Thread: Vanilla Naginata Samurai Have a Melee Penalty

Default Vanilla Naginata Samurai Have a Melee Penalty

Hi, everyone. I'm a semi-experienced modder but new to these forums.

Recently I was tweaking some stats and I noticed that Naginata Samurai were weaker than their stats would suggest. For example, I modded Katana Samurai, Yari Samurai, and Naginata Samurai to all have equal stats (11 attack, 12 defense, 6 armor, 0 charge bonus, 10 morale), then did some custom battles with one unit vs. one unit. For Katana vs. Yari, they were evenly matched, but for Katana vs. Naginata and Yari vs. Naginata the Naginata would lose every time.

I tweaked the Naginata stats to have 12 attack instead of 11 and tested again. This time they were pretty much evenly matched, so that led me to believe that vanilla Naginata Samurai have a melee penalty approximately equal to -1 attack or -3 defense (because in melee combat, 1 attack = 3 defense = 3 armor). This is probably to make up for the fact that in vanilla they have an extra 4 armor compared to Yari Samurai and Katana Samurai.

Has anyone else noticed this before? I couldn't find anything in the "db" tables to account for this penalty, so it could be something that is hard-coded into the game engine. I tested some other naginata units (like Naginata Warrior Monks and Warrior Nuns) and it didn't seem like they had the same penalty, but I need to test some more just to be sure.

Default Re: Vanilla Naginata Samurai Have a Melee Penalty

Maybe not a penalty but you have piercing and slash damage. Idk were they are asigned but check the kv rules. Maybe that Is affecting