Thread: Taditional RTS Games

Default Taditional RTS Games

Is it just me or traditional RTS games have been lacking from the market in the past 5 years or so? A lot of us come from those times when we spent hours on Command&Conquer games like Red Alert 2, or Age of Empires III. The only recent major iteration I can think of is Starcraft II. Perhaps, major studies stopped making such games, or I'm just missing some that had some success. Any ideas?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Taditional RTS Games

New stuff still coming out for Age of Empires II.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

They are making a Conan RTS, and there are the C&C remasters coming in the future..As you say though, it's far from the most active genre. The only recent-ish games I can think of are Dawn of War 3, Grey Goo, Planterary Annihilation and Northgard (Northgard is a tile based RTS, quite interesting actually and it's the newest - and probably best - on the list!).
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Company of Heroes is doing quite well isn't it? Warcraft 3 is getting remastered too I think.

I get what you mean though; they're not as in vogue as they once were. Probably something to do with the inexorable rise of MOBAs and MMOs, as well as advances in console gaming which take a lot of players out of the RTS market.

Didn't Company of Heroes came out in 2013? You can actually download Company of Heroes 2 for free on Steam.

The fact that we have so many remastering going on is also testament to the fact that this genre is being left behind. People still want to play such games but there are no new major additions. That's why people look to the past and try to remaster Age of Empires, C&C or Warcraft games. What I want is new stories like that of Red Alert 3 or Tiberium Wars.
    The Armenian Issue

Try to remaster Age of Empires?

They did a damn good job of it. And in fact put out some really nice expansions at the same time.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Try to remaster Age of Empires?

They did a damn good job of it. And in fact put out some really nice expansions at the same time.
    My understanding of a remaster is that it's graphically enhanced. Hence, I see no reason to re-play a game just for that reason.

Which expansion are you referring to? The ones I could find was rather old.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    My understanding of a remaster is that it's graphically enhanced. Hence, I see no reason to re-play a game just for that reason.

Which expansion are you referring to? The ones I could find was rather old.
    It came out at the time of Windows 2000, got updated to Windows 10(a bigger thing than one realizes), along with the graphics enhancement. In the years since then it's had two expansions dropped that each have multiple civilizations and campaigns for those civilizations and voice acting for the campaigns in the latter release. Altogether, 13 new civilizations, 15 campaigns, and a treasure trove of multiplayer maps.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

A lot of people just pirate AoE2 and play on Voobly with less latency (Not just numbers, but in game responsiveness) in which they had to patch the game since without much latency monks became overpowered due to ease of issuing orders.
    炸鸡

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    They are making a Conan RTS, and there are the C&C remasters coming in the future..As you say though, it's far from the most active genre. The only recent-ish games I can think of are Dawn of War 3, Grey Goo, Planterary Annihilation and Northgard (Northgard is a tile based RTS, quite interesting actually and it's the newest - and probably best - on the list!).
    When I read that Northgard is tile-based RTS I had something like chess in my mind. When I saw it on a video somewhere it turned out to be quite different. It's tile-based in the sense that the map is divided into many small pieces where you can only build a limited number of buildings. It's an interesting concept for sure.
    The Armenian Issue

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Yeah, could probably have expla it a bit better! Quite reminiscent of the Settlers actually.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Oh, neat, as a big fan of Conan a new game is interesting news! Wise of experience I make myself no expectations, but none the less ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory