Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 141 to 158 of 158

Thread: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

  1. #141

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    I asked you for your opinion, you decided to resort to cheap insults. I was last in the UK 8 years ago. You decided that since I lean conservative it would be in your best interest to enter the defensive zone.

    Erm, suffice it to say that if my political ideology could be summed up in any way it would be anti-Maoist?
    It's not enough to assert one is anti-maoist, if one spouts stream of conciousness political bilge in the manner of a little red book.Your posts are an insult,one was a hamster, the other smelt of elderberries. How on Earth can a rational person describe a racist whose party has squeezed the life out of Britain's poor and lower paid workers continuously for a decade as 'sharia' or socialist, it's ignorance beyond contempt.These posts do not deserve to be taken seriously.

    I reiterate what I said to in response to another pointless post.

    Kids need to be fed and educated properly to thrive, instead of being patronised by keyboard warriors. Hating ladies does not improve exam scores.

    Less gammon and more π please
    Last edited by mongrel; January 10, 2019 at 11:23 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  2. #142
    Himster's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, The Peoples Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,653

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Well we know that IQ (and educational success) is powerfully effected by genetic influences. Working class people generally have lower median IQs. When people with lower IQs breed only within their own group then it's not surprising that we see an accentuation of this genetic trait over time. Like breeding race horses, generation after generation, selecting the fastest to breed with the fastest: they get faster.

    Interestingly, despite class and the causal relationship between genes, IQ and success: Class is the number one phenomenon conspicuously absent from popular discussions on intersectionality. I don't think the drive for diversity and inclusion is the cause, but it is quite deliberately not helping for whatever reason.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  3. #143

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Well we know that IQ (and educational success) is powerfully effected by genetic influences. Working class people generally have lower median IQs. When people with lower IQs breed only within their own group then it's not surprising that we see an accentuation of this genetic trait over time. Like breeding race horses, generation after generation, selecting the fastest to breed with the fastest: they get faster.

    Interestingly, despite class and the causal relationship between genes, IQ and success: Class is the number one phenomenon conspicuously absent from popular discussions on intersectionality. I don't think the drive for diversity and inclusion is the cause, but it is quite deliberately not helping for whatever reason.
    Race science redefined. Are we now going back to the pseudo-science of Francis Galton, suggesting the poor are being screwed over because of genetics? Any excuse for the rich to line their pockets with grants and tax cuts.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  4. #144

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    The only thing we know is, that the today upperclass is less intelligent because of too much inbreeding and too much protegeeing their childs.
    Don't cite my old posts in Mudpit, i won't answer, because i left it because of the toleration and spreading of xenophobism and racism there.

    https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198105622520/myworkshopfiles/?appid=214950

  5. #145
    Himster's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, The Peoples Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,653

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Race science redefined. Are we now going back to the pseudo-science of Francis Galton, suggesting the poor are being screwed over because of genetics? Any excuse for the rich to line their pockets with grants and tax cuts.
    We have always had and will always have an underclass of underachievers, this is a simple fact. Who the underclass should be or inevitably will be is an interesting topic. If we want a society based on egalitarianism and meritocracy (which we do and have been progressing to for the last 300 years) then the members of society who contribute the least should benefit the least. All skills and abilities that our society needs/appreciates and will need/appreciate require increasingly higher intelligence compared to previous generations. "From each according to their ability and to each according to their need." Genetics is highly predictive of one's intelligence, which means that those who are genetically disadvantaged are being increasingly left behind: contributing less and therefore deserving of less. Humans are not magically exempt from scientific laws of heritable traits, we are mammals after all, not some super race of beings comprised of energy or some , no matter how much wishful-thinking we want to fling.

    What is the alternative to the naturally emergent ideals of egalitarianism and meritocracy? Dystopian stagnation from enforced equity? Rigid caste systems? Both of those have failed. In the end moderation wins out, like always.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  6. #146

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    We have always had and will always have an underclass of underachievers, this is a simple fact. Who the underclass should be or inevitably will be is an interesting topic. If we want a society based on egalitarianism and meritocracy (which we do and have been progressing to for the last 300 years) then the members of society who contribute the least should benefit the least. All skills and abilities that our society needs/appreciates and will need/appreciate require increasingly higher intelligence compared to previous generations. "From each according to their ability and to each according to their need." Genetics is highly predictive of one's intelligence, which means that those who are genetically disadvantaged are being increasingly left behind: contributing less and therefore deserving of less. Humans are not magically exempt from scientific laws of heritable traits, we are mammals after all, not some super race of beings comprised of energy or some , no matter how much wishful-thinking we want to fling.

    What is the alternative to the naturally emergent ideals of egalitarianism and meritocracy? Dystopian stagnation from enforced equity? Rigid caste systems? Both of those have failed. In the end moderation wins out, like always.
    Common decency. We saw in 1945 what happened when eugenics ran amok. Scientific laws, my arse. Those genetically 'perfect' Hitler Youth couldn't stand up to good old allied steel.

    Crank science won't help these lads, or indeed anyone else, which is ironic because racists had relied on it for avocating discrimination before their own dropped down the performance tables.
    Last edited by mongrel; January 14, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  7. #147
    Himster's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, The Peoples Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,653

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Common decency.
    I've always found this to be an oxymoronic concept: Anything common is rarely decent.
    Besides everyone has their own idea as to what common decency is, regularly at odds with the ideas of others.
    They also change as quickly and ephemerally as fashion, emerging into and passing from the world like split waisted pantaloons or high collared evening dresses. Who now partakes in the fashion of shaming couples who hold hands in public? I was just writing a paper comparing the Sumptuary laws of Early Medieval Ireland and Classical Greece, I can tell you that those notions of codified common decency wouldn't chime with a single person alive.

    We saw in 1945 what happened when eugenics ran amok. Scientific laws, my arse. Those genetically 'perfect' Hitler Youth couldn't stand up to good old allied steel.
    The fact that some random people once killed a load of other random people a million ing years ago hardly changes the fact that humans are subject to heritable traits.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  8. #148

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    I've always found this to be an oxymoronic concept: Anything common is rarely decent.
    Besides everyone has their own idea as to what common decency is, regularly at odds with the ideas of others.
    They also change as quickly and ephemerally as fashion, emerging into and passing from the world like split waisted pantaloons or high collared evening dresses. Who now partakes in the fashion of shaming couples who hold hands in public? I was just writing a paper comparing the Sumptuary laws of Early Medieval Ireland and Classical Greece, I can tell you that those notions of codified common decency wouldn't chime with a single person alive.
    Eugenics is simply a moronic concept. Like a flat Earth, or the vaxxer movement which seems to have become fashionable. Any dumb sod can get on in life with an expensive education, the right contacts and a large trust fund, behold Boris Johnson or Trump. They can't hold a candle to Abraham Lincoln, born dirt poor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The fact that some random people once killed a load of other random people a million ing years ago hardly changes the fact that humans are subject to heritable traits.
    An the eugenically selected traits of Nazi Germany weren't fit for survival .What would Darwin have made of that?

    Again you offer nothing that would uplift white working class British kids . A few books and some dinner would help, I can guarantee it.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  9. #149
    NorseThing's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    western usa
    Posts
    2,581

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    The irony is in how we generate statistics. It is no surprise that white males from working class parents are underrepresented in university classrooms. That is the particular demographic that probably perceives other viable options rather than college profession for career incomes. If you start out slower to learn to read than the girls and unlike the minorities are not getting the attention to read better, you start at an early age looking for other options than being a doctor or lawyer or whatever.

    Part of the problem today is not what this study covers, but that the working class steel worker or welder has lost relative ground to the educated profession over the past decade or so.

    This is from about one year ago, but it is still interesting: https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...nority/536103/

    No, it is not about the UK. No it is not specifically about working class white males, but it is pretty good at what this thread is speaking about.

    For example:
    “It’s funny that it’s the colleges that are finally seeing this issue and trying to resolve it,” said Patrick Maloney, the president of the Nativity School, a Jesuit Catholic middle school in the central Massachusetts city of Worcester that tries to aim low-income boys toward college. That’s because, by the time students reach college age, Maloney said, “It’s way too late. You’ve already lost them. Maybe [admissions officers] should be going into middle schools and start talking to fifth-graders about the benefits of college education.”


    Or even earlier than that. The “anti-school, anti-education sentiment” in boys has roots in kindergarten, when they’re slower to learn to read than girls, said Jim Shelley, the manager of the Men’s Resource Center at Lakeland Community College in Ohio. Girls at the primary and secondary level worldwide far outperform boys in reading, according to the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.





  10. #150

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    The irony is in how we generate statistics. It is no surprise that white males from working class parents are underrepresented in university classrooms. That is the particular demographic that probably perceives other viable options rather than college profession for career incomes. If you start out slower to learn to read than the girls and unlike the minorities are not getting the attention to read better, you start at an early age looking for other options than being a doctor or lawyer or whatever.

    Part of the problem today is not what this study covers, but that the working class steel worker or welder has lost relative ground to the educated profession over the past decade or so.

    This is from about one year ago, but it is still interesting: https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...nority/536103/

    No, it is not about the UK. No it is not specifically about working class white males, but it is pretty good at what this thread is speaking about.

    For example:
    This is a bad way to characterize labor dynamics in United States. The reality is, that "Coal Miner" vs "Liberal Elite" is a narrative that suits poor Whites in coal towns, but that's not really how the labor force is broken down. Real Median income is 32,000$. People who earn below that are pre-school and kindergarten teachers, cosmetics workers (like the stereotypical Vietnamese woman), casino workers, pet workers (like those guys you see at Petco or a local equivalent), janitors, non-union handymen, low-skill factory workers, salesmen, extraction industry (like the aforementioned miners), etc.

    Then there are people who make quite a bit of money, but are without college education, often above median wage. I'm talking about Unionized skilled labor like electricians, maintenance workers, mechanics, machinists, middle management, plumbers, technicians, entry level administrator assistants, police, etc.

    And by the way, those people, tend to earn just as much, in the vicinity of, or sometimes even more than the so-called "liberal elite". And who are the liberal elite really? They're not just computer science majors and marketing whizzes who earn 100k$+ in silicon valley. They aren't highly paid, tenured, college professors who work in UCs or Ivys. No, the "liberal elite" that so many whine about, are high school teachers, video and photo editors (many of whom work on below minimum wage during the beginnings of their career), interior designers, librarians, archivists, law workers, specialized or high-level government workers like forest rangers/data analysts, writers, linguists, and therapists.

    Both groups have decently high wages, but one group tends to vote for Trump, and the other tends to vote for Democrats. What's the difference? Education. So quite frankly, this isn't so much about the reality of an "oppressed" white male class, as it is about "feeling" oppressed. My father is an electrician who regularly notices racism and xenophobia among his co-workers. He frequently comments about how he can never be "in" with the management and the buddy groups that form in his workplace. He regularly comments about how his work ethic and labor is what earns him his spot, whereas many of his coworkers can slack off and get by due to being White and friendly. That's not an isolated coincidence. I've worked and I've seen how such industries operate and the dynamics of local relationships. There's a reason why White men dominate such workplaces. Mechanics, construction workers, and technicians... They form white-only cliques who regularly feel oppressed by even a hint of what they coin as "counter-racism". These people earn a good living, they're not oppressed in any way whatsoever. In fact, I rarely see immigrants among them, despite there being plenty of immigrants who would love to have those high-wages coupled with low educational requirement. Why? Lots of reasons, and racism plays a part.

    So no, I disagree with this narrative of "oppressed" and "left behind" white males. There are plenty of people who earn just as little as them, I was one of those people. This isn't anything but an excuse to be racist. You see, it's very easy to justify police brutality towards black people if black people are portrayed as criminals and gang bangers. The same goes for the "liberal elite" and "immigrants". It's real easy to blame them when you paint a narrative of how these college-educated folks are earning six-figures, and immigrants are taking all the McDonald jobs. Poor Johnny over here is merely earning 35$ per hour and gets unemployment benefits from his Union. Yeah, feeling real oppressed on his couch, drinking beer, watching his orange-headed idol telling how he will build a wall and have Mexico pay American Union workers to do it.

  11. #151

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    You blame it on racism, but US isn't the world, and your personal experience or that of your father doesn't account for the issue as a whole. The Statistics are what they are, the studies are what they are, regardless of your personal opinion of low income, or lesser educated ( in other words less privileged) white males, in the united states.

    The truth is you have been dismissing a real issue, clouding it, with Politics, and Racism. and that is a disservice.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; January 14, 2019 at 11:50 PM.

  12. #152

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    You blame it on racism, but US isn't the world, and your personal experience or that of your father doesn't account for the issue as a whole.
    Norse Thing brought up US labor markets, so I replied, about US labor markets. I am very well aware that US isn't the world, though in your context, the "World" merely means Europe. Newsflash, Population of US+Canada is roughly 400 million. Europe, 750 million. US is pretty much a third of the "World". So what goes on in US is very much relevant to contrast to what goes on in Europe.

    And by the way, things are even more heavily stacked against the "oppression" narrative. Not only do many Western European countries enjoy far more benefits and privileges than American workers ever have or ever will, but they are far more homogeneous than America.

    85%+ of UK is White.
    90%+ of Germany is European.

    Et cetera. The whine about the "oppressed" White male in Europe in unbelievable. You have any idea how many foreigners and immigrants I see on a daily basis? The working class should always have issues. They should bring them up, but the moment this becomes about race and other ethnic groups, and Whites being "left behind" I'm out. This particular thread only highlights that we need to take better care of the poor, not that there is a conspiracy or prejudice against the White man.


    The Statistics are what they are, the studies are what they are, regardless of your personal opinion of low income, or lesser educated ( in other words less privileged) white males, in the united states.
    I am quoting statistics. The United States isn't comprised of oppressed White coal workers. In fact, in the industries I mentioned, the demographics are overwhelmingly male and White.

  13. #153

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Sukiyama is right on one thing , a degree in itself is not an indicator of financial success. Ask any train driver.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  14. #154

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Oppression? i thought we were talking about how a certain group is doing worse at school, and at college.

    This particular thread only highlights that we need to take better care of the poor, not that there is a conspiracy or prejudice against the White man.
    And so it happens there is a lot of poor, or unprivileged white people too.

    Sukiyama is right on one thing , a degree in itself is not an indicator of financial success. Ask any train driver.
    I agree, however, in the big picture that might not hold. In my country im sick and tired of hearing that having a degree does make a difference in the long term, for even landing a job.

    Also those kind of jobs are they not in the list for being replaced by AI? (drivers and such)
    Although that is another problem.

  15. #155
    Himster's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, The Peoples Republic of Ireland
    Posts
    9,653

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Eugenics is simply a moronic concept.
    Agreed. But engineering an ideal society through biological means is hardly worse than engineering an ideal society through enforced social "justice".

    Like a flat Earth, or the vaxxer movement which seems to have become fashionable.
    You can deny all you want, but humans are subject to heritable traits, like all animals. I would argue that denial of science would place one in the same camp as flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and creationists.

    Any dumb sod can get on in life with an expensive education, the right contacts and a large trust fund, behold Boris Johnson or Trump. They can't hold a candle to Abraham Lincoln, born dirt poor.
    Individual exceptions are irrelevant and actually distract from the issue at hand. In fact that's usually the tactic of the right wing: pull yourself up by the bootstraps and so on.
    The brain, being a muscle, can be improved through use. But not by much, we're subject to biological limits and heritable traits. There are limits. Even the elasticity of IQ (minor as it is) favours the upperclass and disadvantages the lowerclass as the upperclass has additional access to materials and assistance.

    Again you offer nothing that would uplift white working class British kids .
    Nothing will uplift working class kids, that's my point. It's not the result of diversity, or any conspiracy, the working class stays the same as a general rule because of genetic determinism. Quite at the odds of both the Hegelian Dialectic and the marxist dialectic.

    A few books and some dinner would help, I can guarantee it.
    Yes, it does. But only individually and only exceptionally.
    (anecdote time, yay: getting away from the intelligence quotient aspect)
    I was a junior-high-school teacher in a rather rough area in Japan, it was a ghetto. Imagine pikies but with manners and no caravans. These are the burakumin people, a thousand years of discrimination, during the censuses of the Edo period they were not counted as humans. These days, as a general rule they leave school at 15, like their grandparents, parents did and their children will. They take the jobs of their parents: butchers, fishermen, housewives, leatherworkers, abattoir workers etc.
    It is practically impossible for these children to go to college and change their socio-economic-class. In the west, it's not so different, I mean it's a little different, but there's a mentality of distilled identity that's hard to break out of. Like in Ireland for example, we don't have racism on par with the US or even the UK, we have harsher stereotypes concerning accents rather than skin tone. Even I: a conscientious, cosmopolitan, liberal individual will cross the road when I hear certain accents (North-Dublin). It's probably not even accurate to call this a socio-economic class thing per-se, but instead it is its own separated society. They have their own values, hair-styles, preferred jobs, food, drinks, they prefer heroine/meth over weed and cocaine. I'm sure other countries have similar sub-groups that tend to keep to their own with similar limitations on their ability to alter their socio-economic situation.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

  16. #156

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Agreed. But engineering an ideal society through biological means is hardly worse than engineering an ideal society through enforced social "justice".



    You can deny all you want, but humans are subject to heritable traits, like all animals. I would argue that denial of science would place one in the same camp as flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and creationists.



    Individual exceptions are irrelevant and actually distract from the issue at hand. In fact that's usually the tactic of the right wing: pull yourself up by the bootstraps and so on.
    The brain, being a muscle, can be improved through use. But not by much, we're subject to biological limits and heritable traits. There are limits. Even the elasticity of IQ (minor as it is) favours the upperclass and disadvantages the lowerclass as the upperclass has additional access to materials and assistance.



    Nothing will uplift working class kids, that's my point. It's not the result of diversity, or any conspiracy, the working class stays the same as a general rule because of genetic determinism. Quite at the odds of both the Hegelian Dialectic and the marxist dialectic.



    Yes, it does. But only individually and only exceptionally.
    (anecdote time, yay: getting away from the intelligence quotient aspect)
    I was a junior-high-school teacher in a rather rough area in Japan, it was a ghetto. Imagine pikies but with manners and no caravans. These are the burakumin people, a thousand years of discrimination, during the censuses of the Edo period they were not counted as humans. These days, as a general rule they leave school at 15, like their grandparents, parents did and their children will. They take the jobs of their parents: butchers, fishermen, housewives, leatherworkers, abattoir workers etc.
    It is practically impossible for these children to go to college and change their socio-economic-class. In the west, it's not so different, I mean it's a little different, but there's a mentality of distilled identity that's hard to break out of. Like in Ireland for example, we don't have racism on par with the US or even the UK, we have harsher stereotypes concerning accents rather than skin tone. Even I: a conscientious, cosmopolitan, liberal individual will cross the road when I hear certain accents (North-Dublin). It's probably not even accurate to call this a socio-economic class thing per-se, but instead it is its own separated society. They have their own values, hair-styles, preferred jobs, food, drinks, they prefer heroine/meth over weed and cocaine. I'm sure other countries have similar sub-groups that tend to keep to their own with similar limitations on their ability to alter their socio-economic situation.
    IQ is a number which can to a large extent easily be increased by anyone who wants by practice, and should definitely not be used to justify class politics and the extreme growth of inequality. Inequality which is now far more in societies like the UK than 40 years ago, despite of the fact that genetics was as much a factor then as now.

    What you are proposing is an ideology of determinism that will do nothing but justify inflicting misery on others, just like eugenics did before then, even if it was based on truth. But it's not, because you are basing your reasoning only on what you think is science, but what really is just psychology -- a field that is not considered scientific by anyone who works in actual science (i.e. STEM). Indeed, in science we have something called "hypothesises" and "falsification". If we take your hypothesis, which is that things are like they are because the poor are stupid, then how would you explain a society such as e.g. Norway, Denmark or Sweden?

    These are countries where almost everyone is able to live good lives, because the society as a whole agrees that everyone's "in the same boat", unlike the "it's up to the individual to succeed"-mentality of the UK. Furthermore, if you look at actual statistics instead of psychology studies, such as those estimating "intergenerational social mobility", you will find that in e.g. Norway it's far more statistically difficult to predict wealth of a child based on his/her parent than in the UK, where it's pretty much rich parents => rich kids due to how the society is built up. And, as I mentioned before, inequality is rising dramatically in the UK, while social mobility is decreasing. I hardly think the reason for this is because the poorer are getting stupider and rich are getting smarter.

    Furthermore, I have personally met and seen so many people, ranging from working class, middle class, upper middle up to even a few from truly rich families, that my anecdotal experience is that it's largely not book smarts that make you successful -- but rather things such as mental health, healthy values, good work/financial ethics, interpersonal skills and so on, which are obviously skills/character traits that can be taught in decent schools and stable homes. And from what I observe, these are indeed instilled in the UK, but mostly for those from privileged backgrounds.
    Last edited by Nikitn; Yesterday at 06:51 AM.

  17. #157

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    Nikitn, I thank you for restoring my faith in this age of ignorance. There's a Campaign for Real Ale. There ought to be one for real science.


    I salute you.

    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  18. #158
    Decanus
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: The effect of ''diversity and inclusion'' policies: white working class British kids worst performing group in education

    @Nikitin: That´s a great post, than you.
    @topic: We had this whole topic in Germany with Mr. Sarazin, who arqued in his popular book "Deutschland schafft sich ab" e.g. "Germany abolishes itself", that Muslims have generally a lower IQ and will therefore lower the general IQ of the german population... Its unbelieveable how many people paid for this pseudoscience bull.
    Alot of people just don`t know how genetics work, and a lot of people that know it don`t know how statistics work.
    And then there are people who know both, but are altering the data to fit their political Agenda or make money.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •