View Poll Results: What should we do with the last faction slot?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it for a new faction

51 37.50%
  • Use it for scripting purposes

84 61.76%
  • Not use it at all, leave it forever open

1 0.74%
  • Something else entirely, not listed above!

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [30th Faction slot] What would you like to see?

Default Re: [30th Faction slot] What would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by Nimor View Post
    Sounds nifty, but for a single caveat: peace enforced galatians would be kind of an abomination.
    What you mean? That players would force the AI to make peace and prevent them from being a threat? That would classify as cheating and if we go that way, players could just write auto_win in every battles and destroy it anyway. The best parts of the game are for the players who try the least to cheat or just don't cheat at all to get a better position in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    However, it would be possible to have the last faction occupy a select group of provinces and enforce peace with all the other factions, so now you have trade, non-aggressive neighbors (which would be more faithful to history), and you can create all sorts of specialized "looks" to make them appear like completely unrelated mini-factions.
    You said it yourself, buddy. Don't know where you've got the idea of intended cheating from, likely a misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Yeah...you are probably right. Considering the amount of scripted rebel attacks and events in EBII, using the faction slot for scripting would affect far more factions than adding another faction somewhere on the map.
    This is the correct logic. Add one more faction, you increase existing fun by 1/30. Add more scripting possibilities, you are giving new life to all existing factions, doubling the existing fun by 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimor View Post
    You said it yourself, buddy. Don't know where you've got the idea of intended cheating from, likely a misunderstanding.
    Yeah, I misunderstood what you wrote. Enforce peace with the factions would be for a more general way, in which the factions would rather be at peace with half the map than at war. About your concern, we would be capable of scripting better Galatian invasions and movements with the scripted faction x)

Just to put my 2 cents into this, I always felt like a major point of EB was to showcase and teach about different peoples and groups during the time period through a fun and entertaining game, so I'm putting my vote in for a new faction because I feel like another in depth and detailed faction in the game which features an interesting and unique faction and set of units/governments and mechanics would be a more interesting route to take and benefit the mod more that better rebels. This of course depends on how well mini-factions can represent culture using scripting and historical events, but honestly I feel like a deep dive into one new group is better than a bunch of shallower ones. Also, I just want more walls of text about random government structures and peoples mmmm text.

For scripting, do pirate raiders that land in mini stacks and marauding fleets blocking ports for a turn or engaging weak troop transports in transit. Would be cool and perhaps not entirely ahistorical

Christianus's Avatar Miles

What about the "Bartix"!?! I have been waiting for that faction for years!
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Christianus View Post
    What about the "Bartix"!?! I have been waiting for that faction for years!
    Yes, yes, Bartix! For all who remember, this is THE faction we want to see!
    Btw, I'm just curious, it there any team member of the EBI active in the EBII team?

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Btw, I'm just curious, it there any team member of the EBI active in the EBII team?
    I was the EB1 Project Manager from V.74 through V1.0. And there are quite a few others who were active back then, mostly historians.
    EBII Council

Apani's Avatar Senator

Well, look at that, I'm voter #69. Anyways, scripting!

Better to have one less faction, if that can lead to a better experience for every other faction in the game.
    Last edited by Apani; December 20, 2018 at 04:02 PM.

just like the two gallic factions a belgic faction and a the british faction seem pretty similar, i kind of wish they would just change the brittish one into the belgic one as hard a decision it might be, the greatest gameplay i have seen from the british was seizing the entire british isles then attacking the continent and it just feels weird where maybe with that script faction the british could be represented as being very feirce and hard to takeover and control and give the belgic faction a challenge while they still have all of this business on both sides of the channel. i love the british faction but they dont add the greatest experience to other factions as much as other possible factions could have. its like the crimean faction i think another faction could would have been better in that area, a good expansive one that feels better then these crimean greeks taking over this empire in such a weird place, it would be nice if instead a faction would be like a steppe one and pose a threat to the balkans and fight with the scythians but i also love the crimean faction so its difficult.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Evans View Post
    just like the two gallic factions a belgic faction and a the british faction seem pretty similar, i kind of wish they would just change the brittish one into the belgic one as hard a decision it might be, the greatest gameplay i have seen from the british was seizing the entire british isles then attacking the continent and it just feels weird where maybe with that script faction the british could be represented as being very feirce and hard to takeover and control and give the belgic faction a challenge while they still have all of this business on both sides of the channel. i love the british faction but they dont add the greatest experience to other factions as much as other possible factions could have. its like the crimean faction i think another faction could would have been better in that area, a good expansive one that feels better then these crimean greeks taking over this empire in such a weird place, it would be nice if instead a faction would be like a steppe one and pose a threat to the balkans and fight with the scythians but i also love the crimean faction so its difficult.
    I disagree. The Pritanoi are the most different from the other Celtic factions. I understand its critics, but it comes mostly from the engine that isn't suited for naval expansion. But the team did a good job with this and the Pritanoi are trying several times to get into the continent, even from the beginning. However, we can argue about the use of two Gallic factions + a Belgian one in the region of the actual France.

And the problem with the Scythians is that they got expelled from the Balkans by the Celts and after that the Bastarnae drove them further in the Ukrainian steppes. Moreover, there is the Getai/Dacians whom prevents any return of the nomads to the Balkans in the game.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

After reading Lusitanios post (#37) there's just one sensible opinion to have (if you ask me): scripting purposes please.
    The presented possibilities are mouthwatering.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Tbh I'd like to see a proof of concept if you go for the second option.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Master Celeborn's Avatar Libertus

Illyria please

Scripting,i don't believe a new faction might have an impact in the game
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

Master Celeborn's Avatar Libertus

Maybe both could be implanted with an official submod ?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Celeborn View Post
    Maybe both could be implanted with an official submod ?
    Too much effort. Hard enough implementing two more factions, never mind a third with all the changing elements between the two and possibly a parallel build.

I'm torn. I would love Syracuse as a formal faction, but then the scripting solution seems like it would have more of a positive impact on the game.

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

The "ideal" path in my mind would be to find a way were we could select the faction roster for a specific campaign. For example, if you were playing with carthage, maybe it would make more of a challenge if you had AI factions like syrakuse, messana or ilergetes around you, in place of some other eastern factions. How it would work? You launch EBII and it opens a menu that lets you choose the factions in your roster. So probably, most of the current factions (more active in the time period) would be locked on the roster, leaving like a 5 or so slots the player could pick. Quintus Mod for epeirus is the spiritual inspiration for this idea.

Unfortunately this would give a ton of work to an already busy team, besides the nightmare it would be to make a proper balanced campaign map, probably a lot of crashes it would cause, not save game compatible...etc.

Maybe someone will be interested and try to make a mod out of this, I wouldn't recommend

Anyway, more scripting sounds great.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast