View Poll Results: What should we do with the last faction slot?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it for a new faction

51 37.50%
  • Use it for scripting purposes

84 61.76%
  • Not use it at all, leave it forever open

1 0.74%
  • Something else entirely, not listed above!

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [30th Faction slot] What would you like to see?

Default Re: [30th Faction slot] What would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    The "ideal" path in my mind would be to find a way were we could select the faction roster for a specific campaign. For example, if you were playing with carthage, maybe it would make more of a challenge if you had AI factions like syrakuse, messana or ilergetes around you, in place of some other eastern factions. How it would work? You launch EBII and it opens a menu that lets you choose the factions in your roster. So probably, most of the current factions (more active in the time period) would be locked on the roster, leaving like a 5 or so slots the player could pick. Quintus Mod for epeirus is the spiritual inspiration for this idea.

Unfortunately this would give a ton of work to an already busy team, besides the nightmare it would be to make a proper balanced campaign map, probably a lot of crashes it would cause, not save game compatible...etc.

Maybe someone will be interested and try to make a mod out of this, I wouldn't recommend
    That could be solved with a submod focused in the west and another focused in the east but of course it would be a lot of work, so many work that it could very well be another mod.
    Still, imagine a submod focused in the Second Punic War, with Hannibal and Scipio fighting as well as other famed persons and with these factions:
    Roma, Carhage, Makedonia, Celtiberian, Lusitanian, Ilgertae, Insumbres, Aedui, Arveni, Syrakuse, Massalia, Capua, Aetolian league, Ptolemaic Egypt, Seleucid Empire, Pergamon, Boii, Galatia, Rhodes, Pontus, Achaean league, Iberian cities, Galician, Dardani, and many others x)

Editing an existing faction, the way I did for the Syrakousai submod (updated version in the works), is much easier that creating a new faction from scratch.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    That could be solved with a submod focused in the west and another focused in the east but of course it would be a lot of work, so many work that it could very well be another mod.
    Still, imagine a submod focused in the Second Punic War, with Hannibal and Scipio fighting as well as other famed persons and with these factions:
    Roma, Carhage, Makedonia, Celtiberian, Lusitanian, Ilgertae, Insumbres, Aedui, Arveni, Syrakuse, Massalia, Capua, Aetolian league, Ptolemaic Egypt, Seleucid Empire, Pergamon, Boii, Galatia, Rhodes, Pontus, Achaean league, Iberian cities, Galician, Dardani, and many others x)
    That would be a major mod by itself, so allot of work indeed, specially to do the proper research up to EB II standards. Still a great idea, better than mine.

It seems the team have at least already one new faction in the forge, but if they didn't would it make sense having the two remaining slots be divided into "west rebels" and "east rebels" for a more cohesive challenge? And the "rebels rebels" representing provinces or areas of the map that weren't that active on the time period.

I voted for scripting, because I don't feel that there are any factions I'd love to see that we are missing, so I'm content with the current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    That would be a major mod by itself, so allot of work indeed, specially to do the proper research up to EB II standards. Still a great idea, better than mine.

It seems the team have at least already one new faction in the forge, but if they didn't would it make sense having the two remaining slots be divided into "west rebels" and "east rebels" for a more cohesive challenge? And the "rebels rebels" representing provinces or areas of the map that weren't that active on the time period.
    DBM tried in a second patch but didn't really finished the concept, you can play it, but it's not that good, still the map is more restricted to the west and you will have a lot of territories in that part.

Hum..no. Already if this last faction slot is reserved for sripting we can have another "global" rebel faction, there is no need for west/east rebel factions especially because there were so many peoples in the Ancient times that we can't really just divide them in east and west, it's a lot more than that.

Another faction is cool and all, but I am perpetually amazed with how much insane depth you fellas manage to get from scripting. Given that you are so damn good at it, to the point that it just seems like magic, I think you should use it for scripting!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Master Celeborn's Avatar Libertus

my idea was to implant a new faction and I recommand Illyria for the 30th slot. Because a big rebel gap exist in balkans and need to be filled. Also, this faction could threat rome on another front.

But an official sumod who remove illyria and implant script couldbe great.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We could do much more sophisticated things than are possible with the existing Rebel faction alone. It would have full CAI (rather than a stunted version of it) and wider scripting possibilities (even small things like being able to spawn navies - you can't do that with the Rebels).
    With that explanation, I can't possibly vote for anything other than reserving it for scripting purposes. Factions seem pretty well-covered, especially considering you can't add any new cultures. I suppose you could add another Greek faction like Syrakousai or Massilia, and as interesting as that would be (big fan of Greek factions in TW games) I'm more intrigued by the potential for scripting.

The Senate and the People of Rome believe that scripting would open more possibilities for this mod and make it more interesting and immersive. A new faction won't make the game as immersive and tbh I doubt if many will even play it. Since scripting will affect the whole game then everyone will enjoy its positive benefits and not only a few. Therefore the Republic casts its vote in favor of scripting.
    My AAR- The Restoration of the Empire-A Vanilla Byzantine AAR

Anything to continue to add depth and immersion tot he game play in my book, and my vote would be for scripting as I still have not played half the factions in ten years on this mod and its previous incarnation

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Since scripting can add some more immersion use it for that.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

While a new faction is always cool and theres indeed some spaces (geographically and of faction type) that could be filled I think scripting is the way to go because it opens many more opportunities regarding the experience with all factions. And submods can always allow to have other factions by modfying existing ones.

The main grumbling may be that if the scripting does produce nice mini faction behaviour, Epeiros as a full faction may be even harder to justify.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

I hope last faction will be Kingdom Of Kartli

This thread says it’s for a 30th faction slot, but isn’t the 29th also open? Have you guys found a faction for it?

As for this discussion I went for new faction, but any choice the EB team makes will be amazing.

I personally think that there are so many interesting potential factions. My top has been Meroe. It has limited expansion through rebels, but as Pergamon I always expanded first through the Seleucids and Ptolemies anyways. I’ve also noticed the Prolemies always become a big power, Meroe could serve as an early game check on them. More importantly, it would be an interesting and unique faction that could use some depth.

The Scordisci or some Illyrian faction would also provide a faction in an area that isn’t heavily populated.

Voted scripting.
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Barring the Qin or Han Dynasty of China/northern Vietnam/northern Korea, then I go with the Maurya Empire of India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.

Illyrian faction please, that area of the map has always seemed so empty.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Jimalim

Old Georgia - kingdom Of Kartli ( Iberia ) - Gateway to the Caucasus
    Last edited by Khevsur; December 12, 2019 at 05:53 AM.

Bring back the Yuezhi invasion and have them evolve into the Kushan Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Goth View Post
    Bring back the Yuezhi invasion and have them evolve into the Kushan Empire
    A faction that would appear like 500 turns after the game starts?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast