Thread: Katsumoto's Three Kingdoms Badges

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Katsumoto's Three Kingdoms Badges

Here are my badges for the Three Kingdoms Badge Competition. Went for a traditional Chinese painting style. Please feel free to suggest improvements. Thanks!

"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: Katsumoto's Three Kingdoms Badges

I do like them but in all honesty, if I had to choose between them, or Cedric's, or the current form we are using, I like the current form more (sorry Cedric ).

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Katsumoto,

I really like your badges, most certainly traditional and nostalgic. The Curator, Magistrate and Hex are more striking, guess they have more colour, really think the Citizen and Content staff require some more colour perhaps.

+Rep

NJ

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

cedric37's Avatar Why Not ?!
    Patrician Citizen

Really nice work here Kats

@pal: no problem bro I do like the current badges as well, but it's time for a little change
    Patronized by y2day/Patron of KDK, Swagger & Navajo Joe, of the Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice work! The parts that I wouldn't like to have are text overlapping with the figures and putting HEXAGON COUNCIL under Administrator.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks all. I'm not overly happy with the overlapping text either but it seemed like the lesser evil - if I reduce the size of the image, it loses too much detail, and if I reduce the size of the text, it seems too small. Hexagon Council under Administrator seemed like a decent compromise as that whole line is too long in my opinion, ideally we should use only Administrator or only Hexagon Council. I'll see what I can do about making Citizen and Content Staff more striking.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

About the Hexagon Council Administrator one, the point was raised already by cedric37 in our staff forum while preparing the competition. However, the answer from the higher office () was basically "no change for now".
    I'll ask again and see if the answer remains identical

About your badges, they look great. Have you tried to use another font - I'd say a more asian looking one - to see the result or is it a deliberate choice?
    Same remark about the edges /borders
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Lifth. I did struggle finding a good font as I'm not a big fan of most of the Asian fonts on Dafont.com - the font I'm using is supposed to represent Chinese caligraphy. Unsure about the border too, I was worried it might look too busy if it was too intricate, might play with it some more. Cheers for the feedback.

Blog Entries

The mix of fonts for the Hexagon Council and the Content Staff is a very nice touch in any case

Btw, Flinn has given an answer about the Hexagon Council - Administrator name possible change:
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    I'm afraid not; as afar as I know that name was picked by GED and he is the only one who can actually change it
    Anyway, he'll see if something can be done about that point but don't expect too much.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    Nice work! The parts that I wouldn't like to have are text overlapping with the figures and putting HEXAGON COUNCIL under Administrator.
    Like Lifth, I also like the change in the font between the two lines. And I also like your choice to use a more calligraphic font. The border could use a little splash though. Not too much (I like your badges more than Cedric's because I find his to be a bit too "busy"), but maybe a smallish border design.

Out of curiosity, what does the Chinese text on the side say? And what variant of Chinese have you used (I'd assume Mandarin, but it could be another)?
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I don't know what the text says unfortunately, I took it from a painting. Having a bit of trouble getting the file size to the 5kb limit though - seems I may have to simplify the design a fair bit. What's confusing me though is how the current badges managed to only be 5kb, since they seem about as detailed as mine.

No worries. I was just wondering.

Regarding the file size, have you tried using the image compression site that cedric37 suggested?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does the Chinese text on the side say? And what variant of Chinese have you used (I'd assume Mandarin, but it could be another)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Thanks, I don't know what the text says unfortunately, I took it from a painting.
    If you can post an enlarged version, I'll let you know It's a bit too small for me to read clearly at the moment.

And in terms of what variant of Chinese is being used, it probably won't be distinguishable, as dialectic variants tend to come across more in speech, rather than in writing (in other words, it is the pronunciation that will change, usually not the characters themselves). However, depending on the age of the painting in question, it will most likely be Classical, or faux-Classical Chinese.
    Last edited by Hitai de Bodemloze; December 06, 2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Araval View Post
    I don't mind the overlapping situation, it adds a certain emphasis on the rank name. In case of the moderator badge, he just needs to place that dude a bit more to the left. Great concept I must add.

Moderator Emeritus

@ Hitai - Don't have the larger image to hand at the moment, will post it when I find it.

@ Max - Thanks, yeah that fellow's a bit chunkier than the others, thanks for spotting.

Playing around with the border to make it more interesting:

Original for comparison:

The difference in the first new one seemed more noticeable in Photoshop, the border was supposed to be more ornate, but I'm leaning towards the second one in any case.

I like the second new one! It looks nice and adds a bit of flair.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

Second one for me as well
    May be move the chinese text a slight bit to the left in order to keep it fully visible