Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Persian Empire awakens (AAR)

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The Persian Empire awakens (AAR)

Hello,

This is a concept off a draft novel and so am posting here. I am writing a concept version of where the Persians conquer the world in this alternate universe, and its low accuracy and more entertainment.

Games:
    Rome II
    Med 2 Americas
    Assassin Creed Origins
    Assassin Creed Odyessy
    Europa Universalis 4
    Total War Attila

Mods:
    Toon Total War all in one.
    Ancient Empires.
    HD Cities
    HD Campaign Lightening
    Aztec graphic mod
    ANS4 Battle Camera.
    Ancient Empires.

Plot:

Imagine if the world of Herodotus, Leonidas, Augustus and Caesar never existed.

The world of antiquity has changed for all eternity.

The magnificent Persian Empire has defeated the Spartans at Thermopylae and the Athenians at Marathon. Now, Persia has expanded into Europe, destroying the barbarian tribes to the north.

1000 years have passed. Technology has declined in many ways. The Persians still fight in the same way as their descendants did. The Bronze Age still truly prospers. They have learnt the art of navigating from the Phoenicians, expanded to Africa, and now rival the last two remaining powers. Egypt, and Carthage.

This series introduces three new characters: TARONISH, a rising colonel in the Persian Army. Nevadan, head of the 109th Immortal Legion. And Pantea, a daughter of the King Rushad.

The King commands Taronish and Nevadan, to travel to the New World. To find out what has been stirring ever since the first Phoenician ship set sail to the new world. And to wrest Chinese influence from the continent.

Historical accuracy is low, more entertainment.

The King commands Taronish and Nevadan, to travel to the New World. To find out what has been stirring ever since the first Phoenician ship set sail to the new world. And to wrest Chinese influence from the continent.

The Persian Empire in 480 BC:

Prologue:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Thermopylae, 480 BC.

Avadun spun his spear at the organized horde of the so-called Spartans, fighting off the Persian soldiers that disembarked from their ships reaching the beach. They were assembled in a shield wall fighting relentlessly against the Persian might. Avadun thrust his spear into the darkened sky, while the storm crackled behind him. The Spartans were waiting like feeble sheep. To be slaughtered. Two days of resistance had passed since the Persians had set their eyes on the fabled warriors of Greece. The cowardly Athenians ran away from their city, and only the Spartans, were the remnants of that failure that now stood against them. They represented the pride of Greece. The pride of Greece they were, for they were clowns in front of the Persian Empire.

Avadun and his men traveled a long mile from Susa, leaving their wives and sons. They weren't going to give up this second chance that Ahura Mazda had granted them. Revenge on the Greeks. Those pompous Greeks thought they were the best. The most refined. The most well mannered. They would learn what Persian sword and shield would be. And they would never forget it. Avadun had not forgotten how the Greeks had spilled his grandfather's blood and hung his body across the mountains of Ionia.

A reminder to the Persians that they should never dare to cross the Greeks. Avadun spat. Today the Greeks would suffer the same fate as well. They called themselves Greeks. Greeks? A simple name for a band of pathetic city-states that had nothing better to do than to fight each other. It was Greek agents that had betrayed his father, befriending him in the city of Tyre before his body was eaten and ravaged by wolves. The Greeks had shown no pity then. They had laughed like merciless dogs.

Today was a day the Spartans would never forget. Avadun banged his shield. The troops roared, desperate and lingering, ready to destroy the Greeks that had corrupted and infiltrated their empire. Rain poured from the heavens of Ahura Mazda. The Phoenician ship paved up and down a slow path among the mighty waves. Making ready to disembark on the shores of Thermopylae.

A wave splashed onto the vessel, some men flying into the distance taken away by the impact of the crashing waves. The skies darkened like demons flying with their horses across the sky. Only the angels of Ahura Mazda would come and vanquish them. The mountain path came into clear view as Avadun saw the other ships making their way towards the beach. The other ships carrying the Persian Army disembarked on the shore, directly proceeding to the top of the mountain. The Bloodsoaked Spartans waited for them, . A desperate last stand. A desperate pathetic attempt. A small contingent of the so-called Spartans. Men with bronze armour and large shields. Avadun smirked. If he'd ever cross an Assyrian with a spear, or a Phoenician, then these Greeks were no different. They stood with bright red plumes on the top of their helmets. Red and gold. Those were the colours of Xerxes himself. Avadun would bring the loot of the Spartans to the King. They would be discarded like rotten trash.

Avadun turned to his young friend who stood beside him clasped with shield and spear. Ara. The young man had been in an arranged marriage in Caramania before he was whipped into service. The wind howled against the young man's ears. Avadun roared over the sound of the heavy wind. 'Long way away from home isn't it boy?'

Ara nodded. 'Yes. Considering that we travelled over twenty thousand miles, I'm nervous. Those Greeks are crafty people. Wouldn't trust any of them if I was the last man on the earth.'

'What did the Greeks do to you Ara? To them, we are foreigners and invaders. And in their eyes, we will always be that.'

Avadun noticed the ship getting closer towards the shore. He turned to face his men.

'Persians! You have travelled miles across mountains and deserts. Every one of you is a father, a husband, a grandfather, a son. For years the Greeks have meddled into our affairs, pondering Persian against Persian. When our Great King commands, it is the will of Ahura Mazda himself. Have we not conquered the world? Have we not built an empire that has lasted for four hundred years? We come now to conquer and finish the Greeks once and for all. They say we make slaves of the Greeks.'

He paused as the men chuckled with each other. Avadun briefly smiled. 'Slaves? Greek fights against Greek. Greek fights with us against his city state. Now! Summon your courage men! By Ahura Mazda, I will have every Spartan on that mountain killed! They may be warriors, but when they see our culture, they will submit! They will surrender. And they will cower! To me men! When we disembark, we run up that hill and await. Spare none! Cut them down! The Empire will be victorious! For Persia!'

The men rattled their shields and cheered, whooping and taunting the Greeks. Avadun held his grip on his spear tighter.

The Greeks would dearly regret this day. And he would kill Leonidas himself.

It was hours later, that their ship was reaching the shore. Avadun and his men were desperately waiting to get out of the ship. Standing too long was tiring them already. The ship hit the beach with a thud. Avadun and his men jumped from the ship, landing onto the shore. They marched in an organised manner as hundreds of archers jumped from their disembarked vessels. Ready to pour a storm of fire upon the tiny Spartan force.

'To me! Single file rank!' Avadun shouted. Marching up the hill alongside thousands of Persians, the Spartans came into view on the top of the hill. Avadun turned to see the archers marching behind them to stop. The officers bellowed as they let loose a storm of fire arrows upon the outnumbered Spartans. They were cut down like kennel dogs. Rain poured down onto the hill. Fire raged across the mountain pass. The Spartans were slaughtering Persian after Persian, killing and sparing none. Avadun admired their bravery, but it was a foolish hope. No matter the beauty of their shields and helmets, they were nothing in front of Mazda's sons. Leonidas slashed a Persian in half with his sword, while banging a Persian with his shield. The King shined wearing the brightest golden armor that Avadun had ever seen.

'Shield wall!' Avadun roared.

His men arranged themselves into a tight formation. 'Hold your courage men! Spartans slaughtering Persians isn't a new phenomenon. We've dealt with the barbarian Scythian tribesmen, the Eastern barbarians, a bunch of bronze warriors should be the last thing in your mind! For are you not the King's men!'

His men roared with him.

Avadun thrust his spear at Leonidas. 'The Spartan King wishes to make a last stand to rally all of Greece to his side. I say, we drench his blood! We will kill him before he even has a chance to do so. Are you with me brothers? For our sisters, for our daughters, for our wives. We will destroy Greece if we have too!'

Chapter 1:

Persepolis, 1450 AD.

The cart rolled into the city's paved streets carrying the worst of the empire's prisoners. Terrible men that had commited crimes of horror, treachery and betrayel to the King. Rogues that should have never have been born. Night surrounded the city, enveloping it like Ahura Mazda wrapping a soft blue blanket on the city itself. No one cared for this cartel of prisoners. Not especially when dinner was being hosted by the rich nobles. Taronish said nothing. He had nothing to say. Only hatred was left in his heart. In the cart, surrounded by other twenty hostile prisoners, he did not think of anything else but hatred. Hatred.

The word burned in his body like fire. The word enveloped his body like a dark spirit possessing his body. And the word, finally would consume him. Only Ahura Mazda could guide this soul, who had been derived of the world's pleasures to the path of reptenece. The cart stopped. The door opened. The guards barked and yelled at the prisoners as they were led out of the cart. Fire torches surrounded the dungeon. A guard kicked a prisoner, while another guard punched a prisoner three times before shoving his face into a pot of boiling water. The scream of the prisoner echoed into the dungeon's cells. Taronish gulped as he was led out by a guard. Out of the dark shadows, a warrior came forward while the prisoners huddled close to each other.

'They know me as Sasa. The Great General of the Empire. The descendent of the famous hero Avadun that conquered Persia, killing the great Spartan King, Leonidas. You are here, because you have commited treason against the Empire!'

Sasa grinned, looking towards the Greek. 'So here comes the Greek eh? I always knew your kind would attempt to destroy the Empire.'

The Greek spat. 'Do you think I'd bow down to a piss-stinking Persian like you? Your people are weak in mind and in thought. We should never have lost at Marathon.'

'Bear in mind Greek, that we did not sack Athens. It was my grandfather called Avadun who begged with Xerxes to spare that glorious city. We conquered because your ancestors meddled with the Ionians! And look where that has got with you. Did we not introduce tolerance? Did we not introduce patience? Did we not let Greeks feel free to worship who they wanted?'

'So what? Greeks will never be slaves.' The Greek looked down with a somber look. 'Leonidas...sacrifice's was unforgivable. He died in vain. In vain.' The Greek roared with sadness.

Sasa grabbed a torch from the guard behind him. He moved, crouching down until he could see the bearded Greek in full view. 'What do you think Greek, would your people have done? Ionians raided into Persian lands. Did your ancestors think we would accept? Had you conquered the Empire, you would have spared no Persian. Now your people live in peace.'

'Greece...shall never die. We will take over your Empire and destroy it. I will see I kill every last Persian. Including your family.' He spat at Sasa.

Sasa punched him hard into the face and chuckled. 'You were long gone before you had a chance. To challenge the King of Persia? To challenge me?'

Sasa grabbed the Greek's neck. 'By infiltrating roots? You Greeks, as well as your latin cousins, have desired the riches of the East. By Ahura Mazda we will never do that. Think twice before saying that. Our roots are ever stronger. They cannot be destroyed. Your arrogance is full of emptiness. Tell me, who is the real spy? What is the Order of Xanthos? How many spies do you have?'

The Greek croaked. 'I will never reveal...never...'

Sasa roared into his face. 'We rule Europe! We rule that droggy island called Britannia. We rule the Germanic tribes. We rule the Barbarian tribes. Italy is split between us and Carthage. Do you think you're so intelligent Greek, that with your wit that you will destroy the Empire? The Egyptians resist us. I do not see a day that we will conquer them. But the men of Ahura Mazda forged their swords in the shrine dedicated to him before they set off to conquer the land of the barbarians.'

Sasa punched him before arising to face the other prisoners. 'See what an example will be made of this man when he is tortured. You are all prisoners not from petty rank. But of nobility and richness! I see ministers of the treasuary, of diplomacy, satraps. You conspired to destroy the Empire. It will never happen. Ahura Mazda is more benevolent than you lot. I can only hope that the afterlife is good for you...' he stopped before grinning. 'Because it won't.'

A guard came up to him and whispered to him. Sasa frowned before looking at the man called Taronish. 'Your name...its ugly. Who are you? My guards informed they found you at the house of a satrap when he conspired to destroy the King. He was killed by the time you were there. What are you?'

Taronish did not respond.

'Will you answer then?'

Again, no response came from him.

Sasa nodded. 'You either seem to have lost a great deal from your life. Or the world has become too cruel for you. I shall pray to Ahura Mazda to make sure you are guided onto the right path. Give him a better cell. I want to discuss with this man.'

Tarnoish let out a sarcastic chuckle. 'The Creator will guide me...but I fear I have gone too far in my path for vengenace. You will not be able to guide me. On the day I finally meet him, he will judge my life. We shall see then.'

Sasa swooped across to him. 'You speak! Ha! You speak!'

Taronish said nothing.

'A humble one? Or a rude and arrogant person? Which one are you?' He said. Sasa instantly arose.

'A man filled with a desire for revenge.'

Sasa grinned. 'Then you and I have plenty of talking to do.'

Hours later, Taronish found himself eating at freshly cooked bread that he had not eaten in a long time. Most of his life had been reduced to pitiful ash bread and burnt food. Over time his tongue had gotten used to the smell of burnt leftovers and scraps. He could not eat this food which had a strange taste in his mouth. Noticing around him, the cell was well painted. No odor, no smell. No dryness. Instead, he was sitting on a rug, and carpets surrounded him. The room was full of incense. And a statue of the Buddha stood in the center. Buddha's monks had come through into the Persian Empire through the silk roads. Perhaps it was there to guide the souls of the misguided. Tarnonish thought.

The table in front of him contained fresh milk and honey. Tarnoish dipped his bread in the pot of honey and eat. He then drank the milk. He had never thought that such a simple dish would bring him so much joy. No one had been nice to him. No one liked him. And here he was. Being treated favorably unlike the other prisoners. At least now he did not have to worry about being accompanied by hostile neighbors. The door opened and Taronish swept back. Sasa entered and sat down. 'I trust your quarters have been well provisioned? Everything is alright?'

Taronish nodded hesitantly. 'Yes...but why me? Why...all of this treatment?'

Sasa nodded, taking the bowl of milk on the table and gulping it. 'You should have been in a dungeon cell not reserved for traitors. But I want to know more about the Satrap Artaba. How did you reach there? What is your story?'

'He was nothing to me. I barely even knew the man.'

'But you are still not telling me the real purpose.' Sasa said putting the bowl down.

'Why are you here? You've fought in the army before. A record service against the Scythians, Bactrians, Indians though I don't know really. Indians and Persians seem to get along with each other. Barring that. You've fought against Greeks and Egyptians, and the Nabateans as well who now occupy half of that land. I can't see anything special in it. All desert and no farming soil. Wonder how they even live there. You've served in the Immortal regiment as well, saving the King's life against barbarian agents. 3 years of service and you've done that much.'

Sasa leaned in. 'Answer me. A man like you should have gotten promoted.'

'Petty politics.'

Sasa chuckled. 'Politics. The worst thing for a good man.'

'You've still not answered me though Taronish.'

'Are you not a Prince?'

Taronish did not respond.

'I see. You are a Prince then.'

'What makes you think I'm a Prince then?'

'Your hands. You may have been that exiled prince from the palace-'

'I am no prince. My hands are the work of manual labor. I know the farmers more than you do.'

'Yet those hands have touched gold, haven't they? You've been a thief Tarnoish.'

'So?'

Sasa chuckled. 'So? What do you mean so? You may have learnt the languages of the commoners, but you eat like royalty. You must have been a beggar from an early age so you did not each much. You eat this good food as if you had just enjoyed something delicious.'

'There is a contradiction in your argument.'

Sasa slammed the table. 'Exactly! Who uses words like 'contradiction'? Most beggars would have no idea how to eat exotic dishes! They would scramble all over the table yet you eat slowly.'

'I am not royalty.'

'Deny as much as you want your majesty. I'm just a servant of the Empire telling you this. The King has ordered to meet with you tonight. Clothes will be brought to your cell. Get ready.' He said, arising.

'What is the King?'

Sasa stopped. 'The King? What do you mean what is the King? He is the King!'

'There is no King in my eyes.'

'There is a King! Unless you want to end up like that fellow Greek, I suggest you comply with my orders!'

'A King is not cruel. A King is benevolent.'

'Sire, you are now royalty whether you like it or not. Accept it! The King has called for you tonight. Do not disappoint him. Who knows where you may end up one day? You could be ruling the whole Empire may Ahura Maza forbid it!'

'Perhaps.'

'Don't doubt. You have for far too long been shrouded in the negativity of Angra Mainyu's spirit.'

'And why would a complete stranger that I do not know tell me as if I was his nephew?'

Sasa stopped. 'Because I lost my wife. My children. All because of a satrap lusting after her. I've never been able to forgive myself sire. But I did not let Angra Mainyu, the manifestation of all that is evil, take me through his world. In those times, I stood with Ahura Mazda, and look where he has gotten me.'

Taronish asked, for the first time with sympathy in his voice. 'Do you miss them?'

'Of course I do. Every single day. If there was time, and if there was a way to stop it happen again, I would. Get rest. The King will call you on tonight.' Sasa said, leaving the room as he closed the door.

Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; December 31, 2018 at 06:24 AM.

Default Re: The Persian Empire awakens (AAR)

Nice! I will follow this!

Quote Originally Posted by karasis View Post
    Nice! I will follow this!
    Thanks!

Chapter 2

Taronish stood impatiently, waiting for the next second he could burst out of these wretched palace halls. This place felt alien and secluded to him. He was a commoner born on the streets. His life had been nothing more than ruin, misery and poverty. Over the years his life had accustomed itself to the harsh environment of the world. Moving from town to town, village to village, all he had ever known was how cruel the world was. It had removed his naivety for one, and second, it had made him the man he knew himself to be. One hundred halls of black columns enveloped him. It was the biggest piece of creation that he had ever marvelled at. From rumors heard in the villages, the Hall of one hundred columns had been a dream. A dream sent by Ahura Mazda’s finest arichitect. Tarnoish nodded. Those old fools had been right. He shook his head. No matter how fancy palaces were, they were just a façade from the rich to show that they were precious and noble. Precious and noble. Taronish knew just how exactly precious and noble the rich could proclaim themselves to be. They were arrogant, self-talking fools that would not hesitate to use the poor and discard them when need be.
    A hundred nobles and servants stood in the columns, packed like fishes. Two doors opened from the backside of the room. A noble contingent of the King, the Queen and their servants went to the throne and sat, while the servants carried cups of wine to give out to the nobles. Bells were rung by the noble priests, dressed in white robes wearing white crowns. Incense stuffed the halls. The Immortals quickly hurried to their station.
    Sasa stood beside Taronish. ‘Whatever you do, don’t do anything stupid.’
    Taronish chuckled. ‘Stupid. What would I do that would be so stupid Sasa?’
    ‘It’s like dealing with a difficult child whenever I’m with you Taronish. Do you honestly hate your family so much that you’d like to be exiled to the new world?’
    Taronish nodded. A prospect in the new world did sound exciting. But from stories he had heard from ex-soldiers who had served in the colonies, the natives were savages when it came to protecting their homeland. But he couldn’t give a damn about the Empire. For him, he needed a new lease on life. And the King calling him to meet him had just messed up his whole plans. ‘For what its worth Sasa, I think the new world would be a wonderful opportunity for me to demonstrate my talents to the Empire.’
    Sasa sighed and patted him harshly on the back. The Immortal Guards, pressed him forward. Taronish hadn’t noticed until he came in view of the King that his hands had been in chains. So much for the Empire’s tolerance towards criminals. Honestly speaking Taronish would have bribed the sergeant of the barracks to have allowed the criminals to escape. No one bothered anyway. The royal announcer droned on and on for what seemed like one hour. Taronish had almost fallen asleep before Sasa kicked him. The lowly thief scowled before he noticed the King’s glare facing him.
    Sasa hissed. ‘Bow before the King!’
    Taronish spat back, whispering harshly. ‘Bow? You want me to bow before this fat pig of a bastard?’
    Sasa nervously laughed before shoving him down to his knees. ‘You better keep your mouth shut before we end up being left in the desert for vultures! You will cost me my whole career if you keep this up!’
    The King’s voice boomed into the hall. ‘Silence! Arise Taronish, my son. You have been summoned for a very special purpose.’
    Sasa grabbed Taronish and pulled him up. Taronish struggled before two Immortal guards held him at bay.
    ‘This mission, should you wish to accept it, will take you to the new world.’
    Taronish chuckled slowly. ‘And why would I want to accept it from you? You are not my father. I have no memory, no recollection of what it is to be royal. I am a beggar. I was born on the city streets where no noble dared to give me decent food. Nor money.’
    The Queen huffed. ‘I knew he was never a worthy son anyway. He caused the death of my son, and I forbid the day that I ever gave birth to this…wretch.’
    The King glared at her. ‘You will keep your mouth shut. This is our son we are talking about!’
    Taronish laughed out louder. ‘Ha! I knew you ing rich bastards were no goods. In the halls of these marvellous creations, you, my ‘so-called’ father and my so-called mother insult me! What would Ahura Mazda think of that? Hmmm?’
    The King slapped his thigh. ‘Exactly like me aren’t you? Son, you can never come close to my intellect. I exiled you from the palace because you would have been killed! You were naive, and we had just encountered a brutal civil war. You learnt the way of the commoners. You are suited for rule.’
    Taronish shook his head. ‘And from what fairy tale did you hear of this? Just because I learnt-‘
    ‘I know. And I know the fact that the food you eat was nothing more than ash. Whatever water you could drink came from the stables. And the fact you’ve bribed over 100,000 officers in the empire. If you thought I had forgetton you, you are very mistaken.’
    Taronish fumed slowly. ‘What do you mean? You weren’t there.’
    Sasa kicked him again and whispered. ‘He means spies!’
    Taronish replied back. ‘Yes I know what he indirectly means but-‘
    The King intervened like a hawk going straight at the nest of snakes attacking its nest. ‘But it means that you have tried to forget your past. You must never forget your roots. Everyone knows that I was once of peasant stock. I’ve tried my best to reform this Empire but it will never succeed. My sons now are worthy generals, but none have the experience of the people as you do.’
    ‘And you think this is appriopirate to talk such important things in front of a beggar in the Hall of Xerxes?’
    The King slammed his fist. ‘You will not talk to me in that way boy!’
    ‘And if I may remind you, ing idiot, that I am not your son! You have me confused with the wrong person!’
    Gasps spread like waves across the court. Protests at the on-going barrage of Taronish soon began to clamour. The Immortals struggled to hold the people back before Sasa unsheathed his sword. Finally after a moment had passed, the King began to chuckle. ‘Hide your emotions boy. I’ve decided. You will go to the new world.’
    ‘And what if I don’t want too?’
    ‘Then you know it. Torture, or slave away like a beggar for the rest of your life. I have many more sons to take over, and I am not going to pass away soon. Even if you think that Ahura Mazda will judge you, he will be disappointed in you. Why you may ask? Because you achieved nothing. I rule an Empire that stretches from India to the cold island of Britain. When a ruler such as me offers you the chance of a renewed life, you don’t reject it.’
    Sasa nodded. ‘Of course my liege, I will apologise for the outburst of abuse that your son has-‘
    The King turned on him. ‘On the contrary, I have further decided. Taronish will marry the Princess of the Aztec Empire.’
    Silence spread across the court. Taronish struggled to even think of what the King had said. Him? A beggar marrying the princess of an empire that sacrificed their victims? The ex-soliders would be laughing their pants off when they heard of this. The King continued. ‘You will be sent as a delegation to make sure the Ming Empire do not marry their suitor off first. The Ming have begun encroaching on Persian colonies and we need a strong presence there. Sasa.’
    Sasa stood to attention.
    ‘You will accompany him to the colonies at a behest of a great fleet. I will have a million soldiers and settlers to reinforce the colonies at all costs.’
    Sasa nodded. ‘And what would have you me do my King? I will return when the trip is over.’
    ‘No.’
    ‘You will become a father to him. Since he refuses to accept me as one, you fit the role.’
    Sasa slumped. ‘But sire! You can’t leave me with this…person! He is a beast, a filthy-‘

‘Yes. And I know very well about you Sasa. You fight for glory, but when there is nothing you get lazy and soft. History will not judge me kindly, and Ahura Mazda will personally disapprove of my methods. But I know what I have made. Every decision I have made has been because of my own thinking. Civil war may erupt when I am gone, or it may not. I weep at the day inside that I forced him outside of the palace. But the Empire cannot remain to be ruled by corrupt nobles. We need change. And Taronish will do it.’
    ‘Now will you refuse?’
    Sasa was silently scowling under his breath at the prospect of being travelling with this bastard son they had plucked from the streets. There was no proof to even claim that he was the son of the King. But then again, the King’s sons were jealous of each other and wanted the throne. Someone that had experience of the commoners could unite the Empire for once. It was a dangerous risk. Taronish giggled uncontrollably before collapsing. Sasa smirked. The poor boy needed change. Suddenly an idea dawned upon him.
    Dasa. The Priest. His friend. That one talked forever and forever. He would be a perfect companion to him.
    Sasa bowed. ‘By the orders of the Great King, I will carry out your orders!’
    ‘Perfect. You leave in three weeks.’

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

San Felipe! Great to see you start an AAR! The Persian Empire looks mighty indeed. But do you think you can really overcome Greece? This...THIS IS SPARTA!

Can't promise you anything cos I have a real busy schedule now, but this AAR definitely looks good!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Thanks Swaeft!

The Persians do not need to look at a bunch of city states that think themselves arrogant and superior. We rule an Empire that will one day extend to the world! The Greeks can fight amongst each other, while we will strike! And take back what is rightfully ours!

Victory!!

Ha, though will keep updating.

Chapter 3: The Journey to the New World

Three Weeks Later...

Taronish held onto the decks, vomiting into the sea. The motion sickness had taken the worst out of him during their journey from Tyre to the glorious city of Carthage. He had heard of the great wars fought between Persia and Carthage, but had never expected that the two powers would form an albeit fragile alliance to keep the barbarian Italians and Greeks from revolting. He never thought it was possible. And yet, a simple beggar from the streets of a small town had been taken into custody by the King to be sent to the new world.

How the world worked in mysterious ways. Taronish's eyes widened. It had been raining for what seemed like weeks. No dry weather yet. It had seemed as if Ahura Mazda had sent the angel of water to accompany them. Taronish hadn't the most pleasant of comfortable stays after the debacle in the Court. He had servants dressing and cleaning him. Something which he hated. He had food served to him, while rich in nourishment, was full of sugar and salt. It was the main reason, Taronish had spotted, that so many nobles had fat bellies. Therefore he'd kept to eating small amounts of food. No matter how tasty it was, no matter how tempting it may have been. Sasa had been an annoyance ever since. He bossed the young man like an overgrown child. At one point Taronish had preferred wearing simple clothes's of a shop-keeper before Sasa spotted him. Ever since, he'd been forced to wear clothes that resembled a volcano of colours he had never been exposed too.

Taronish preferred the simple life. Palace life would be alien forever. He decided that much.

Taronish's eyes widened at the city of Carthage. A large beach spread out. A small shape came into view. Walls spread out. A temple at the top of the hill. He had never seen such a beautiful city. The storm raged. Lightening thrust into the sea. The light-tower of Carthage burnt brightly, a saviour to those small fishing ships that were holding back the forceful winds of the storm. He felt the harsh patting of Sasa's hands on his back as he jerked. He scowled silently, raging in his mind.

Sasa leaned onto the deck. 'Ever seen such a beautiful city such as that Taronish? That is the city of Carthage.'

Taronish replied sombrely. 'It seems beautiful.'

Sasa huffed. 'I don't know what's gotten into you but the evil spirit seems to possess more of your body day by day. You allow yourself to be consumed by negative thoughts boy. Don't get into that trap.'

'What else has life give me?'

Sasa spluttered. 'What else? Has not Ahura Mazda been grateful enough to grant you a new life?'

'To get slaughtered by savages in the new world?'

'Well not exactly. They aren't savages in that sense.'

Taronish chuckled slowly. 'We talk about savagery, yet I wonder what the Carthaginians would be thinking of us.'

'What does that matter to you?'

'It doesn't.'

'Well then shut up boy. Your father sent me to take care of you when I'd just be home lazing around all day!'

'Aren't you serving the Empire then? I thought the King kept an eye on you.'

'Of course he does!' Sasa said, before leaving and barking orders. 'Ready the sails! We make for port!'

And there, the Great Temple of Carthage stood in front of him. Taronish had been reading of the legendary Hannibal's exploits in Italy. The extraordinary general had inspired the Italic people, those oppressed by the Romans, to revolt against them. Rome had been burned to the ground. The senate of Rome's walls were taken down and melted into gold. Each of the pillars that held the temple was made out of Roman gold. Though it was dark, he could see many other temples surrounding it. The great Goddess of Carthage stood, overlooking over the city's fortune and fame.

When Hannibal had arrived into the city, a great triumph had been held for years. Sasa had been informing him of the latest war with Carthage which had ended in an incomplete result. Both powers had stretched their limits, and war had been encouraging their subjects to plan and revolt against them. As a result, the King of Persia and the Oligarchy of Carthage agreed to eventually cede war until a later date.

In reality it was for both powers to build up their depleted reserves and rebuild their bureaucratic structures of government that had become corrupt overtime. The entire fleet had been sailing for days, and today would be a day of stock-piling and re-furbishing the fleet before it set off to sail in the new world.

The ships disembarked into the shores as thousands of Persian troops poured into the city. The city was alive with the lamp oils being protected in their rectangular windows. The city was ready to take in the new force that would conquer the world. Taronish was over-whelmed by the sight of this new armada. A belching sound occured from the waves, as he turned to see the great navy of Carthage preparing to disembark. These were ways in which politics worked, and Taronish wondered how he even fit. The navy white triemes disembarked onto the shore, as the finest troops of Carthage, the sacred band came in their numbers. They too would be going to the new world.

Sounds broke into Taronish ears. Jerking from the sudden sight he had just seen, he turned to see the navy of Carthage pouring out from the giant harbour. A marvellous creation of beauty. Taronish had never seen anything like this. The legendary port of Carthage had been spread throughout all the Empire. Somehow he suspected the Carthaginian rulers had become aware of their fame after destroying the petulant city state of Rome. It had vanished into the books of history and had never been seen off since. The harbour of Carthage had been told off by various merchants who had visited the fabled shores of this magnificent city. It stood high and proud, like a mother holding a baby. The port itself was bustling with ships back and forth. Small and big. Trading ships to great big triremes went back and forth.

While the rain battered the city relentlessly, it did not stop the Carthaginian merchants from trading or preparing for an invasion. Shouting and harsh winds accompanied the atmosphere back and forth. Taronish had to arch his head backwards just to see the great port itself.

Finally the ship jerked as Taronish tumbled overforth.
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; December 28, 2018 at 11:59 AM.

Chapter 4: The New World

Sorry the amount of screenshots was too over-whelming, so I had to continue it here.

Screenshot 1 story:

The rain pounded down upon the giant port of the city. The ladders were laid out as the ship slowly stopped at the harbour. Ropes were being tigthened by sailors as troops clambered from their ships into the city. Nevertheless it attracted a large crowd of Carthaginians who watched on in amusement and awe. Never before had the Empire sent its glorious army to the very streets of Carthage. Taronish and Sasa walked down the decks before making their way to the tower of the port. Sasa had informed him that was where negotitations would be happening as the Temple was dedicated to worship the Goddess of the City this night.

And walking from to the port was indeed a very long way away. They kept walking through the streets. Taronish could not comphrened the amount of troops and immortals that had been summoned. Truly then, the King of Persia had meant to rebuild the colonies. They needed work. The other powers could have been preying on their colonies by raiding supplies. Perhaps now Ahura Mazda had changed his mind. Perhaps it hadn't. He didnt care for the petty squabbling of empires. Soon, they arrived at the temple of Baal that was on top of the great port. And his eyes bugled with awe.

The port was vast, holding up to two hundred and twenty ships. All docked, waiting to be supplied and re-stocked. Taronish had never seen anything like this in his life. A port such as this in the Empire? Impossible. But the people of Carthage that lived to the sea had managed to achieve such an impossible feat. It was astounding. To say the least. As he and Sasa, along with the Persian Delegation waited for the leader of Carthage, Antalaus to arrive. Taronish's heart began to beat faster and faster.

Anatalus arrived, wearing a gold crown. He wore a purple robe, as did many of the Carthaginian politicans. Sasa nudged Taronish. 'Bet you've never seen people like this before have you?'

Taronish pushed him back before he got glares from the other Persian leaders. He whispered. 'What do you think is the meaning of this?'

Sasa chuckled. 'I mean lad, you've not seen life yet. It has a lot more to give you. Those Carthaginians won't be the only ones you'll be facing when you meet the Aztecs.'

'What about the Mayans?'

Sasa turned on him. 'I thought you never heard of them.'

Taronish shrugged. 'Ex-soliders.'

'Ah...right. Shut up!'

Taronish sighed in annyonance as the Carthaginian delegation entered into the temple. A table was set out by servants as both sides took their seats and lamps were lit by slaves.

Anatalus began. 'It is a pleasure to meet you, fellow Persians. Friends and honourable allies of ours. You have made quite the journey from Persepolis and Tianoch I presume. The King has sent...an considerable amount of troops. May I ask what is the reason behind this?'

Sasa hopped in. 'Anatalus, you should have no reason to be worried. This is not a invasion for now but merely an extension of friendship during these times of trouble.'

Anatalus smirked. 'Times of trouble....I seem to remember how the Persians slaughtered a band of Carthaginian warriors that had surrendered only after entering their waters. And they used Romans. Romans.'

Sasa nodded. 'And I seem to recall Persians being paraded naked around the city streets of Athens by Carthaginian soliders. They were then hung and pelted at by the Greeks. That reminds me, what made you brought this up?'

Anatalus removed a golden ball from his robe and began playing around with it. 'You see....Persia and Carthage are two mighty powers in this small stretch of ocean. You control the rest of the world while we rule Iberia and Italia. I have ruled Carthage for 60 years and have a worthy line up of successors, that one being Bostar. But war is causing both our sides to stop this useless conflict.'

'I am in agreement.'

'Then tell me this.'

'And what would that be oh mighty leader?'

Anatalus slammed the table with his fist. 'What does the King of Persia think he is doing by sending his entire army to the streets of Carthage! Hannibal did not fight for a day when we would see a power from the other side, similar to us, but a foreign power parading themselves on the streets of Carthage!'

Sasa chuckled. 'You are too old. You should let Bostar rule.'

It was Anatalus's turn to chuckle. 'And let him rule? Never. Not until my last breath will I leave Carthage alone. It is a city that must be protected at all costs. I know what weaknesses Carthage has and it cannot be halted unless we cede war.'

'Then let us cede war. The King has sent me on a different mission.'

'Oh? And what mission would that be in particular?'

Sasa pointed to Taronish. 'This man. The recently discovered son of the King.'

Anatalus nodded. 'Ah yes....the bastard. And he's to marry the Princess of the Aztecs?'

Sasa shrugged. 'More or less.'

'I wonder how he'll do it. There's too many city states to name and he could end up with the Mayans instead. Take my advice boy. Don't get yourself too involved in politics. Find a nice woman and live your life as you see fit.'

Taronish gulped.

Anatalus grinned. 'Wild are you? Rebellious? Revenge? I've seen it all before. The new world...' he began to chuckle. 'Will be a good experience for someone of your age.'

Anatalus nodded. 'Well then. I'll allow your ships and troops to resupply and settle for now. By the morning you must be all gone.'

'Agreed.'

Four hours laters, the Persian troops were making ready to embark into the new world.

Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; December 30, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Finished new update coming soon.

Chapter 4: The New World

Post in construction

Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; December 30, 2018 at 05:48 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

It's great to see your new AAR and I'm enjoying your use of alternative history in which Persia defeated the Greeks at Marathon as well as Thermopylae. I wonder if there was a Battle of Salamis in your alternative time-line and, if so, how it turned out differently. I also wonder whether this more successful Persian Empire encountered Rome.

You started this AAR on December 27, and you have already posted four chapters, that's almost one chapter per day. I'm a bit worried that readers may struggle to keep up. It's good to see that, in chapters 3 and 4, you add spaces after lines of speech and after paragraphs, to avoid a 'wall of text' appearance.

Your screenshots look dramatic and I'm intrigued by the idea of a Persian expedition to the new world in the 15th century (if that is when it's happening).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    It's great to see your new AAR and I'm enjoying your use of alternative history in which Persia defeated the Greeks at Marathon as well as Thermopylae. I wonder if there was a Battle of Salamis in your alternative time-line and, if so, how it turned out differently. I also wonder whether this more successful Persian Empire encountered Rome.

You started this AAR on December 27, and you have already posted four chapters, that's almost one chapter per day. I'm a bit worried that readers may struggle to keep up. It's good to see that, in chapters 3 and 4, you add spaces after lines of speech and after paragraphs, to avoid a 'wall of text' appearance.

Your screenshots look dramatic and I'm intrigued by the idea of a Persian expedition to the
    new world in the 15th century (if that is when it's happening).
    Many thanks for your reply,

Certainly I will explore the two most famous battles of that time.

If it is 4 chapters per day, is it better to post one chapter per week? Atm I am stuck with ideas and not ideas. It is because while the Roman culture you can write a hundred stories, Pre-Ancient Persia has a severe lack of resources (feel free to correct me!).

Yep it is a Persian expedition to the New World which is quite hard to think off because the two cultures are completely different. Very hard.

This Persian Empire didn't invade Rome, Carthage just won, and therefore Italy was split between the two powers as both sides used Romans and Greeks to fight each other. Basically Rome never prospered.

As of now this will be the last update.

The 7th of Jan will be the next update.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A wonderful start to this AAR! An intriguing concept, a world without Alexander's and Rome's imperiums, no Greek hegemony nor any Latinisation of Europe. I always find these alternate history stories very entertaining and I shall certainly keep following this one!

Campidoctor

I just destroyed Persia und yet here you are - letting it rise and shine again, outstretching it's borders, bringing it from one exotic place to another.
    This is Alexander's worst nightmare.
    And certainly the start of a good AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    A wonderful start to this AAR! An intriguing concept, a world without Alexander's and Rome's imperiums, no Greek hegemony nor any Latinisation of Europe. I always find these alternate history stories very entertaining and I shall certainly keep following this one!
    Thank you, that's what I was aiming for here. Hope you enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    I just destroyed Persia und yet here you are - letting it rise and shine again, outstretching it's borders, bringing it from one exotic place to another.
    This is Alexander's worst nightmare.
    And certainly the start of a good AAR.
    Ha, how ironic isn't it? You just finished conquering Persia while I have resurrected it. Def.

Stay tuned for 7th update!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by San Felipe View Post
    If it is 4 chapters per day, is it better to post one chapter per week? Atm I am stuck with ideas and not ideas. It is because while the Roman culture you can write a hundred stories, Pre-Ancient Persia has a severe lack of resources (feel free to correct me!).
    It is an unspoken rule for AARtists (yes, you are one now, congrats!) to post not more than one update per week. I don't know who came up with this idea, but it caught on and it's now common law, and any who fail to adhere to it will have their view count hacked and reduced.

I am just kidding, it's more of giving your readers time to get caught up with the story and also giving them a sense of regularity (for example, it would be easier for them to stick with your story if you posted regularly at a certain timing or day every week - thanks Kilo11 for pointing this out to me!)

I am personally not against an AARtist coming out with 4 updates at once, I'll just read em all when I have the time. But if you are looking for chapter by chapter comments then usually a week in between updates would be a good general rule of thumb.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

@Swaeft,

I saw your post and agree. One update a week is better!

Will be updating. Post WIP reserved.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I like what you've done so far Felipe! It's very nice!
    If I can give you one very helpful criticism to improve your story, I'd implement prince Bagabuxsha and the sands of time to explain how new Persia came to be. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast