Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Generals/Harder Battles

Icon6 Stronger Generals/Harder Battles

After some testing and feedback from other players I have concluded that it's better to just put it public for players to try. This change will make the AIGenerals harder to kill and since most of the fight in EBII ends when the other army routs (which is historically correct), it will take longer for it to happen, making your battles a lot harder (I still didn't lost any because of it but had a really hard time to win and in at least two battles I had to target the AI General on purpose because otherwise I would have lost the battle).

Soo, what you have to do?

Open the export_descr_character_traits.txt with Notepad ++ and search for AIGeneral Hitpoints. Change it to +3 on all levels (you will have to copy and paste on the first line of the AIGeneral level because it doesn't have any additional Hitpoints there, on the others you can just change the value). If you feel its too much, you can later change it to other levels, but remember that you will find different types of AIGenerals and others will have other types of bonus that increase their Hitpoints, making you feel that it is too much when its not.

Change this:

PHP Code:
    Trait AIGeneral    Characters family    Hidden
        Level AIGeneral1        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  1
            Effect Command  1        Effect LineOfSight  2        Effect SiegeEngineering  50        Effect Attack  1        Effect Chivalry  1        Effect BattleSurgery  10

Level AIGeneral2        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  2
            Effect Command  2        Effect LineOfSight  4        Effect PersonalSecurity  1        Effect SiegeEngineering  75        Effect Attack  2        Effect Loyalty  1        Effect Chivalry  2        Effect BattleSurgery  20        Effect HitPoints  1
        Level AIGeneral3        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  3
            Effect Command  3        Effect LineOfSight  6        Effect PersonalSecurity  2        Effect SiegeEngineering  125        Effect Attack  3        Effect Loyalty  1        Effect Chivalry  3        Effect BattleSurgery  30        Effect HitPoints  2
    ;------------------------------------------ 
    To this:

PHP Code:
    Trait AIGeneral    Characters family    Hidden
        Level AIGeneral1        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  1
            Effect Command  1        Effect LineOfSight  2        Effect SiegeEngineering  50        Effect Attack  1        Effect Chivalry  1        Effect BattleSurgery  10        Effect HitPoints  3
        Level AIGeneral2        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  2
            Effect Command  2        Effect LineOfSight  4        Effect PersonalSecurity  1        Effect SiegeEngineering  75        Effect Attack  2        Effect Loyalty  1        Effect Chivalry  2        Effect BattleSurgery  20        Effect HitPoints  3
        Level AIGeneral3        Description Hidden_desc        EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc        Threshold  3
            Effect Command  3        Effect LineOfSight  6        Effect PersonalSecurity  2        Effect SiegeEngineering  125        Effect Attack  3        Effect Loyalty  1        Effect Chivalry  3        Effect BattleSurgery  30        Effect HitPoints  3
    ;------------------------------------------ 
    Don't forget to save the file after.
    This does not change you General Hitpoints (but since you're not the AI and usually don't send your Generals on suicide charges it won't be a problem at all).

If it doesn't crash, you will know that you have done it well

Lastly, it is not savegame compatible. You would need to start a new campaign.

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Stronger Generals/Harder Battles

Does it change your AI reinforcements?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbjerg View Post
    Does it change your AI reinforcements?
    Good question. I'm not sure because I almost never do battles with reinforcements.

I can't seem to find the AIGenerals trait anywhere in export_descr_characters_traits.txt (I'm assuming this is the one that's from the unpacker).

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Sun_Stealer View Post
    I can't seem to find the AIGenerals trait anywhere in export_descr_characters_traits.txt (I'm assuming this is the one that's from the unpacker).
    Did you search for AIGeneral or AIGenerals? Because searching for AIGenerals (plural) won't work

I did... I see traits like berseker and xenophobia and how they affect atk, hitpoints etc. but no mention of AIGeneral or even "AIG" for that matter...

OK, I found it. I was looking at the file under the original data portion of M2TW instead of EBII's directory under Mods.

When I try to copy the code from this thread to the file using notepad++, it pastes all horizontally spread out like it shows on here as opposed to the nice vertical organization of the text file. I'm worried I copied wrong.

OK, I found it. I was looking at the file under the original data portion of M2TW instead of EBII's directory under Mods.
    Yeah, that could be a reason too
    Have fun and write you feedback about how you feel with this change in your battles

It's been about a year (2.3) since I last played EBII. I just remember also being frustrated at ai generals dying right off the bat so that's why I decided to try this.

I just manually spaced out everything in the copied code to make it look similar to the entries above and below AIGeneral. Other than by feel acquired after playing for a while, is there another way to tell if I copied/spaced out the code correctly?

It's been about a year (2.3) since I last played EBII. I just remember also being frustrated at ai generals dying right off the bat so that's why I decided to try this.

I just manually spaced out everything in the copied code to make it look similar to the entries above and below AIGeneral. Other than by feel acquired after playing for a while, is there another way to tell if I copied/spaced out the code correctly?
    You will see the battles get a bit harder with this. I also tested giving 5 Hitpoints but it can be too much sometimes and I got many battles where the General was too strong. That's why I went for 3 Hitpoints, which seems to be a lot better.

Well, you didn't had to copy the code, you could just change the values in the level 2 and 3 and add a "Effect HitPoints 3" line on the level 1, but that's ok. The only way to tell that you copied and spaced it correctly is that your game doesn't crash. As long as you changed the numbers, you will soon notice it in battles.

What do the 3 levels of generals mean? Are they simply thresholds based on stars or are they reflective of exp chevrons? Either way, I might try +2, +3, +4 as stars get higher to make basic generals still tougher than before and make experienced generals truly frightening.

It is an hidden trait soo I never figured how the AI Generals got those levels, but in Very Hard campaigns it is more certain to fight higher level Generals. Probably Quintus or Kull know how to answer that.
    Yeah, that was also one of the things I wanted to try, so do it

Target text should look like this:

Code:
    Trait AIGeneral
        Characters family
        Hidden

Level AIGeneral1
            Description Hidden_desc
            EffectsDescription Hidden_effects_desc
            Threshold  1

Effect Command  1
            Effect LineOfSight  2
            Effect SiegeEngineering  50
            Effect Attack  1
            Effect Chivalry  1
            Effect BattleSurgery  10
            Effect HitPoints  3

Level AIGeneral2
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  2

Effect Command  2
            Effect LineOfSight  4
            Effect PersonalSecurity  1
            Effect SiegeEngineering  75
            Effect Attack  2
            Effect Loyalty  1
            Effect Chivalry  2
            Effect BattleSurgery  20
            Effect HitPoints  3

Level AIGeneral3
            Description Hidden_desc
            Threshold  3

Effect Command  3
            Effect LineOfSight  6
            Effect PersonalSecurity  2
            Effect SiegeEngineering  125
            Effect Attack  3
            Effect Loyalty  1
            Effect Chivalry  3
            Effect BattleSurgery  30
            Effect HitPoints  3

After playing a good chunk of the early Ptolemaioi campaign, I gotta say I'm having a blast on +2, +3, +4!

I legit question myself in the middle of some large battles whether or not I can pull off a victory now. Battle length is closer to EBI after the changes. I used to play EBII 2.3 with H or VH difficulty battles but I'm currently trying M and I find that this works fantastically with this little change. Units will rout earlier with more of their numbers intact and this makes a constant flux of incoming and outgoing enemies to deal with as the now longer battles develops. Elites will be holding the line and ensuring that there are lines for their fleeing comrades to still rally to. There is now a very real danger of overextending to chase fleeing enemies or flanking those stubborn elites.

Bravo good sir! I commend you!

After playing a good chunk of the early Ptolemaioi campaign, I gotta say I'm having a blast on +2, +3, +4!

I legit question myself in the middle of some large battles whether or not I can pull off a victory now. Battle length is closer to EBI after the changes. I used to play EBII 2.3 with H or VH difficulty battles but I'm currently trying M and I find that this works fantastically with this little change. Units will rout earlier with more of their numbers intact and this makes a constant flux of incoming and outgoing enemies to deal with as the now longer battles develops. Elites will be holding the line and ensuring that there are lines for their fleeing comrades to still rally to. There is now a very real danger of overextending to chase fleeing enemies or flanking those stubborn elites.

Bravo good sir! I commend you!
    As I said in the rep I gave you, thanks for the feedback! Indeed having the AIGenerals with more hitpoints makes battles a lot more strategic because you end up having to pull your card of tricks if you want to win.
    Battles not only become more challenge but the role of elites becomes more interesting because they will be the units that will hold the line and break the enemy. And the best thing is that giving Generals more Hitpoints doesn't make it unrealistic since they still can be killed quickly, just not that easy as before.

My only doubt is really about the +3 or 4+ Hitpoints on the third level. I have been playing with +3 but after your post I might try +4 Hitpoints.

Domaje's Avatar Civis

I might give a try to this change. But I was wondering : does all those additional hitpoints increase the times the AI general flees the battlefied before getting killed, compared to vanilla EBII ? That would be a nice improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Domaje View Post
    I might give a try to this change. But I was wondering : does all those additional hitpoints increase the times the AI general flees the battlefied before getting killed, compared to vanilla EBII ? That would be a nice improvement.
    It does increases the times AI Generals flee but what's better than trying yourself? x)

I noticed the AI flees more. And yea i seriously dont want to play without this ever again. All battles are much longer now thhat thhe general does not die in the first 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    I noticed the AI flees more. And yea i seriously dont want to play without this ever again. All battles are much longer now thhat thhe general does not die in the first 5 minutes.
    Indeed. The team increased the values, but not as much as I wanted x) Still, it is a lot better. EBII AI in battle most often sends their General right to the middle of my troops in the beggining of the fight, but since he is much stronger now, the AI General survives and retreats to fight in other places, it gives you a harder time for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast