Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: US Government Shutdown

Senator

Default Re: US Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    Well, you're wrong, of course...when the year is up Trump will say that the shutdown was a good thing and his voters will love it.
    Not even MKULTRA is that good.

Did anyone address the issue that Trump could easily get this funding back before he lost the House? He had every means to do it for 2 years and he apparently didn't do anything about it.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Did anyone address the issue that Trump could easily get this funding back before he lost the House? He had every means to do it for 2 years and he apparently didn't do anything about it.
    Back then it wasn't a priority because Republicans were too busy saving poor oppressed billionaires from the burden of having to pay taxes as if they were peasants.

Once it became clear the Republican's might loose the house they realized they needed a rallying cry for their base to at least keep the senate. Then someone remembered Trump saying something about a wall. Since fear and hatred of the other is Republican's go-too strategy to rally the base anyway they decided to go with that, and suddenly it was OMG SCARY BROWN PEOPLE ARE GONNA GET YOU!!! and WAAAAAAAAAALLLLL!!! 24/7.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Well, you're wrong, of course...when the year is up Trump will say that the shutdown was a good thing and his voters will love it.
    Maybe not the ones waiting on the USDA
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    This is not an emergency shutdown. It is a funding shutdown.

You should also consider that most of the democrats who are refusing to fund the wall have already voted to build it. That includes Pelosi and Schumer.

The longer this lasts, the better it will be for Trump's overall objectives:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/s...dUPkoqSzkiiEBk
    Re: Dailycaller link what a nice piece of right wing delusion.

"Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks."

Gosh I feel so much safer knowing my food is not be inspected what could go wrong I'm sure the industry will step up stringent self regulation from managers that explicitly protected from their actions being perceived as costing profit.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Senator

@conon394: Seems like I have to read this nice piece to, sounds like comedy gold.

It is. Aside from just being what looks like fabricated red meat for US right, its fundamentally silly because its not like all its charges of inefficiency or whatever could not be found in some large US company, or this person has clearly never recently tried to use their health issuance (USA style) or auto insurance in the US. Try getting your appliance serviced under a manufacture warranty if you really what to see bureaucracy.

It also plays on the essential in a highly misleading way. For example the lowest possible number of people needed to run say weather forecasting are on staff /o pay. But all the science that supports them is shut down in every way and science is not something you pull out of your butt, it a plan and process and it dies in a shutdown. If you think FOX news is going to magically recreate that for free so you can go to a MAGA rally fine, but it simply not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Re: Dailycaller link what a nice piece of right wing delusion.

"Due to the lack of funding, many federal agencies are now operating more effectively from the top down on a fraction of their workforce, with only select essential personnel serving national security tasks."

Gosh I feel so much safer knowing my food is not be inspected what could go wrong I'm sure the industry will step up stringent self regulation from managers that explicitly protected from their actions being perceived as costing profit.
    Thousands told to go back into work without pay. So much for RIF rumors. Even though the RIF idea is bs regardless.

Renters facing eviction.

It is. Aside from just being what looks like fabricated red meat for US right, its fundamentally silly because its not like all its charges of inefficiency or whatever could not be found in some large US company, or this person has clearly never recently tried to use their health issuance (USA style) or auto insurance in the US. Try getting your appliance serviced under a manufacture warranty if you really what to see bureaucracy.

Pretty much any corporation and the government when it comes to spending money relies on the bureaucracy to slow things down and dot i's and cross t's. But when crap hits the fan they all also have emergency ways to just....bypass that bureaucracy.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 16, 2019 at 08:16 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Trump should be impeached for dereliction of duty, depending on how long this shutdown goes on for.

Come on Gaidin that just means we are a few weeks away from (efficient) industry self approval - what could go wrong in right wing pink pony land. I am sure the ghost of Ayn Rand will bless each and every product for a hefty price that if you were not a looser you could pay.

Kirstjen Nielsen designated the State of the Union a special security event, sensible. That in mind, Nancy Pelosi has delayed the State of the Union until Homeland Security and USSS are paid and fully staffed in order to properly plan and handle the special security event.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Trump should be impeached for dereliction of duty, depending on how long this shutdown goes on for.
    As much as I would love to blame Trump for everything bad that happens, reality and reason get in the way. Trump can cross his arms and pout about the wall and point fingers all he wants. But, in the end, Congress controls the purse and have the ability to over rule the President if they choose.

What should be happening right now, IMO, is that both parties should be brokering a deal which leaves out the President all together. If not for doing the right thing, then for showing that they actually have the ability to run the government. By leaving it all up to Trump to make a deal just shows the world that President has far more authority and power than the Constitution actually says they do.

So yeah, I do blame Trump for not trying to really negotiate and running out of rooms in a huff. I do blame the Republicans for all acting like puppets of the Pres. But, I have to blame the Dems for not just ignoring the President and trying hard to make attempts to cross the aisle to make some sort of deal which will make the American people actually begin to start trusting the gov again.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    So yeah, I do blame Trump for not trying to really negotiate and running out of rooms in a huff. I do blame the Republicans for all acting like puppets of the Pres. But, I have to blame the Dems for not just ignoring the President and trying hard to make attempts to cross the aisle to make some sort of deal which will make the American people actually begin to start trusting the gov again.
    The House has passed at least seven bills that would finance parts or all of the government which the Senate has ignored. So...speaking of that 'nothing' the Dems have done. That 'not just ignoring the President and trying hard to make attempts to cross the aisle...'. Guess which chamber is not negotiating. Guess which chamber is not opening the government. Guess which Majority Leader is on their knees in front of Trump just servicing him.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The House has passed at least seven bills that would finance parts or all of the government which the Senate has ignored. So...speaking of that 'nothing' the Dems have done. That 'not just ignoring the President and trying hard to make attempts to cross the aisle...'. Guess which chamber is not negotiating. Guess which chamber is not opening the government. Guess which Majority Leader is on their knees in front of Trump just servicing him.
    Then I will admit to ignorance based on access to information. I read like 5 different news agencies and, except for knowing about one of those bills, seven is something that hasn't been really reported on. My point is, this is not the message the public is hearing. If this is the case then the Dems should be holding the Congressional GOP's heels to the fire. Cut Trump out. By making this shut down about Trump alone, in some ways, castrates Congress.

The sad part is, does the American public even know this? Or has Gov turned into what the President vs the opposition in Congress?
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

To find a lot of it you basically have to search through the House's records as, yes, the news agencies don't put real articles out on it. You hear occasional bits on it from tv but that's about it. As far as blame, polls seem to drop about 45-55% of the blame on Trump depending on the poll, about 10% on congressional Republicans, and 30% on Congressional Democrats.

I think the latest amongst all the confusion since December is the bill for opening up the Financial Agencies: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hutdown-update

There's rumors for another bill to be voted on tomorrow.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 16, 2019 at 04:10 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post

Oh god, what a piss poor understanding of how laws work this is, not to mention recent history.

Eh. He could be impeached for any damn thing the Congress wants. Law only comes into play after he’s kicked out of office.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Eh. He could be impeached for any damn thing the Congress wants. Law only comes into play after he’s kicked out of office.
    I would't put it past the SJW controlled house of reps of course. I just don't know how many brainwashed dems we have in the house yet.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Yes. Let's impeach the President for what Congress cannot or will not do. That will solve everything.