Thread: My own mods don't work anymore.

Quasar5's Avatar Foederatus

Default My own mods don't work anymore.

After a year or two, I returned to Rome 2 and wanted to make a simple mod, like I used to do before. The problem is my own mods don't work anymore. STEAM Workshop mods work normally. My own mods show up in mod manager but there is no effect in game. Even when I simply copy a STEAM W. mod with a different name and add a modified file to it, it doesn't work in game, even the original, untouched part.

I just wanted to edit 2 things:
    - fame levels, to give more edicts and agents per empire level and
    - change subfaction traits for one of the roman houses in main campaign

I've got all DLCs installed. I use Pack File Manager 5.0.
    Does anyone have any ideas what am I doing wrong?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Default Re: My own mods don't work anymore.

Many things have changed within the last two years, so there could be different reasons why your mods do not work.

First of all, have you made sure that you enabled out-of-date mods in your steam mod manager?

It's also likely that your mods from two years ago are no longer compatible. Pack File Manager 5.0 is basically the version that is still in use, but do you have the latest schema for it?

It's now schema nr. 121 that you may download from here. Once you've done that open your mod, compare all the tables with vanilla pack and see if there any differences that may cause incompatibility issues.

There is no need to enable out-of-date mods since I don't use any. I tried to create a new one from scratch and use steam workshop mods that are up-to-date. I don't try to use any old mods that aren't updated.

I downloaded the schema nr 121 and made a new test mod just to see if it works.

I loaded just one file from data_rome2.pack: db -> fame_levels and edited some values (number of armies and spies per empire level) for main_rome entries (my guess is this is the main grand campaign but I'm not sure). I tried a few factions and it doesn't work in game.

The subscribed steam mod "Higher edict caps" works just fine in game but unlike other mods I previously subscribed that got downloaded into my data directory, I can't find where is the .pack file for this mod so I can't compare them.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar5 View Post
    The subscribed steam mod "Higher edict caps" works just fine in game but unlike other mods I previously subscribed that got downloaded into my data directory, I can't find where is the .pack file for this mod so I can't compare them.
    Due to a change with how Steam mods work, downloaded mods will now appear in a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\214950 (I think that is the correct number for Rome 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Due to a change with how Steam mods work, downloaded mods will now appear in a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\214950 (I think that is the correct number for Rome 2).
    Thanks! I found it.
    So it seems there's no problem with the table itself. After copying the "Higher edict caps" mod to data directory (and renaming it since mod manager auto delete original file after unsubscrybing) the mod didn't work in game any more (but showed up in the mod manager). It looks like there are some meta-data hidden in mods that prevent any non-Steam workshop mods from working.

Any ideas?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar5 View Post
    There is no need to enable out-of-date mods since I don't use any.
    So you've left that 'enable out-of-date mods' option unchecked? You've got to check it otherwise none of the mods that you place in your data folder will work.

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    So you've left that 'enable out-of-date mods' option unchecked? You've got to check it otherwise none of the mods that you place in your data folder will work.
    THANK YOU! This solved the problem.