Thread: 3 months from release ...

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Default 3 months from release ...

Here we are just before the holidays and I am finding it frustrating with the lack of information in regards to the “Classic Mode” of the game. I still am confused whit the new concept that they are going to implement. We know about all these different characters in the game that people can play, what about the rest of us who at this moment in time are only interested in the classic aspect of the game?

I already know the answer is “SOON”from CA.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: 3 months from release ...

Majority of info is usually in the last month with early access gameplays in the last week +/-. We just got nice double preivew about politics and we will get more previews as getting near the release date. So yeah, understand it is frustrating but it is normal. Nothing special here...
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 15, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

I'm not sure there's anything much to show about Classic mode. At this point, we know what it entails. It's just a change from single entity to general bodyguard units and the removal of most general special abilities other than rally/inspire.

I don't think even those of us who are going to primarily play in Classic mode are going to have our opinions swayed by being showed it. It's basically just saying, "Yep, these things are the same as they've always been."

Almost certainly classic mode hasn't been implemented yet or otherwise CA would have offered some snippets of it to please the worrying customers and silence the snarky comments about the true nature of the Three Kingdoms. I wouldn't be surprised if classic mode was invented, as a response to the negativity following the martial arts trailer, although even back then it was (obviously falsely) denied that karate will play any crucial role in the game. I suppose the history mode will be added in the last months, although CA has a history of dumping advertised features, sometime during the development phase, such as the much highlighted Seven Seals mechanic for Attila. After all, the main goal of the historical mode is to negate any criticism for lack of accuracy, by pointing towards a different mysterious game, where generals will not converse in an extremely cheesy dialogue, will not annihilate entire regiments with a pair of lethal tomahawks and, last but not least, naval mines will not be included in their military wardrobe. Daruwing is generally correct that we receive a disproportionately large amount of information during the last three months, but, to be honest, the absence of news remains remarkable. If next week is as empty as this one, then we should probably expect nothing until middle January, as Christmas is a dead period for marketing. In comparison to Rome II, a game about which the community was kept in the dark, it is rather weird that only two battles have been showcased and that not all warlords are revealed.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; December 15, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

There will be no classic mode. CA struggles to offer a single complete experience on day 1. See Rome 2 or Warhammer 2.

Do not expect them to offer 2 fully completed experience this time.

Rome 2 launch problems were real but it was mostly due to bad PR and driving hype too far with unrealistic dreams. I can just look at Star Citizen with thier sales of ships for xxxx dollars. Point is, don´t lose realistic altitude, CA offering enough material pre release lately to make good call if to buy or not. :-)

And what is problem with Wh2? Norsca or Mortal Empires? Both can by logically explained. ME is completely different campaign merging two games worth of content into one giant and Norsca in WH2 is not even playable in Vortex campaign. Norsca in Wh2 is playable again only in ME and because work on ME began a long time before CA even produced Norsca....you can easily see where problems started. By the time ME was almost ready they were forced to implement Norsca but due to changes between Wh1->Wh2 game, it was not possible and CA ended with manual recreating whole Norsca for Wh2 from scratch. CA was honest, said what was problem and in the end, they implemented all.

Now in 3K the classic mode and romance mode are on the very same map with same factions, units.....everything is changed only some mechanics are disabled in classic mode. This is completely different story (but sure, anything can go down, we will know by the release date..)

This is what confuses me in classic mode. Do you pick a faction or a character (who has his own bodyguard)?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDionne View Post
    This is what confuses me in classic mode. Do you pick a faction or a character (who has his own bodyguard)?
    In all cases you pick a warlord who is the head of a family/faction. It's not structurally different from other historical total wars except what they choose to emphasize.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    In all cases you pick a warlord who is the head of a family/faction. It's not structurally different from other historical total wars except what they choose to emphasize.
    So what you are saying is you pick a character then pick a faction for that character? This is classic mode right?

So what you are saying is you pick a character then pick a faction for that character? This is classic mode right?
    No, you pick a character who is the head of a faction, thereby picking the faction. If said character dies, you play as their heir, the new head of the faction, and so on and so forth.

It will the same princip as is in Warhammer. Race/faction like elves is composed from multiple lords leading small subfactions with ability to confederate in-game, each one having little different effect. Basically what was considered to be culture group in Rome2/Attila with multiple factions, that is now playable faction in 3K with multiple characters leading sub-factions.

This is (at the top are different culture groups, usually each contains several factions, each such factions represented with starting character)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

being converted into this (at the top you have various factions, each one with a few Legendary Lords/starting characters)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Daruwind; December 16, 2018 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Almost certainly classic mode hasn't been implemented yet or otherwise CA would have offered some snippets of it to please the worrying customers and silence the snarky comments about the true nature of the Three Kingdoms. I wouldn't be surprised if classic mode was invented, as a response to the negativity following the martial arts trailer, although even back then it was (obviously falsely) denied that karate will play any crucial role in the game. I suppose the history mode will be added in the last months, although CA has a history of dumping advertised features, sometime during the development phase, such as the much highlighted Seven Seals mechanic for Attila. After all, the main goal of the historical mode is to negate any criticism for lack of accuracy, by pointing towards a different mysterious game, where generals will not converse in an extremely cheesy dialogue, will not annihilate entire regiments with a pair of lethal tomahawks and, last but not least, naval mines will not be included in their military wardrobe. Daruwing is generally correct that we receive a disproportionately large amount of information during the last three months, but, to be honest, the absence of news remains remarkable. If next week is as empty as this one, then we should probably expect nothing until middle January, as Christmas is a dead period for marketing. In comparison to Rome II, a game about which the community was kept in the dark, it is rather weird that only two battles have been showcased and that not all warlords are revealed.
    You're always so negative. Lighten up a bit mate . By this line of logic, are we to assume that field battles have yet to be implemented as we have not actually seen one yet? I do agree that the lack of news for either mode is very weird but I expect it will pick up come New Years, and also obviously we did just get two big videos and quite a few blogs.

legate's Avatar Campidoctor

CA published a blog article in which they claimed that if they had not had added in the additional romance mode the game would simply be a historical title like the ones before. That would indicate to me that romance mode came after classic. But that may not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    No, you pick a character who is the head of a faction, thereby picking the faction. If said character dies, you play as their heir, the new head of the faction, and so on and so forth.
    Isn't it like Attila? There, warlords, or faction leaders had the spotlight as well.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Isn't it like Attila? There, warlords, or faction leaders had the spotlight as well.
    Still not totally clear on how the classic mod works. Nobody knows until we see something released from CA.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Nah, it is all the time the same. Even in Empire the starting character was predetermined only rarely we were speaking about picking characters, instead we were talking about picking faction. Napoleon, Shogun 2, Rome 2 , Attila even ToB and WH(s) are the same. Only in later like ToB and especially Wh(s) the focus is more on the leading character. It is minor shift as earlier we had usually culture group with multiple factions, while now they are more pushing faction with more sub-factions each one with distinctive character.

Just look at Rome 2. Hellenistic states (culture group) for example with multiple factions like Macedon, Selucid, Ptolemy...while Rome (faction) is put on the same level with culture group and has 3 sub-factions (Cornelia, Junia, Julia).

These shifts are usually for allowing some kind of confederating mechanics etc..

Why should it be different in classic and romance mode? There is no reason. So fat it looks like there is only one culture group and any faction can take over others....like Shogun 2 for example. Maybe some factions will be grouped into Rise/Fall of Samurai style where they will be splitted into a few groups...
    Last edited by Daruwind; January 29, 2019 at 04:45 AM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Maybe some factions will be group into Rise/Fall of Samurai style where there will be split into a few groups...
    I'm under the same impression

Still not totally clear on how the classic mod works. Nobody knows until we see something released from CA.
    They provided enough detail to know what it will be. It's just the general's unit being a more traditional Total War unit instead of a single entity unit. Other than that everything will be the same.
    The Armenian Issue

Armor and weapons in Classic Mode for unique characters will also be more toned down and period accurate, battle balancing will be different in classic mode in some way, we aren't sure on the specifics of it though. For example they mention that Fatigue goes much quicker in Classic mode as one thing, we aren't sure on much else though.