Thread: Is promoting rival characters a good way of gaining influence?

Default Is promoting rival characters a good way of gaining influence?

Other than loyalty and amazing bonuses, is promoting rival characters an effective way of increasing my political influence? Does the bonus to ruling political party influence outweight the gravitas increase they get for the promotion?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Is promoting rival characters a good way of gaining influence?

check the effects linked to the cursus honorum shown in the window tooltip.
    everything they get should be written there.

Hm yeah? Not sure I understand your answer. I am asking if the political influence to ruling party bonus outweights their gravitas gain (which affects THEIR political party influence).

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

If I understand you correctly, I will answer as follows. When you promote a character from another political party up the career ladder, the influence of your party decreases, but the loyalty of the other party to you grows.
    Personally, I use the promotion of characters from other parties solely for the sake of bonuses and loyalty. Points of influence for your party it does not add but only take away.
    Last edited by Alexander78; December 06, 2018 at 08:47 AM.

Patrician

check here to see what a new political rank will do.
    for what i recall it also slightly changes power when triggered, but can't remember how, maybe as per alex said.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Check how it says "+1 influence per turn for ruling political party (factionwide)". That's your party. Therefore promoting rivals increase your influence. But at the same time they get more gravitas which indirectly increases their influence. I am simply asking what the net value is considering these two modifiers.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    Check how it says "+1 influence per turn for ruling political party (factionwide)". That's your party. Therefore promoting rivals increase your influence.
    I've always tought that this applies only to the members of your political party, not others. Though, I may well be wrong about it.

That's what I meant. I feel like I'm explaining myself awfully in this post because all replies I'm getting seem to get it all backwards

Patrician

There are no backwards, simply check what effects are described in the tooltip. I'm quite sure what alex said is correct, so this party char will get power and then redistibute a part to main party only.
    I don't know how much gravitas affects power. Is hardcoded, so no one except CA can tell you.

So essentially the "+1 influence per turn for ruling political party (factionwide)" trait goes towards THEIR party and not mine? The wording suggests the complete opposite.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

As mentioned above, in my understanding this +1 bonus to political influence will apply ONLY if it's a member of your political party that gets promoted. For the members of other political parties, this bonus is void. I might be wrong, though.

I'll explain. Look at the first screen, pay attention to the influence of my party in the Senate and the loyalty of other parties to me.

Now look at the second screen. I secured a career for members of other parties. Notice how my influence in the Senate has changed and how the loyalty of other parties to me has changed. By the way, this way you can also control public order in the provinces.
    Last edited by Alexander78; December 07, 2018 at 05:00 PM.

Patrician

"+1 influence per turn for ruling political party (factionwide)" goes to ruling party (yours, not theirs) or it's not applied, not sure.
    But there are other % linked to events, can't recall now if they are all hardcoded or if some are into cdir (events) tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    "+1 influence per turn for ruling political party (factionwide)" goes to ruling party (yours, not theirs) or it's not applied, not sure.
    But there are other % linked to events, can't recall now if they are all hardcoded or if some are into cdir (events) tables.
    Ok if that's the case then that about clears it up Thanks!

And thank you Alexander, it indeeds seems that promoting someone instantly shifts influence. I did know about loyalty, that's how I kept other parties in line in my previous campaign. When you mean you can control public order you are referring to public order bonuses you get from promoted generals right?

You should try to keep a certain value of your influence in the Senate. The so-called golden mean. You can control your influence in such a way as I have already shown, depending on what you want. For example, excessively increasing your influence can reduce public order in your provinces and lead to unrest. The bonuses you get by promoting your own or others ' politicians and generals are ultimately expressed in the number of senators who support you. This is a really important indicator.
    I will add a little to make it clearer. Your general will receive bonuses to public order, but when he leaves the province, that bonus will go with him. But the characteristics from your influence in the Senate, if we say the example of Rome, spread to the whole faction. They will change only when your party's influence changes. I hope I answered your question. Cheers.
    Last edited by Alexander78; December 07, 2018 at 04:46 PM.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by kpagcha View Post
    Ok if that's the case then that about clears it up Thanks!
    I would like to be more explicit and I hope I'll be in an advanced stage of the political overhaul