latinos.html