Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Thread: Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

  1. #1

    Default Historical Gameplay Let's Plays

    After a veeeery long hiatus, back playing the legendary EB.

    First campaign is centered on Antigonos II Gonatas and his fight to establish authority and rebuild the impoverished kingdom.

    Episode 1: https://youtu.be/9CQktWB0e08

    Episode 2: https://youtu.be/l8fABdVCiLg

    Episode 3: https://youtu.be/MWnVhULlCCc

    Episode 4: https://youtu.be/HF_xEBjRQnU

    Episode 5: https://youtu.be/lU4JAq7F-sw

    Episode 6: https://youtu.be/02uzUeQH2eU

    Episode 7 (Finale): https://youtu.be/-foKRZAVAlo


    PS. im quite rusty, havent played M2TW and its mods in ages, so let me know if there is any questions, comments or concerns.
    Last edited by Sarkiss; January 03, 2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: episode added

  2. #2

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Awesome! The mod to end all mods! Thanks for the lets play! Can't wait!

  3. #3
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    I really like the historical context you're adding to the gameplay with your commentary. Often when people narrate their Let's Play, they talk only about the gameplay decisions they're making, makes a change to hear about history instead.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    thanks. yes, thats the idea, to have a sort of hybrid between history and gameplay narration. the aim is to follow in the footsteps of the ancients, so to speak, and to play historically. will hopefully have the time to record another episode in the next couple of days. thrilled by the opportunity to have a massive EB battle, especially in the light of the relatively recent changes to phalanx and javelin-throwing infantry. will try and bring down Pyrrhus (the best general of the time) and his elephants.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    really enjoying this! thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    how do you move your battle line forward preserving the formation? havent played M2TW for so long i cant recall no more.

    episode two of Makedonian Restoration is live.

    a word of caution, do not save your game whilst PrtScn that removes the UI is activated. you wont be able to bring the UI back when that save is loaded. i couldnt once started to record this episode. was lucky the autosave was still on as i only deactivated it in EB.cfg and not the medieval2.preference.cfg (need to be done in both to work, it seems).

    oh, and dont underestimate Pyrrhus

  7. #7

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    double post, sorry, this post can be deleted
    Last edited by Sarkiss; December 13, 2018 at 03:11 PM.

  8. #8
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Make sure you disable that autosave, or it will corrupt your saved games at random.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    if you have your units assembled in the formation you want to keep, try hitting G to group them, and that seems to preserve the formation from then on, but i have frustrations with it pretty often

  10. #10

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Make sure you disable that autosave, or it will corrupt your saved games at random.
    got ya, thanks for a reminder.

    Quote Originally Posted by hlidskjalf View Post
    if you have your units assembled in the formation you want to keep, try hitting G to group them, and that seems to preserve the formation from then on, but i have frustrations with it pretty often
    thanks. i place them in group with G but cant recall how to order them forward so that they would maintain the battle-line order. cant remember, is it Ctrl + right click or is it Alt?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    maybe arrow key up pushes the formation forward? i just hold right click to set the formation at a more forward position

  12. #12

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by hlidskjalf View Post
    maybe arrow key up pushes the formation forward? i just hold right click to set the formation at a more forward position
    will try it out and report back. there are buttons for rotation, increasing/decreasing ranks, so fingers crossed there is one for advance as i find it tricky to have the line advance and align itself properly against enemy formation. thanks!

    in the meantime, episode 3 of Makedonian Restoration is now live.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    unfortunately arrow keys dont seem to work (to move units) as in Rome 2.
    nonetheless, Antigonos' fight for dominance in Peloponnese continues - episode 4 of Makedonian Restoration is live.

  14. #14
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,181

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    in the meantime, episode 3 of Makedonian Restoration is now live.
    You've misunderstood the purpose of the successor mechanic - it isn't to determine who is FL - that's always the FH. It's to determine who becomes the next FH, if the current one either dies or becomes FL.

  15. #15
    Lusitanio's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    The units seem very good, do you use any additional program for the graphics and/or units details?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You've misunderstood the purpose of the successor mechanic - it isn't to determine who is FL - that's always the FH. It's to determine who becomes the next FH, if the current one either dies or becomes FL.
    you're right! funny thing, i did know it but totally forgot (that its about the next potential FH). thats what happens when you havent played the game in years. a good system btw.
    thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    The units seem very good, do you use any additional program for the graphics and/or units details?
    no programs or graphical/visual add-ons, though i may add permanent arrows going forward (if its compatible, havent tried yet). what you see is 100% native EB. the only thing i've ensured is that unit detail is set to highest in .cfg
    and thanks for giving it a look. would have looked even better if YouTube assigned the vp9 codec, but well.

    episode 5 is up now

  17. #17
    Lusitanio's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    no programs or graphical/visual add-ons, though i may add permanent arrows going forward (if its compatible, havent tried yet). what you see is 100% native EB. the only thing i've ensured is that unit detail is set to highest in .cfg
    and thanks for giving it a look. would have looked even better if YouTube assigned the vp9 codec, but well.
    Nice to know its 100% native EBII, I didn't noticed because my pc is not that good, soo to play with huge scale I have to lower the graphics a bit x)
    If you're going to change the .cfg change also banners in the medieval 2 preferences file. I also disabled arrow markers but I still need to do more battles to see if I can play well without it.
    And I also thank you for making the videos, EBII needs to be more know to the public and you're helping a lot

  18. #18

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Nice to know its 100% native EBII, I didn't noticed because my pc is not that good, soo to play with huge scale I have to lower the graphics a bit x)
    If you're going to change the .cfg change also banners in the medieval 2 preferences file. I also disabled arrow markers but I still need to do more battles to see if I can play well without it.
    And I also thank you for making the videos, EBII needs to be more know to the public and you're helping a lot
    thanks.
    i used to playing without arrow markers etc. it makes for a much better overall feel of the battles, imho. playing and watching arent the same thing though. i tried to record it that way and reckon it makes for a rather confusing experience as far as viewing is concerned: hard to distinguish who is who and what units are ordered into action etc. i may be wrong and it'd be interesting to hear what others think, but that was my first impression. hence enabling those visual aids for recording.
    thanks again

  19. #19
    Lusitanio's Avatar Semisalis
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    460

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    thanks.
    i used to playing without arrow markers etc. it makes for a much better overall feel of the battles, imho. playing and watching arent the same thing though. i tried to record it that way and reckon it makes for a rather confusing experience as far as viewing is concerned: hard to distinguish who is who and what units are ordered into action etc. i may be wrong and it'd be interesting to hear what others think, but that was my first impression. hence enabling those visual aids for recording.
    thanks again
    You're right, I didn't think about that, indeed it would be harder for viewers to understand what would be happening during the battle. Do what you think it's best for you

  20. #20

    Default Re: Historical Gameplay, Makedonian Restoration (2.35)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    You're right, I didn't think about that, indeed it would be harder for viewers to understand what would be happening during the battle. Do what you think it's best for you
    yes, there are a number of things that you'd have to do somewhat differently when recording. being a chatter-box and providing an ongoing commentaries would be the most obvious example.

    episode 6 is here. gotta say, those elite hoplitai are bloody though cookies indeed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •